Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

toplitzin posted:

Leftover burnt ends and slaw

Sir you must cease this lewd behavior immediately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Human Tornada posted:

Made some vegetarian mapo tofu tater tots as a Friday night snack. A looser gravy would have been better for this application but it was still very good.

Wait, this sounds great but I have to ask, did the tater tots come out soggy because of the mapo sauce, or did the tofu have to be drier than normal?

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Pirate Radar posted:

Wait, this sounds great but I have to ask, did the tater tots come out soggy because of the mapo sauce, or did the tofu have to be drier than normal?

I mean the tots are crispy and then you pour the mapo tofu over top just before serving and eventually they'll get soggy but IIRC they held up pretty well in the 10 minutes it took me to eat this. I made the sauce a little thicker than I usually would (a little extra cornstarch) because I was thinking I would want it kind of like a Western style chili but now I'm thinking a looser gravy would soak into the tots more and up the sloppiness factor and just generally improve the dish.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
Oooo

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
After a glorious weekend of meaty decadence from smoked ribs to beer brats across multiple cookouts, I needed to switch it up.

Grilled teriyaki tempeh and veggies.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

No, ooni.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Aglio e olio w/ chopped clams. Anchovies melted right into the olive oil.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

That makes me want sloppy joes for some weird reason. May have to do that next week.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

But I repeat myself

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Bloodfart McCoy posted:

Aglio e olio w/ chopped clams. Anchovies melted right into the olive oil.

This looks amazing. Spaghetti alle vongole is one of my favorites and starting with anchovies melted into the oil makes pretty much every pasta better.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I one time accidentally ordered anchovies on my pizza, instead of artichokes. They were truly disgusting. I peeled them off but even then the pizza was ruined. That said, I recently had boquerones and it was actually really good. I'm not sure why people apparently insist on ruining this fish with a million pounds of salt?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Preservation.

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I wanted to try anchovies on pizza for the first time so last week I made my own. It was just OK. I ended up removing most of them but the remnants of flavor they left on the pizza were alright. I may have messed up by using fancy refrigerated anchovies, rather than the typical can or jar. They weren't nearly as salty, tasted almost like pickled herring. I've used them in a couple dressings and marinades since then and they were great in those. I'll give the pizza one more go, with more traditional anchovies, but I think I'm probably just not a huge fan.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
I recently had anchovies on a Caesar salad at a semi-fancy Italian place and it was AWESOME

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Also great on a Niçoise salad.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I'm still trying to learn to cook. Any advice is welcome.

I tried making skewers. I'm not sure if the texture was improved vs just roasting in the pan. The marinade I used had a whole lemon's worth of lemon juice and it made the chicken taste a little too sour. I think the onions were the best part.

The skewers themselves weren't even warm after being in the oven at 400F for 20 minutes. No idea what they are made of.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Nebrilos posted:

I tried making skewers. I'm not sure if the texture was improved vs just roasting in the pan. The marinade I used had a whole lemon's worth of lemon juice and it made the chicken taste a little too sour. I think the onions were the best part.

The skewers themselves weren't even warm after being in the oven at 400F for 20 minutes. No idea what they are made of.

hard to tell looking at a photo, but it looks as if you could use a little bit more oil on everything on the skewers before going into the oven. that might give it more of a oven roasted vibe. don't be stingy with the salt either, imo.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Nebrilos posted:

How long did you marinade the chicken? The longer you marinade something in citrus it kinda makes it taste weird.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
Thanks for the advice.

Stringent posted:

hard to tell looking at a photo, but it looks as if you could use a little bit more oil on everything on the skewers before going into the oven. that might give it more of a oven roasted vibe. don't be stingy with the salt either, imo.

The marinade (which only went on the chicken) had 2 TBSP of oil in it and .5 tsp salt. The recipe didn't say to put oil and salt on the vegetables, and I realized that was weird right after I had put everything on the skewers. I added a bit of oil and salt to the vegetables, but it was hard to do on the skewers.

TontoCorazon posted:

How long did you marinade the chicken? The longer you marinade something in citrus it kinda makes it taste weird.

Half an hour.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Nebrilos posted:

A bunch of advice/opinion: grill them, not roast them. If you have to roast them, you need a much hotter oven. Alternatively use chicken thigh which needs a longer cook (and has more fat and flavour) or much bigger pieces of breast, or smaller bits of vegetable. If you’re using quality ingredients a marinade is pointless on skewers, oil and fire or direct heat should cook the whole thing in less than ten minutes, after which a spritz of fresh lemon and some crunchy salt will achieve a much better effect. Acid has a tendency to ‘cook’ food, so raw lemon can screw up cooking times, especially on something that requires almost no cooking (like little bits of chicken breast). Try grating some lemon zest into the oil you’re cooking with.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Nice crust. What dough recipe did you use?

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Nebrilos posted:

If you have access to a nice hot grill, that’s going to be your best bet for skewers. The flame will bring a bit of that great charred flavor that you’re looking for.

Never done skewers in the oven, but if I was going to try it I’d say get them under the broiler nice and close. Then flip them when they get some char on them. A little brush of olive oil and making sure the veggies and meat are patted dry before broiling/grilling will allow for better browning.

Overall the ones you made don’t look bad. I’d eat them.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Torquemada posted:

A bunch of advice/opinion: grill them, not roast them. If you have to roast them, you need a much hotter oven. Alternatively use chicken thigh which needs a longer cook (and has more fat and flavour) or much bigger pieces of breast, or smaller bits of vegetable. If you’re using quality ingredients a marinade is pointless on skewers, oil and fire or direct heat should cook the whole thing in less than ten minutes, after which a spritz of fresh lemon and some crunchy salt will achieve a much better effect. Acid has a tendency to ‘cook’ food, so raw lemon can screw up cooking times, especially on something that requires almost no cooking (like little bits of chicken breast). Try grating some lemon zest into the oil you’re cooking with.

This is all correct to me. My skewers are always chicken thighs, and either grilled or on the top rack under the broiler, turned four times, finished with lemon and salt, and ready.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Finally cooked my big bone-in ribeye last night, turned out VERY good!

3 days ago, just after salting it and before putting it in the fridge for the dry-brine...

And here's what it looked like after 2.5 days of dry-brining in the fridge, and sawing off the bone on the end so the drat thing will lay flat in the pan. I let it cool down, and then seasoned it liberally with Montreal-style Steak Seasoning seconds before...

Searing in a pan with butter, fresh garlic, rosemary, thyme, and chopped scallions, getting that nice tasty crust and doing lots of basting...

Done and cooling for five minutes...

Got a perfect medium-rare except on like the very end; quite pleased with myself, was REALLY delicious and all three of us ate every last morsel and gnawed the bone :)

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

kaworu posted:

Finally cooked my big bone-in ribeye last night, turned out VERY good!

3 days ago, just after salting it and before putting it in the fridge for the dry-brine...

And here's what it looked like after 2.5 days of dry-brining in the fridge, and sawing off the bone on the end so the drat thing will lay flat in the pan. I let it cool down, and then seasoned it liberally with Montreal-style Steak Seasoning seconds before...

Searing in a pan with butter, fresh garlic, rosemary, thyme, and chopped scallions, getting that nice tasty crust and doing lots of basting...

Done and cooling for five minutes...

Got a perfect medium-rare except on like the very end; quite pleased with myself, was REALLY delicious and all three of us ate every last morsel and gnawed the bone :)

Would chew on that bone!

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Sliced chicken breast and lemon-caper sauce over fettuccine.

It was sort of like a lighter chicken piccata. Really tasty and pretty easy.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012
I tried augmenting some store-bought tomato sauce with the stir-fried vegetables. It was okay, but the texture was wrong. I think the sauce was too thin. It needed to be thicker to go with the vegetables. Do you think I could have tried reducing the sauce?

Torquemada posted:

May I ask why you recommend smaller pieces of vegetable? Is it because the vegetables were undercooked compared to the chicken? I thought the vegetables came out fine texture-wise and I measured the chicken with an instant read thermometer.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Grilled chops with Montreal chicken seasoning, roasted sweet/potatoes with onion soup mix, sautéed zucchini from the garden.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Nebrilos posted:

I tried augmenting some store-bought tomato sauce with the stir-fried vegetables. It was okay, but the texture was wrong. I think the sauce was too thin. It needed to be thicker to go with the vegetables. Do you think I could have tried reducing the sauce?

You can absolutely reduce tomato sauce, it will only become better tasting. I like to augment a high quality storebought marinara with Italian sausage or meatballs as well as vegetables and usually this requires a bit of cooking to marry everything together.

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

vonnegutt posted:

You can absolutely reduce tomato sauce, it will only become better tasting. I like to augment a high quality storebought marinara with Italian sausage or meatballs as well as vegetables and usually this requires a bit of cooking to marry everything together.

Can you tell me which store-bought marinara sauces you would consider high quality? Sorry for all the questions.

devmd01 posted:

roasted sweet/potatoes with onion soup mix

:mods:

Nebrilos fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jul 13, 2022

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Rao’s sauce is good.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

Nebrilos posted:

May I ask why you recommend smaller pieces of vegetable? Is it because the vegetables were undercooked compared to the chicken? I thought the vegetables came out fine texture-wise and I measured the chicken with an instant read thermometer.

My guess is smaller pieces means more surface area for charring/browning and more evenly cooked veggies.

midori-a-gogo
Feb 26, 2006

feeling a bit green
yum nua with somen. it's over 80 degrees in london and spicy + herbs + chilled noodles is the only thing that makes life feel worth living

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Nebrilos posted:

You need juicy meat and veg with charred bits, which is the point of skewers. The veg will be enjoyable over a much wider range of cooking time and temperature than the chicken: that is to say onions and peppers taste good raw, really charred and soft, and every point in between. Chicken is only good for a tiny bit of time when cooked this way.

So. Either you use bigger bits of chicken, which have a chance to char up before the interior is overdone, or smaller veg and a much hotter heat. Sorry if this doesn’t make sense, I’m very tired.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Had to plate fast and messy due to hungry toddler

Jeweled rice, lentil zucchini fritters with lemon yogurt sauce, baby corn with butter. I always balk at how big the zucchini pieces look in the batter but I'm always happy they stick out and get slightly charred!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

I hope you ate the baby corn like little corn on the cob

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Nebrilos posted:

Can you tell me which store-bought marinara sauces you would consider high quality? Sorry for all the questions.

:mods:

Chemmy posted:

Rao’s sauce is good.

Rao's is exactly what I use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
I made Ottolenghi's Celebration Rice today, for my sister's birthday even though she's 3000 miles away. Made it as written except was so excited to eat it I that forgot the sprinkling of parsley at the end, which would have made it even prettier. 5/5 for appearance and flavor, for sure will make again. Next time I would try to increase the spices, though I worry it will make the rice a less appealing brown color. Also would half the recipe because oof at this beautiful mountain of food for a not very large family. Dogs are going to eat really well for a little while. I think also next time I would be conservative with the yogurt drizzle. It's delicious, but I'm concerned what it will do when I reheat it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!