Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah, the students aren't "really trying" in any sense, that's just a chill flow spar demonstration type deal.

I dunno if I'm off base, but if you thought it was full effort from the young black belts, it's be educational to recalibrate your perception for judo specifically or grappling in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
Thanks for explaining, all. A judo guy told me the sport has changed dramatically over the years and I wondered if that was just how they did randori back then. Neglected to consider that the 10th dan is in fact, old as hell.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
My dojo is owned by a lady in her 50's or maybe 60's; she focuses on "old school Judo" (how it was described to me one day) and another major teacher there is one of her top students, a 20 year old guy who's big into tournaments and went to the junior Olympics. It's my understanding that basically in order to keep Judo in the Olympics they've made rules changes to encourage constant throw attempts - no excessive grip breaking, no excessive defensiveness or unwillingness to engage. Also, to differentiate Judo from wrestling, you can't grab the legs at all because that leads into double legs and things.

The lady coach is extremely accomplished in Judo, she's won major tournaments in her day, so I'm not entirely sure what "old school" means that at this gym; from what I've seen I think she focuses on fundamentals but clearly she has lots of more nuanced techniques, but I think she leaves the "here's how you'd link three throws together for a sneaky win in a tournament" stuff to the guy.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I did judo for a minute and it was kind of similar. Older coaches would teach the more full curriculum, younger competitor/coaches would drill down to current ruleset more often.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Initial impressions of Trevor Wittman's ONX gloves. I hate those YT reviews of combat sports products where people are just like, yeah, it fits me great, no i haven't sparred in it yet.
It's 5min of nothingness. So not gonna call this a review, but hopefully you can skim this in a minute.

I'd heard about these a while ago but only after watching Wittman (a leading MMA coach, for those wondering) explain them was I intrigued. The securing straps work in such a way that you don't wear wraps. WTF? Crazy, but I was so curious.

The straps are tunneled between the outer leather and the padding, forming an X over the back of the hand and wrapping around the wrist.

When you cinch tight both straps, the voids inside the volume of the glove shrink down to nothing, which is unlike any other glove I've tried.
The two straps are pretty hard to secure through a glove, and even harder to undo. I usually use my teeth to undo when both hands are gloved, but here I feel tempted to use them to tighten, even.

Without even hitting a bag yet, I can't say if the no-wraps design works, but I can definitely tell it's designed for it.
Between the 0 empty space on the inside (minimizing direct rub on your skin) and a built-in pad across the knuckles, I think it could work.

The whole assembly around the piping on the small strap and the webbing at the heel of the palm seems like it would be annoying if you sparred without headgear and had a style where your gloves kept getting ground into your face.

The gold stitching seems to be an aesthetic choice over functional -- it feels pretty plasticky on these loose ends (which I emailed them about), and so the stitching is a bit coarser than I've felt elsewhere.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 29, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks for taking the time to write that. Most of us wear Adidas "semi contact" sparring gloves. We don't grapple of course, but they always seem prone to slipping off. That method wrapping/fastening intrigues me.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

kimbo305 posted:

ONX gloves

How sturdy would you say they are? I'm spoiled by my two decade everlast wraps

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tried out on Weds night when I teach classes. Had maybe 15min total on the bag and then 2h of class time.
- the closure system is definitely more inconvenient than usual. It's possible to keep them loose so you can shove your hands in / yank them out while instructing a class, but they're definitely tighter than normal gloves
- I was doing all punches with my lead hand and pretty much just hard crosses with my rear. Lead hand felt very supported; rear hand had a bit of looseness. Like my knuckles could rotate a bit toward the radius on off-target punches. It was minor and I was pretty convinced I could tuned it out with balancing the tension in the two straps
- didn't feel any abrasion or skin pain from rubbing around inside the glove. Fists felt pretty secure in the gloves. The padding across the knuckles was ok, but the cover material is some sort of stretch fabric that seems like it would get drenched in sweat and be less easy to clean up.

A student recognized the gloves and came over to ask me about them. I talked him about my observations and just let him try them out.
He was excited to get a pair before, but I think he decided against them from trying them out -- his rear hand was folding in, palm to elbow. We tried tightening the straps as much as possible (me with my free hands could pull them pretty tight), and it still didn't solve it. So clearly there's significant body variation that affects if these will fit you.

Overall, I'm not 100% convinced that these are workable no-wrap gloves, but I could be there with more use and figuring out the fit.

slidebite posted:

Thanks for taking the time to write that. Most of us wear Adidas "semi contact" sparring gloves. We don't grapple of course, but they always seem prone to slipping off. That method wrapping/fastening intrigues me.

Your ruleset doesn't have head punches, right? Is the choice of glove mostly around being light to keep your hands fast? Like does anyone wear more protective gloves to protect their own hands?

Xand_Man posted:

How sturdy would you say they are? I'm spoiled by my two decade everlast wraps

No data yet, but they seem to use pretty heavy leather compared to my Boons and Windys. If the stitching holds up, should last as long as other gloves. I think I retire my gloves 50/50 between smelling too bad and having the padding wear out. Maybe one pair cuz the leather cracked.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 1, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

kimbo305 posted:

Your ruleset doesn't have head punches, right? Is the choice of glove mostly around being light to keep your hands fast? Like does anyone wear more protective gloves to protect their own hands?
Nah, heads are absolutely a go-to target. Basically anything above the belt and not the back. We always try to control and not hit too hard though.

Light is nice, I should actually weigh mine. You've got me curious.

Hands don't typically get hurt, but our forearms which are unprotected routinely get hammered due to blocks. My left is actually pretty swollen and tender today.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The only real experience I've had with weight is going from 16oz for my entire training career to 10oz for competition. There's a real speed difference, juuuust inside where I thought I needed to do padwork to get my combo timing down.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

So I put it on my kitchen scale. Our ITF sparring gloves are 10 oz. I did try heavier ones before and yeah, for sure you can feel a difference.

Trained the other night and I was just...not... in my zone.

Doing some drills and as I spun around for a reverse kick, fell flat on my rear end. Landed hard on my knee and elbow, actually skinned my elbow in my uniform so started leaking in it. Of course, it was my brand new BB uniform :rolleyes: Oh well, some shout and Oxiclean got it out.

Then sparred with my regular partner, and I was still... just... off.

He did a smoking reverse hook kick (reverse kick where you connect with the back of your heel, very powerful) and he just smoked me on my sternum. If I was turned a bit and hit me more on the side I'm pretty sure I would have had a couple broken ribs again.

Just wasn't feeling it and paid the price. If I was smart I would have just packed it in. Oh well.

So, in other news...

We have an exceptional test coming up Saturday with a high rank (4th dan+) BB testing.

Grand Master CK Choi will be attending and personally doing the eval with the masters, who are also testing themselves. It is a real honor to be associated with that gentleman, he is literally one of the original masters of TKD and worked with General Choi in the early days. If anyone here read the 2nd edition of that book I mentioned last year, A Killing Art, there is an entire chapter discussing him. He's quite the guy. I'm actually pretty excited to attend it and as a BB I'll be up front at the head table for the first time.

One of the people testing is my 8th Degree Master for his 9th. In most TKD, 9th Grand Master status is "largely" honorary degree which is bestowed by some organizations as an award. WTF and their associated clan does it for favors/rewards, see Trump and Putin as examples.

GM CK Choi does not do that and he views it as an abhorrence and disrespectful to everyone who is serious with the sport. Promotions are earned, not given.

From what I understand he's only awarded one 9th in his life, and it was to the lifelong head of an association which also largely follows our traditional style in the UK. He's making my master (57ish?) physically test for it and not just an honorary bestowment. From what I understand, a legit, physical 9th Dan test is something that pretty much never happens and everyone really, really wants to see. My other 7th Dan master is testing for his 8th as well which on it's own is pretty drat cool, but testing to become a GM 9th at the same time is something that most will never see in their lives.

I am pretty sure I'm going to be called up for sparring some of these exceptional guys and totally expect to be a squishy punching bag.

We have testing:
2x 4ths for 5
1x 5th for 6th (Master status)
1x 6th for 7th (this man is amazing. Also our Technical Director)
My 7th dan master for his 8th

And,
an 8th for 9 GM.

Going to be a hell of a day. It is open testing so we have people who don't even train with us coming to watch. Should be a treat.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jul 7, 2022

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I was talking in our coaches' Slack about how I was way out of shape and would lose any sort of head to head fitness challenge to the other coaches, and letting down my students in a summer camp counselor sort of way.

And then a few people said they'd be up for that challenge. So I've been mulling over how to set up a fair contest.

Fitness phase
- burpees in 5 minutes
- reps you can squat or deadlift of your body weight
- reps you can bench of half your body weight

Fighting phase
- spar one round of the style/ruleset you teach against another coach
- spar one round of a style you don't teach, preferrably as different as possible to yours
These rounds are just scored as participation. So no pressure/incentive to go hard or actually try to win the round

Winner has the most rounds sparred (0, 1, or 2 are the only scores), most reps.

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 8, 2022

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

5 minutes straight of burpees? You're a better man than I. Just kill me now and get it over with lol.

What about a timed thing for the fitness side? Kind of like that fit test I posted earlier which has a bit of everything? We had to pace ourselves because we were doing it 5x, but if you're only doing it once you can hang it all out there.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Really want to get back into martial arts, but I don't think my spine and joints are ready for returning to judo. There's an aikido place near where I work that I might give a shot, as a way to kind of settle back into things and see if I'm ready to practice without risking reinjuring anything.

Anything I should look for/look out for in an aikido place? It looks like it's a Birankai school from what I can tell. The instructor is a 5th dan and it's not too hard to find some demonstration videos he's been in from about a decade ago, so it seems to check out.

Aikido seems interesting to me, and I am a sucker for swinging around swords and staves so I think it could be fun. Really want to make sure that if I try a new art, I'm going in with beginner's mind and not carrying my past martial arts experience around as baggage.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Just be aware that Aikido's weapon stuff has very little to do with the lineage that they claim and are often gross misinterpretations.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
What is the lineage for Asian staff fighting, anyway? I've only ever seen staffs integrated into karate/aikido/taichi, and never as its own standalone art like how swords have kendo/iado/etc.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

As far as I know, there's no exclusive staff (jo/bo) style.
There's modern variations like jodo (seitei) and I think that shinto-muso ryu has it's own modern branch practiced by jodo practioners, but otherwise all of them are part of the various koryu schools and it'll usually be the second thing you learn after the basic sword forms.

Most of the original schools were essentially military academies, so they had to cover a range of weapons and often involved military tactics, including spying. (Which is where a lot of the ninjutsu myths comes from)
Only archery was it's own thing.

Ueshiba did study a variety of them, but I don't know if he ever got a teachers license for any. (Kashima tenshin Ryu, maybe), but still took them, modified them to fit in with Aikido and they've been destroyed even further since.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Instructors/senior people:

Do you have any kind of a concussion protocol/awareness course you need to complete for you schools?

Our school is getting more serious about concussions and is asking all black belts to complete some sort of 3rd party awareness course. We will probably eventually standardize on something but in the meantime it was discussed that anything is probably better than nothing.

Any online courses you have completed/can recommend? Does not have to be super in depth, probably more risk awareness, etc ... that kind of thing.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
RE: concussions

I’m not familiar with any 3rd party courses. Our go to is a SCAT 5 completed by a trained medical provider. It is required to compete provincially and at nationals. If concussion is suspected they have a baseline and can get re-tested for diagnostic purposes. I would highly recommend the same. Some athletic trainers will come to your location and test the whole team.

I would question any course that offers more than just what to look for and where to seek medical treatment. Protocols should be left to the professionals.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

slidebite posted:

Instructors/senior people:

Do you have any kind of a concussion protocol/awareness course you need to complete for you schools?

Our school is getting more serious about concussions and is asking all black belts to complete some sort of 3rd party awareness course. We will probably eventually standardize on something but in the meantime it was discussed that anything is probably better than nothing.

Any online courses you have completed/can recommend? Does not have to be super in depth, probably more risk awareness, etc ... that kind of thing.

Yes, but it's through judo canada and the canadian coaching association.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks guys

I spoke to the Master who is kind of spearheading this. Used to be just the permanent instructors that would have any formal "training." It was fairly formal in conjunction with a U (I think Laval?) but he's wanting to spread concussion awareness to all BBs as we all have the "ability" to supervise/coach and ref sparring. So for now at least we're looking at the CATT online courses until we get a formal regimen in place. I just did two courses, the Athlete and Coach modules today. Under an hour each. Not that painful to do and actually some good info. Athletes module seemed to be more geared towards university type sports but still some good info. The coaching one probably was more valuable though.

No medical advice per se other than the red-flags and warning signs to look for and recommending licensed professionals for treatment (Dr's, properly cert Nurse Practitioners... although one of the the modules briefly mentioned chiropractors for something which made me cringe a bit).

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008
That course looks very good. I’ve heard Shelina speak before and she is legit as they come.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, I think so.

Being <1hr long it's obviously not super in depth, but I recommend them. Especially for a free course that anyone can take.

I am certainly educated more than when I started (albeit still not very) but it was long enough that there were some good take-aways for sure. Some of the resources they have as part of the course (such as this for the coaches course - https://cattonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Concussion-Resources-for-Coaches-CATT-V5-August-2021-1.pdf) seem to be well made and have good info.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I wonder if it would be informative to show, with whatever video they can scrape up, athletes who only have subtle symptoms in the footage but who are later conclusively diagnosed. At our gym, anyone who gets a noticeable wobble or stagger in sparring has to sit out for the rest of the night. But other more minor symptoms could easily be missed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I think I get where you are coming from, but the unfortunate part of it is sometimes you can show zero symptoms for even a couple days and still have a concussion. Probably best to just follow this pathway/flow chart and if someone takes a hit/tumble hard enough to even question to just automatically sit-out.

https://articulateusercontent.com/rise/courses/r7w3up9N_y7ysKGCuRGoxAj4tYxQka_d/PKcH2wUznqWC5_F--CATT%2520Concussion%2520Pathway.pdf

I was told that the movie Head Games is a good show to watch. Our club owns a physical copy of it on bluray so I'm going to watch it this weekend.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

There's def some machismo around it. Some people have very good chins and take massive shots that they do totally shrug off. At least in the moment, and on that day -- surely there's some residual accruing effect down the line. Pulling someone who ate a solid hit just fine is reasonable but gonna frustrate people looking to get their rounds in.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Yeah, totally. With an adult it's a tough call. At the end of the day they're adults and ultimately responsible for themselves. All you can do is educate them as much as you can and give what your opinion is, especially if it's not really giving any red flags.

Kids it's a little easier to TELL them what is going to happen, even then some of the parents can get a little stupid but I personally haven't had to deal with that yet.
We've had some versions of the crazy competitive sport parents complaining that THEIR KID IS TOUGH and can just WALK IT OFF :rant: especially in tournaments. Yeah, good way to love your kid fuckstick. :rolleyes:

If you're so tough, join the club and compete with other adults yourself.

I've taken a reverse hook kick to my head hard enough that it kind of staggered me and I've got a "big chin". I remember looking down to my blue sparring gloves and they were green. I thought "Huh. That's weird", but luckily it was pretty much the end of class and I sat out the rest.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There's also a factor where people convince themselves that they're fine. I've done that - take a bad shot, feel fairly immediate symptoms, and my impulse is to ignore it, even though if someone else had told me they were suffering those symptoms I'd immediately pull them. I actually think it's instinctive - the brain gets rattled and the body kicks into a mode where it's like "just keep going," thinking that stopping activity will be letting the predator eat it.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ah yes, the old double standard of do what I say not what I do. Most of us have probably been guilty of it from time to time.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh God yes. That's, like, every story or personal ancedote I've ever heard or experienced regarding any medical problem. "I ignored it for [days, weeks, years] just thinking (hoping) it was [something that would go away].

I once rolled my ankle so bad the tendon made a loud pop and I crashed to the ground, barely able to breath from the sudden on rush of pain, and of course the first thing I forced past my gritted teeth with my remaining breath was "fine I'm fine, fine fine"

Edit - lol I stood up from a motorcycle crash, touched my fingers to thumbs and immediately said aloud "I'm ok!". It's just astounding the PR campaign we'll mount for our own internal monologue.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Started kendo, kendo rules. It's a really nice feeling being in a huge traditional practice with a bunch of helpful senior students. i don't think it would be helpful in a street fight, but I own running shoes.

Holy loving poo poo a hardwood floor hurts bare feet though.

I think many different martial artists over the last century had the thought, "oh I could totally work jō into this". Kendo has its own, aikido has its own, I know the old schools do too. I don't think I'd ever be interested, I'm just not that likely to run into an angry swordsman blocking my path.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Ohtori Akio posted:

Started kendo, kendo rules. It's a really nice feeling being in a huge traditional practice with a bunch of helpful senior students. i don't think it would be helpful in a street fight, but I own running shoes.

I think many different martial artists over the last century had the thought, "oh I could totally work jō into this". Kendo has its own, aikido has its own, I know the old schools do too. I don't think I'd ever be interested, I'm just not that likely to run into an angry swordsman blocking my path.

Kendo absolutely does rule. If I had a good Aikido school like mine and a Kendo school in the same area I would be really hard-pressed to pick one.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Kendo absolutely does rule. If I had a good Aikido school like mine and a Kendo school in the same area I would be really hard-pressed to pick one.

There are multiple nanadan at my dojo and more in town. The choice was easy imo.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Ohtori Akio posted:

Really? What's it made out of? I train almost exclusively on hardwood like a gymnasium floor, so much so I'll go barefoot even if runners are optional.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

slidebite posted:

Really? What's it made out of? I train almost exclusively on hardwood like a gymnasium floor, so much so I'll go barefoot even if runners are optional.

Gym floor, I'm sure it's a new trainee thing. The posture in kendo is heels up all the time so you're putting a lot of shear force through the skin of your forefoot. If I ever drop a heel it picks up traction immediately and I nearly fall over. Kendo rules.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Kendo is a cool combo of tradition and competition. No you're not going to sword fight people but it iscool that some degree of stress testing remains. Helps take the kata or an iado practice seriously knowing how much it still hurts to get thwacked by a shinai let alone the bokken or a real rear end sword.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Ohtori Akio posted:

:) I actually returned to a kendo class for the first time tonight, after about 5 years. Back in the day I had to stop practice right before I could put on armor and actually spar, so I'm hoping that after a few return sessions I'll be able to do some keiko and feel what it's like to get thwacked with a bamboo sword a thousand times in one night.

Kendo does indeed rule.

WRT the floor hardness thing, your mileage varies. My club had to switch venues, and the old place had much softer wood floors that had some give to them. The new place's floor looks like some sort of fake or combination wood, and it's really hard. Most of my club's post-covid lockdown members are 40+ , and they were warning me about being careful about the stomp you do when you strike.

Kendo club only meets once a week, so I'm going to visit an aikido place tomorrow and see what it's like. Hoping it's just chill and down to earth. Where I am in life, those flow practices look really appealing.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
I got to sit in on a naginata class the other day and I think I'm going to attend there as well. High-dan shiai live in person is electric I can't get enough of this environment.

They've also all been very chill about a visibly trans person at practice and word is most shiai for like tests are gender-combined anyways. I'm not about to be on a serious competitive team anyways, I just want to play with fake swords.

My feet still hurt.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
Naginata is so rad. The stance and sweeping strikes look so awesome. I wish kendo and naginatado were more common in the states, those kendo vs. naginata exhibitions on youtube look really rewarding and fun.

Glad to hear that you're in a safe and accepting space. I always feel kinda awkward that my kiai doesn't sound like most women's, but people have told me I have a pretty vigorous shout so I can't feel too bad about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
Situationally I will accept "scattering my foes in terror" over "gender affirmation".

A lot of our yudansha have pretty high pitched kiai, I think falsetto range might be normal? I'm not really confident enough yet to squeak out a falsetto MEN MEN MEN but it'd be a power move.