Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

so any cool new reports coming out soon to be horrified at?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
that's some forward thinking leadership

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Public EV chargers are mostly garbage, it'll be a slow charger at a suburban CVS, like you're gonna spend 10 hours there charging your car 50 miles

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

https://www.reddit.com/r/KitchenConfidential/comments/vuj713/is_this_common_owner_had_us_put_chicken_in/

quote:

Is this common? Owner had us put chicken in plastic bags throw into the fryer, bag dissolves, then we serve it (self.KitchenConfidential)

it was nearly a decade ago but It was a pizza shop. the oil would just dissolve the bag. I have to assume the petroleum from making the plastic just turns into oil.

other coworkers seemed more disturbed over how the ranch and blue cheese was made.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Just watched a commercial for Spectricide. A woman saw a beetle and a spider while laying in her hammock, so she nuked her entire yard.

and here I am, happy when I see a bee

gently caress

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

Bob Socko posted:

Just watched a commercial for Spectricide. A woman saw a beetle and a spider while laying in her hammock, so she nuked her entire yard.

and here I am, happy when I see a bee

gently caress

icky bugs kill them all

oops no food

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Paradoxish posted:

Replacing existing nuclear capacity with coal is one of the few things stupid enough to still shock me a little bit.

Yep.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

my coal is delicately hand-picked from only the finest seams, by our team of artisanal miners

Nanaimo on Vancouver Island was a major coal producer in the late 1800s. Last mine inside city limits shut down in the 1920s, one well south of town in the early 1960s. Apparently there's a couple more idling in the mountains waiting for "metallurgical" coal markets to improve. Coal mining stopped in Nanaimo due to competition with petroleum, not lack of coal. You can still get in to some of the workings if you know the locations and bring the right tools. During the economic downturn in the 1980s one of the mines inside the city limits was opened again and being worked by "bootleg" miners. Enough to keep some old miners' houses with their antique furnaces warm I expect.

Looking forward to that unique scent on the breeze again.

ted hitler hunter posted:

degrowth is murder

Well, at least they aren't planning on piping the coal gas directly into the apartments.

What? Too soon?

If you're not already sleeping on a mattress stuffed with chick peas you haven't been paying attention.

Stuff your pillow with sesame seeds if you like halvah, although I'm sure India, China, Myanmar, and Nigeria have nothing going on that would affect production.

Speaking of mattress stuffing, get to know this weed if it grows in your region:

Galium aparime, aka cleavers, stickyweed, or mattress straw. Likes to form dense mats on disturbed soil with some organic matter in it, similar to stinging nettles. Stems have little velcro-like hooks on them hence the name stickyweed. These hooks make it very effective mattress stuffing if you need to make the back seat of your car more comfortable when you have to start sleeping in it.

New growth can be eaten as a pot herb. The seeds can be dried, roasted to charcoal and prepared with enough sugar, caffeine pills, and dairy-like coffee creamer to provide a substitute for most Starbucks products.

Very useful, almost as tenacious as Himalayan Giant blackberry and much more comfortable to sleep on.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I guess we’ll have to eat the bugs after all :shrug:

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Complications posted:

Of course they are, that's zero emission power generation. The US accounts emissions at destination while Germany accounts at source, and via this clever trick of mathematics no co2 is measurably added to the atmosphere. It's the perfect environmentally conscious way to generate power.

Lmao that's not the actual trick they're using is it?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Hexigrammus posted:

How effective are heat pumps now at lower temperatures? I've heard they're getting better but effectiveness used to drop off significantly below 4oC.

It is still more efficient than direct electricity heating. My Toshiba mini split claims it can work at -20C temperatures. Some models work still at -25C..

quote:

Otoh if Finland has another winter like last year there might not be much need for extra heat. If I recall correctly the lower half of the country was wet instead of frozen.

We had 60cm of snow in Tampere quite late last winter.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

IAMKOREA posted:

Lmao that's not the actual trick they're using is it?

I regret to (gigglingly) inform you that is not a joke.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Complications posted:

I regret to (gigglingly) inform you that is not a joke.

No loving way lol. I believe you but do you have a link, I tried googling and couldn't find anything about it

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 10 days!)

Delta-Wye posted:

that rock in japan contained a nine-tailed fox demon, i wonder what kind of monster was let loose from the guidestone :ohdear:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

:(

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

mawarannahr posted:

I guess we’ll have to eat the bugs after all :shrug:

It's funny seeing right-wing memes integrate climate change poo poo into their ideology. They basically accepted what is coming but still post poo poo like this:

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

NO

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

when the shmita year ends i am going to grow enough chickpeas to provide hommus for all my loved ones

actually i recommend learning to grow chickpeas no matter where you are. with a bit of care they can survive as a small-scale crop in a wide variety of climates. if you manage to produce a surplus, they will be a commodity everywhere in the world as soon as industrial agriculture fails. i don't know of any other pulse that is so widely beloved

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

Hexigrammus posted:

If you're not already sleeping on a mattress stuffed with chick peas you haven't been paying attention.

Stuff your pillow with sesame seeds if you like halvah, although I'm sure India, China, Myanmar, and Nigeria have nothing going on that would affect production.

Speaking of mattress stuffing, get to know this weed if it grows in your region:

Galium aparime, aka cleavers, stickyweed, or mattress straw. Likes to form dense mats on disturbed soil with some organic matter in it, similar to stinging nettles. Stems have little velcro-like hooks on them hence the name stickyweed. These hooks make it very effective mattress stuffing if you need to make the back seat of your car more comfortable when you have to start sleeping in it.

New growth can be eaten as a pot herb. The seeds can be dried, roasted to charcoal and prepared with enough sugar, caffeine pills, and dairy-like coffee creamer to provide a substitute for most Starbucks products.

Very useful, almost as tenacious as Himalayan Giant blackberry and much more comfortable to sleep on.
incredible advice

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

this is my list of crops i'm gathering seeds for and trying to figure out within the next 12 months or so, assuming they're just going to disappear one day and then i'll be able to profit from my harvest and/or survive the famines to come: chickpeas, sesame, lentils, soy beans, eggplants (i absolutely cannot grow eggplants and it drives me mad but i keep trying), saltbush

i can already do: barley, wheat, buckwheat, tomatoes, weed, herbs, lettuces (the price for lettuce skyrocketed overnight in australia because all our suppliers got flooded and now i'm guarding my seedlings like diamonds), tatsoi, silverbeet, pumpkins, blackberries lmao, citrus, eucalypts, acacias, casuarinas, kurrajongs, native grasses (everyone i beg you, learn to grow flora native to your area and plant it everywhere. help the bugs. let the bugs live)

all of these i will pass down to my descendants. and so we evolve

mahershalalhashbaz has issued a correction as of 11:26 on Jul 9, 2022

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

i love this thread

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Hexigrammus posted:

Galium aparime, aka cleavers, stickyweed, or mattress straw.

cmon man :colbert:

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/GeorgeMonbiot/status/1545087611366248448

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Not only will you eat the bugs, you will miss eating them when they're gone

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/08/opinion/environment/air-pollution-deaths-climate-change.html

quote:

For every thousand people alive on earth, 973 are regularly inhaling toxins. Only 27 are not. Which means, almost certainly, you are too.

Last fall, the World Health Organization lowered its global air quality standard from 10 micrograms of particulate matter per cubic meter to five. Those terms and standards can feel abstract, which makes their meaning a bit hard to fathom. But last month the University of Chicago’s Air Quality Life Index project — the gold standard on global air quality research — released a major update, incorporating the new guidelines and producing that 973 out of 1,000 (97.3 percent) figure.

The harm is most intense in poorer, still-industrializing places. But the revision was especially dramatic, A.Q.L.I. found, in the wealthier parts of the world. In the United States, before the W.H.O. update, about 8 percent of the country was judged to be breathing dirty air; after, the figure was 93 percent. Across Europe, the revision pushed the numbers from 47 percent to 95.5 percent.

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020
100% pure nz

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/470457/air-pollution-from-cars-killing-thousands-of-nzers-yearly

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Hexigrammus posted:

Yep.

Nanaimo on Vancouver Island was a major coal producer in the late 1800s. Last mine inside city limits shut down in the 1920s, one well south of town in the early 1960s. Apparently there's a couple more idling in the mountains waiting for "metallurgical" coal markets to improve. Coal mining stopped in Nanaimo due to competition with petroleum, not lack of coal. You can still get in to some of the workings if you know the locations and bring the right tools. During the economic downturn in the 1980s one of the mines inside the city limits was opened again and being worked by "bootleg" miners. Enough to keep some old miners' houses with their antique furnaces warm I expect.

Looking forward to that unique scent on the breeze again.

Well, at least they aren't planning on piping the coal gas directly into the apartments.

What? Too soon?

Quoting for ref. I have a half acre of this stuff. Had to cut it back because it was going to consume my food garden. But thanks for telling me it's so useful

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

err posted:

It's funny seeing right-wing memes integrate climate change poo poo into their ideology. They basically accepted what is coming but still post poo poo like this:

But they actually didn't do that. They maintain that climate change is a hoax perpetrated by, not the ruling class but, WEF communists. They've accepted that what is coming are immiserating, damaging, deadly policies which do not solve the problem and transfer money upwards but that the policies are a response to the conditions they themselves manufactured by either a. Reality manipulation, media and science manipulation b. weather machines.

Edit: as it bears repeating, they did not correctly analyze and critique ruling class programmes and salvos for this correct conclusion (former not latter). They were given truth by limited hangout for scapegoating of actually existing communists through misnaming. This is a stacked function with many purposes that I don't have the energy to re-explain so quickly quickly: strategy of tension, shitcoating, redbaiting, spectacle, reification.

Perry Mason Jar has issued a correction as of 15:45 on Jul 9, 2022

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

roundup is found in 80% of americans urine now

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Real hurthling! posted:

sadly u still get a ticket for peeing on peoples lawns even if you explain its free pesticide treatment

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Real hurthling! posted:

Yeah, but I'm roundup ready

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

toilet weed free

goochtit
Nov 2, 2021

SKULL.GIF posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/KitchenConfidential/comments/vuj713/is_this_common_owner_had_us_put_chicken_in/

quote:

Is this common? Owner had us put chicken in plastic bags throw into the fryer, bag dissolves, then we serve it (self.KitchenConfidential)

it was nearly a decade ago but It was a pizza shop. the oil would just dissolve the bag. I have to assume the petroleum from making the plastic just turns into oil.

other coworkers seemed more disturbed over how the ranch and blue cheese was made.
:stare:

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Lol, gonna speedrun The Jungle

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

IAMKOREA posted:

No loving way lol. I believe you but do you have a link, I tried googling and couldn't find anything about it

You remember planet of the humans? It's in there as an aside during their discussion on biomass, though I forget the time since it's been a couple years.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

mahershalalhashbaz posted:

this is my list of crops i'm gathering seeds for and trying to figure out within the next 12 months or so, assuming they're just going to disappear one day and then i'll be able to profit from my harvest and/or survive the famines to come: chickpeas, sesame, lentils, soy beans, eggplants (i absolutely cannot grow eggplants and it drives me mad but i keep trying), saltbush

I have some chick peas developed by a little old Gulf Island hippiechick and sold through an old world hippie Gulf Island seed house. Open pollinated and adapted to local conditions. I love these people.

I don't know about your saltbush, the halophyte I've been trying to grow is salsola. Complete pain in the arse to germinate. I might try spinkling some salt on a tray of seeds next spring, see if that improves its attitude.

Our two major honey flows are broadleaf maple in the early spring (honey not harvested - the bees need it to build up their strength) and blackberry, which should be happening now but it's been raining for the last week, the flowers are soaked and even the wild bees aren't flying. Everyone is sitting in the hive grumbling to each other.

Not sure how I feel about our major honey flow coming from an alien invasive species. This biodiversity thing is hard.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

How can this be? I am assured glyphosate degrades and disappears within a few days.

My glyphosate :crackping: was finding out that farmers use it to field dry non-Roundup Ready crops. You take a crop of say, chickpeas, wait for a few days of good weather then hose it down with Roundup and let it dry on the ground. Saves space in the drying barns.

You boys sure you know what you're doing?

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Real hurthling! posted:

:piss:

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

I guess I had a second glyphosate :crackping: - mammals don't have a metabolic pathway that glyphosate would affect. Fungus, yeast1, and bacteria do. Our gut is full of these and we depend on them for health and life itself. There's even evidence now that the gut biome affects mood and thinking. If we're getting a constant exposure high enough that undegraded glyphosate is detectable in the blood that might explain some of the mass dementia we seem to have going here.

When it comes to gut biome research we're just at the point of crawling to edge of the hole, throwing a rock in and still waiting for the sound of it hitting bottom. Meanwhile the group over there at that other hole is summoning :cthulhu:

We are so very, very hosed. In the meantime keep your gut healthy by eating your (organic2) beans and veggies (and bugs).

1) Ask major brewers why they're now testing barley shipments for glyphosate. NOT THE BEER!!!!! BURN MONSANTO BAYER TO THE GROUND!!!!!

2) Offer not valid for poor people, people dependent on commercial food supply infrastructure, or otherwise landless proletariat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
this thread rules cos all the other threads are afraid of it. :black101:

in other news https://arstechnica.com/science/2022/07/florida-battling-giant-savage-snails-that-spread-brain-invading-worms-again/

quote:

Florida once again has giant calamitous snails that spew parasitic brain worms
This is the third time the state has tried to eliminate the giant snails.

Officials in Florida are again battling a highly invasive, extraordinarily destructive giant snail species that also happens to be capable of spreading parasitic worms that invade human brains.

The giant African land snail (GALS)—aka Lissachatina fulica—can grow up to 20 centimeters (8 inches) long and is considered "one of the most invasive pests on the planet," according to the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. It ravenously feasts on over 500 plant species—including many valuable fruits, vegetables, and ornamentals—while prolifically spawning, pushing out several thousand eggs in its multiyear life span.

In late June, Florida state officials confirmed the presence of GALS on a property in Pasco County, on the west-central coast of the state, just north of Tampa. They have since set up a quarantine zone around the property and began snail-killing pesticide treatments last week.

While the snails are a grave threat to agriculture and natural vegetation in the state, the invasive mollusks also pose a health risk. They're known to transmit rat lungworm parasites, which can invade the human central nervous system and cause a type of meningitis. For this reason, officials warn people not to handle the mammoth snails without gloves.