Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
So does safa, I bomb descents with one of his long sleeves flapping in the wind at 45mph

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
why don't these lads simply deploy their drag chutes

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Slavvy posted:

A confluence of multiple risk factors, makes sense. Like a really lame middle aged air accident.

Relatedly: what's the limit on how fast you can enter a corner, in the dry, on a road bike? Like do you eventually fold the front trying to add too much lean angle in too short a time, or does instability ruin your day and push you wide before that happens? I'm coming from motorbikes and funny the rigid frame + skinny tyres are very hard to judge the limit on. I don't have this problem on my hard tail MTB when I'm riding that on the road because the fork dive and slow steering tyres feel much more familiar.

It's always more than you think it is.

Until it isn't.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Slavvy posted:

A confluence of multiple risk factors, makes sense. Like a really lame middle aged air accident.

Relatedly: what's the limit on how fast you can enter a corner, in the dry, on a road bike? Like do you eventually fold the front trying to add too much lean angle in too short a time, or does instability ruin your day and push you wide before that happens? I'm coming from motorbikes and funny the rigid frame + skinny tyres are very hard to judge the limit on. I don't have this problem on my hard tail MTB when I'm riding that on the road because the fork dive and slow steering tyres feel much more familiar.

A good condition road bike will never be the limiting factor in that, the rider and road conditions will be the limiting factors in how fast you can take a turn. If you're still learning, the quick tips are to stay low in the drops, put more weight on the outside foot, and lean the bike more.

Edit; In the world of spherical cows, there's probably a limit. In the world of max realistic bike speed being around 60mph, turning speed is limited by the road.

PolishPandaBear posted:

Essentially made for pros who bomb down descents in races, not 50 year old dentists riding the brakes all the way down.

It's free speed! Stop braking!

jetz0r fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jul 7, 2022

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe
I just signed up for a Trailnet Classics ride, which probably means nothing to anyone not in my general area. It's the I Scream For Iced Cream ride. At least that's what I'm calling it, and in Dragoon's and Red Mantle's voices to boot.

This is the first time I've paid to do anything like this. Hell, it's the first time I've done anything like this. My route is 35 miles, which is very much in my wheelhouse, distance-wise. One stretch has some annoying road overpasses I'll have to manage, but I'm pretty sure the super-wide shoulder is also an official bike lane. If I can make it up the Great River Road on the shoulder as cars and motorized bicycles whiz by at 60 MPH, this road shouldn't be too bad.

It's going to take place Sunday. So I have to stay healthy for a few more days, and no hangover juice the day before.

YanniRotten posted:

why don't these lads simply deploy their drag chutes

I want a button on my next bike that raises the Flags of All Nations.

tarlibone fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jul 7, 2022

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

It's when they're the quietest.

They’re completely quiet! They just don’t do a god drat thing.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
My bottom bracket started creaking tons today and it drove me a bit insane. What maintenance can I/should I do on a pressfit BB after 5 ish years?

I'm 99% sure it's the BB: I cleaned up and greased the rear skewer/dropout (didn't help), pedals are recently installed and greased, and it occurs when I'm standing or sitting down so not saddle/seatpost

Development
Jun 2, 2016

Heliosicle posted:

My bottom bracket started creaking tons today and it drove me a bit insane. What maintenance can I/should I do on a pressfit BB after 5 ish years?

I'm 99% sure it's the BB: I cleaned up and greased the rear skewer/dropout (didn't help), pedals are recently installed and greased, and it occurs when I'm standing or sitting down so not saddle/seatpost

did you check your chainring bolts?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Heliosicle posted:

Buy a Wheels Mfg thread together pressfit BB

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Development posted:

did you check your chainring bolts?

Would that lead to creaking from both sides? It was worse on the driveside though tbf. Will check when I'm home and have the right Torx key tomorrow.

I say it started today but it's been building for a month or two at this point, but never this bad so it's definitely time to do something about it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Will look into it. If it brings back blissfully quiet pedalling I will be very happy

dema
Aug 13, 2006

Heliosicle posted:

it occurs when I'm standing or sitting down so not saddle/seatpost

Could still be the seatpost collar. I've had mine creak while standing.

I've also had the RD creak where it screws into the dropout. Got some dirt in there.

dema fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 8, 2022

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Heliosicle posted:

Would that lead to creaking from both sides? It was worse on the driveside though tbf. Will check when I'm home and have the right Torx key tomorrow.

I say it started today but it's been building for a month or two at this point, but never this bad so it's definitely time to do something about it.

Will look into it. If it brings back blissfully quiet pedalling I will be very happy

I had a loose chainring a while back that would creak when I put pressure down on both sides and built slowly over the course a a few weeks.

I took the chainring off to inspect my BB (because that's what I assumed was causing the problem) and by chance I noticed that one of the bolts was so loose that I can turn it with my fingers.

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Weembles posted:

I had a loose chainring a while back that would creak when I put pressure down on both sides and built slowly over the course a a few weeks.

I took the chainring off to inspect my BB (because that's what I assumed was causing the problem) and by chance I noticed that one of the bolts was so loose that I can turn it with my fingers.

It's definitely not that bad at least but I'll just tighten up the bolts if they need it.

dema posted:

Could still be the seatpost collar. I've had mine creak while standing.

I've also had the RD creak where it screws into the dropout. Got some dirt in there.

Will check these too, although can't believe the seat post wedge would cause this much noise, it really sounded like gravel inside the bike.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

This

Though in my case it was a hope one cos :britain:

Best purchase ever

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
What’s the thread consensus on stans or orange? For both a road bike and a mountain bike if that matters.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

yoohoo posted:

What’s the thread consensus on stans or orange? For both a road bike and a mountain bike if that matters.

I don't know anything, but have lurked the thread long enough to know they love orange

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Orange

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I have not personally used Stan's but am a satisfied user of thread-favorite Orange Seal

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
My flywheel was new, within the last 6 months I'm sure and apparently it's already shot and the new chain apparently won't properly fit it without replacement. :(

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
Just live with creak. Bikes should be crotchety old watt sucking bastards.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

PoorPeteBest posted:

Just live with creak. Bikes should be crotchety old watt sucking bastards.

Wait, was that the source of that sound? :aaa:

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Raenir Salazar posted:

My flywheel was new, within the last 6 months I'm sure and apparently it's already shot and the new chain apparently won't properly fit it without replacement. :(

What? My bike maintenance knowledge is mostly watching park tools videos but that doesn’t really line up. How far did you bike in 6 months?

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

in a well actually posted:

What? My bike maintenance knowledge is mostly watching park tools videos but that doesn’t really line up. How far did you bike in 6 months?

About 1,000 km? I bike on average around 14km three times a week for work/school. Culprit I think this time maybe was my bike chain and infrequent lubings.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

yoohoo posted:

lol imagine using stan’s in tyool 2022

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Orange 4 lyfe

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:
My LBS used Stan's when they set me up tubeless and I kept getting flats from tiny trail punctures. Incredibly frustrating, seemed to me like it wouldn't seal poo poo. Problem didn't go away until I switched to orange seal. I'd never use Stan's again personally.

yoohoo
Nov 15, 2004
A little disrespect and rudeness can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day
Orange it is.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Raenir Salazar posted:

About 1,000 km? I bike on average around 14km three times a week for work/school. Culprit I think this time maybe was my bike chain and infrequent lubings.

Did you buy the bike used? If so the PO may have passed down a worn out chain which would eat all the other components around it. Don't think 1000km without lube would kill other components all by itself but it doesn't help, no.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Raenir Salazar posted:

Flywheel like on a stationary bike?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

spf3million posted:

Flywheel like on a stationary bike?

The rear gear thingy. Is it freewheel?

Vando posted:

Did you buy the bike used? If so the PO may have passed down a worn out chain which would eat all the other components around it. Don't think 1000km without lube would kill other components all by itself but it doesn't help, no.

No bike is around like 8 years old currently. Chains been replaced a few times.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
I’m trying to offload some bikes that I haven’t been riding as much and am having a hard time judging the market. How much would a used 2019 Disc Trucker go for with maybe a few hundred miles on it? $1200? Is that too high?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Raenir Salazar posted:

Cassette/sprocket, unless you mean the bearings inside the wheel (which have nothing to do with the chain)

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

So I need a bike for my commute and weekend riding. I have a folder that I use for a multimodal subway commute, but they’re shutting down the train I use for a month because :wrongcity:. My wife also wants to do more bike fun stuff with the kids and got a bike trailer. The folder isn’t really compatible with the trailer and I’d like more than 2 gears if I’m hauling >= 75 lbs.

I’m about 5’11 with a 33” inseam and relatively long legs. So I’m between a M and L frame (56/58 cm I think?)

I want to be able to bike to work over crappy Boston roads (~7.5 miles each way) and also got out riding on good bike trails. Budget is flexible. I’ll pay for reliable parts, but I don’t need crazy performance.

What should I be looking at?

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Giant escape, trex FX, or a similar hybrid bike by a decent company sounds like it ticks your boxes.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Raenir Salazar posted:

Raenir Salazar posted:

No bike is around like 8 years old currently. Chains been replaced a few times.
Way too early for a rear cassette to wear out. Got any photos?

Jonny Quest
Nov 11, 2004

frogbs posted:

I’m trying to offload some bikes that I haven’t been riding as much and am having a hard time judging the market. How much would a used 2019 Disc Trucker go for with maybe a few hundred miles on it? $1200? Is that too high?

Higher than you think, I’ve been flipping a few bikes on my quest for a decent mountain bike and the prices have been ridiculous.

That recent of a Disc Trucker I would list for 1500 and then take something north of 1200.

NextDoor, Facebook Marketplace, and Craigslist have been my preferred haunts, in about that order.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Might be a faux pas but is there any suggestions for a cheap new bike around $200? I'm 5'8" so I probably need a 26" and I don't have a lot of cash, but I need it to drive five minutes to the gym, and maybe go to get a bag of groceries.

I don't want electric but I should have multiple gears because there are some slight elevation, maybe 50 feet says Google?

It doesn't need a lot of features otherwise and I can do the repairs myself

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

spf3million posted:

Way too early for a rear cassette to wear out. Got any photos?

Not currently, my LBS called me to let me know that they could change the chain, but it wouldn't be good and will slip all the time because the teeth are completely worn down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Might be a faux pas but is there any suggestions for a cheap new bike around $200?

New you have no shot but if you trawl your local used listings and post here we can give feedback on what catches your eye.