Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I like how once again I have fallen for the tech relic curse.

Nostalgic about days past where I'd have some tech that I would use, remembering mainly the good parts
Think to myself, ah I can counter the bad parts by buying stuff way above the spec I originally had. Professional grade gear will mean no further issues!
Come to find you still have same issues, and a bunch of new ones due to the passage off time.

Doesn't even matter what specifically I'm talking about (the ingest of MiniDV tapes currently), it's the same drat thing every time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Bargearse posted:

It seems like these days the easier to use something is, the more of a pain in the arse it is fix when it inevitably breaks.

It turns out computers are actually really complicated and attempts to make them "user-friendly" to people who are unwilling to learn how to understand a complicated machine make the machine worse at its job, who knew

E: I've heard anecdotes about students in computer labs who are completely baffled by the ideas of "folders" and "the file system" after being raised on smartphones and there is simply not a :negative: big enough

Woolie Wool has a new favorite as of 17:58 on Jul 8, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I heard the same, it was always assumed that new generations of kids would be computer whizzes, but the opposite has happened. Gen X and the Millennials have a purpose afterall... we're the only ones who know how to program the VCR.

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

When I started as a university teaching assistant in 2011 I always had at least one junior engineering student baffled by the concept of using File Explorer to browse the C:\ drive. The gen-ed How to Computer 101 course was even worse.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Imagine if this whole time it started at the A drive but like no body wanted to admit it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I use a batch file so I never go "off-line" during the workday even if I'm napping, and the sales guys think I'm some sort of whizzard.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Woolie Wool posted:

E: I've heard anecdotes about students in computer labs who are completely baffled by the ideas of "folders" and "the file system" after being raised on smartphones and there is simply not a :negative: big enough

Navigating a file system has always been a pain point for people when learning computers, look at this article from 1996:

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/file-death/

People have been struggling with file systems conceptually since computers became household appliances. This is not really a new thing. It's not like there was a golden age in the 2000s before smartphones where people became experts at manipulating and naming files/folders in ways that make sense and then suddenly lost this ability.

Last Chance has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Jul 8, 2022

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

LifeSunDeath posted:

Imagine if this whole time it started at the A drive but like no body wanted to admit it.

If your computer doesn't have an A drive, it is off topic for this thread.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

VictualSquid posted:

If your computer doesn't have an A drive, it is off topic for this thread.

Yeah nah mine just has 8.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah nah mine just has 8.

DF0:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

You kids with your new systems.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I use a batch file so I never go "off-line" during the workday even if I'm napping, and the sales guys think I'm some sort of whizzard.

:hfive:
Ever since the start of work-from-home a couple years ago, it's become an unofficial rite of passage at my company (in the tech department, anyway) to code up your own little custom mouse jiggler script.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Powered Descent posted:

:hfive:
Ever since the start of work-from-home a couple years ago, it's become an unofficial rite of passage at my company (in the tech department, anyway) to code up your own little custom mouse jiggler script.

Old school people put their mouse on an analog clock and the movement of the second arm makes the mouse move enough to register as active.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
I explain navigating file systems to people as if they are using their kitchen. The kitchen is the C: drive, the cabinets are the folders in that, the shelves are another layer of folders, that can of tomato sauce is your file.

It seems to get through?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

We already had a perfect analogy to explain the relationship of files to folders, but nobody actually does filing anymore

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

lobsterminator posted:

Old school people put their mouse on an analog clock and the movement of the second arm makes the mouse move enough to register as active.

Yeah but, like, my watch is on my wrist. That's uncomfortable.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Hitachi magic wand + webVibe online dildo controller + mouse

SIMPLE SOLUTION

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Last Chance posted:

Navigating a file system has always been a pain point for people when learning computers, look at this article from 1996:

https://www.nngroup.com/articles/file-death/

People have been struggling with file systems conceptually since computers became household appliances. This is not really a new thing. It's not like there was a golden age in the 2000s before smartphones where people became experts at manipulating and naming files/folders in ways that make sense and then suddenly lost this ability.

It doesn't help that nowadays, operating systems will just offer you up a shortcut to your documents folder, but never ever tell you the actual path of where that is. So you end up with a file picker that dumps you at the root of your drive and you have no idea how to get to your files. Or in Linux where you will never find anything unless you know exactly what these 3 letter abbreviations in the root folder mean. We are still stuck with these ancient conventions that only made sense because of the limitations of the hardware at the time. Like in DOS where certain commands or devices had to appear in every folder so you could use them so you still can't name a file CON or PRN nearly 50 years later.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I work in records retention and this conversation is extremely my daily existence. In our case the folder structure was dictated to mimic the literal dead tree folder organization that existed before, and the files were named according to some grognard who decided a memo written by John Smith on April 2, 1956 should be named 19560402ME_Smith_SubjectofMemo.pdf. Now it's my job to come in after that and come up with some way to translate all that into a proper records management system in searchable human language and OCR and all that.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Imagined posted:

I work in records retention and this conversation is extremely my daily existence. In our case the folder structure was dictated to mimic the literal dead tree folder organization that existed before, and the files were named according to some grognard who decided a memo written by John Smith on April 2, 1956 should be named 19560402ME_Smith_SubjectofMemo.pdf. Now it's my job to come in after that and come up with some way to translate all that into a proper records management system in searchable human language and OCR and all that.

I'm not saying that's a particularly pleasant job, because most jobs often are unpleasant, but it could be so very much worse than that. If that naming convention is being consistently followed it ought to be pretty straightforward.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yay data governance

:negative:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I'm Gen X so have the advantage of having grown up parallel to the development and availability of computers, but I find it weird that people have a hard time with file and folder structures. Like, do they not organize other things? Is their silverware drawer a chaotic mishmash of knives and forks and spoons all rattling around together? Is their laundry just thrown into an undifferentiated pile in the closet? Have they never visited a library?

shootforit
Oct 11, 2006

I used to be a tech for a college Journalism department. A big part of my job was instructing students how to edit video with Premiere Pro.

Half of the editing tutorial document I created had nothing to do with actually editing. It was just explaining the file system of a Windows computer.

Actual scenario:

'LimitedEyes, Premiere is giving me an error, it says it can't find my video file.'

'Ok, where is the video file at? In your project folder with your other assets?'

'No it is on my thumb drive that I left at home.'

'Welp.'

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm Gen X so have the advantage of having grown up parallel to the development and availability of computers, but I find it weird that people have a hard time with file and folder structures. Like, do they not organize other things? Is their silverware drawer a chaotic mishmash of knives and forks and spoons all rattling around together? Is their laundry just thrown into an undifferentiated pile in the closet? Have they never visited a library?

When people never interact with files outside of the programs that utilize them.

Calibre is a prime example, it has its own folder structure for ebooks and does not support a user-friendly folder structure. The author states clearly that he believes encoding metadata in the folder structure is wrong and all metadata should be contained in a searchable database. And he's kinda not wrong - once you use Calibre to actually manage your ebook collection, you don't go elsewhere to deeply interact with it. Even if you're like me and insist on a hand-created file system.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

shootforit posted:

I used to be a tech for a college Journalism department. A big part of my job was instructing students how to edit video with Premiere Pro.

Half of the editing tutorial document I created had nothing to do with actually editing. It was just explaining the file system of a Windows computer.

Actual scenario:

'LimitedEyes, Premiere is giving me an error, it says it can't find my video file.'

'Ok, where is the video file at? In your project folder with your other assets?'

'No it is on my thumb drive that I left at home.'

'Welp.'

We've had such an issue with this for the online classes we teach that we're making a two day class that is just the basics of Windows. File Structure stuff, File Explorer isn't Internet Explorer, and so on.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Back when Windows Movie Maker was alive, we'd get some Sophomores every year turning in their 'amazing' 7 minute Cooking with Chemistry video that clocked in at like 10kb.

Ever year, explaining that Save just saved their editing project and that Export was assembling the video and saving it as a completed work was mindblowing.

Anyway, Zoomer tech illiteracy isn't surprising. Gen X/Millennials grew up when computers were the main interface tool and were expensive enough that you had to be trained to use them. So you got computer lab stuff drilled into you at a young age, or were fortunate enough to be able to tool around one and learn to actually take advantage of it, or iterate on your learned skills.

Stuff is much more available now and easier to run/access.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Do schools still do computer lab classes? I lived in California, so our school had a bunch of computers because of Apple, so I don't know if it was even a thing everyone did back then.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
In L.A., PowerPoint skills are apparently in the 3rd grade curriculum. So if they do, it's vastly different.

There's also relatively less interface-wise with like Apple computers.

Everyone's essentially guaranteed a chromebook in LA school district so there's that as well.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Cojawfee posted:

Do schools still do computer lab classes? I lived in California, so our school had a bunch of computers because of Apple, so I don't know if it was even a thing everyone did back then.

when I went to Detroit area public schools they had a computer lab, but it was mainly "how to use MS Word" and "how to Google" in High School

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Cojawfee posted:

It doesn't help that nowadays, operating systems will just offer you up a shortcut to your documents folder, but never ever tell you the actual path of where that is. So you end up with a file picker that dumps you at the root of your drive and you have no idea how to get to your files. Or in Linux where you will never find anything unless you know exactly what these 3 letter abbreviations in the root folder mean. We are still stuck with these ancient conventions that only made sense because of the limitations of the hardware at the time. Like in DOS where certain commands or devices had to appear in every folder so you could use them so you still can't name a file CON or PRN nearly 50 years later.

Catching up to make this exact post. For the life of me I cannot figure out the logic Windows uses to locate its Documents folder (and all the other floating-in-space ones like Downloads) which is where things go when apps save them. And then if I have to find out what their actual path is, like if I want to use it in a program or something, it's some kind of diabolical maze or a dragon-guarded secret.

Just tell me the path for gently caress'S sake

e: and then I find myself trying to explain this to someone over the phone, "No, not the Documents folder in your Home, the Documents folder that you get if you open a new Explorer window and use the shortcut links on the left or whatever. No not those ones, oh you've got a different view, aaugh why can't I get covid from a dirty telephone and die"

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

There is a generation of kids coming who may have never touched anything except an iPad or something similar

Even basic stuff like drag n drop and right click will be foreign to them

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I would assume the issue is not that file systems are difficult to understand, it's that for younger users it was largely a background thing that you wouldn't have any reason to even know existed.

Like okay if you want to look at your pictures they're all available through the camera or photo viewer, you don't need to navigate to where they are stored or even know that they are stored independently from the app.

It's the same thing grogs were mad about when windows became a thing. They thought that a gui would let any old idiot use computer and then they would gently caress it up by not actually understanding anything about it.

I had an uncle who sat me down with an old dos manual and a 386 ibm compatible and made me learn chapter by chapter how to navigate and use dos, and i thought those anti windows nerds were engaging in pointless gatekeeping but it turns out they were right

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

'hide extensions for known file types'

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Tunicate posted:

'hide extensions for known file types'

It's hard to estimate the number of years it's been that toggling that off has been part of my Windows install process.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
I mean, I think this is pretty normal. When technologies are new and rough (and simpler) you need to understand them more to operate them and they're easier to understand at a low level. It's the same with general electronics knowledge, or cars, or other 'enthusiast' technologies.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

rndmnmbr posted:

When people never interact with files outside of the programs that utilize them.

Calibre is a prime example, it has its own folder structure for ebooks and does not support a user-friendly folder structure. The author states clearly that he believes encoding metadata in the folder structure is wrong and all metadata should be contained in a searchable database. And he's kinda not wrong - once you use Calibre to actually manage your ebook collection, you don't go elsewhere to deeply interact with it. Even if you're like me and insist on a hand-created file system.

This assumes that only a single program interacts with a single file type. In MacOS this is common. You access your photos with Photos.app and music with Music.app. And if you want to access the media from other programs MacOS offers an API for it. It obfuscates what files the user actually has and what they should backup.

Add Cloud to the mess and pretty soon people will just assume that all files are some abstract entities in some mysterious cloud.

And most people don't even have their own music libraries anymore, but even Spotify has a tiny selection. There are lots of things in my music library that is not available in streaming.

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

I HATE the trend for organising everything by file type into separate folders or libraries. I don't want my holiday photos kept in My Photos and my holiday videos kept in a separate media library. I want them kept together - you know, like a human being would do.

Sweevo has a new favorite as of 11:22 on Jul 9, 2022

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

FilthyImp posted:

In L.A., PowerPoint skills are apparently in the 3rd grade curriculum.

When I went to college in 1996 you couldn't assume everyone was already computer literate, and most courses had an optional class where they would teach you to use basic software like Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc.

There was a certain type of student who would refuse to take the class and then try to muddle through using the wrong software. The number of times I saw people in the computer lab writing essays in Powerpoint...

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There is a generation of kids coming who may have never touched anything except an iPad or something similar

Even basic stuff like drag n drop and right click will be foreign to them

I already run into people at work that are always online yet have no concept of what a file is or how to type on a physical keyboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I just installed kodi on a fire stick to play files from my nas. I have a downloads folder within my video folder where new stuff ends up before being organized. The files in that folder do not get indexed. They are invisible to kodi for god knows what actual reason. This is not fixable from inside kodi. I'm sure there's an internal logic to explicitly exclude that folder based on something, but this is unknowable. And if it's documented somewhere, it is a translation error specific to kodi instead of a thing that broadly applies to most computer systems in the last fifty years.

I'm not against novel ways to organize our look at data, but the reality is that it's a translation layer on top of actual files and folders and now I have to understand how both systems work if anything goes wrong.