Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Not only do the angels specifically not come back in the story, Giada joins them in being part of the structure of the city and they seem to accept the status quo of their very essence being the literal stones and metal of the city itself.

It's really bad, and the way that Angels are used in the actual set means someone miscommunicated something, because they're clearly meant to be concerning to see back due to the lawless city suddenly having a force for law/order that may in fact be over-zealous.

They outright had a mass citywide nightmare of the Angels returning for every future-teller, which clearly made the angels coming back feel like something terrible not good (and my expectation was the Angels would have been all phyrexianised and used to build the city as a one two combo).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Ixalan, Amonkhet and Kaladesh really benefitted from 2-set blocks with first set showing the world and the second being heavy on story development; all three of those planes got fairly positive response I think.

Out of the recent ones I think Ikoria and Eldraine got decent introduction yet were severely hurt in the storytelling-through-cards (Ikoria ones even contradict the official story), Strixhaven and New Capenna are just pure duds with a few strong visual motifs.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
It must be a marketing thing, a lot easier to hype 4 different worlds per year instead of 2

I think the real problem is that no-one gives a gently caress about any of the characters at all so there's nothing really taking you from one set to the next

I wouldn't mind going back to 2 set blocks for setting/story but I don't want to do 2 set mechanically linked blocks, having each set be new is way better for limited

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

It must be a marketing thing, a lot easier to hype 4 different worlds per year instead of 2

It's absolutely a business thing and they're open about it. Second sets almost always sold worse (like third sets did before that), so they moved to the current model to see if that changed, and it did. Regardless of how players feel about the effects on the story, WotC have seen a marked increase in sales and so are very happy with the model.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Definitely feels like they’ve had more misses since the latest “metamorphosis”. Though idk if it’s an inherent problem, or just the planes they’ve decided to go with. Is MtG Hogwarts a deep enough well to build a whole set around?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I definitely thought there was going to be an “Angels are evil” twist given that there are black-aligned ones; their colours align with the guild whose thing is knowing horrifying secrets. Hopefully there still will be! It would be awesome if Elspeth is a force for OG Phyrexia somehow, and that’s the real reason she is feared by Elesh Norn

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
If they're going to keep doing Alchemy sets a few weeks after each set, maybe they could make them "epilogue" sets that show the plane after the main set story

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Barry Shitpeas posted:

If they're going to keep doing Alchemy sets a few weeks after each set, maybe they could make them "epilogue" sets that show the plane after the main set story

Alchemy showing the real ending to the plot of a set = Palpatine in Fortnite

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

LifeLynx posted:

What

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

The time that Fortnite hosted exclusive SW content that just happened to actually be important to the story of the next (final) film and most people didn’t see it.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

you needed to play Fortnite to get the lore how Palpatine survived to RoS (or poo poo like that)

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

A rather significant plot event hand-waved over in the opening crawl of Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker were only available if you played Fortnite's Star Wars tie-in event

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4u0ejXC7kFs

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

I never really got why he’d want to send that broadcast in the first place, although I know if you start asking questions about that trilogy you’ll never stop

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

lmao every time someone reminds me that really happened

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Yall are massively over selling how important that fortnite event is lmao, it doesnt matter to the movie at all

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Look i hate the 9th movie pls dont make me defend it

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

mandatory lesbian posted:

Yall are massively over selling how important that fortnite event is lmao, it doesnt matter to the movie at all

You can't know that without having seen the event, though, which is the whole point.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

TotalHell posted:

The time that Fortnite hosted exclusive SW content that just happened to actually be important to the story of the next (final) film and most people didn’t see it.

Lmao

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Look i hate the 9th movie pls dont make me defend it

Sorry you're a Star Wars YouTube guy now. Here is your beard and baseball cap

Sorry I don't make the rules I'm just doing my job

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

LifeLynx posted:

as opposed to the real ending being in a story on the website or a tie-in novel?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Toshimo posted:

You can't know that without having seen the event, though, which is the whole point.

Yes you do, bc it doesnt come up in the movie except as an aside, letting you know it doesnt matter

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Barry Shitpeas posted:

as opposed to the real ending being in a story on the website or a tie-in novel?

you are on the same side, it should be in the cards themselves not in fortnite or novels etc

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Yes you do, bc it doesnt come up in the movie except as an aside, letting you know it doesnt matter

Can't wait for the Mt:G equivalent of "Somehow, Palpatine has returned." Assuming it hasn't happened multiple times already, I don't follow the goofy MTG story.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TotalHell posted:

Can't wait for the Mt:G equivalent of "Somehow, Palpatine has returned." Assuming it hasn't happened multiple times already, I don't follow the goofy MTG story.

Tbf, in legends canon palpatine comes back like a billion times. To be unfair, disney explicitly said legends wasnt canon, and gently caress them for that

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Palpy's Back, Baby!
[Dread Return]

Sorcery — 2BB

Return target creature card from the graveyard to the battlefield.

Flashback—Sacrifice three creatures.

"No one's ever really gone."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Note, i did literal zero math so im making a guess its supposed to be parodying yorion decks

No wait im a fool, i thought he had 24 cards in deck and 24 in graveyard but the deck size is actually like...8. Lol its been so long since ive seen an mtgo screen ive forgotton what icons mean what

A burn deck getting locked behind its eidolons but the opposing combo player being scared to pull the trigger because they would get blasted in response is very funny to me.

I appreciated that at the end of the match he showed that someone on Twitter called the winning line of play which he wasn't able to see because he got tilted that his obvious outs were literally at the bottom of the deck

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Tbf, in legends canon palpatine comes back like a billion times. To be unfair, disney explicitly said legends wasnt canon, and gently caress them for that

Oh yeah I know he popped up a bunch in Legends with like cloning and other nonsense, but yeah. We won’t derail into how great it is from a storytelling perspective to just say “uhhh remember the big bad from back when? Yeah he’s back now. No we didn’t build to this.”

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

kalel posted:

Palpy's Back, Baby!
[Dread Return]

Sorcery — 2BB

Return target creature card from the graveyard to the battlefield.

Flashback—Sacrifice three creatures.

"No one's ever really gone."

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

TotalHell posted:

Somehow, Yawgmoth has returned.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

I kinda think this will happen if brothers war is a time travel story as rumored

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

kalel posted:

boshnroll is the platonic ideal of MTG content creators imo. it helps that legacy is so powerful and has such a vast card pool that brews are much more likely to be viable than in other formats

Nah, it's just that so few people pay legacy at really competitive level nobody care about breaking the meta and you can even play weak poo poo.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MonsieurChoc posted:

I really miss that guy. :smith:

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

A burn deck getting locked behind its eidolons but the opposing combo player being scared to pull the trigger because they would get blasted in response is very funny to me.

I appreciated that at the end of the match he showed that someone on Twitter called the winning line of play which he wasn't able to see because he got tilted that his obvious outs were literally at the bottom of the deck

Wait for storm(?) to cast blue spell, blow up eidolons, blast the blue combo piece, bolt 3 goblins, put down the other swiftspear and wait 5 turns?

I'm not sure I'm parsing it right, but that is 5 cards left in his opponent's library right?

vegetables
Mar 10, 2012

TotalHell posted:

It did with Niv-Mizzet, except they didn’t put out the story where he died and so his being resurrected was confusing

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I kinda think this will happen if brothers war is a time travel story as rumored

Oh God this just gave me a dire premonition that The Brothers' War story is gonna go just like the awful Warlords of Draenor story in WoW, with Yawgmoth as Gul'Dan.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Mishra got printed in Time Spiral.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Algid posted:

Wait for storm(?) to cast blue spell, blow up eidolons, blast the blue combo piece, bolt 3 goblins, put down the other swiftspear and wait 5 turns?

I'm not sure I'm parsing it right, but that is 5 cards left in his opponent's library right?

It was Ad Nauseam Tendrils, they waited until they had 1 card left to do the combo. Brian had drawn a second Fireblast and could have done this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAS7ocuOZto

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I think Brothers War is just going to be a retelling of the existing story. It never got a set and there are plenty of characters to make legends out of. I'm not sure what Dominaria United will be, Apocalypse block was already Dominaria united against the Phyrexians so doing it again just seems weird.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I found a bunch of collector's and draft boosters of Double Masters in Target today, so knowing that it's hitting the big box stores makes me hopeful that singles prices will go down a good bit, at least for rares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Oh God this just gave me a dire premonition that The Brothers' War story is gonna go just like the awful Warlords of Draenor story in WoW, with Yawgmoth as Gul'Dan.

care to do the needful for us non-wow nerds