Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

As Nero Danced posted:

There's a mockumentary about the idea already, so it wasn't even an original concept

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=exnwTWfFRM8

Yea see the difference is that Kevin Wilmott kinda has a leg up on the D&D guys when it comes to writing about race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Collapsing Farts posted:

Literally all the rulers in the show had "shades of grey" or were outright evil fuckers, so when Dany killed some random guy or did something ambiguous it didn't read as "she's losing her mind! She's a cruel rear end in a top hat!" because all the other characters in the show who had seats of power were always way worse.

So her turn from being a ruler who executed traitors and enemy soldiers with her dragons to a madman who burned an entire city down and didn't even feel bad about it was complete tonal whiplash

Exactly. They did a great job painting her as vengeful and paranoid. They just didn't do the work to make the jump to genocide.

Well, they had "every time a targayrean is born, the gods flip a coin" which i guess you can pretend is character development

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Xealot posted:

I've expressed this before, but the idea of a show about the Confederacy winning isn't inherently bad. But wow are they the wrong people to make it.

It'd be like if Eli Roth made Get Out.

I think the premise of this is interesting enough that someone is going to take a swing at it eventually, but I think it needs a lot of care to be pulled off in any way that isn't horrifying. My successful execution of the premise checklist would be:

-Have it be a U.K. production, because you need some serious degrees of separation from the original country for this to work.
-Don't try to make it set in the modern day, because I refuse to believe a Confederate victory and slavery would've been able to be maintained for more than 100 years at the absolute most. Ironically with the Man in the High Castle being a source of comparison, having the show be set during WWI or WW2 seems like it'd create a lot of story opportunities.
-All confederate government forces/believers in "the cause" would need to be portrayed as clear antagonists.
-The protagonists would be other governments and freedom fighters taking actions against the Confederacy. Hell, having a united nation of primarily Native Americans and African Americans taking over the west with support from Mexico/other governments sounds like it'd be fun, if the people making the show could pull that off at all effectively.

Overall I feel like the premise is incredibly tough to execute and the show would have to be Game of Thrones level successful to be at all worth the general uproar it actually being made would cause. With that being said, I feel like it's bound to happen someday. Hell, all it really would've taken for it to be happening right now is D&D absolutely sticking the landing and making the last few seasons of GoT universally praised and beloved. If they'd done that, HBO or someone else would've been all over their Confederacy show idea.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Making it a british production would guarantee I wouldn’t watch it lol

Imagine saying “foreigners would do it better” about any other culture

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
If you wanna see what it would be like if the south won the Civil War just watch the news for 20 minutes.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Making it a british production would guarantee I wouldn’t watch it lol

Imagine saying “foreigners would do it better” about any other culture

Seriously, I love the UK but it's not exactly a country without its' own set of racial tensions and problems that need to be addressed. At best you'd get some extremely boring preachy poo poo that nobody wants to watch (with a very strong hint of "former colonial power looking down their noses at and lecturing one of their former colonies"), and at worst you'd get something that completely misses the point due to not understanding American culture in general and African-American culture in particular (see: the Rosa Parks episode during Jodie Whittaker's run on Doctor Who).

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

If you wanna see what it would be like if the south won the Civil War just watch the news for 20 minutes.

Also this.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TOOT BOOT posted:

Her actions are always framed by the show as ambiguous at worst right up until the end. If we were intended to see any of prior actions as cruel the show didn't really frame them that way at any point, there's always an out.

I don't inherently dislike that. Obviously, they weren't skilled enough to pull that off but I think there's merit to an approach of "the show framed these actions as heroic and you accepted that without question. Didn't you ever stop to actually think about what was happening on the screen?"

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

christmas boots posted:

I don't inherently dislike that. Obviously, they weren't skilled enough to pull that off but I think there's merit to an approach of "the show framed these actions as heroic and you accepted that without question. Didn't you ever stop to actually think about what was happening on the screen?"

Except Arya also does similar poo poo and she's still good. They just got lazy and didn't want to bother having to write anything that would actually make sense so they just rushed it through and had Dany go crazy at the end. Same reason "Dany kind of forgot about the Iron Fleet", you just do the laziest possible hand wave so you can get to your Confederacy show that you really want to do

Piell fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 8, 2022

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

I think the show that did this pretty well was Rome, I feel like they didn't give Caesar a particularly heroic or villainous representation in terms of music, lighting, etc, he was just kinda doing his stuff and you could think he was a tyrant or a benevolent dictator who wanted to take power but also use it better than the old roman noblemen and poo poo

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!
Yeah, there was no cohesion on what constituted unspeakable acts. A lot of the things that the writers tried to cite as setups for her cruelty were accompanied by heroic music and camera angles.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

Stefan Prodan posted:

I think the show that did this pretty well was Rome, I feel like they didn't give Caesar a particularly heroic or villainous representation in terms of music, lighting, etc, he was just kinda doing his stuff and you could think he was a tyrant or a benevolent dictator who wanted to take power but also use it better than the old roman noblemen and poo poo

Amusingly, I remember there was a story kicking around back in the day that Rome was the show that convinced Martin HBO would be the best choice to adapt his magnum opus. Perhaps if we'd gotten the creative talent behind that show instead of the useless fratboy hacks we ended up with (yeah George, they knew who Jon's mother was - amazing litmus test you got there) things might have turned out a lot better. (Or it would've been cancelled after 2 seasons whatev).

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I’m pretty much fine with it.

I can definitely name things I would have done differently from D&D, we all can, but we are never getting the last books and so this is what we have instead, and I can live with it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Drunk in Space posted:

Amusingly, I remember there was a story kicking around back in the day that Rome was the show that convinced Martin HBO would be the best choice to adapt his magnum opus. Perhaps if we'd gotten the creative talent behind that show instead of the useless fratboy hacks we ended up with (yeah George, they knew who Jon's mother was - amazing litmus test you got there) things might have turned out a lot better. (Or it would've been cancelled after 2 seasons whatev).

Ironically, the Rome showrunners wanted to keep going but HBO refused

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
George Railroad Martin did a blog today. The big takeaways I got are that he pinky swears that he is writing Winds of Winter and that he's trying to distance the end of his story from the end of GoT.

quote:

What I have noticed more and more of late, however, is my gardening is taking me further and further away from the television series. Yes, some of the things you saw on HBO in GAME OF THRONES you will also see in THE WINDS OF WINTER (though maybe not in quite the same ways)… but much of the rest will be quite different.

And really, when you think about it, this was inevitable. The novels are much bigger and much much more complex than the series. Certain things that happened on HBO will not happen in the books. And vice versa. I have viewpoint characters in the books never seen on the show: Victarion Greyjoy, Arianne Martell, Areo Hotah, Jon Connington, Aeron Damphair They will all have chapters, and the things they do and say will impact the story and the major characters who were on the show. I have legions of secondary characters, not POVs but nonetheless important to the plot, who also figure in the story: Lady Stoneheart, Young Griff, the Tattered Prince, Penny, Brown Ben Plumm, the Shavepate, Marwyn the Mage, Darkstar, Jeyne Westerling. Some characters you saw in the show are quite different than the versions in the novels. Yarra Greyjoy is not Asha Greyjoy, and HBO’s Euron Greyjoy is way, way, way, way different from mine. Quaithe still has a part to play. So does Rickon Stark. And poor Jeyne Poole. And… well, the list is long. (And all this is part of why WINDS is taking so long. This is hard, guys).

Oh, and there will be new characters as well. No new viewpoints, I promise you that, but with all these journeys and battles and scheming to come, inevitably our major players will be encountering new people in lands far and near.

One thing I can say, in general enough terms that I will not be spoiling anything: not all of the characters who survived until the end of GAME OF THRONES will survive until the end of A SONG OF ICE & FIRE, and not all of the characters who died on GAME OF THRONES will die in A SONG OF ICE & FIRE. (Some will, sure. Of course. Maybe most. But definitely not all) ((Of course, I could change my mind again next week, with the next chapter I write. That’s gardening)).

And the ending? You will need to wait until I get there. Some things will be the same. A lot will not.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2022/07/08/a-winter-garden/

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Don't listen to the fat man's lies. The Winds of Winter will be finished 6 months after he croaks by Brandon Sanderson.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

At this point you could almost write a second book about just how the gently caress it took a decade+ to crank out one novel.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

TOOT BOOT posted:

At this point you could almost write a second book about just how the gently caress it took a decade+ to crank out one novel.

A typical day in his winds of winter writing process is probably 10 minutes staring at a word document, 20 minutes changing the word order on a sentence he already wrote, 5 hours playing a videogame and 2 hours asking the director of the videogame if he can write the next one

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Qwertycoatl posted:

A typical day in his winds of winter writing process is probably 10 minutes staring at a word document, 20 minutes changing the word order on a sentence he already wrote, 5 hours playing a videogame and 2 hours asking the director of the videogame if he can write the next one

Except for the last step that sounds like what I imagine some of my colleagues work from home experience is like

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Mantis42 posted:

Don't listen to the fat man's lies. The Winds of Winter will be finished 6 months after he croaks by Brandon Sanderson.

Even though Brandon said that would never happen, I kind of want that book. Just go from the luxurious prose and laborious pace of Dance into Brandon's grocery list style of prose. That, or seeing Brandon actually deal with an editor that doesn't just rubber stamp his first drafts.

Pennsylvanian fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jul 10, 2022

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
GRRM's ooc blog writing reminds me of late high school when half my friends were super into Tennant Who and Sherlock and being insufferably twee, except he's an old man and they were 16

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Mantis42 posted:

Just lol that the Expanse writers managed to start and finish their entire 9 novel + multiple novella series + 6 season television show in the time it takes the fat man to "write" a book.

Oh and the books are alright, fun sci-fi and the television show is the best sci-fi on TV in a very long time with great writing and acting and allround improving on the books. Just lmao.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
The only Winds of Winter we're possibly going to get is a Winds of Winter Part 1 rushed out the door by the publisher to get the sales boost from the new TV shows (it seems like he's at least done all the first chapters for all the viewpoint charcters so that probably adds up to 300ish pages, aka, regular novel length)

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jul 9, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I wonder if GRRM’s ever seen Funny Farm

JesusSinfulHands
Oct 24, 2007
Sartre and Russell are my heroes
Reading a story about Ukrainian civilians being trained by British soldiers and -

quote:

A higher ratio of instructors to recruits is helping to fast-track the training. So is the high level of motivation among the recruits, according to the instructors.

“It’s nonstop,” said Capt. Sam Russon, 28 years old. “They’re learning really quickly.”

The course includes learning how to dig fortifications, fill sandbags and maneuver under fire. (Included in the advice: don’t panic; run in a zigzag instead of a straight line.) Mine awareness is a field in which the Ukrainians have expressed particular interest, Capt. Russon said.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ukrainian-office-workers-and-tradesmen-receive-training-from-u-k-for-war-11657342801

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

PostNouveau posted:

George Railroad Martin did a blog today. The big takeaways I got are that he pinky swears that he is writing Winds of Winter and that he's trying to distance the end of his story from the end of GoT.

https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2022/07/08/a-winter-garden/

lmao, this reads like the last status update from a Kickstarter grift before they finally go awol with the stolen money

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Ironically, the Rome showrunners wanted to keep going but HBO refused

I was so mad when I heard Rome was being cancelled but they were going forward with a high-budget fantasy series. I looked wrong because the show was actually really good. And then like the Starks I ended up being right in the end.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pennsylvanian posted:

Even though Brandon said that would never happen, I kind of want that book. Just go from the luxurious prose and laborious pace of Dance into Brandon's grocery list style of prose. That, or seeing Brandon actually deal with an editor that doesn't just rubber stamp his first drafts.

He said he didn't want to write something so explicit and pessimistic bc he's a Mormon but I think he should be allowed to have total reigns to write the PG rated version with a happy ending. In fact he should write it now and the publishing company should just let GRRM know they have it in the tank.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

I was so mad when I heard Rome was being cancelled but they were going forward with a high-budget fantasy series. I looked wrong because the show was actually really good. And then like the Starks I ended up being right in the end.

The first season felt close to a best case scenario for "adaptation of a book series that's big for a fantasy series but still not really mainstream". There was something charming even about the janky stuff like the bad wigs, so many interior shots having windows that faced "outside" but just showed blinding white light, etc.

Seasons 2 through 4 had issues and in hindsight you can see the rot creeping in, but overall they were solid and had a bunch of absolutely fantastic moments. It spiraled to hell after that, but I'd still rather have it than not.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Groovelord Neato posted:

The endgame for Rome was for Lucius and Pullo to team up with Jesus, so I actually think that HBO did the right thing here.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

One part of the show that really stuck with me on a rewatch was how many actors would be on screen acting in the early seasons. One example in my mind was when Tyrion returns to King's Landing to hand Tywin's letter to Cersei. She barely finishes reading the letter before all of the actors start shifting around in their seats, anticipating the announcement of Tyrion as hand. A lot of the early small council scenes do this. It's the kind of stuff I notice and really like, not the "great cinematography" of the latter seasons where a two-person dialogue has the camera switching to the most artistic angle every few seconds as actors furrow their brows and out-smolder one another.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

The endgame for Rome was for Lucius and Pullo to team up with Jesus, so I actually think that HBO did the right thing here.

they were prob gonna make pullo the father of both caesarion and jesus

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Alhazred posted:

Would love to have 60 year old pullo and vorenus doing their oh poo poo side eye routine as they realise pullo's the dad of the messiah

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Alhazred posted:

These eternally-middle-aged assholes bumbling through the passion of the Christ and on to greater adventures in the imperial period while no one notices would have been great.

WOOPS! Turns out Barabbas was Pullo.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 11, 2022

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
It'd be The Life of Brian but the Romans are just as confused.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

That scene from Forrest Gump and the smiley face but it’s the veil of Veronica.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Pullo taking the boy Christ to a brothel to lose his virginity.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I know season 2 of Rome had some issues with time jumps due to cancellation but how were they going to have the same two characters present for events 76 years apart? :psyduck:

An insane mind
Aug 11, 2018

Maybe you guys just have horrible taste but now I'm extra glad rome ended when it did.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

An insane mind posted:

Maybe you guys just have horrible taste but now I'm extra glad rome ended when it did.

Even if they'd let them do the rise of Augustus properly instead of a time jump I doubt it would've lasted to Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Groovelord Neato posted:

Even if they'd let them do the rise of Augustus properly instead of a time jump I doubt it would've lasted to Jesus.

The adult Augustus casting was bizarre. Dude had Joffrey vibes.