Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Or when they brought Gwen back except it turned out not to be her, but for a bit they tried to make it seem like she had kids with Norman Osborn

That would have been almost an interesting way to combine two stories that never should have been.

Gwen Stacy gets knocked up by Norman Osborne with twins, except...
That wasn't really Gwen, it was an early clone from the Jackal, that escaped or ran off or whatever.

So the twins have accelerated aging because they are the messed up offspring of Norman Osborne (who has enough messed up genetics due to goblin serum related shennanigans) and because Jackal's clones already have accelerated aging.

It would still suck, mind you, but it would suck in a different way at least

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Spider-Man getting in way over his head with cosmic poo poo has been a pretty consistent part of the character since the 70's so I don't even blink at it anymore. At this point it's as least as core as, like, Harry Osborn.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Just got out of Love and Thunder and I really liked it. My only complaint was that it seemed to move too fast and not give very much time to stop and let the characters interact in a meaningful way. It does a few times, but it kind of feels rushed. But that aside, I liked everything else. All the leads give good performances. And the placement of November Rain in the movie is perfect.

Spoilers: Glad to see Herc is gonna join up with the MCU, but I'm a little worried they're gonna make him too serious if he's gonna try and act like a scary god. Hope there's a quick face turn to the jolly Herc everyone loves. I feel like Ares would've been a better choice if they wanted a scary god, but maybe he'll show up along with Herc. Also since we saw Jane and Heimdall in Valhalla, I think there's pretty good odds that they'll return since we've seen people come back from Valhalla before. If not, hey, at least when Thor dies we'll know Jane's there and they'll get to spend time together.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Thor was decent but I think I may be approaching Taika Waititi overload. Can’t believe I’m saying this, but I could have done with less Korg.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Any film that is heavy on G'N'R is fine by me

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Blockhouse posted:

Spider-Man getting in way over his head with cosmic poo poo has been a pretty consistent part of the character since the 70's so I don't even blink at it anymore. At this point it's as least as core as, like, Harry Osborn.

He encountered aliens in his second issue (although he didn't realize it) until they retconned that later.

CzarChasm posted:

That would have been almost an interesting way to combine two stories that never should have been.

[...]

It would still suck, mind you, but it would suck in a different way at least

The whole thing was built on lovely shock value so there was not going to be any successful turd polishing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Remember when Pete had Mustic Spider powers thanks to The Other.

Lol.

Knull can slot into Morbius by having the symbiotes be the predecessors to Vamps.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I liked Love and Thunder, it's definitely loose but the third act in particular was really good.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Thor powering up the kids was a lot of fun

and regarding the mid-credit scene, I know they've done the "hey look, it's a well known actor in a doofy costume" but seeing Roy loving Kent as Hercules got me.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I thought Love and Thunder was quality

I thought it was a nice touch that Chris Hemsworth’s actual daughter was Love

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Holy poo poo that was great. Gotta digest it. Superfun

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
As predicted I enjoyed Thor. Enjoying things is awesome.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Well I liked it. The mid credits was exactly what I'd hoped it would be, even if it wasn't Henry Cavill.

The new guardian costumes were dope but I hated Thor's new costume

Jealous Storm breaker was a terrific running gag. Same with the goats; you would think the screaming would get old but it was funny every time

Gorr was rad and creepy as hell, I love how this phase is leaning into cosmic stuff and horror stuff so much.

Kind of shocked how few surprises there were. Eternity was cool to see but even Herc was more or less expected

My kid decided the end credits scene and I missed What Heimdell said. I assume he was offering her a job as a Valkyrie?

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Jul 8, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

My county's just gone back to High Covid risk, I don't know when I'm gonna get up the nerve to see it. First movie of the pandemic I truly feel sad about.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Movie was fun as heck. Much more focused than Ragnarok, but is hurt by not having Hulk or Loki.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Jamesman posted:

I'm just kinda confused about why Spider-Man has all this deep lore and mythos surrounding him with people like Madame Web and Knull and poo poo when he's just supposed to be a nerd who got bit by a spider.

Madame Webb kind of got elevated because she's also in Nothing Can Stop The Juggernaut which is considered one of the best stories in one of the best post-Lee runs.

Anyway, I really liked Love And Thunder. One of my main gripes of Ragnarok is that the movie never really lingers on the more serious moments and almost always interrupts with a joke or quip. This movie definitely still does that, but I think lets moments linger a bit more.

Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

Opopanax posted:

The new guardian costumes were dope but I hated Thor's new costume

Ya know, I didn’t like Thor’s new costume when the initial pics came out, but came around when it turns out it’s from him trying to one-up Mighty Thor in the most fragile way possible. It’s a dumb costume because he’s being dumb.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

notthegoatseguy posted:

Madame Webb kind of got elevated because she's also in Nothing Can Stop The Juggernaut which is considered one of the best stories in one of the best post-Lee runs.

It is genuinely my favorite comic story. Stern and JR JR were a heck of a team.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I really enjoyed Thor: Love and Thunder. I do feel like it juggles a lot of seemingly disparate plots, themes, and tones, some of which can at times seem incompatible, and that necessitated the very fast pace. That said, I feel like it comes together by the end, though not in the way I would had expected. I would have never called the ending of Thor adopting Gorr's daughter after she was resurrected by MCU Eternity. Curious about the role she will play in future movies.

The mid credits sequence was very predictable, but still fun. Curious where and when that cameo will show up again. Only real disappointment was lack of trailers for other upcoming movies, but honestly it'd do the MCU good to focus less or hyping up the next big thing.

Opopanax posted:

My kid decided the end credits scene and I missed [spoiler]What Heimdell said. I assume he was offering her a job as a Valkyrie?

He just welcomed her to Valhalla. Though I assume if and when she comes back, it will be as a valkyrie like her current role in the comics.

glitchwraith fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jul 8, 2022

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

I enjoyed Love and Thunder, but agree with whoever said it’s less for not having Loki or Banner; specifically there’s not a real straight man for Hemsworth’s self-aggrandizing humor to play off of. Jane and Valkyrie don’t have quite the right personalities for it and Korg is too equally goofy to be a foil for Thor. Bale kills it, and I loved Gorr’s creepy murder goblin vibe.

Zeus is as much of an irritating twat as any good depiction of Zeus should be, and I’m glad he’s not dead. I look forward to Thor/Herc idiocy and hopefully Ares gets to play in that sandbox too, preferably with returning fire.

I would’ve like more history to the Necrosword than just “it’s an old sword I read about once that corrupts you!” Like I get they don’t want to/can’t get in to Knull stuff but a bigger breadcrumb of its history would’ve been nice.

The general world building was great; New Asgard being a big cruise ship destination was awesome and the god & cosmic cameos were fun (Bast! Mikaboshi! One Above All! Living Tribunal!).

So ostensibly Love/Gorr’s daughter is a brand new character, but does anyone else feel like she’s an MCU interpretation of Singularity? Visually that character shares a lot of traits with Eternity, which is consistent with the cosmic form we see in her reflection.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It must be weird to get cast in one of those cameo roles like Clea, Starfox, or now Hercules. Like, you're going to be in a movie that hasn't been announced yet but surely will happen, but won't be seen again for like 3 or 4 years minimum.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Sanschel posted:

I would’ve like more history to the Necrosword than just “it’s an old sword I read about once that corrupts you!” Like I get they don’t want to/can’t get in to Knull stuff but a bigger breadcrumb of its history would’ve been nice.

It's weird how Mjolnir absorbed all the pieces and then that wasn't commented or expanded on at all. I figured it was going to turn into the All-Weapon but nope

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

Sanschel posted:

Not sure this needs spoiler tags, but I'll play along. We got as much history of the Necrosword as we did in Jason Aaron's Thor. Personally, I don't think mentioning the tacked on retcon of it being related to Venom would have added anything to this story. As awesome as the goop monsters where in the comics, I really like what they did in the movie with the shadow effects.

Opopanax posted:

It's weird how Mjolnir absorbed all the pieces and then that wasn't commented or expanded on at all. I figured it was going to turn into the All-Weapon but nope

I assume it was just another example of Jane using Mjolnir creatively, given that the sword was too powerful to be destroyed by shattering.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I thought Love and Thunder was alright, but definitely a huge step down from Ragnarok. It's a lot less tightly wound than Ragnarok, and I think the rambly style of humour that Thor has been embedded with has really run its course for me. I don't think there were any jokes that got me good this time around.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked how Jane used the broken nature of Mjolnir to fight. Although I do agree that the movie needed a straight man character because every character being jokey was a little much.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Is it all quips all the time? :magical:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Collapsing Farts posted:

Is it all quips all the time? :magical:

Welcome to Taika unleashed

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I wouldn't say it's a "quippy" humor. The comedy comes from the characters being more dumb than sarcastic.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It's a Taika movie with most characters acting like Taika characters.

But I did like how that allowed Jane to be more of a character than the first two movies she was in. I also liked how it wasn't just Thor pining for Jane, but she was clearly pining for him as well. So it had those awkward moments before the "I want to feel lovely about you" conversation. Like how she asked if Thor had a girlfriend before taking off. And Valkyrie giving them both the nudges they needed since she was the only one who could tell they both still had feelings for one another.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

As great as Hemsworth is, but two of the best laughs in the movie are from goats and a stuffed rabbit.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It's very jokey but at least they all have different voices and styles of jokes, it's not like Wheadon or Bendis where they all sound exactly the same

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Opopanax posted:

It's very jokey but at least they all have different voices and styles of jokes, it's not like Wheadon or Bendis where they all sound exactly the same

yeah the humor comes from these different personalities smashing up against each other. It was so good.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1545497972594450432
The director hasn't done much but his most recent film, Luce, was fairly well received.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Cool. Are they overhauling the suit?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Cool. Are they overhauling the suit?

They overhaul the costumes every movie so probably.

Will it be good is a better question.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Why mess with perfection? :colbert:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The weird pattern on the straps of the goggles was hella distracting if nothing else.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He's here, he's there, he's every-loving-where!

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Saw it, liked it. Very disjointed, but they stuck the landing so hard that it ends up not mattering so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I liked it. Wasn't as good for me as Ragnarok, but that is a high bar, personally. I can't say I was surprised by anything, really. That's not bad, I just wasn't wowed.

I haven't really seen anyone here comment on Bale as Gorr, but without spoiling anything too much, he does some amazing manic creepiness and fantastic twisting of the knife.

The opening MARVEL Studios intro bit - was that Slash or anyone else of note doing a rock riff version? It's hard to google.