Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Oh god, I look away for a second hour and suddenly Ding!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Good for Ding :china:
Radjabov's had a strong tournament, he must be pretty happy about his performance after being written off by most.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Redmark posted:

Good for Ding :china:
Radjabov's had a strong tournament, he must be pretty happy about his performance after being written off by most.

He quietly put up a +3 across the back half of the tournament.

Looking over the standings, it strikes me that the bottom three (Duda, Rapport and Firouzja in some order) are the three first timers.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

rapport is the champion of our hearts

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Hand Knit posted:

He quietly put up a +3 across the back half of the tournament.

Looking over the standings, it strikes me that the bottom three (Duda, Rapport and Firouzja in some order) are the three first timers.

Both Ding and Radjabov scored +3 in the back half. Ding likes to finish strong, he rattled off three wins to salvage his 2020-21 Candidates from being a total rout.

Apart from Nepo pulling so decisively away from the field, this felt like a much more enjoyable tournament to casually spectate than the last one, where Alexeenko had zero business being there and Wang just brutally collapsed.

Feels like Nakamura could have finished +4 instead of +1 but he got some breaks too.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

ding to challenge for, and win, the world championship? bring it home

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

fart simpson posted:

sorry but i just have a low opinion of mods. nothing personal

I know I'm late but, ahem,

turn on ur monitor

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

jesus WEP posted:

rapport is the champion of our hearts

everyone says they want something to pry the game out of the cold iron hands of computer prep, but then no one shows up for the mass letter campaign to make rapport chess king for his willingness to just play poo poo

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Oh hey, a chess thread, neat!

Any chance I could get a code?

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

kalensc posted:

Oh hey, a chess thread, neat!

Any chance I could get a code?

Try https://discord.gg/Q3yaz8Ep

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Hooray for sacrificing a piece into a winning attack, not being a hundred percent sure it was winning but it looked so promising that I was fairly confident I could at minimum win back the material or more, with a good chance of coming away with mate or way ahead in material.

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
How do you decide whether an engine-unsound aggressive move was actually good?
For example, in the Smith-Morra there's often a piece sacrifice with Nd5. Of course sometimes it's good and sometimes it's not good. In my last game I played it with success, and the engine classified it as an inaccuracy that moved the evaluation by 0.5. But that could mean "move bad against slightly better player" or "move bad against engine".
I guess a heuristic would be, if the opponent has to find non-obvious only moves many moves in a row then it's likely good. But there's no easy way to quantify this without doing a deep manual analysis.

T.C.
Feb 10, 2004

Believe.
Does anyone have opinions on smart boards? I'd kind of like to be able to play ten minute online games on a board but is the experience any good? They're a lot of money to just spend it and realize it's too clunky to enjoy.

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

T.C. posted:

Does anyone have opinions on smart boards? I'd kind of like to be able to play ten minute online games on a board but is the experience any good? They're a lot of money to just spend it and realize it's too clunky to enjoy.

There are pretty consistently relay errors with the highest-level games and tournaments. That was enough to nix the idea for me.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

Sorry I didn't see this until now, my bad

I would appreciate another invite :ohdear:

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Magnus will not defend his title!! Wow, I did not expect that.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

lmao that hikaru was a rook trade away from being in the world championship

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized
My prediction is that Magnus enters the candidates in 2024 to try and win his title back.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

jesus WEP posted:

lmao that hikaru was a rook trade away from being in the world championship

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

my boy ding liren has this in the bag imo

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I am cheering for Ding, because he will have more cause to poo poo talk magnus for running away.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell
It would be cool if a Ding victory would cause a Chinese chess boom like with Anand and India. Personally I would bet on Nepo though.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

V for Vegas posted:

Magnus will not defend his title!! Wow, I did not expect that.

https://i.imgur.com/ohHDYTC.mp4

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I feel like I’ve seen that before, but what is it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

its a person. hes named ian nepomniachtchi

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Hikaru said this morning that he thinks Magnus would have played if he was in 2nd.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

Magnus vs Vishy got me into watching competitive chess (and thru some miserable times) so drat. I fully understand his decision though.

tanglewood1420 posted:

My prediction is that Magnus enters the candidates in 2024 to try and win his title back.

It would be funny if he destroys the candidates and just backs out of the championship though.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I wonder how much he just specifically does not want to play Nepomniachtchi. From some of the excerpts I've seen it almost feels like he was insulted by Nepomniachtchi's collapse in the second half of the match.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I'm really surprised, I would have bet real money that he would still defend the title. But I guess when you are just far and away the best and the competition isn't close, there's nothing to prove really.

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

tanglewood1420 posted:

I had the same thought. And I hope he fails so that we see that smug superiority deflated.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Obfuscation posted:

It would be cool if a Ding victory would cause a Chinese chess boom like with Anand and India. Personally I would bet on Nepo though.

Chess is already pretty big in China. There are 5 Chinese 2700 GMs. But yeah the PRC will make a huge deal out of it.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Sub Rosa posted:

Hikaru said this morning that he thinks Magnus would have played if he was in 2nd.

Hikaru says a lot of things that aren't true.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

this was pretty slick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooiaaLk8bx0

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Lid posted:

Hikaru says a lot of things that aren't true.

Hikaru may well believe it. He's totally wrong, of course, but he may not be lying when he says he thinks that. And if I'd hosed up the last game of the candidates and blew my chance to play for the world championship, I'd prefer to believe that even if I'd won it wouldn't have mattered. Hurts less that way. :shrug:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Hand Knit posted:

I wonder how much he just specifically does not want to play Nepomniachtchi. From some of the excerpts I've seen it almost feels like he was insulted by Nepomniachtchi's collapse in the second half of the match.

Do you know much about the details of the changes he asked fide for?

I assumed it wasn't exactly personal against nepo more like frustration at the sheer effort you still have to put in long past the point that it is clear who the better player is in the world championship matches.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

It seems to me that WC matches are an ungodly amount of prep followed by endurance.

Like last year it seemed like Nepo broke after the 140-move game that took 9 hours or whatever.

Which is certainly a valid competition format but understandable if Magnus feels that it's not really representative of what makes the world champion of Chess.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Naroditsky gave a 20 minute talk about the Magnus situation and his thoughts about it. Unfortunately he did it on the same twitch VOD that he later deleted because he had to perform a dance after losing a bet to the Botez sisters.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Salt Fish posted:

Naroditsky gave a 20 minute talk about the Magnus situation and his thoughts about it. Unfortunately he did it on the same twitch VOD that he later deleted because he had to perform a dance after losing a bet to the Botez sisters.

Chess in 2022.txt

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Salt Fish posted:

what's the summary of his take on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

I saw an over one hour video on magnus' channel about his retirement. But I hadn't had time to watch it yet.