Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
Cal is also less than 48 ours out from his entire life being "Don't make waves, don't make noise, keep your head down and don't be seen", meaning that he's not showing much of anything yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Quem Deus Vult Perdere, Prius Dementat.
Cal's a bit of a mouth-breather though. Anybody noticed that? His mouth is slightly open in every single video. I can't unsee it.

On average, Star Wars video games have given us fairly interesting protagonists.

Dash Rendar (obviously he was going to make the list)
Kyle Katarn
Revan
The Exile
Starkiller

I think I'm missing someone, but that's off the top of my head.

Some of the supporting cast from those games were pretty good too. Kreia is at the top of the list (obviously), but HK-47, Canderous, Rahm Kota...

Maybe this group will get better as the game progresses. It's only just the start.

BD-1 is adorable though.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!

berryjon posted:

Cal is also less than 48 ours out from his entire life being "Don't make waves, don't make noise, keep your head down and don't be seen", meaning that he's not showing much of anything yet.

He's also coping through a huge amount of PTSD.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

SolarFire2 posted:

He's also coping through a huge amount of PTSD.

I found Cal to be a really good character. He's not the typical action romp PC, but he's well written for what he is.

He's also on his third "life as you know it changed forever", what with first, y'know, being taken from his family by a "facts over feelings" order of space monks, and then order 66'd into hiding when that order was murdered all over the place, presumably including a ton of kids his age that he knew and basically grew up with.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

We're going to spend some decent time on Kashyyyk and it's probably one of the more interesting planets from a design perspective if for no other reason than the amount of vegetation and mix of this sort of wild area with a very Star-Wars-Modern operation. This is also a planet I feel like they decided should be part of the game in production meetings and then had to justify. I don't think the Empire has a ton of use for wood, and extracting sap from the trees (which is usually the reason anyone fights over this planet in these games) generally doesn't require you cut them down and process the lumber. At the same time, the majority of what we're going through is described as either a lumber or prison camp. I think Respawn really wanted an excuse to have Wookies in the game and this is what they came up with.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Sundari Dawn's my go-to (in part because those were my high school's colors) but there's really a lot of good options for BD-1.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.
You know, seeing you fight that fauna reminded me - I was once attacked by a slug. As a kid, I was handling a slug (as you do) and I felt the faintest of rasps on my skin. Took me about ten seconds before I realized it was trying to bite me.

Had to let the thing go free after that - hard to no admire such audacity.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Visiting Kasshyyk in this game gave me a new respect for Wookiees. Growing up in such an environment with such insane wildlife would make anyone a badass.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Security droids are no joke.
Thouygh the second purge trooper can be force pushed off the cliff to his doom rather than fighting.

I at a bunch of deaths after the security droid fight and the loading screen after the prison does NOT like my computer.

You can totally set the spinny thing to jump over while it's not rotating. I was about to type how I missed a force power and accidentally sequence broke.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

achtungnight posted:

Visiting Kasshyyk in this game gave me a new respect for Wookiees. Growing up in such an environment with such insane wildlife would make anyone a badass.

I do appreciate that even after the switch to the new canon, everyone still agreed that "yeah, Kashyyyk still wants to murder anyone dumb enough to set foot on it."

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kashyyyk is alright, could use a few skunguses though.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Maybe the tree sap is where the Wookies are hiding the supply of "Y"s for the world. That many consecutive "Y"s in so many words is ridiculous.

Does any video game do Wookies right? Being furry creatures, they just don't look quite right. I'm re-watching the old Force Unleashed LP, and the Wookies look all wrong there too.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Good job finishing off Darth-ooD2.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

painedforever posted:

Maybe the tree sap is where the Wookies are hiding the supply of "Y"s for the world. That many consecutive "Y"s in so many words is ridiculous.

As it so happens, their homeworld has a limited supply of 'e's and they used it all up with the word 'Wookie', so yy was what they had to adopt as necessity.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
The architecture doesn't make much sense. Corridors are for people to walk through. Blocking them off with a wall of hoses, or sticking a giant spinning fan in the middle defeats the whole purpose. Also are there no stairs or ladders for the stormtroopers to use?

The sap is an explosive, and that's why it's stored in convenient red barrels, I'm sure.

I'll categorize the sap pit deaths as falls and the turbine as a hazard.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Jun 22, 2022

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

painedforever posted:

Does any video game do Wookies right? Being furry creatures, they just don't look quite right. I'm re-watching the old Force Unleashed LP, and the Wookies look all wrong there too.

I think here the Wookiees are supposed to look hosed up because they've been in prison for so long and haven't been able to like take a shower so their fur is all matted and greasy.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Bruceski posted:

Sundari Dawn

Sounds like a frozen juice drink.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

painedforever posted:

I would say, just be glad Star Wars largely holds off on throwing in apostrophes in names like a lot of Space Opera and Fantasy stuff does. That isn't to say the SW universe doesn't have some words/names that aren't rife with them (J't'p'tan) but I'll take multiple Ys in a row over that poo poo any day.

I think this game gets the closest to what Chewbacca looked like in ANH: Tall, lanky with some thick and long fur. Because he was also depicted as stupid strong as well there was a time where they were given a ton of mass that wasn't there originally. The KOTOR Wookies were crazy big and they were so large in Republic Commando you could send your team to take cover behind their bodies.

Then again, I also like the lanky wookie design overall. Making them super muscular just feels like you are trying to increase the perceived threat level they pose. In a game where they are subjugated by a bunch of guys who can't take out a single teenager it makes sense to slim them down so they seem less scary/powerful.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

The architecture doesn't make much sense. Corridors are for people to walk through. Blocking them off with a wall of hoses, or sticking a giant spinning fan in the middle defeats the whole purpose. Also are there no stairs or ladders for the stormtroopers to use?

I don't know what else you were expecting; Imperial architecture's first principle is to get as many people killed as possible, preferably through a lack of railings. Forcing maintenance staff to go through tight corridors and the like is pretty part for the course :v:

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

There was somewhere blocked off by a force power there, pull I think. What happens if you go back? The prison break is still going on somehow, or it's all empty because everyone went home.

I also enjoy how the overcharge animation is basically BD-1 sticking to a screen like a garfield suction cup doll.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

BD also comments if you murder Darth2d2 before you take out the troopers.

he is not impressed at you continuing the clone wars.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Well, that was an unexpected break.

I usually like to keep a couple weeks of backlog, two to four videos, in case something bizarre happens or I don't have time to record. I have that, I had that when I was supposed to post this video a full week ago, but then I forgot to upload it on Thursday, told myself I would just do it Friday and no one would notice a day slip and then on Friday I came home from my run to find a giant wet spot in the carpet under one of my AC vents. I'll spare everyone the whole story, (resolution below) but uploading and editing were the furthest thing from my mind as I spent all of Friday on the phone trying to get a plumber in to find the leak and the best I could do was get someone in on Monday. Hilariously, I recorded an episode on Saturday where the puzzles revolve around falling water frustrating Cal at every turn and it didn't dawn on me that I was upset because of that mechanic more than anything else while recording. I guess you can look forward to an extremely angry version of me telling a giant ball to suck my dick in the near future if nothing else.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those of you who care, the water problem is like a third resolved. The plumber who came in Monday refused to open up the ceiling to search out the leak, so I called a general contractor who sent another plumber over on Wednesday who seemed to lack any sort of fear and began to blindly cut into my ceiling despite there being, you know, wires and water mingling up there. It turns out a pipe on the other side of the living room sprung two leaks and the water was traveling across my living room to a low point and leaking out there. Once we opened up the ceiling in one spot I hadn't notice was starting to sag and let out nearly 10 gallons of pooling water (another day and it would have probably just burst, the plumber just put a finger into where the paint was starting to bubble and it started flowing out like a faucet) I started looking for other water damage spots and found one that turned out to be directly under the aforementioned pipe. It took longer to track down the source than to fix it, but the end result is that I have two gaping holes in my ceiling and will probably need to have a sizeable portion of it replaced. I have a pretty good insurance policy that covers water damage so my exposure on this is limited to the deductible. All in all, this could have been a lot worse.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I dunno if it's just that the game is still kinda jank or something with the PC port, but man, the framerate is borderline unwatchable in the middle of the video here.

Pratan
Dec 31, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

I dunno if it's just that the game is still kinda jank or something with the PC port, but man, the framerate is borderline unwatchable in the middle of the video here.

Yea i had the same issue. Thought it was my connection or something.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

Wow, the backtracking.

It's a shame they couldn't have added a quick travel system of some sort. It wouldn't have made much sense, but something to decrease all of the backtracking.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I personally enjoyed the backtracking. Getting to open new routes and chests with my new powers each time was a big help.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

imo the game doesn't need a full fast travel, but it would really benefit from every planet having 2-3 landing points like Metroid Prime 3

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Pratan posted:

Yea i had the same issue. Thought it was my connection or something.

No, that's apparently on the file I uploaded. I'm remembering now that the editing software was having some trouble playing the video during the live edits, but didn't think anything of it at the time. I loaded up the raw recording again to check and that segment of the video still causes it to go all janky. It's not there in the recording, though. I don't have a great solution.

Waffleman_ posted:

I dunno if it's just that the game is still kinda jank or something with the PC port,

This game is weirdly CPU intensive, by the way. My GTX 2070 is a series ahead of the recommended card, but I'm running a i7 6700. The recommended CPU for the game is an i7 6700K which is kind of nuts when you remember that the "Ultra" settings for Cyberpunk 2077 were an i7 4800 or something an a GTX 2080. Even modern releases like the new Borderlands game don't hit the same "recommended" CPU rating as Fallen Order. I think the port was a little sloppy to say the least.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
At the end of the video - is that a crashed Venator in the swamp ahead of you?

Can't believe I didn't see it the last time you were down there.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The best performance boost you can do is knock it off 60fps, if you haven't already and it happens often enough to worry about. I have a GTX960 and i5 6600 and it would either slideshow or hard-crash when landing on a planet before that, runs fine at 30fps with occasional stutters when loading a bunch of stuff (that goes back to normal quickly).

Edit: I missed that it was some issue between raw recording and final video.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

painedforever posted:

Wow, the backtracking.

It's a shame they couldn't have added a quick travel system of some sort. It wouldn't have made much sense, but something to decrease all of the backtracking.

One factor is that Lazyfire took the long way to hit some chests. Their first time here he went from where this video ended down into some mines and up an elevator right by the walker/ship; that's reversable, which means you can get here pretty much as soon as you land. Agree on quick travel though, there's reasons for it, but it would be really useful as some endgame upgrade when you're trying to get everything.

painedforever
Sep 12, 2017

The world's kinda empty though... comparatively? I mean, it's supposed to be a souls-like, so having tons of enemies would be bad, and having life-or-death fights every few minutes would've been even more tedious, so I guess it makes sense.

I'm guessing that the platforming is a lot more fun in practice than it looks in the video. Like in various Assassin's Creed games in which half the fun is getting from one end of the map to the other as quickly as possible without slowing down, or not touching the ground, which would probably be tedious to watch (especially if you keep falling off and vow to do it better next time).

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

I went back and re-edited this one because I did find some weird frame/sound skipping after the last one went up. I'm going to try and force the game to 30FPS from here on to see if that helps things.

This is a pretty great episode because you get me dying to a creature and a boss fight that I don't die in. The two fights against the Second Sister we've seen have her using an identical moveset and abilities, but both are supposed to be a skillcheck for the player. The first is there to make sure you've learned the basics of the tutorial and is a little more forgiving considering you have no healing and just went through a series of fights. This one has her being a little faster and throwing out more unblockable moves, but expects the player to have learned to be cautious with saber strikes from dealing with the Purge Troopers and to learn to dodge. Force Powers are of limited use in these fights, so it is very much a saber competency exam by the game as you are going to be facing more difficult enemies from here on out and if you can't handle this fight you should expect a hard road ahead. Thankfully, I got out of this one OK, so I won't make myself look bad at combat for a little while yet.

Lazyfire fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jul 9, 2022

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
You left out a bracket in your url, I think. The video link is broken. I had to go to your Youtube channel to watch it.

This episode does indeed have an interesting and well written story twist.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

achtungnight posted:

You left out a bracket in your url, I think. The video link is broken. I had to go to your Youtube channel to watch it.

Normally, I would have seen that immediately, but instead I recorded a video and things went hysterically bad tech-wise, so it took over an hour to see the mistake. should be set now.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
It is. Thanks.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

It is a good twist, but it felt weird when she called Cere Cal's "new master". Like, she doesn't use the force any more, and it doesn't seem like she's taught him anything about it, so it seems like an odd characterization?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Even if Cere doesn’t use the Force, she’s still a person of influence over Cal with a significant Force signature. Enough for another Force user to sense at least. Same way Vader knew Obi-Wan trained Luke even having never directly observed it.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

achtungnight posted:

Even if Cere doesn’t use the Force, she’s still a person of influence over Cal with a significant Force signature. Enough for another Force user to sense at least. Same way Vader knew Obi-Wan trained Luke even having never directly observed it.

I mean, Vader knows by literal visual observation that Obi-Wan was travelling with Luke given he was, you know, kind of directly shot at by Luke right after killing Obi-Wan, so it's not like the Force was really needed to figure out Luke had likely gotten some training from him. And as far as Vader's concerned the Jedi are basically extinct at that point (far more so than during Fallen Order, when they're still being actively hunted down - reminder that Fallen Order is 14 years before the battle of Yavin, so only 5 years after Order 66), so where ELSE would Luke have picked up his training? If you really think about it Vader's likely wrong too, given Luke had probably received more training from Yoda (or self-taught) at that point than Obi-Wan*.

Trilla's also likely just making an assumption since she's received reports they're travelling together rather than any real Force feeling. Especially since her speech has an element of "well, despite that" when Cal mentions Cere's currently cut off from the Force.

*: Depending on just how much Obi-Wan's Force Ghost actually trained Luke, which is a giant unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Trilla's manipulation was never gonna go anywhere; what exact alternative does Cal have but to trust Cere, giving the hologram info over to her??? Like even if she hadn't just tried very hard to kill him both right before this and earlier, worst case those kids are just as hosed as they would be if that list were in the Empire's hands.