Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Where is that rulebook? The only one I can find is the updated one for the 03 rulebook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Im looking through the Necromunda Book of the Outlands and did they seriously not include some of the rules for vehicles in campaign play? Or can i just not find it? It says custom vehicles repairs cost double and i was looking for how much repairs cost in the first place and i cant find it.

Thats some fuckin nerve to not put that in.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Love to see that Necromunda is still a loving mess a few years without engaging it.

And by "love" I mean "I hate"

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
It is a mess, but it's a fun and glorious mess.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Okay i found where it is, its with that free errata that came with the free Trading post update that went over the end of game stuff.
So im mad but not as mad. I thought they put it only in the Ash Waste box game.

It SHOULD be in the book of the outland as well.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

EdsTeioh posted:

Where is that rulebook? The only one I can find is the updated one for the 03 rulebook.

The Yaktribe Community Edition? Yeah, it's the original ruleset. There was a compilation of the new stuff, but I think it was a combination of being too unwieldy and legally problematic that the developer just gave up. Someone took over, but made it into "Our House Rules!" edition, so it's kind of worthless at this point (unless it has been taken over recently?)

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

berzerkmonkey posted:

The Yaktribe Community Edition? Yeah, it's the original ruleset. There was a compilation of the new stuff, but I think it was a combination of being too unwieldy and legally problematic that the developer just gave up. Someone took over, but made it into "Our House Rules!" edition, so it's kind of worthless at this point (unless it has been taken over recently?)

Oh well poo poo that doesn't help hahahahaha. I guess Dark Uprising+Gangs of the Underhive or faction books it is.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
A small skirmish game of a dozen minis per side, but all the ease of entry advantages blown to smithereens as you’ll need to buy books to a value of a 40K army to get the whole experience. That’s unfortunately modern Necromunda in a nutshell.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

I really don't understand why they just don't sell some sort of ebook that is updated when the rules update. Like for all of their poo poo. Or you, the loving apps that they already have in place that are in theory structured to do exactly that.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

EdsTeioh posted:

I really don't understand why they just don't sell some sort of ebook that is updated when the rules update. Like for all of their poo poo. Or you, the loving apps that they already have in place that are in theory structured to do exactly that.

this is probably my number 1 complaint about GW

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

EdsTeioh posted:

Because there's no financial incentive for them to do so.

EdsTeioh posted:

Oh well poo poo that doesn't help hahahahaha. I guess Dark Uprising+Gangs of the Underhive or faction books it is.
Sorry yeah - I mistakenly assumed you were aware of the edition difference. Personally, I prefer the old "scrappy gangs" to the new "well outfitted house armies," but that's just me. The gameplay is very similar, it's just that the gang builds are more complex now, and the gangers have access to way better equipment in the new version.

I love NM, and want to love the new version, but GW is pretty much making it impossible for me to do so. I don't know if it's willful obstinacy to get as much money as they can from the nostalgic players or just a lack of a plan/project management, but the game is very much in a poor state of cohesion, especially when you compare it to AoS, AT, KT, Warcry, and WHU (though the card thing pretty much killed what was otherwise a solid game.) GW is killing it on a lot of fronts, but NM and 40K to a greater extent really seems to be lagging.

Again, just my opinions on the matter, and I don't want to yuck anyone's yum.

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

berzerkmonkey posted:

Because there's no financial incentive for them to do so.

Sorry yeah - I mistakenly assumed you were aware of the edition difference. Personally, I prefer the old "scrappy gangs" to the new "well outfitted house armies," but that's just me. The gameplay is very similar, it's just that the gang builds are more complex now, and the gangers have access to way better equipment in the new version.

I love NM, and want to love the new version, but GW is pretty much making it impossible for me to do so. I don't know if it's willful obstinacy to get as much money as they can from the nostalgic players or just a lack of a plan/project management, but the game is very much in a poor state of cohesion, especially when you compare it to AoS, AT, KT, Warcry, and WHU (though the card thing pretty much killed what was otherwise a solid game.) GW is killing it on a lot of fronts, but NM and 40K to a greater extent really seems to be lagging.

Again, just my opinions on the matter, and I don't want to yuck anyone's yum.

I mean, a subscription model for an app is absolutely financial incentive. I don't think they make much off of the books from a profit margin point of view anyway.

Aren't there some rules differences in oldNM vs newNM? Namely alternating activations?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I’m thinking about putting together a Scout Kill Team. Are Scouts able to take plasma guns/ meltas and if so, is that a good idea?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

No they cannot. Shotguns, bolters, bolt pistols on regular dudes, heavy bolters or missile launchers on heavy gunners, sniper rifles on, well, snipers.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Gotcha- Reddit seems split on bolsters v shotguns, what are the advantages/ disadvantages of shotguns?

EdsTeioh
Oct 23, 2004

PRAY FOR DEATH

Professor Shark posted:

Gotcha- Reddit seems split on bolsters v shotguns, what are the advantages/ disadvantages of shotguns?

Shotgun - Attack 4, BS2+, D 4/4 Range red octagon
Boltgun - Attack 4, BS3+, D 3/4

Basically the shotgun shreds face in close range, but scouts are DF 3, SV 4+, W8 so they'll likely get to use them once whereas with a bolter, they can sit back and plink stuff.

Man, also, Scout Sniper Rifles loving suck compared to Kreig ones.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

EdsTeioh posted:

I mean, a subscription model for an app is absolutely financial incentive. I don't think they make much off of the books from a profit margin point of view anyway.

Aren't there some rules differences in oldNM vs newNM? Namely alternating activations?

Not knowing their financials, I can't make an informed statement, but I don't see how they *can't* make money on a $50-$60 book, especially given the quantity required to play their games. Considering they've pretty much dropped the digital format for their rulebooks, I would imagine that forcing people to purchase hard copies is a pretty significant cash influx, especially given the edition rotation of their games.

However, you asked why they didn't have an updating ebook - again, they don't have a financial incentive. Why waste resources on that when you can bake the obsolescence directly into your product and require your customers to have to purchase a new book every three years or so? I mean it would be great for GW to fully embrace the digital age, but it's probably just not cost effective (i.e. profit effective) for them to do so, and, so far, people have been willing to continue to buy into their system. Personally, I'm pretty much done buying paper books that are useless in a few years - I was buying a lot for AoS and have stopped since they dropped digital books for the game. I still pick up the Warcry stuff, but its a lot easier to call it quits at some point and still be able to play a game with friends. I picked up Ash Wastes thinking that the book was going to be the standard going forward, but now that I know it's not, I'm pretty soured on NM in general, because that set was not worth the money. IMO.

As for rules differences, yeah, there are some. Alternating and group activations are new, but the core structure of the game is pretty similar. I'm sure someone out there has done a good breakdown.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jul 7, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I mean, They could charge the same amount of money for the ebooks and it'd somehow still be an improvement over now.

Like, show me a clear web page on the GW site that lays out the books I need for Necromunda and I WILL start making those purchases, a little at a time. Currently I'm driven to PDFs because I barely understand what the needed books are and they're hard to buy.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Whoever made the decision to keep the rulebook churn going is my mortal enemy.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
One of the local dudes made a single page pdf cheat sheet for each of his kill teams with all the rules as lmao there's so many books to carry around. But there's been more KT popping up at the LGS and people are there each Wednesday, and I'm stoked for it. Finally got to play my Legionnaires

Edit: they're full nurgle Florida Men who just don't die. Their goal is to keep snowbirds off their lawn by playing defensively. Like that butcher charged through a mine and shrugged it off only taking two damage then stomped a marines face in. The sorc is nothing to sneeze at too. Not super optimal but I'm happy with these and had fun

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Jul 7, 2022

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I feel like the financial incentive against the rulebook churn, especially with games like Necromunda, is just getting more players.

We're trying to get a Necromunda league started locally and there's been more than a few people that realize they need almost $200 in books to play with your models that cost $50.

But I suppose the profit margin on books is so large that they're fine with only getting 1/3 of interested players to actually buy in.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Spanish Manlove posted:

One of the local dudes made a single page pdf cheat sheet for each of his kill teams with all the rules as lmao there's so many books to carry around. But there's been more KT popping up at the LGS and people are there each Wednesday, and I'm stoked for it. Finally got to play my Legionnaires

Edit: they're full nurgle Florida Men who just don't die. Their goal is to keep snowbirds off their lawn by playing defensively. Like that butcher charged through a mine and shrugged it off only taking two damage then stomped a marines face in. The sorc is nothing to sneeze at too. Not super optimal but I'm happy with these and had fun

I'm absolutely going to be making cheatsheets for my kill teams, gently caress trying yo remember that poo poo

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

Floppychop posted:

I feel like the financial incentive against the rulebook churn, especially with games like Necromunda, is just getting more players.

We're trying to get a Necromunda league started locally and there's been more than a few people that realize they need almost $200 in books to play with your models that cost $50.

But I suppose the profit margin on books is so large that they're fine with only getting 1/3 of interested players to actually buy in.

We just started a campaign and we did a "how to play" game to go over the rules, and the six of us share two rule books during games if we have to look things up, and it's worked so far to keep new players from balking at the cost.

Speaking of Necromunda campaigns: does anyone know of any sources of good 3-4 player scenarios? I know there's a couple in the rulebook, and one or two in each house book that can be played that way, but I was hoping for a big treasure trove of homebrew ones I failed to find.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I honestly assumed everyone who plays Necromunda just downloads PDFs, because it's insane to do otherwise

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
what makes Amazons so good in Blood Bowl they have a 97% win rate on FUMBBL?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

what makes Amazons so good in Blood Bowl they have a 97% win rate on FUMBBL?

97% win rate seems wrong, but Amazons are strong because of easy access to Blodging

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.
Amazons dominate in low team value leagues because every one of their players have dodge, which makes them really hard to put down. Dwarves are their natural enemy, but with careful play Zons can use their speed to advantage and pull out some wins against them. In the MMO environment they start to become unviable after TV 1500 because so many teams will be loaded with tackle and mighty blow.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I hear the badcast guys poo poo on dwarf teams; is it because they're not built to "play the game" and just excel at hurting opponent players?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

They're kind of a pubstomp team. They'll roll over new players but are just another game against experienced players.

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I hear the badcast guys poo poo on dwarf teams; is it because they're not built to "play the game" and just excel at hurting opponent players?

It’s mostly because Blood Bowl is a game about managing risk and occasionally doing out-of-the-box plays, and Dwarfs are basically completely risk-averse, grindy, and punishing to play against.

Their team naturally has Block on everything other than Runners and the Deathroller, they’re all high AV models, their linemen have Tackle to negate Dodge (and have Strength access as Primary, so usually get either Guard or Mighty Blow as their first skill) so they’re just a really unfun team to play against in most cases, because much of their gameplan is just really slowly grinding around the pitch keeping the opponent from doing anything and taking almost no risks.

There’s a few more counter-Dwarf strategies now - Defensive has proven to be weirdly useful for countering the typical Guard spam (in my limited experience) and exploiting their terrible movement via screens to prevent breakaways is an evergreen tactic - but it really amounts to knowing exactly how every match against a Dwarf coach will go and disliking it immensely.

The new passing rules have made bombs absolutely hilarious against Dwarfs, though - if you have a Bomber and position them well, Slayers and even the mighty Deathroller can easily be knocked over because if they catch the bomb, they auto-fumble it and get blown up.

E. Nesbit
Mar 18, 2009

Eat two dicks and call me in the morning.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I have always thought that the hate against dwarf teams is unjustified. You could say the same about chaos or nurgle teams. Dwarves are definitely tied to the 2-1 grind, which can make for some "boring" games, but you can as easily say that a 4-0 wood elf or skaven win is just as boring. Dwarf teams can definitely build for winning via scores over winning via attrition, consider the strength of giving all of your dwarf linemen the fend skill over mighty blow. Blood Bowl is a cake of positional play with backgammon as the icing, the less dice you need to roll make it more like chess and less like backgammon.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
all of the beatemup teams are ideal to begin a freshly collected goblin team's first career against, but dwarves are top of the pack for this... experience

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Spanish Manlove posted:

You're not Central FL right? Can't remember

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

E. Nesbit posted:

I have always thought that the hate against dwarf teams is unjustified. You could say the same about chaos or nurgle teams.
And I will! :v:

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

We have a BB league starting next weekend locally.

I'm running Goblins and looking forward to never winning a game but sending my special weapons at their favorite players like poorly guided missiles.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Hedningen posted:

It’s mostly because Blood Bowl is a game about managing risk and occasionally doing out-of-the-box plays, and Dwarfs are basically completely risk-averse, grindy, and punishing to play against.

Their team naturally has Block on everything other than Runners and the Deathroller, they’re all high AV models, their linemen have Tackle to negate Dodge (and have Strength access as Primary, so usually get either Guard or Mighty Blow as their first skill) so they’re just a really unfun team to play against in most cases, because much of their gameplan is just really slowly grinding around the pitch keeping the opponent from doing anything and taking almost no risks.

There’s a few more counter-Dwarf strategies now - Defensive has proven to be weirdly useful for countering the typical Guard spam (in my limited experience) and exploiting their terrible movement via screens to prevent breakaways is an evergreen tactic - but it really amounts to knowing exactly how every match against a Dwarf coach will go and disliking it immensely.

The new passing rules have made bombs absolutely hilarious against Dwarfs, though - if you have a Bomber and position them well, Slayers and even the mighty Deathroller can easily be knocked over because if they catch the bomb, they auto-fumble it and get blown up.

The only thing I would add to this is that, as is almost always the case in any fantasy game which is about tactical movement and positioning, the dwarven archetype of slow and steady makes for exceedingly dull play. Especially when it is balanced with high-level combat ability.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Bottom Liner posted:

You're not Central FL right? Can't remember

Tampa, I can PM you an invite to a FL KT discord if you'd like

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

Floppychop posted:

We have a BB league starting next weekend locally.

I'm running Goblins and looking forward to never winning a game but sending my special weapons at their favorite players like poorly guided missiles.

Good luck to you.

Remember: everyone else is playing Blood Bowl, you’re playing a remarkably unbalanced Age of Sigmar variant.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

The new Amazon models look pretty sick.

https://twitch.tv/warhammer

Edit: "Voidsmen-at-arms" :allears:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Wanna see more of those hard bitten space kroot.