Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
I see red state ryan from Funhaus getting his music signal boosted by Tractor Goth *tm*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Motto posted:

At least with popular ones I assume they're coming out positive with stream donations. I don't watch those but pat did some scumlord lootbox streams where the whole bit was people egging him on with money.

At least one of the Pat streams was on accident because he let his personal mind goblins talk him into what a great deal some Warframe coupon was. And it did lead to a surreal half-trolling bit with his then-girlfriend-now-wife showing up in his twitch chat to call him an idiot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JuofwKWpoLQ

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Allegedly if you're self-employed as a streamer you can write off gatcha money sinks as business expenses.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

ol yeller posted:

Phil's new Level 1 Podcast. Great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfICr29u8q0

I can fix him

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

John Murdoch posted:

Allegedly if you're self-employed as a streamer you can write off gatcha money sinks as business expenses.

Probably not so much if you do it all offscreen to hide it from the world though.
"But he didnt get caught yet, so clearly he didnt do it."

I do wonder if this could work for LPers like Asmongold who spent money on that garbage Diablo Gacha game just to prove how expensive it is.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

bobjr posted:

I’m hoping these aren’t people throwing a ton of money down the drain for views to the point where it’s really hurting their finances

abandon all hope, ye who enter here

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Short video essay on how Independence Day had to partially reshoot its climax, because the original plan was too stupid even for that movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pyV9V3FBsw

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

ol yeller posted:

Phil's new Level 1 Podcast. Great stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EfICr29u8q0

how come he doesn't use his debt money to buy a decent camera

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

DeafNote posted:

I do wonder if this could work for LPers like Asmongold who spent money on that garbage Diablo Gacha game just to prove how expensive it is.

That's the exact context where I heard it brought up recently.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
Also ever since I found this channel I am hooked on videos like this

https://www.youtube.com/c/yovo68
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxVQ7ZEG1RU

There is something so beautifully dumb about the way trucks peel when crashing into a bridge.

(Nobody gets injured either, which is as far as I am willing to go)

DeafNote fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Jul 9, 2022

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Suede, mad lad done bad by the man, has decided gently caress it I’m redoing the entire Pokémon thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1An5W-VAz7k

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Someone elaborate on why they hate Gunnerkrigg Court now.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ague Proof posted:

It's a mix of things. Coyote is currently dead, and replaced with Loup who doesn't have the restraint of Coyote so he's just kind of a crazy rear end in a top hat. Folks don't find him nearly as interesting, which is true but I think the bigger problem with Loup is just that he's as powerful as Coyote was, but he's a crazy unhinged lunatic so it really doesn't make sense why he isn't just laying waste to everything. It's kind of the Deathwing problem for me. I don't hate him though. There was a weird situation with a girl and some elf boys, and Loup disguised as a robot coming in and saving her. A big problem, as someone who still thinks the comic is okay, is that the pacing is all out of wack. The double Antimony story got resolved way too quickly and with basically no fanfare, Loup managed to get past the barrier but then just... stopped. For some reason, and it kind of feels like everyone is dragging their feet. But then at the same time, Loup just showed up and burned Renard's original body and it happens so quickly and then it's done.

Really the biggest problem for me is the Deathwing thing like I mentioned. There's really no reason he shouldn't be just destroying everything and instead he's doing this weird espionage thing

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Ague Proof posted:

The comic itself is in a weird state where it seems to be tying a lot of loose ends up in abrupt ways or using unnatural or offscreen exposition to hurry stuff along so it all feels a bit weightless and artificial. There’s some other strange or uncomfortable writing choices and such, too, so more people are expressing frustration or disappointment in the thread.

This is in contrast to years ago when you couldn’t post anything vaguely negative about the comic without getting very aggressive angry responses anywhere in BSS, so clearly people who are/were fans and are disappointed with the current state of the comic are planning to murder and skin its creator like a deer.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ague Proof posted:

There was a year or so where Annie had a doppelgänger that had not gone to live in the forest like she had, and people liked the dynamic of the two twins. But in one chapter the two were merged together without much explanation (implying I guess that it was more of a split person than double). The issue was basically magicked away. Some really didn’t want the second Annie to go away and were turned away by the sudden ghosting.

The very next chapter did not give explanation for the merger but instead had Annie defending her deadbeat dad, a character the thread despises, so people really hated it. Her dad has generally been cold to her, at times controlling and harsh, some might say emotionally abusive, and so they can’t deal with a child character standing by their dad instead of acknowledging it’s a raw deal. This is when some people started to psychoanalyze the creator and say this is some sort of allegory of his own relationship with his dad.

Ever since then they’ve turned on the comic. The storytelling and art quality haven’t really changed, they just can’t enjoy it anymore, so they pick every strip apart. It’s not that there haven’t been missteps (the alley scene with the elves was not good), but for a number of people in there it’s become a hateread like Questionable Content or Dominic Deegan. There are a couple of people who are still enjoying it in there but more that get annoyed with every new development.

I’m actually kind of surprised there isn’t a notable YouTube content creator that covers webcomics. When am I gonna get a “Octopus Pie is good and here’s why” 3 hour essay??

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jul 9, 2022

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
Ok now I'm interested in what happened with the elves.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ague Proof posted:

They got handsy with this teenage girl who is depicted as naive and not knowing any better, and the strip’s current villain, incognito, scared them off, which upsets her because she was enjoying the attention. Some people thought it was classist, some people thought it was sexist, most thought it was cliche in a way that the comic usually subverts or avoids. Some thought it was approaching sexual assault, which I do not think Tom would put in a YA webcomic, but that’s just me.

What people dislike the most is the stuff that hews closest to YA conventions. The children being smarter than the adults, for example, or forced love triangles, or damseling. There are also plot threads that are really more like plot plates being kept spinning, and so everyone expects plot points to abruptly fall and crash. It’s not 100% fair but since nobody knows where the comic is going, some people don’t want to leg it out to see what ends up paying off, and most don’t trust any plot point to be resolved satisfactorily again.

The earliest point of discontentment I think stemmed from Kat’s existential crisis being resolved in a supernatural and yet at the same time mundane way. That was I think two years ago? It started a pattern of people not enjoying how plots/arcs were being resolved or concluded. The double Annie resolution just happened to be the most jarring because it was like *finger snap* fixed.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Jul 9, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The 7th Guest posted:

There was a year or so where Annie had a doppelgänger that had not gone to live in the forest like she had, and people liked the dynamic of the two twins. But in one chapter the two were merged together without much explanation (implying I guess that it was more of a split person than double). The issue was basically magicked away. Some really didn’t want the second Annie to go away and were turned away by the sudden ghosting.

The very next chapter did not give explanation for the merger but instead had Annie defending her deadbeat dad, a character the thread despises, so people really hated it. Her dad has generally been cold to her, at times controlling and harsh, some might say emotionally abusive, and so they can’t deal with a child character standing by their dad instead of acknowledging it’s a raw deal. This is when some people started to psychoanalyze the creator and say this is some sort of allegory of his own relationship with his dad.

Ever since then they’ve turned on the comic. The storytelling and art quality haven’t really changed, they just can’t enjoy it anymore, so they pick every strip apart. It’s not that there haven’t been missteps (the alley scene with the elves was not good), but for a number of people in there it’s become a hateread like Questionable Content or Dominic Deegan. There are a couple of people who are still enjoying it in there but more that get annoyed with every new development.

I’m actually kind of surprised there isn’t a notable YouTube content creator that covers webcomics. When am I gonna get a “Octopus Pie is good and here’s why” 3 hour essay??

I do think there's a big split on exactly how people respond to the way Annie's dad has treated her, abandoned her, almost accidentally killed her in some magical black hole depression ritual, etc. And people have divided feelings on how other characters in the comic respond to Tony. And this creates the biggest fissure in opinions on the comic.

People keep saying that Tom straight up said Tony is modeled on Tom's father in some annotated video of a chapter. I'm not interested in diving into those videos to see where that's mentioned, but if that's not true it'd be nice if someone pointed it out.

In any case, I don't see the thread actually turning into a mockthread. It's barely getting any posts right now anyway. It'd be like saying Paranatural's thread is going to turn into a mockthread any day now. It's sad to see a discussion thread peter out because nobody's as excited to make the same jokes about Boxbot and everyone being Eglamore in it anymore but it seems like it's destined for a more banal death over anything else.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Ague Proof posted:

https://www.gunnerkrigg.com/?p=2585

The Controversial Elf Storyline starts here if you are interested.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I like to talk about webcomics because they’re fascinating from an indie perspective. The medium’s rise, the major ad money crash, the attempt by DC and Marvel to take over the space, and the new generation not even knowing the concept of webcomics outside of Webtoon and Tapas.

Like webcomics as an era are a specifically millennial thing and the Gen Z idea of an online comic is completely different. The way to make a living has changed, cons have changed, delivery formats have changed, and how fandoms are built is entirely unlike how it was in the 2000s. There probably are zoomers that know webcomics outside of Webtoon and Tapas, but for the most part, those platforms have really come to dominate, and the concept of comics on their own site has dwindled over the past decade. They still exist of course, it's just as more self-published webcomics end, fewer are springing up in the old school way of having a dot com and a personal website with a blog section, and more are just joining one of the centralized comic apps.

I’m just not that into talking about them on SA because webcomic threads here have always been too jaded (and I used to be that way too until I mellowed out in my late 20s). Like 10-15 years ago a number of cartoonists posted on SA but all of them left one after the other as webcomic discussion trended towards just dunking on ‘bad comics’. Tom used to post on SA, KC Green, Rene Engstrom, Meredith Gran, Daisy McGuire, Spike Trotman (granted, they were also YOUNGER and had more time on their hands and so, obviously that changes too). there was a brief time where Kate Beaton signed up and immediately a goon bought an ad banner to propose to her. The vibes just got worse over time until they all cleared out. I think now the webcomics thread in BSS is more chill (and the BYOB thread even chiller) but for a chunk of years, it was pretty toxic. Like, 'doxxing Andrew Dobson and justifying it because we don't like him' toxic. Like, 'the main advice giver in the "young cartoonist" thread in CC told people to find a vulnerable artist and underpay them with Chilis gift cards to get art for super cheap' toxic.

(e: also I'm realizing that just describing plot elements in a webcomic people don't follow might sound insane, that's why I left out some specific details in my GC posts, like Kat's problem being solved by Norns and time travel)

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 9, 2022

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Hark! A Vagrant mural here in Halifax got painted over a few years ago, that sucked

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

All I'm hearing is that I made the right choice to just no longer follow GC a decade ago, but yeah that era of webcomics really doesn't exist anymore, though recently finding my internet bookmark file from 2005 to 2010 did show that I had a lot of bad taste in webcomics as a teen.

The 7th Guest posted:

there was a brief time where Kate Beaton signed up and immediately a goon bought an ad banner to propose to her.

IIRC she has repeatedly said this wasn't the thing that made her leave, she just found SA boring.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

You're not wrong, I just still think it's ridiculously pathetic that a goon did that, so I will bring it up every time. some people could not just be chill.

anyway Kate's doing fine she has a cartoon based on her fat pony book on Apple TV, it's a cute cartoon if you have the service and you have kids

Meredith Gran has a game now on Steam (Perfect Tides) and it is basically her same high level storytelling in Sierra adventure form

KC Green's syndicated now with 'funny cartoon animals'

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Jul 9, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Hel posted:

All I'm hearing is that I made the right choice to just no longer follow GC a decade ago, but yeah that era of webcomics really doesn't exist anymore, though recently finding my internet bookmark file from 2005 to 2010 did show that I had a lot of bad taste in webcomics as a teen.

The one that sticks with me is Questionable Content which continues on like, as has been said by those more clever than I, a hipster Garfield. You read it everyday, maybe giving a vaguely amused "Hmph," then continuing on without it taking up residence in your brain until you remember to read it again.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The 7th Guest posted:

It’s not 100% fair but since nobody knows where the comic is going, some people don’t want to leg it out to see what ends up paying off, and most don’t trust any plot point to be resolved satisfactorily again.

I don't really want to go into the YA thing again but like, "trust the plan" has been the thing people keep saying about Gunnerkrigg to every plot beat people are conflicted on for like 15 years now. I don't think you can act surprised if people start feeling a bit like something isn't going to pay off but keep on reading it anyway if that's going to be the single refrain over and over.

The 7th Guest posted:

I like to talk about webcomics because they’re fascinating from an indie perspective. The medium’s rise, and major ad money crash, the attempt by DC and Marvel to take over the space, and the new generation not even knowing the concept of webcomics outside of Webtoon and Tapas.

Like webcomics as an era are a specifically millennial thing and the Gen Z idea of an online comic is completely different. The way to make a living has changed, cons have changed, delivery formats have changed, and how fandoms are built is entirely unlike how it was in the 2000s.

There's always been a split between conceptions of comics between webcomic readers and mainstream comic readers. There's almost no overlap in who discusses things in the webcomic threads in BSS, Marvel/DC stuff, indie-ish things like Image/Boom/Dark Horse, or European comics or anything. There's a larger overlap with manga, probably because it's easier to read that stuff online for free, but even that's not 1:1. Like just mildly picking on Gunnerkrigg some more, people gushed about the art and when it would go into more abstract panel layouts like it was the only comic in existence with such stylish art. And I'm sure to a lot of people it was. Because they only read webcomics where that was just not a common thing because most webcomics aren't as polished, or for most of GC's time around were aping newspaper strips and rigidly committed to that panel layout.

The 7th Guest posted:

I’m just not that into talking about them on SA because webcomic threads here have always been too jaded (and I used to be that way too until I mellowed out in my late 20s). Like 10-15 years ago a number of cartoonists posted on SA but all of them left one after the other as webcomic discussion trended towards just dunking on ‘bad comics’. Tom used to post on SA, KC Green, Rene Engstrom, Meredith Gran, Daisy McGuire, Spike Trotman. there was a brief time where Kate Beaton signed up and immediately a goon bought an ad banner to propose to her. The vibes just got worse over time until they all cleared out. I think now the webcomics thread in BSS is more chill but for a chunk of years, it was pretty toxic.

Meredith Gran posted like a month or two ago, actually. And Kate Beaton has repeatedly said she wasn't "chased off" SA and at this point finds SA posters approaching her at cons and apologizing for her leaving the forums more annoying than anything that happened at the time.

If we're getting meditative about what's lead to changes in who participates in the threads, I'd say there were a couple big factors aside from "everyone started being adults with adult obligations and didn't want to poo poo around on a forum anymore." The webcomic threads did originally kind of behave like those old John Solomon posts, where they'd pick on lovely comics or mock creators who showed up and tried to show off a kind of lovely one, but that chilled out like before I even registered on the forum. The BSS webcomic threads were pretty normal threads for a while, people would post stuff and discuss or argue about things.

The "Making Comics" portion of the discussion got split off into its own thread, so the people actually making comics migrated over to the Creative Convention subforum. It's still there and barely active, like most of CC because it's a small, obscure forum people barely browse.

GBS 2.0 happened and the thread got overrun by people shitposting "lol if you care about webcomic" type poo poo for a while until the CCCC thread mellowed out. But people would fuss about any webcomic getting more than a page of discussion or having any mildly fractious discussion, so more people would post in the CCCC thread where that stuff wasn't a big deal. It just kind of lead to the BSS thread not getting much in the way of posts at all.

Now... idk I think it's more active than it's been in a while, but it definitely comes and goes in cycles. People still post in the BSS thread sometimes to promote or discuss their comics. The slow death of internet forums certainly isn't helping.

The 7th Guest posted:

Like, 'the main advice giver in the "young cartoonist" thread in CC told people to find a vulnerable artist and underpay them with Chilis gift cards to get art for super cheap' toxic.

lmao that didn't happen. Everyone hated Kazerad in the CC thread. That wast the entire reason the Chili's gift card thing became a meme. They were mocking him for telling that story. He suggested asking friends to contribute to projects and gave an example where a friend helped him out and refused to be paid except in a Chili's giftcard.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jul 9, 2022

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Dawgstar posted:

The one that sticks with me is Questionable Content which continues on like, as has been said by those more clever than I, a hipster Garfield. You read it everyday, maybe giving a vaguely amused "Hmph," then continuing on without it taking up residence in your brain until you remember to read it again.

Yeah, that's pretty much why I stopped reading , it didn't actually give me anything of value, even for the minute a day it took to load up the site and read. That's pretty much how I stopped reading most of them, even free and quick it wasn't worth it. The only webcomics I read are Oglaf and Three Panel Soul , yet for some reason I keep up with the Comic Strip Megathread religiously.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Nuns with Guns posted:

There's always been a split between conceptions of comics between webcomic readers and mainstream comic readers. There's almost no overlap in who discusses things in the webcomic threads in BSS, Marvel/DC stuff, indie-ish things like Image/Boom/Dark Horse, or European comics or anything. There's a larger overlap with manga, probably because it's easier to read that stuff online for free, but even that's not 1:1. Like just mildly picking on Gunnerkrigg some more, people gushed about the art and when it would go into more abstract panel layouts like it was the only comic in existence with such stylish. And I'm sure to a lot of people it was Because they only read webcomics where that was just not a common thing because most webcomics aren't as polished, or for most of GC's time around were aping newspaper strips and rigidly committed to that panel layout.
It's funny to think about this and then think about how people could not comprehend or despised the layouts in Dresden Codak. I mean, whether the comic is to your taste or not is purely subjective (I thought the art was beautiful but wasn't really invested in the story), but I think you're right, that most webcomic readers' standard was just, it's either 4 panels horizontally, 2 x 2, or 4 panels vertically.

quote:

Now... idk I think it's more active than it's been in a while, but it definitely comes and goes in cycles. People still post in the BSS thread sometimes to promote or discuss their comics. The slow death of internet forums certainly isn't helping.
Yeah, and I also think the app centralization of comics has played a role because new readers aren't looking for a web forum to talk about stuff in. Like, maybe they have a subreddit to do that in, but otherwise they can just leave a comment on the current page in Webtoon and move on. Developing a fandom for a new comic, I can't imagine what community building is even like at this point. I guess trying to corral people into a Discord, and following you on Twitter? We're a long way from the days of webrings, link exchanges, proboards, and artist swap days.

Nuns with Guns posted:

lmao that didn't happen. Everyone hated Kazerad in the CC thread. That wast the entire reason the Chili's gift card thing became a meme. They were mocking him for telling that story. He suggested asking friends to contribute to projects and gave an example where a friend helped him out and refused to be paid except in a Chili's giftcard.
that's good to hear. i was probably a part of the mockery at the time but it was so long ago that I must have misremembered part of it, he did Prequel right? the Homestuck-style comic? or am I thinking of someone else?

next year is my 20th year on the forums so there's definitely a bit of "did this happen 5 years ago or 10 years ago" going on for some of this stuff floating in my head. I think the worst period was around a decade+ ago when webcomic talk was mostly "look at this bad comic i found!". what I saw of the CCCC thread this year was pretty chill. i assume the most aggro people have either left the forums or are just in cspam now or something idk

e: I do distinctly remember Kazerad saying that you could underpay an artist with low self-worth, though, it wasn't just about collabing with friends. it may have been part of the same discussion or it may have been two separate instances of him giving bad advice. it was such a horrible piece of advice to give that it stuck with me for a long time, that someone could be that cruel and just burp that out like it was a normal thing to suggest. all these memories will be lost in time, like tears in rain

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 9, 2022

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The 7th Guest posted:

It's funny to think about this and then think about how people could not comprehend or despised the layouts in Dresden Codak. I mean, whether the comic is to your taste or not is purely subjective (I thought the art was beautiful but wasn't really invested in the story), but I think you're right, that most webcomic readers' standard was just, it's either 4 panels horizontally, 2 x 2, or 4 panels vertically.

Dresden was a mix of things, I think. Some of the early stuff did have panels that structurally didn't work with the experimental layout. Like the word balloon and panel placement didn't naturally pull your eye to the intended place. Unfortunately, that happens sometimes when you're being experimental. I do think Gunnerkrigg is good at consistently knowing how to structure nonstandard layouts in readable ways, so that's something great about it. I haven't read it in a long time, but Arryn's art was always improving, even if she wouldn't be honest and own up to the horny stuff, so I'm sure that's not an issue now.

The 7th Guest posted:

Yeah, and I also think the app centralization of comics has played a role because new readers aren't looking for a web forum to talk about stuff in. Like, maybe they have a subreddit to do that in, but otherwise they can just leave a comment on the current page in Webtoon and move on. Developing a fandom for a new comic, I can't imagine what community building is even like at this point. I guess trying to corral people into a Discord, and following you on Twitter? We're a long way from the days of webrings, link exchanges, proboards, and artist swap days.

This just came up in the BSS thread, actually. There's definitely a lot more noise and nonsense that makes it hard to stick out. Webtoon adds in the extra corporate scam we see over and over here in the youtube video thread, projecting the fantasy you can become a "professional content creator." When in reality it's an absurd pipe dream that takes decades of laboring in obscurity and a lot of luck to make a living off of.

The 7th Guest posted:

that's good to hear. i was probably a part of the mockery at the time but it was so long ago that I must have misremembered part of it, he did Prequel right? the Homestuck-style comic? or am I thinking of someone else?

Yeah that was him. Maybe I shouldn't have used his name because he probably still does namesearches or uses google notifications for when someone mentions him, but whatever. He was a creepy 4channer who dove headfirst into boosting gamergate, so I wouldn't put it past him to talk about cynically exploiting people who don't know any better multiple times in multiple ways.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i think it was also Webtoon that had an ad campaign recently that called indie comics "literature's side-hustle" which went over like a lead balloon

making GBS threads on comics is no longer fun for me (and hasn't been for a decade) but stupid poo poo like that? i love to clown on that. Tokyopop trying to do Rising Stars of Manga again? can't wait for that trainwreck!! why are they still extant? who knows!

e: this is now an opportunity for me to share Tokyopop's really bad reality show America's Greatest Otaku

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH2hK5IZ1Q6uVGO44q6KEm3Z84-Rxbns9

quote:

A reality show made by otaku for otaku, America's Greatest Otaku is a revealing eight-episode documentary series that searches the United States for the number one American otaku (uber-passionate fan of anime, manga, games, and Japanese pop culture). Each episode follows TOKYOPOP founder, entrepreneur, and filmmaker Stu Levy and his apprentices, the Otaku Six (six college students that are self-proclaimed die-hard otaku) as they travel across the country, visiting Otaku Hotspots (locations rich with otaku appeal) and searching for the one person who personifies what it means to be an otaku.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 9, 2022

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

I heard a rumor recently that number #1 Trump replyguy Jeff Tiedrich is Awkward Zombie creator Kate Tiedrich's father which if so, lol.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

The 7th Guest posted:

i think it was also Webtoon that had an ad campaign recently that called indie comics "literature's side-hustle" which went over like a lead balloon

making GBS threads on comics is no longer fun for me (and hasn't been for a decade) but stupid poo poo like that? i love to clown on that. Tokyopop trying to do Rising Stars of Manga again? can't wait for that trainwreck!! why are they still extant? who knows!

Yeah that just happened. Webtoon put out some flimsy apology and it won't face any consequences because like YouTube, it's become a platform too large to escape from for many people.

And another fun parallel is how webcomic creators are appealing because they're more accessible individuals you can @ on twitter and get a response from, but that also opens them up to being poo poo on by weirdos and harassed across platforms because they're so easily within reach.

... maybe the internet is bad?

The 7th Guest posted:

e: this is now an opportunity for me to share Tokyopop's really bad reality show America's Greatest Otaku

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH2hK5IZ1Q6uVGO44q6KEm3Z84-Rxbns9

Oh my god

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

The 7th Guest posted:

Since it's stalled out and I feel less concerned about someone stealing my GENIUS IDEA: the long Sinfest chronology and read-through from earlier this year made me try to set up similar projects as video essays but for comics which were more middle-tier and less overt meltdowns. I figured I'd do it as a kind of "remember the web comics of the 2000s" angle and hit up the ones who were still going, reached out to the creators on the pair I was starting with, who are active on social media... And got silence. It was a bit demotivating because I figured that was the interesting hook to work with, just being able to say "hey, what led to this art style shift in 2006? What did you pick up in 2014 that led to your schedule becoming way more consistent?" with a couple of specific questions, since it wasn't going to veer off into TERF town or drama by the end.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Famethrowa posted:

I heard a rumor recently that number #1 Trump replyguy Jeff Tiedrich is Awkward Zombie creator Kate Tiedrich's father which if so, lol.

not a rumor it's legitimate lol. definitely a 'huh, well, small world i guess' moment the first time it clicked for me but its been confirmed to be true

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Famethrowa posted:

Oy

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Mix. posted:

not a rumor it's legitimate lol. definitely a 'huh, well, small world i guess' moment the first time it clicked for me but its been confirmed to be true

The resemblance is clear.
What a fun dad.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
Great stuff from Phil and his new Level 1 podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GFo5KGX4Xc

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
webcomics are for rear end holes

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

ol yeller posted:

Great stuff from Phil and his new Level 1 podcast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GFo5KGX4Xc

Are you?

Are you an AI?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No they’re an JO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

DeafNote posted:

Are you?

Are you an AI?

He's messing with the thread to see if people will bait out any funny reactions like cum posting about wanting to gently caress the dog vtuber.