Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Lol at that ending. And double lol at those Helios spacesuits, holy poo poo.

Sivart13 posted:

science-wise, what the hell is this little wonkavator that can get within 1000m of the martian surface and then just zoop back up to orbit? does everything have little helium-3 engines that are magic?

Again, there are no fusion engines. If you're landing on Mars the lander would also have to be able to get you back to orbit (in this configuration anyway) so abort to orbit would be doable. LM could do it for moon landings too.

There are other mission configurations where your lander wouldn't have enough fuel to do it, but no reason why it wouldn't have enough in the tanks for landing + abort option for what Helios is doing. Doing it from that low would be really risky but it's a TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
Mars escape velocity is like twice that of the Moon, yes? Far less fuel is needed than for leaving Earth, but still seems like launching a heavy-looking craft like the Sojourner with eight crew members lying flat on the Martian dust would be tough . Then again, I don't know much about these things. Obviously, it's just gonna happen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

My guess is the landing engines to get it into the air then the main engines to orbit. Mars is already radioactive as poo poo so you wouldn't have to worry about that. I'm not sure a NERVA engine has enough thrust for it but maybe in 0.38 g. The Soviet ship wasn't an upper stage, it just launched from the ground on four NERVAs so if that works then two would be plenty on Mars.

Bobcats
Aug 5, 2004
Oh
How was the Russian design going to put cosmonauts on the surface?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Guessing the whole thing was going to land engines down, same way Starship is designed to do it.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Grand Fromage posted:

My guess is the landing engines to get it into the air then the main engines to orbit. Mars is already radioactive as poo poo so you wouldn't have to worry about that. I'm not sure a NERVA engine has enough thrust for it but maybe in 0.38 g. The Soviet ship wasn't an upper stage, it just launched from the ground on four NERVAs so if that works then two would be plenty on Mars.

Are the landing engines NERVAs? What I know about those engines is that they are low(er) thrust but are able to burn for a long time, which makes them good for interplanetary maneuvers. That means they would be poo poo for getting off a planet. But then it seemed like the soviets were using them to launch from Earth, so maybe they are just taking a lot of technical liberties.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I assume the landing engines are just standard H2/LOX chemical rockets. You are right about how NERVA works and I don't think you could get off the ground with them on Earth. The show's realistic-ish but not exactly hard SF.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last

Grand Fromage posted:

The show's realistic-ish but not exactly hard SF.

We knew that as soon as they flew a space shuttle to the moon.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Rental Sting posted:

We knew that as soon as they flew a space shuttle to the moon.

Yeah even if it was a nuclear shuttle that was still goofy.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Which they also copped to, they just really wanted moon shuttles because they're cool.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I'm still expecting Margot/Ellen double scandals to cripple NASA, but am really hoping for some clever working by Margot.

Right now the world sees the Soviets as having had an unfortunate accident, but that just being a bad roll of the dice and ultimately they're also being credited as jointly making it to Mars first.

Margot could make it clear to her blackmailers that she is willing to expose herself. If that happens sure she probably goes to prison, but the Soviets are also exposed as incompetent, only able to get to Mars by stealing years old US technology, and even then not being able to use it properly. All the first on Mars victory at that point shines firmly on the USA

So she's done working for them from this point, and Sergei plus his family are to be allowed to move to the US. If they decline, then she will expose them.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Grand Fromage posted:

Which they also copped to, they just really wanted moon shuttles because they're cool.

Goofy yeah, but after watching Illectros video on it I reckon it could have worked if there was a combination of fuel tanks in the cargo bay, fueled in orbit, and an orbital booster stage that gives the Orbiter a kick to the moon before detaching and returning to Earth/Lunar orbit to be refueled with fuel made from lunar water.

Yeah it's goofy and inefficient, but honestly I like the idea that even in the FAM universe the one constant is the Shuttle Program being inefficient and used in bizarre ways.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
reject modernity, embrace Saturn 5

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah I get all that, I just don't know why Aleida would care so much. She's never been presented as this ultra-American person who wants to beat the Soviets.

It read to me more as personal pride than patriotism. "Come up with your own design, this one's mine!"

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah she pretty much sacrificed the last good years with her dad to design that engine.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah I get all that, I just don't know why Aleida would care so much. She's never been presented as this ultra-American person who wants to beat the Soviets.

I work in aerospace myself, and I just read it more as a personal insult than anything else. When you’ve been working on the design/testing/building/launching of something that big and you’ve spent years on it, you get attached to the project. Everyone who worked on it will say, “that’s my plane”.

Now throw in the fact you’re doing it not to make a buck, but to further legitimate scientific research and/or national pride and soft power? drat right she’d be pissed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
She was definitely mad about them stealing her work, not about them stealing State secrets.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I gotta say the landing scene was suitably epic and just really redoubles my hate for how unimaginative NASA (and especially those holding its budget hostage) are in reality. gently caress we really should be on Mars now and it shouldn't be a tech bro looking like our only real shot to get there.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

That was an excellent episode. Danielle owns. Also glad Wayne is still around, although dunno why we haven’t seen him interact with Molly this season. Their relationship is anti-Danny/Karen.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Hyrax Attack! posted:

That was an excellent episode. Danielle owns. Also glad Wayne is still around, although dunno why we haven’t seen him interact with Molly this season. Their relationship is anti-Danny/Karen.

there's no time, how else are we supposed to know danny is an rear end in a top hat

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

tokin opposition posted:

there's no time, how else are we supposed to know danny is an rear end in a top hat

Yeah, wish they’d spend half the time on it with better writing and maybe a better actor for Danny. Feels like they just told a middle of the road thespian to “kinda act like the Joker?” There are hints of interesting ideas about it like Danny not mentioning his wife in his video message and barely caring he has a daughter, but the whole Danny master hacker stuff is silly

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

It'd be great if someone just yeeted Danny out an airlock so we could move on.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

Have Spike put him in a cage and raise him into the sunlight.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
The show's called for ALL mankind, that includes the creeps too, sorry

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

EvilHawk posted:

From NASA's perspective Russian presence on the moon has been very detrimental (stole the mining site, almost destroyed Jamestown, caused the death of astronauts). And now the same thing seems to be happening with Mars(almost caused the destruction of Sojourner, recklessly caused the death of NASA astronauts). I can totally imagine people would be furious to find out that it was only possible because someone has been selling them NASA tech (for possibly frivolous reasons like greed).

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I still hate hate hate the Danny storyline but that stoned Karen scene was so good

Rest of the show continues to be real cool

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
What exactly are goo balls?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

weed edibles

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

I mean, Ed is stuck with him for another year or so

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Silly Burrito posted:

What exactly are goo balls?

Peanut butter, weed, and depending on the recipe other things.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

GABA ghoul posted:

From NASA's perspective Russian presence on the moon has been very detrimental (stole the mining site, almost destroyed Jamestown, caused the death of astronauts). And now the same thing seems to be happening with Mars(almost caused the destruction of Sojourner, recklessly caused the death of NASA astronauts). I can totally imagine people would be furious to find out that it was only possible because someone has been selling them NASA tech (for possibly frivolous reasons like greed).

Yeah this is going to turn into very nasty congressional hearings and definitely prosecution. Margo's actions directly lead to the needless death of two astronauts. If she hadn't given the soviets the engine designs, they never would have been out there, and two NASA astronauts wouldn't have died.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
I wonder if Ellen pardons Margo.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I wonder which characters/cast members will be around next season. I kind of assume Danny and Kelly will be there simply because they are younger astronauts that have gotten a decent amount of screen time. I also expect Aleida to be back since she is the main young person that gets screentime at NASA.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 9, 2022

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

D-Pad posted:

I gotta say the landing scene was suitably epic and just really redoubles my hate for how unimaginative NASA (and especially those holding its budget hostage) are in reality. gently caress we really should be on Mars now and it shouldn't be a tech bro looking like our only real shot to get there.
See this is where I'm worried people watching this show get a mistaken impression that going to Mars would be cool and fun when in reality it is stupidly boring and dangerous.

The show really isn't making it clear how long the Sojourner trip took, but those people would've been going stir-crazy in a cramped spaceship for at least two months and more likely six. All for the opportunity to make a risky landing to the surface and splat or send another 6+ months in a radiation-heavy resource-light environment.

It is not really worth sending humans to die on mars so they can pick up some novel dirt. We can keep sending little helicopters to blow the dirt around if we want.

If real-NASA wanted to spend money improving life on Earth we should be out there mining asteroids.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Spacebump posted:

I wonder which characters/cast members will be around next season. I kind of assume Danny and Kelly will be there simply because they are younger astronauts that have gotten a decent amount of screen time. I also expect Aleida to be back since she is the main young person that gets screentime at NASA.

I'm surprised they dropped so many of the supporting cast from last season e.g. both the astronauts who were with Ed during the finale.

It feels like there's a whole missing generation between Danny's peers and Danni's peers. I think the only remaining one is Nick.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Show continues to rule. Danny sucks.

Welcome to the goo!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

PYF goo balls recipes

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm surprised they dropped so many of the supporting cast from last season e.g. both the astronauts who were with Ed during the finale.

It feels like there's a whole missing generation between Danny's peers and Danni's peers. I think the only remaining one is Nick.

I thought the Pathfinder conclusion was a little awkward since they were using a real person for it.

Also I wonder if the Danny subplot would come across better if we actually got to see him turning into a real creep instead of it happening between seasons.

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

muscles like this! posted:

Also I wonder if the Danny subplot would come across better if we actually got to see him turning into a real creep instead of it happening between seasons.
clearly the answer to Danny's scenes being awful is More Danny

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Whenever Danny’s not on screen, all the other characters should be asking, “Where’s Danny?”