Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
I'm leery of the specifically Moonies association, in that it plays well as comedy to a western audience but it's also very convenient for the right-wing cause of "it's the Koreans' fault somehow".

The candidate Abe was appearing on short notice to support, while a member of the LDP, is also endorsed by their junior coalition partner, Komeito, which is the political offshoot of the very prominent (and very lawyered-up) evangelical Nichiren sect Soka Gakkai. For purposes of this being a public post with my name on it, I'm not going to speculate that it's them and the suspect's claimed motives are plausible, just point out that they're also a religious group that does not like to be named in the media and has a history of doing something about it, with close links to Abe, and a very plausible likelihood of having VIPs at the campaign event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/Byron_Wan/status/1545599816805191680

Turn up

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/eyrtxd/status/1545469386760208384?cxt=HHwWgICqkYKOzvIqAAAA

Lmfao

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

A Z cap you say

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

crepeface posted:

the boxer rebellion...

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

tazjin posted:

was it the president or prime minister that gave the "everything is hosed" speech recently?

edit: prime minister - https://twitter.com/RW_UNP/status/1526206615242043393

wickremasinghe is up to some poo poo, because he is always up to some poo poo, but has also correctly identified the lane that is most likely to keep him, personally, in power

at the moment that includes resigning in preparation for a new unity government

Ousting Gotobaya isn't sufficient, and arguably it wasn't even necessary, but I'm not gonna complain too hard about an apparently-grassrootsy revolt removing a president who Has Done hosed Up and is also not a very nice person. I did not expect his resignation to be as peaceful-ish not full of dead protesters as it appears to be. still three days left i guess

stephenthinkpad posted:

I wasn't paying attention to the Sri Lanka update because I assumed it's going to be a smaller scale of the Venezuela economic down turn, but god drat Sri Lanka people are hard core.

Sri Lanka needs foreign currency immediately, and a lot of it. There aren't really any non-terrible ways to resolve this barring it all being no-strings international aid, and SL can't really control whether or not they get that short of prostrating themselves and hoping for the best. If you import almost all your petroleum (and quite a lot of your fertilizer) and your foreign reserves run dry, you don't get any more of the thing that makes vehicles go or the thing that turns dirt into food.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sexpig by night posted:

holy poo poo my man was going to shoot up a cult HQ, saw the literal former PM of his nation giving a speech, and went 'eh, this is good too' and did a world shaking assassination. Absolute madlad poo poo.

lmfao holy gently caress thats some real franz ferdinand poo poo. taking a u-turn down the wrong street now worlds in (more) chaos

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Not So Fast posted:

Is there a reason this is a big deal?

I guess Moonies really hate bad press.

it's cool if you think about how historical circumstance conspired to kill Shinzo Abe in 2022 because Sun Myung Moon had a crazy thought in the 80s.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Ardennes posted:

Which scene does this looked like from the last 10 years?

thinking about the guy wearing ghaddafi's hat

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

stephenthinkpad posted:

If I am inside the presidential palace already, I would also swim in presidents pool, sleep on president's bed and use president's Q-tip (lol)

i would have put the underwear on over my pants and loudly declared myself to be the new president to all present

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
https://twitter.com/TF2Emporium/status/1545814113993080839?t=vNcGnk4HVsjE4P1EkeKRfA&s=19

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

the shortstop already existed

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Not a primary. Wasn't used to assassinate an ex PM.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
https://www.npr.org/2022/07/09/1110...xEE6I&fs=e&s=cl

apparently the shooter visited another city Abe was stumping at the day before so it’s possible picking Abe as a target wasn’t such a spur of the moment thing

who knows, I’m sure more info will shake out over the next few days

I didn’t know what the significance of the photo of Abe in a plane was so I had to look it up. holy poo poo

swimsuit
Jan 22, 2009

yeah

refused to apologise for the rave of nanjing

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Steve Yun posted:

I didn’t know what the significance of the photo of Abe in a plane was so I had to look it up. holy poo poo
idk so i'm gonna look it up

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
:stare:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Japan had their own mengele and this guy was doing wink wink photos about it

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

and people think musk is tony stark

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

PhilippAchtel posted:

Not just guys

:swoon:
She was released from prison a few weeks ago, and when I first heard Abe was shot, I entertained the idea that a frail 76-year-old might have gunned him down.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

idk so i'm gonna look it up

share with the class please

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

indigi posted:

The airplane is number 731. Unit 731 was a Japanese unit that infamously tortured Chinese civilians in the guise of "medical experiments".

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

indigi posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
oh.

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
Holy poo poo I didn't notice the number at all.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

GreyjoyBastard posted:

wickremasinghe is up to some poo poo, because he is always up to some poo poo, but has also correctly identified the lane that is most likely to keep him, personally, in power

Ousting Gotobaya isn't sufficient, and arguably it wasn't even necessary, but I'm not gonna complain too hard about an apparently-grassrootsy revolt removing a president who Has Done hosed Up and is also not a very nice person. I did not expect his resignation to be as peaceful-ish not full of dead protesters as it appears to be. still three days left i guess

Sri Lanka needs foreign currency immediately, and a lot of it. There aren't really any non-terrible ways to resolve this barring it all being no-strings international aid, and SL can't really control whether or not they get that short of prostrating themselves and hoping for the best. If you import almost all your petroleum (and quite a lot of your fertilizer) and your foreign reserves run dry, you don't get any more of the thing that makes vehicles go or the thing that turns dirt into food.

get out

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Spergin Morlock posted:

i would have put the underwear on over my pants and loudly declared myself to be the new president to all present

Juan Guaido, hello

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
looking more like he was targeting Abe for a while

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-...2J7Z0&fs=e&s=cl

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/FluorescentGrey/status/1545924502923534337

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
that kid is in an underground meme bunker. the room is fake!

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005
prc harnessing adorable child labor in their tiny kitchens, smdh

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

Chamale posted:

The airplane is number 731. Unit 731 was a Japanese unit that infamously tortured Chinese civilians in the guise of "medical experiments".

And then we gave them immunity and took their research to drop plague bombs in Korea. A very small number of Russian and American POWs had been tortured in 731 experiments, and the Soviets sentenced the 731 guys they got to the gulag. American survivors of 731 ended up having to petition congress for support in the 80s because they didn't get any military bennies from their long term injuries.

text editor
Jan 8, 2007

swimsuit posted:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dr. Jerrold Coe posted:

the Soviets sentenced the 731 guys they got to the gulag.

drat the soviets were loving merciful

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

swimsuit posted:

Abe to China:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkTt9k4Y-a8&t=138s

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

GreyjoyBastard posted:

Maybe he's off getting his dick+toes sucked on before he gets found and shoved into a wood chipper

slinkimalinki
Jan 17, 2010

Steve Yun posted:

looking more like he was targeting Abe for a while

https://www.reuters.com/world/asia-...2J7Z0&fs=e&s=cl

Lol at the reporting breathlessly talking about how he lived in an apartment building with hostess bars on the ground floor. So, like, a normal apartment building.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/winstonszeto/status/1545409644029349889

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

quote:

"It's really not possible for her to renew her Chinese passport either through the consulate or through a return to China," he said.

"It makes them quite aware of your presence … it often prompts an investigation of the person."

It seems like having an article published about you in national news might make the Chinese government aware of your presence :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You don't need to go in person to renew a passport you can do it through mail. :confused: