Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

it's a great sword coast stratagems type of mod for morrowind. whether or not you want that is up to you, the description does a good job of telling you what it does

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
You know, I've heard of Sword Coast Stratagems and I'm always left quietly concerned that other people don't think BG1 I'd already really really hard :ohdear:

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Hey, can I get an idiot's guide to making a multipatch with MO2?

I've read to make a multipatch.bat with

code:
tes3cmd multipatch > Tes3cmd_Multipatch.log

type Tes3cmd_Multipatch.log

pause
that inside it?

And then run it through MO2, but when I do, it says it combined 0 things and creates a blank file?

Apparently MashPatches really just aren't as good, but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get tes3cmd to make an actual multipatch through MO2?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's the sort of stuff I respect in the abstract, but in this case I'm erring on the side of vanilla, warts and all. My overall intent is to play MW as close to the original experience as possible, within reason. Hell, I'm still a little iffy on a few of the gameplay mods I've picked out.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
That's a super valid way to play, so really these arguments in favor of the mods is more like "I consider this mod indispensable to a modded playthrough because..." If your starting point is "A very lightly updated vanilla experience" then yeah absolutely. I played a LOT of Morrowind on the Xbox before I rediscovered it on Steam.

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I like Morrowind :)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

kazr posted:

s'wit

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

kazr posted:

You n’wah!

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
So the game always gave you plenty of context to make it clear that N’wah means something like a combination of a racial slur, religious infidel, and foreigner. But Swit and Fetcher never get the same kind of elaboration in-game. Is there some lost tome or similar that I’ve missed that elaborates on them? I’d like to be properly offended when cussed at by my video games.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
I picked up my old Morrowind playthrough the other day, and one thing I had forgotten is how loving good Ashfall is.
I remember the Bad Old Days of survival/needs mods in Morrowind, and they were janky as gently caress, nothing interacted properly with anything else, all the status effects from hunger and thirst and suchlike were clumsily implemented and hard to track...
And now we've got Ashfall, and it feels so slick I could almost believe it was part of the vanilla game. The fact that you can just drop some wood, zap it with Firebite, drop a pan from your inventory into the fire, then drop a bit of rat meat on the pan and wait for it to cook, with no special hotkeys or custom-added powers or anything like that is incredible.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

galagazombie posted:

So the game always gave you plenty of context to make it clear that N’wah means something like a combination of a racial slur, religious infidel, and foreigner. But Swit and Fetcher never get the same kind of elaboration in-game. Is there some lost tome or similar that I’ve missed that elaborates on them? I’d like to be properly offended when cussed at by my video games.

apparently they do all have explicit meanings! N'wah is foreigner as you thought, Fetcher is quite literal - slave or servant, someone who fetches - and s'wit means "slow-witted" so basically they're calling you the r-word.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

apparently they do all have explicit meanings! N'wah is foreigner as you thought, Fetcher is quite literal - slave or servant, someone who fetches - and s'wit means "slow-witted" so basically they're calling you the r-word.

The latter two being so literal is funny. The turboxenophobe's go-to insults are both adopted wholesale from the language of the conquerors.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The latter two being so literal is funny. The turboxenophobe's go-to insults are both adopted wholesale from the language of the conquerors.

buh

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

The_White_Crane posted:

I picked up my old Morrowind playthrough the other day, and one thing I had forgotten is how loving good Ashfall is.
I remember the Bad Old Days of survival/needs mods in Morrowind, and they were janky as gently caress, nothing interacted properly with anything else, all the status effects from hunger and thirst and suchlike were clumsily implemented and hard to track...
And now we've got Ashfall, and it feels so slick I could almost believe it was part of the vanilla game. The fact that you can just drop some wood, zap it with Firebite, drop a pan from your inventory into the fire, then drop a bit of rat meat on the pan and wait for it to cook, with no special hotkeys or custom-added powers or anything like that is incredible.

What is the appeal of survival-type mods/games? I do enough chores in my real life. I'm glad folks who are into that have a great option for Morrowind, I've just never seen it, myself.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Even in Tamriel there is no escape from the English

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Even in Tamriel there is no escape from the English

What could England possibly have to do with a game about an island filled with insane xenophobes suffering constant waves of plagues and incredibly miserable weather?

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

hooah posted:

What is the appeal of survival-type mods/games? I do enough chores in my real life. I'm glad folks who are into that have a great option for Morrowind, I've just never seen it, myself.

I mean, it depends on the game.

For me, the reason I like having one in Morrowind specifically is because the main appeal of Morrowind (to me, anyway) is the setting and the sense of place, and because Morrowind is ultimately a very easy game. I enjoy the extra layer of interactivity, and the feeling of being more firmly engaged with the world that I get from having to actually eat meals and worry about the heat of the ashlands and that sort of thing. It's not a huge chore to grab some meat from a dead nixhound and pick some saltrice when I pass a bush, and being obliged to stop and boil up some stew once every real-world hour or two makes me pause for a moment to appreciate the vibes, when otherwise I would just be jumping past.

It doesn't make the game very much more punishing, but it makes it feel more like a place I am inhabiting rather than a movie set I'm touring.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
yeah i agree, i feel like ashfall extends the lower levels of the game because you have to pay for food and clothes that you might otherwise just skip, and the lower levels are a good part of the game. It's inevitable you're going to be an unbreakable mega god so this early and mid game are more interesting to me.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah, Ashfall + not looting the census office and actually being dirt poor in a foreign land, relying on your early imperial stipends to get two bits of armour and a poo poo weapon, while still needing food and sleep, that really plays to Morrowind's environment and exploration. And it becomes that much sweeter when you become an invincible flying god.

And it's not really annoying like other ones were. As said it's really seamless.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jul 9, 2022

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
On one level, Ashfall provides numerous new and thoughtful game mechanics that interact in interesting ways.

On another level, it helps me play pretend.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Ashfall is fun because I get to stop in the morning after waking up and pick out what ingredients I want in this stew and then brew some tea while I'm at it so instead of the game just being "go to objective-->do task-->return-->go to objective-->do task-->return" it has a much more natural flow and pacing.

Also when I'm in Sheogorad or whatever and it starts raining it's like, heck, I'm gonna freeze to death, gotta find a spot to wait out the rain, and that's fun. When you play one game for 20 years you need new mechanics or else you'll get bored?

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

FlocksOfMice posted:

. When you play one game for 20 years you need new mechanics or else you'll get bored?

As much as I love Morrowind that’s generally a sign you should go play a different game.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

galagazombie posted:

As much as I love Morrowind that’s generally a sign you should go play a different game.

I'm sorry for the bad not-morrowind games you've deceived yourself into playing

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

galagazombie posted:

Can you unironically name a game that has what 20 years of modded Morrowind has that isn't like, Kenshi? Because I cannot think of anything else that lets me simultaneously wander around pretty scenery, play dollhouse, go on adventures, and create an emergent story in a setting that isn't just the same exact DnD fantasy setting? Like unironically, not asking for a friend, please tell me one other game in this genre. I am ravenous for it.

e: like i'm serious i'm not trying to be an rear end in a top hat i would love another game other than morrowind to hold my attention for any length of time please

Oblivion is... okay, but its worldbuilding has nothing near the heart of Morrowind and its factions and storylines are all very up their own butts about their own writing (DB especially please yes tell me more about how my character is too dumb to notice the obvious plot twist and can do nothing about it). Skyrim is just, oh wow Skyrim is an absolutely soulless nothing where you're the Magic All Powerful Chosen One in a sandbox that exists to cater to your desires and also the main conflicts are: a) dragons for no reason, but it's cool you're the chosen one for equally no reason, and b) ethnonationalism in video game form, because I dont' get enough of that irl.

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jul 11, 2022

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
You know, I'd heard of Kenshi, but that might be the most compelling recommendation of it I've seen.

How is it? I know approximately nothing about the game other than that I heard of it once, read a bit about it, thought it was neat enough to put on my Steam wishlist, and promptly forgot most of what I'd read.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

FlocksOfMice posted:

Can you unironically name a game that has what 20 years of modded Morrowind has that isn't like, Kenshi?

Check out Dread Delusion on Steam.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Vavrek posted:

You know, I'd heard of Kenshi, but that might be the most compelling recommendation of it I've seen.

How is it? I know approximately nothing about the game other than that I heard of it once, read a bit about it, thought it was neat enough to put on my Steam wishlist, and promptly forgot most of what I'd read.

When Morrowind came out, it literally changed my interaction with video games. I'm probably some flavor of autistic and I used to play video games kind of in parallel, playing them for a short bit and then getting bored and just kind of daydreaming out the rest? I mostly stuck to tabletop games because it was the only kind of play that wasn't so restrictive. RPGs were decent, Ultima 4 gave me the first taste of an actual free-roaming thing, Ultima 9 was the first game that really gave me a "no, hey here's a world that's yours inhabit it and have fun."

Morrowind blew my mind because it was finally a game went "yeah we have a story we have dozens of stories but they're just puzzle pieces to make your own story with, go nuts," and I got wildly obsessed with it as a tiny child because oh wow. When Oblivion came out it didn't have nearly as many puzzle pieces and Skyrim is just kind of a weird loot-shooter with no real loot and no good shooting.

Like I've enjoyed other games I'll play co-op games I've put tons of hours into dark souls I enjoy other kinds of enrichment but I have like literally uncountable hours in Morrowind and nothing ever really scratched the itch until Kenshi. Basically every game but Morrowind has been a toy and while I've enjoyed those toys none of them have felt like Morrowind did--but oh MAN does Kenshi come CLOSE to capturing the magic that Morrowind has?

it is another entirely bizarre loving weird alien world with its own context and rules and while it very much feels like a tiny indie game made by one guy and has a real hard lack of content and meaningful reasons to explore the world beyond seeing new stuff (there isn't like, a TON of special things to find in other locations all the ruins are the same building and use the same loot tables there's a handful of unique encounters and that's it) but what Kenshi does offer is the ability to take a bunch of assholes and come up with a story about them and it does nothing whatsoever to get in the way of you making up your own dollhouse story.

These assholes escaped from the dogmatic religious nation and formed a ninja polycule in a forest that sees acid rain half the year and then when they settled down from adventuring, they trained up another generation of adventuring assholes from level 1 who went around and fought evil but equipped with the weapons made in their secret forest forge.

This rear end in a top hat's friend lost all their limbs to cannibals and now they're on a world-spanning journey to find a place to call home and they ended up living next to the cannibal peninsula and it's fine, they've made an indestructible fortress out of slave labor of captured cannibals because violence changes a person.

This lost drone from a colony of ant-like clay-shark-looking-guys decided to become the new hive mother and started adopting other lost drones and now they live in the foglands rescuing the outcasts of the hive from being devoured by monsters and bringing them up above the fog to their hidden farming town, where they've recently become a top supplier of another hidden fog-city and make bank selling rare alchohol grown only in their mysterious plateau.

It has a ton of mods that don't give it nearly what Morrowind has, but you very literally can be a bunch of merchants wandering the world buying and selling and with mods to exaggerate it different regions do have different values for goods so you can learn actual traderoutes and make bank. Like everyone's like "you can play whatever you want" but Kenshi is one of the few games where you can both be an adventuring rear end in a top hat and literally just a merchant with a traderoute. You can set up a shop in town and put things on sale and without mods it doesn't work as well but with mods you can literally have a few characters dedicated to running a shop in town and have a small town of your own dedicated to providing for it and sometimes you get visitors to your own hand-built town who will buy things too. That's just, that's just like one mechanic it's great. You can build your own town you build your own everything with the right mods you convert prisoners into friends I've had an arch-enemy in the game who was raiding us who I captured and eventually befriended and turned into a central member of my empire it's good.

Kenshi isn't the perfect game, but it's an attempt at being the ideal game, and I got my ~1000 hours out of it and I still haven't seen everything in it. If you like Morrowind because Morrowind lets you play a single-player tabletop campaign, then Kenshi will also do that.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Check out Dread Delusion on Steam.

Will do, thank you!

FlocksOfMice fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jul 11, 2022

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Vavrek posted:

Kenshi is a deeply impressive game with a great world but is fundamentally not very enjoyable or pleasant to actually play on a moment by moment basis. I mean, arguably neither is Morrowind, but in Kenshi it's more things like "the combat is squad based but you can't highlight characters or enemies so you have to zoom in really close to the muddy ground textures to try to find the body of the one bandit out of 50 that happened to be the leader so you can bring the right corpse back for the bounty".

It's absolutely worth playing but the fact that it's an automation/management game in disguise coupled with the fact that there's no real reason or incentive to do anything at all made it not really for me. I like being on my own devices but I do need some motivation.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

maybe for you, but I'm 1000 hours deep in kenshi and I still love micromanaging my little homies.

the RPS shotgun review of Kenshi is great

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Babe Magnet posted:

maybe for you, but I'm 1000 hours deep in kenshi and I still love micromanaging my little homies.

the RPS shotgun review of Kenshi is great

Yeah I can absolutely see why a lot of people love it, hence my very qualified post. It's a taste that's not for everyone and it's also not necessarily the type of game that it seems from initial impressions.

I was actually hoping the RPG coating would ease me into enjoying the management aspect more since it's a genre I've always wanted to like more than I do, but after a couple of dozen hours of taking turns letting bandits beat my guys up to increase their defence, organising automated mining routes and trying to lure frogman into town so I could chop their heads off (necessitating painstakingly mousing over 50 muddy, indistinct bodies to find the body of a frog Prince with said valuable head) and checking in on my B team running a clothes manufacturing operation back at the Hub, I realised it just wasn't really for me.

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
Tamriel Rebuilt's looking so loving good. I might have to jump in after this update.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

this new update completely redoes the ancient map1 imperial city and quests, and then adds an entire two regions to the west. it's the largest TR update ever, and i'm hyped as hell

also when its released, tr will have more quests than vanilla morrowind + expansions

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I keep meaning to play TR. I've asked before if it has a "main quest" and it doesn't, so I'm thinking of really embracing the nature of TR end playing, say, a bard, scholar, or other wanderer and just touring the length and breadth and meeting whatever adventure finds me.

But another thought came to me, is there any sort of home buying or strong hold construction available either in TR natively or with an additional mod?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

I keep meaning to play TR. I've asked before if it has a "main quest" and it doesn't, so I'm thinking of really embracing the nature of TR end playing, say, a bard, scholar, or other wanderer and just touring the length and breadth and meeting whatever adventure finds me.

But another thought came to me, is there any sort of home buying or strong hold construction available either in TR natively or with an additional mod?

not that i know of. there's been recent talk of adding some explicit space for house mods. TR will never have home buying, but it will have indoril/dres/mainland redoran strongholds, as well as potentially legion housing.

alternatively, one of the early old ebonheart fighters guild quests gives you an abandoned house

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

mbt posted:

alternatively, one of the early old ebonheart fighters guild quests gives you an abandoned house

That'll be just fine; the containers are safe right?

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
One of my greatest runs was a nord bookseller who bravely strode forth and got murdered by nix hounds. The npc classes are pretty alright.

Goal: get rich, get one of every book
Result: disembowled

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

SniperWoreConverse posted:

One of my greatest runs was a nord bookseller who bravely strode forth and got murdered by nix hounds. The npc classes are pretty alright.

Goal: get rich, get one of every book
Result: disembowled

Oh that's *fantastic*, NPC class, NPC class based goal, absolutely no reloading saves or meta gaming, and see if you can do it.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

mbt posted:

Goddammit I spent so long finding a house that my lvl 1 low sneak character could break into in old ebonheart without getting caught.

:eng99:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

That'll be just fine; the containers are safe right?

unsafe containers are a bit of a boogeyman. the only unsafe containers are guild hall chests

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

mbt posted:

unsafe containers are a bit of a boogeyman. the only unsafe containers are guild hall chests

Cool, thanks. I get kind of confused switching between games. Like, I'm in a discord for the Wildlander Skyrim mod pack and in that game taking over a wilderness camp is a bad idea because its very inconsistent as to when the game will wipe the contents of the containers.