Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I have a room-temperature IQ, and I live in a high-tech post-scarcity society run by actual gods. I can drive flying motorcycles, and my weapon of choice is an armband that allows me to punch tanks apart. How do I make my armband even more powerful?

By stuffing it full of monster bile and a handful of parts left over from assembling my Ikea furniture, of course. :rolleyes:

(I thought this up after realizing that the upgrade system makes less sense than Fallout 3's repair system.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

I have a room-temperature IQ, and I live in a high-tech post-scarcity society run by actual gods. I can drive flying motorcycles, and my weapon of choice is an armband that allows me to punch tanks apart. How do I make my armband even more powerful?

By stuffing it full of monster bile and a handful of parts left over from assembling my Ikea furniture, of course. :rolleyes:

(I thought this up after realizing that the upgrade system makes less sense than Fallout 3's repair system.)

How is this different from any other upgrade system?

Like you add new traits to weapons in FFX just by shoving random poo poo into them. In FFIX you tape a hat and a braclet together to get a robe. To get the Bazzar in 12 to sell you a random-rear end sword you needed to sell metal ore and random monster flesh. In FF8 you make new weapons out of fish fins and spider-webs.

"Shove random poo poo into your thing to make it better, sometimes vaguely related to what you shove into it" is just how these things work in most Final Fantasy games.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Jul 8, 2022

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

How is this different from any other upgrade system?

Like you add new traits to weapons in FFX just by shoving random poo poo into them. In FFIX you tape a hat and a braclet together to get a robe. To get the Bazzar in 12 to sell you a random-rear end sword you needed to sell metal ore and random monster flesh. In FF8 you make new weapons out of fish fins and spider-webs.

"Shove random poo poo into your thing to make it better, sometimes vaguely related to what you shove into it" is just how these things work in most Final Fantasy games.

I'm not sure, it just seems way sillier than FFX's. I think it might be because "use three of these rare ingredients to add a new capability to your weapon" or "construct a new weapon using these rare parts" seems a little less ridiculous than "use alternating huge stacks of ingredients to make your weapon stronger", combined with the silliness of a high-tech weapon being upgraded with bile and fiberoptic cable.

NikkolasKing posted:

Birds and circuses.

:frogout:

Inspector Gesicht posted:

^^^: gently caress, really? Libra is meant to work outside that separate screen?

Without FF13Fix (a very simple mod I recommended to you way back) the "Notes" part of the Libra screen doesn't show up at 1080p, it's a known bug. It makes the Eidolon fights really hard if you don't already know how to beat them.

In fact, if you're not using Libra often, then your party will fight worse - the weaknesses and immunities displayed there are what your party knows, and they'll do ineffective poo poo for a bit before they figure it out on their own (which also fills out the screen.)

Shiva in XIII feels incredibly tasteless and stupid, speaking as a player who never bats an eye at Yakuza.

What, you don't like the Lesbian Motorcycle?

Was there any reason why this installment had no Wait option unlike all the previous ATB games?

As others have said, FFXIII is a twitch game - the timing of doing stuff is almost at a rhythm game level. FFXIII is in no way flawless, but honestly it seems like you're refusing to even meet the game halfway with what it's asking of you. Honestly,

mandatory lesbian posted:

Tbh i think you just might be dumb

Agents are GO! fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 8, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's basically the same logic as any other. "Biological components from monsters have special effects, metal/ore/machine parts form the basis of the weapon." Pretty much every FF game runs on the logic that monsters are explicitly special and their parts are responsible for a good chunk of the magic and poo poo.

FF13's weapon upgrade system is incredibly convoluted but the idea behind it is that you're using gathered monster parts and then building you weapon around whatever they are. It's needlessly convoluted because there are different 'effective' materials for different items so not everything has the same value but JRPGs and Needlessly Convoluted Weapon Systems refuse to part. The upgrades that are most effective usually have something to do with the item being upgraded.

(I'm not going to defend FF13's specific method of upgrades but I am fond of its "every weapon can remain viable" design, though FF7R executed that MUCH better.)

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I'm not attacking it, I just think it's funny. It works fine for what it is, I just generally don't engage with it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm not attacking it, I just think it's funny. It works fine for what it is, I just generally don't engage with it.

I misread the tone then! I apologize.

Also in FFX-2 news I forgot just how loving terrible a character Brother is. Just... so bad.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

Also in FFX-2 news I forgot just how loving terrible a character Brother is. Just... so bad.

Yeah, he's super obnoxious. I liked him better in FFX where you couldn't understand him.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

At least the rest of the cast agrees

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Who's going to defend the Eidolon fights?

I like a puzzle boss, but I can't be expected to solve a Rubik's cube at gunpoint.

Was there any reason why this installment had no Wait option unlike all the previous ATB games?

If you use libra it pauses the game and tells you exactly what you have to do to win. The only one that's any difficult is the hecatoncheir one because they reset your party and paradigm sets right before it and the sets they give you are barely able to scrape by through it. The rest can be easily done first try by just...looking at the info the game gives you and having a half-decent spread of Paradigms set up.

And it had no wait option because it's meant to be a game where you hit hard and go fast and master the system to keep up constant unending pressure, so making combat constantly pause because you constantly hit an atb threshold would kill all of that momentum the combat system is built around.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jul 9, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the odin fight was also a hassle because it's one of the few (the only?) where the party's random positioning can actually screw them over

since lightning and hope are about as sturdy as kleenex at that point it's easy for them both to get pasted if they're too close to one another

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

the odin fight was also a hassle because it's one of the few (the only?) where the party's random positioning can actually screw them over

since lightning and hope are about as sturdy as kleenex at that point it's easy for them both to get pasted if they're too close to one another

That one you at least have double Medic IIRC which is a one second full party heal you can hot swap out of.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I myself am pretty torn between “the final boss being able to cast death on the party leader is insanely unfair bullshit and absolutely awful game design” and “but it’s funny”

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Augus posted:

I myself am pretty torn between “the final boss being able to cast death on the party leader is insanely unfair bullshit and absolutely awful game design” and “but it’s funny”

It was annoying, but also if he doesn't insta-gib your party leader he's super easy. Cast Poison, switch to a triple Medic paradigm, wait. I do not think the death thing is good design, though. I guess there are some items you can use to make the chance really, really low, but still don't like it.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jul 9, 2022

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Had production not been so scattershot, I'm sure there would have been a more elegant way to escape from fights

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I have murdered so many Quadav and still only have 3 of the 4 drops I need for this mission.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

This whole discussion is making me want to play FFXIII again, which I find extremely annoying, I have enough games to play

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

Fun fact:

The boss is also vulnerable to Death when staggered. It was an intentional homage to the good ol' Chainsaw God thing.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Day 4 FFXI: I grabbed Mission 1-3. I killed 150 Quadav, went from like level 18-24, and still only have 3 out of the four drops I need. :negative:

Perhaps the RNG will think better of me tomorrow.

EDIT: I'll also check my inventory just to make sure but I am 100% sure I did not get the fourth item

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 9, 2022

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I also find it amusing that XIII has a map function, which is only relevant in one chapter out of thirteen.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I also find it amusing that XIII has a map function, which is only relevant in one chapter out of thirteen.

Eh it shows you a couple of side branches which can be helpful since you often traverse to those via crazy jumps so you wouldn't know they were there visually otherwise

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Barudak posted:

Eh it shows you a couple of side branches which can be helpful since you often traverse to those via crazy jumps so you wouldn't know they were there visually otherwise

This somehow makes it worse, a game where the map is 99% useless and yet you still find yourself checking it constantly for side passages which are often too obscure/part of the background to notice

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

"Horny for half sister" was a bold characterization choice. A very bad one, but a bold one nevertheless

Did the joke work better in Japanese or something? It's such a weird choice, and aside from that I really like the writing in like 95% of the rest of the game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

This somehow makes it worse, a game where the map is 99% useless and yet you still find yourself checking it constantly for side passages which are often too obscure/part of the background to notice

I mean, its to me the same as hidden passages in the 2d FF games, just modified for a 3d world

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

There are an awful lot of Galka with lore-appropriate names running around Gustaburg, and they're all Monks. I assume they're gil farmers? Just weird that they all have actual names instead of "Abbbbaccccwwww" or whatever. Also I got tired of waiting for the arms to drop so I just bought them for 30K off the AH, lmao. Discovered via google there's a shield you can buy with Sparks that vendors for like 26K

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yo why are summons living in materia in FF7? I feel like most of the other games have an in-universe reason for these God-like beings to be at your beck and call but in 7 they just live in little balls that are lying around? Were they put in there at some point like Pokemon or are they naturally occurring?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

stev posted:

Yo why are summons living in materia in FF7? I feel like most of the other games have an in-universe reason for these God-like beings to be at your beck and call but in 7 they just live in little balls that are lying around? Were they put in there at some point like Pokemon or are they naturally occurring?
The summons don't live in the materia. The knowledge to call forth these mythic beings lives in the materia.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
materia are cellphones with God in their saved contacts

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I wouldn't simply not be driven insane by a game function and just play the game.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

zedprime posted:

The summons don't live in the materia. The knowledge to call forth these mythic beings lives in the materia.

:psyduck: Does the game say that? Is that how the spells work too?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

stev posted:

Idk about summons specifically but materia as a whole are supposed to be leftover fragments of the Ancients’ knowledge, or at least someone at some point throws it out there as a theory ingame. At least iirc.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

stev posted:

the original game gives a more detailed breakdown of how materia work in a sequence shortly after leaving midgar. basically all spells originate from the planet itself and materia are crystallized fragments of the planet's essence that let the user commune with it and draw that power out

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Why does materia shrink from apple-size to marble-size when you stick it in your weapon?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mymla posted:

Why does materia shrink from apple-size to marble-size when you stick it in your weapon?

You only see the top part of it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
and why can summons blow up cities in cutscenes but do like 3000 damage in battle??? what were they THINKING

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

jokes posted:

You only see the top part of it

In that case I'm very interested in what's going on here:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Materia is compressed planet poo gas you can just squeeze it smaller.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Mymla posted:

Tifa has strange hands

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Agents are GO! posted:

I'm beginning to think I'm weird :ohdear:: I've liked every single FF game I've played*, at worst I'm only lukewarm on 2. My problem with XIII is that they created this really interesting world and society and then won't let me interact with it.

The mobile non-PR version of FF2 was perfectly ok, better than FF3DS at least. FF2PR is honestly a step backwards since even if they've fixed the bugs that made the PR version harder (status effects always hitting you and status immunity didn't work for the party?), it's still missing additional content that let you get some stuff like Osmose books without an insane hellgrind and it removed the ability to kick the Emperor's rear end in heaven too.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

The mobile non-PR version of FF2 was perfectly ok, better than FF3DS at least. FF2PR is honestly a step backwards since even if they've fixed the bugs that made the PR version harder (status effects always hitting you and status immunity didn't work for the party?), it's still missing additional content that let you get some stuff like Osmose books without an insane hellgrind and it removed the ability to kick the Emperor's rear end in heaven too.

Yeah I still say GBA 1 and 2 are the best versions of themselves. Probably 4 to with the caveat you're emulating and not getting the weird slowdown and hitching it had sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Mymla posted:

that's not materia its infinity stones