Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Honestly I think the biggest issue is how this game handles her dad. I really can't tell what they were trying to say by how he was handled. I thought he was going to be assassinated on "accident", but no he lives through the entire game. They even have Bernie say like she kind of understands him on the last map? Like were they trying to rehabilitate the guy? He's still incredibly reprehensible, so it walks this weird line where I'm not sure what they are trying to do with his character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
You can let her dad die on the final chapter and it's not a failure condition, Bernie literally just says "My father's been killed? Oh." and then Hubert complains about all the paperwork he'll have to do elevating a new Southern Bishop.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
I think there's a sort of poetry in Bernie stating she stayed inside her room because it was assuredly where her dad was not, and stating she now has freedom to go wherever she wants because Hubert and Edelgard installing him as the Bishop has turned him in a mess of a man who has to literally be dragged from his own room. The target that they paint on him has made his life a very ironic hell, and I'm here for it.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
On the other hand, Bernie's and Marianne's support is sweet and perfect and everything I'd hoped for.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

Honestly I think the biggest issue is how this game handles her dad. I really can't tell what they were trying to say by how he was handled. I thought he was going to be assassinated on "accident", but no he lives through the entire game. They even have Bernie say like she kind of understands him on the last map? Like were they trying to rehabilitate the guy? He's still incredibly reprehensible, so it walks this weird line where I'm not sure what they are trying to do with his character.
her saying she kind of understands him is just a joke about him being terrified of everything now the way he made his daughter be, its not any kind of rehabilitation.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
Constance and Hapi are 100% gay for each other and you can’t convince me otherwise. They’re like the witch couple I didn’t know I needed until now.

God I love the characters in 3 Hopes.

EDIT:

Cloacamazing! posted:

On the other hand, Bernie's and Marianne's support is sweet and perfect and everything I'd hoped for.

This is another top tier support. These two are amazing for each other.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

So my first time through was AG, and I did the secret thing to get two characters. Now I’m going through GW and although I still have access to those two characters through the mission select, otherwise I don’t really use them. Should I go ahead and do the other way, on this playthrough? Not sure what I’d be missing. I guess maxing their supports, etc..

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Necroposting so may have been addressed already, AG/SB combo spoilers(ish),

It's stated in-game as "Marquis Vestra", which in hindsight probably means Hubert but also could arguably mean his dad, depending on whether or not timeskip events played out identically-- isn't Hubert's title "Count" after he offs his dad?

I did AG after SB and the fact that only his dad is ever referred to as that by nearly everyone did make me assume Hubert was probably just "missing" and wasn't dumb enough to get killed but :iiam: that may never actually be addressed

The exact line is "We've lost far too many of our most formidable generals, including Marquis Vestra. I've not the slightest idea what's befallen our forces at the capital, nor in the east for that matter." It is undoubtedly referring to Hubert, as he becomes the marquis at the end of the prologue, and there's some camp NPC earlier on talking about how dangerous the marquis is on the map where you fight Hubert.

My read is that Randolph believes Hubert to be dead, but he also says he's totally out of the loop. When I first saw the line, I assumed that the Bert had defected and was running some kind of personal campaign we'd bump into later. He could also be languishing in a jail cell while Duke Aegir spun a yarn about him falling in battle or turning traitor.

I'm sure the intended reading is that the Twin Jewels are dead and murdered, I'm just saying it's never made explicit enough to directly contradict anyone choosing to read them as alive!

E:

Chinook posted:

So my first time through was AG, and I did the secret thing to get two characters. Now I’m going through GW and although I still have access to those two characters through the mission select, otherwise I don’t really use them. Should I go ahead and do the other way, on this playthrough? Not sure what I’d be missing. I guess maxing their supports, etc..

Apparently the storylines diverge past the secret thing on each route. I failed to do it on my first Scarlet Blaze playthrough and it had some impact down the road. On Azure Gleam, Byleth kills Rodrigue if you goof, but I dunno what the fallout of his death is since I reloaded the save and tried again.

Dunno what happens on Golden Wildfire, but I don't think you'd be missing anything other than obviously those characters and the bonus chapter. Probably a paralogue and some supports?

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jul 9, 2022

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

jimmydalad posted:

Constance and Hapi are 100% gay for each other and you can’t convince me otherwise. They’re like the witch couple I didn’t know I needed until now.

God I love the characters in 3 Hopes.

EDIT:

This is another top tier support. These two are amazing for each other.

I dunno I think Hapi and Shez might be my favorite Shez ship. It's understated but Hapi is totally into Shez and it's really cute. Though Petra/Shez is also right up there.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bernie and Marianne are characters that I individually find kind of annoying (although playing through SB, three hopes at least does a better job of showing why Bernie is the way she is, so I can sympathize with her more at least), but now that you've put the thought in my head, I do need to see how their energies bounce off each other. Unfortunately I decided my first run would be a "kill everyone" run so maybe next time

I am kind of regretting not choosing to recruit everyone though; I was applying my three houses logic, where doing this was more of a chore than a benefit, since I never ended up using more than the same core 10 characters anyway, but three hopes seems to be designed to encourage branching out a little more, with mechanics to help low level characters catch up (plus the musou format means that I can compensate for low levels by being good at the game, where in three houses you either had the stats or you didn't at the end of the day).

Also some of these deaths are pretty grim and make me feel bad

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Bernie and Marianne are characters that I individually find kind of annoying (although playing through SB, three hopes at least does a better job of showing why Bernie is the way she is, so I can sympathize with her more at least), but now that you've put the thought in my head, I do need to see how their energies bounce off each other. Unfortunately I decided my first run would be a "kill everyone" run so maybe next time

I am kind of regretting not choosing to recruit everyone though; I was applying my three houses logic, where doing this was more of a chore than a benefit, since I never ended up using more than the same core 10 characters anyway, but three hopes seems to be designed to encourage branching out a little more, with mechanics to help low level characters catch up (plus the musou format means that I can compensate for low levels by being good at the game, where in three houses you either had the stats or you didn't at the end of the day).

Also some of these deaths are pretty grim and make me feel bad

On SB at least every recruit except Ashe and Shamir is happy to be fighting for you and sparring them makes sense in the plot and not just because they are your former friends. I guess maybe Raphael is kind of whatever but if you recruited Ignatz you're a massive jerk to just not get him too.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

you just miss out on interesting dialogue not recruiting everyone, too, and when it's as easy as pressing a button on the prep screen (as opposed to stacking stats and supports on byleth to meet exacting requirements) yeah there's absolutely no reason not to do it. in three houses there actually was a reason, because having people you know as enemies during part 2 was thematically more interesting but this game doesn't do anything like that, you either recruit or kill.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
you get different camp dialogue if you recruit and make them kill their friends

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Amppelix posted:

you just miss out on interesting dialogue not recruiting everyone, too, and when it's as easy as pressing a button on the prep screen (as opposed to stacking stats and supports on byleth to meet exacting requirements) yeah there's absolutely no reason not to do it. in three houses there actually was a reason, because having people you know as enemies during part 2 was thematically more interesting but this game doesn't do anything like that, you either recruit or kill.

Yeah I'm regretting it tbh. I mostly wanted to avoid cluttering the menu, because I remembered that being a PITA in three houses, but it doesn't feel like as big a deal here.

Plus this game makes it easier to keep track of support levels between all the characters, so it's easy to just spend your AP filling them all, I feel like three houses made you work harder to pay attention to that, so I never did.

I also think it's really cool that a musou game actually has good character development and makes me want to spend my time seeing all their interactions; I feel like in most musou games I forget who half the cast is, though I suppose this one's cheating a little since it's using characters that were already developed in a previous game. But whatever, it works.

Also, when are you supposed to be able to recruit Byleth (and Jeralt? is he recruitable?)? I'm well into part two at this point and haven't done it; in fact, I killed Jeralt somehow, and I don't think I ever saw an option to recruit either of them, I feel like I might have missed something.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah I'm regretting it tbh. I mostly wanted to avoid cluttering the menu, because I remembered that being a PITA in three houses, but it doesn't feel like as big a deal here.

Plus this game makes it easier to keep track of support levels between all the characters, so it's easy to just spend your AP filling them all, I feel like three houses made you work harder to pay attention to that, so I never did.

I also think it's really cool that a musou game actually has good character development and makes me want to spend my time seeing all their interactions; I feel like in most musou games I forget who half the cast is, though I suppose this one's cheating a little since it's using characters that were already developed in a previous game. But whatever, it works.

Also, when are you supposed to be able to recruit Byleth (and Jeralt? is he recruitable?)? I'm well into part two at this point and haven't done it; in fact, I killed Jeralt somehow, and I don't think I ever saw an option to recruit either of them, I feel like I might have missed something.

There will be a mission that says your actions will affect the story. So watch out for that.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, you messed up there. If you don't kill Jeralt, him and Byleth will join after the mission. There should have been a popup before the battle talking about how there'll be important decisions? That's what it meant.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ainsley McTree posted:

It varies on the route but essentially the map where the game screams at you that an important decision is up you have to finish without defeating Byleth. If you do so then you get both Byleth and Jeralt at the start of the next chapter.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hunt11 posted:

It varies on the route but essentially the map where the game screams at you that an important decision is up you have to finish without defeating Byleth. If you do so then you get both Byleth and Jeralt at the start of the next chapter.

Ahh that's what I did wrong. I remember seeing that popup, but I assumed it'd be a strategy option like usual. Instead I beelined for fighting Byleth because the plot kept letting me not beat her, and I wanted to see if I finally could, lol oops

Another note for NG+ i guess

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, that was it. Specifically, when Edelgard says to forget about the Ashen Demon and go straight for the boss, you're supposed to actually do that. Dunno if there are other ways it could play out, but I ignored her and bum rushed Byleth, and she said my insubordination was concerning. That is the game saying you did the bad thing.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
So I'm curious about something in late AG: Does Linhardt have anything to say about you killing Caspar? I actually avoided doing so by ignoring him entirely and just taking the escape point instead. He doesn't show up in the missions afterwards and the game didn't really say anything about it, but no one talked about him dying either.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

Spoilers for Hubert/Lysithea A Support: Holy poo poo, Hubert has a sister and dotes on her (judging by how he treats Lysithea). I absolutely love this evil chancellor boy. The supports are so good. I can now imagine the dysfunctional family of Edelgard/Hubert/Lysithea and :allears:

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Eopia posted:

So I'm curious about something in late AG: Does Linhardt have anything to say about you killing Caspar? I actually avoided doing so by ignoring him entirely and just taking the escape point instead. He doesn't show up in the missions afterwards and the game didn't really say anything about it, but no one talked about him dying either.

As far as I came across, nobody said a single word about Caspar or Count Bergliez after their speech with each other, which I found incredibly odd-- I was 300% expecting the Count to show up at some point to yell at me and go for revenge but it just never comes up. I didn't think leaving Caspar alive was an option so I can only assume it was a "split path, whatever, don't touch on it either way" kind of deal.

Equally surprising is that (AM/AG spoilers) Hegemon Husk Edelgard shows up for exactly one half of one second during Arianrohd and never again-- does she make a reappearance during the last fight if you Bad Ending it sans Byleth or did they go out of their way to make sure all the house leaders survive regardless?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Azure Gleam seems like the one route that doesn't have the "Well Byleth wasn't here so everyone seems hosed with no growth" thing going. By helping Dimitri early, that kinda by trickling effect solve everyone else's problems. I guess that's why I'm enjoying it more than the other routes, which has my favorites kinda just being their pre-time skip but elongated.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Y'know I was kind of thinking that it's cool that we've been seeing more bi characters and more openly bi characters, but there haven't really been any gay characters other than that one lovestruck archer in Gaiden. I'm finally getting around to wrapping up Hilda's supports and, uh, they may have been bi in Houses but they are not that in Hopes. Good on you, game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Y'know I was kind of thinking that it's cool that we've been seeing more bi characters and more openly bi characters, but there haven't really been any gay characters other than that one lovestruck archer in Gaiden. I'm finally getting around to wrapping up Hilda's supports and, uh, they may have been bi in Houses but they are not that in Hopes. Good on you, game.

I don't think the character who talks repeatedly about how attractive certain guys are and who says she wants a boyfriend isn't bi, she is just very aggressively bi and probably ends up with a harem if you don't stop her.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Personally I didn’t like that there are characters who were obviously written as gay but got made bi so as not to offend the shipping legions. Like 85% of Catherine’s entire personality is about how lesbian she is. And her supports with dudes aren’t romantic in the slightest, but god forbid someone isn’t allowed to have their Manleth marry her.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

This is why its good Shez can't date anyone.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I mean as long as shipping various characters to other characters with no canon pairings is a big part of the appeal there is no point in limiting yourself

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

galagazombie posted:

Personally I didn’t like that there are characters who were obviously written as gay but got made bi so as not to offend the shipping legions. Like 85% of Catherine’s entire personality is about how lesbian she is. And her supports with dudes aren’t romantic in the slightest, but god forbid someone isn’t allowed to have their Manleth marry her.

They’re not bisexual, they’re By-sexual

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Catherine mostly seems into Shamir and Byleth, so I just assumed that expressionless murderhobos were her thing.)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She's into Rhea though.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Catherine and Dimitri kinda sorta vibe…?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Catherine doesn't seem so much lesbian as a grown up bisexual tomboy. Shamir is the one with the lesbian energy that somehow marries Bylad anyway.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jul 10, 2022

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Catherine doesn't seem so much lesbian as a grown up bisexual tomboy. Shamir is the one with the lesbian energy that somehow marries Bylad anyway.

Shamir radiates so much lesbian energy she turns people around her into lesbians. Her being able to marry male Byleth is stupid as hell.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

ImpAtom posted:

Shamir radiates so much lesbian energy she turns people around her into lesbians. Her being able to marry male Byleth is stupid as hell.

I mean, Shamir seems like the type who might marry a dude for the tax breaks but their ending specifically says they have kids.

Maybe she has a different vibe in Japan but as a straight American man, Shamir reminds me a lot of some IRL lesbian friends.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jul 10, 2022

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

ImpAtom posted:

You would only know that if you play mByleth, which nobody does or should, therefore;

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I would say Edelgard is another character who I could see as gay but bi for game mechanics, but she was very understated about romance in Houses and all business here so it's arguable. I just like picturing her as gay solely because her and Hubert's relationship is so much better if it's purely platonic. (also because Beagles have the Bi Queen Dorothea.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

You would only know that if you play mByleth, which nobody does or should, therefore;

Therefore, Shamir has endings with Hubert, Caspar, Dedue, Raphael, Claude, Ignatz, and Cyril. She even is mentioned to get married to Hubert and Dedue, with the narration calling out that the marriage was based on love rather than any other motive, suggesting that, yeah. She's into dudes as well.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
everyone should have a romantic end with Hubert tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tired Moritz posted:

everyone should have a romantic end with Hubert tbh

Pretty sure the Claude/Hubert one would end up with them taking over the world.