Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Imagine now you're having one of those hungover, wife is gone for the day wank sessions and just as you're about to rip the loving desk just explodes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Hyperlynx posted:

Huh... in that case, a Razer DeathAdder V2 looks like all I need...

Does "optical switch" include all the buttons? Even the mousewheel button?

edit: actually, gently caress it. It's just $69, my old mouse doesn't work anyway, and I can pop out to my local shop and pick one up today. I'll just go get one...

If you're in the US and the store price matches after the fact, Amazon has it on sale for $33.68: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082G5SPR5

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I have been wanting to chime in with my recommendation for Roccat mice over the course of the past page or so now, but have refrained from doing so because I am still on my first six months trial, and it's right around that six month mark that every goddamn Logitech mouse I buy these days's switches start flaking out, and the so-called optical switches in the Steelseries Prime Wireless also started flaking out after a single month. I really want to hit that six month mark (come August) before I start to give it my tentative endorsement, so, factually, without any endorsement one way or the other:

* All their new mice have optical switches for left/right click, with mechanical switches for the others.
-> The Kone Pro Air and Burst Pro Air are dual-mode wireless have have those optical switches.
* Older models still have mechanical switches.
* They have configurable debounce settings in the software.
* Settings save to the mouse and do not require the software to be running.
* I came to where I got by way of MX518 -> 3x G400 -> 2x G400s -> 3x G502 -> 2x MX518 Legendary -> Steelseries Prime Wireless -> Roccat Burst Core.

edit: oh right, speaking of mouse pads. Did you know that the protective plastic on the feet of the Roccat Burst Core is such that I forgot to take them off and have been using them with them on since I unboxed it?

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 27, 2022

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Re: big mouse pads, if you want a really huge mousepad one of the cheapest but still good options is the linus tech tips mousepad -- for some reason they are $30 no matter the size you choose: https://www.lttstore.com/products/deskpad?variant=39449421414503, so if you want a 60" by 35" mousepad it is a very reasonable price. Sadly no other color options, but I get that they are trying to brand I suppose.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

tildes posted:

Re: big mouse pads, if you want a really huge mousepad one of the cheapest but still good options is the linus tech tips mousepad -- for some reason they are $30 no matter the size you choose: https://www.lttstore.com/products/deskpad?variant=39449421414503, so if you want a 60" by 35" mousepad it is a very reasonable price. Sadly no other color options, but I get that they are trying to brand I suppose.

Thanks for this! Its not a bad deal at all and I kinda like the colors.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Hyperlynx posted:

This mouse is hard to get used to. I keep right clicking when I don't mean to, just from moving the mouse. ...which I'm apparently doing with two fingers on the rmb. That probably has something to do with it.

I think maybe this thing really wants to be claw-gripped, when I guess I'm more of a palm-gripper (?)

That usually happens to me when I get a new mouse, you'll get used to it before long. Lots of people move their middle finger back and forth from middle to right all the time, but you could train yourself to keep it on middle if you want, that's what I did a couple years ago. The DeathAdder is pretty large and perfectly fine for palm grip, assuming you like the general shape and find it comfortable.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

runawayturtles posted:

That usually happens to me when I get a new mouse, you'll get used to it before long. Lots of people move their middle finger back and forth from middle to right all the time, but you could train yourself to keep it on middle if you want, that's what I did a couple years ago. The DeathAdder is pretty large and perfectly fine for palm grip, assuming you like the general shape and find it comfortable.

Hopefully... It is smaller than my last mice :shrug:

astral posted:

If you're in the US and the store price matches after the fact, Amazon has it on sale for $33.68: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082G5SPR5

Already bought. As it happens, I actually got it for $69 AUD anyway, when the RRP is $69 USD. And Amazon can eat poo poo, I refuse to use them. I appreciate the thought though :shobon:

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

codo27 posted:

Imagine now you're having one of those hungover, wife is gone for the day wank sessions and just as you're about to rip the loving desk just explodes

not having a tug, but

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e3UkxAUYYk

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I have been wanting to chime in with my recommendation for Roccat mice over the course of the past page or so now, but have refrained from doing so because I am still on my first six months trial, and it's right around that six month mark that every goddamn Logitech mouse I buy these days's switches start flaking out, and the so-called optical switches in the Steelseries Prime Wireless also started flaking out after a single month. I really want to hit that six month mark (come August) before I start to give it my tentative endorsement, so, factually, without any endorsement one way or the other:

* All their new mice have optical switches for left/right click, with mechanical switches for the others.
-> The Kone Pro Air and Burst Pro Air are dual-mode wireless have have those optical switches.
* Older models still have mechanical switches.
* They have configurable debounce settings in the software.
* Settings save to the mouse and do not require the software to be running.
* I came to where I got by way of MX518 -> 3x G400 -> 2x G400s -> 3x G502 -> 2x MX518 Legendary -> Steelseries Prime Wireless -> Roccat Burst Core.

edit: oh right, speaking of mouse pads. Did you know that the protective plastic on the feet of the Roccat Burst Core is such that I forgot to take them off and have been using them with them on since I unboxed it?

Yeah I'm really loving the Roccat Kone Pro I picked up in March too; definitely one of my favorite mice (in a long list of mice). Waiting for the other hammer to drop and something to irreversibly malfunction or break.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

SalTheBard posted:

I have bigger hands and while the Viper is totally acceptable, everytime I go to Micro Center the Deathadder is the one I love.

I have big hands and I feel like Razer Viper is one of the few mice that I can actually comfortably use, funny enough. Even though I used a Razer Deathadder years ago, there's no way I could go back to using one nowadays. Something about these big humpy ergo mice just grinds against my palm and my wrist, whereas I can just lay my hand down on the Viper and shape fits my hand perfectly.

I do wish the Razer Viper was just a hair bigger though. It seems like only Zowie cares about cornering the shape/size market by putting out a bunch of variants with slightly different sizes. I'd have personally loved a Razer Viper+, for example.

I see they put out a new Razer Viper v2 that seems to be a stripped-down Viper Ultimate with 20% less weight and 50% more price. I guess less weight is cool but I was expecting more. I wonder if the build quality is any better, since my current Razer Viper has always been kinda creaky and rattly

Minorkos fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Jul 7, 2022

Khorne
May 1, 2002
re: glass pad chat

I'd recommend not buying a hard mouse pad at all. Glass is the best hard surface by far due to a combination of decent friction, insane durability, not eating feet, not getting "clean me" dirty, and remaining consistent through long play sessions. But it's not really worth the drawbacks of: having to swipe it every time you sit down, noise level, upfront cost (tco is ok), having too little friction, and most people being unable to drag their arm across the surface smoothly without a sleeve.

There are lots of other pros/cons that I'm glossing over, and I did happily use a skypad 2.0 XL for an entire year without touching a cloth pad. I also have owned an icemat v2 since it came out 15+ years ago. I personally get really annoyed with how dirty cloth pads get and how quickly cloth wears out. Cloth, even artisan hien, only lasts ~3 months of use for me until certain critical spots become slower/inconsistent.

If you only work and casually game then glass is fine if you can deal with the noise level & spending a second swiping it with the side of your hand every time you sit down. It's still a really hard sell over something like the odin infinity, lgg venus, or lgg saturn. Where they're quiet, comfortable, cheap, and you will find a pad with ideal friction for you.I also bet most people don't replace their cloth pad every 3-4 months so cloth is an even better value proposition.

also, for fps games, I'd go cloth every single time.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jul 7, 2022

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Minorkos posted:

I'd have personally loved a Razer Viper+, for example.

I went from the Logitech MX Revolution, to the original Naga to the Naga Chroma. Going to the Viper from using mice that big for literally 15 years was a shock, I don't mind it though, it's comfortable and responsive, but if it was maybe just a bit bigger all around I would be in heaven

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Minorkos posted:

I have big hands and I feel like Razer Viper is one of the few mice that I can actually comfortably use, funny enough. Even though I used a Razer Deathadder years ago, there's no way I could go back to using one nowadays. Something about these big humpy ergo mice just grinds against my palm and my wrist, whereas I can just lay my hand down on the Viper and shape fits my hand perfectly.

I do wish the Razer Viper was just a hair bigger though. It seems like only Zowie cares about cornering the shape/size market by putting out a bunch of variants with slightly different sizes. I'd have personally loved a Razer Viper+, for example.

I see they put out a new Razer Viper v2 that seems to be a stripped-down Viper Ultimate with 20% less weight and 50% more price. I guess less weight is cool but I was expecting more. I wonder if the build quality is any better, since my current Razer Viper has always been kinda creaky and rattly

You should track down an Asus ROG Spatha! Those things are designed for monstrous hands and, at 179g, you can always hit somebody with it to kill them.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I remember buying a mouse that came with extra insertable weights, because heavy mice were superior.

Now I don’t know what to believe

tildes
Nov 16, 2018
Light mouse best mouse. We used to give our kids lead toys too, but now we know better.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

The early 80s where die-cast metal toys were all the rage were the best.

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Just got the Xtrfy Mz1 wireless, very light and good fit for my hand. Going to play some Destiny with it and see how it feels.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

mouse weight for actually produced mice probably makes an ~0.1% difference in raw aiming performance and I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary

maybe it reduces RSI marginally as a positive benefit?

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
While the results for both mice are likely within margin of error once you're accustomed to the weight, I imagine the lighter mouse helps reduce fatigue when you're on hour six of full desk sweeps for 180 flicks. :v:

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I weighed my mice just now. The 703 is 95 grams, and the 502 is 116 grams. The Shroud lightweight mouse is 75 grams. I can't imagine that would make any noticeable different in pushing it across a mouse pad. Even if I had to life the mouse for some reason, 116 grams is not really anything that would strain my wrist.

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
I prefer my heavier 502 (with all the weights) because I go for very small movements and the weight helps smooth those kinds of motions out.
I would recommend not doing this, though, apparently it gives most people RSI.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
It feels like night and day to me going from a 77g corded mouse to a 74g wireless mouse. I would say ergo > wireless > weight in terms of importance, but they all make a big difference.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I audibly grunt as I slap a 121g G502 around on my desk, but I'm quiet as a churchmouse with my 104g Kone XP.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

cordless is a significant difference

i felt like i had phantom limb syndrome or some poo poo when i switched

mrking
May 27, 2006

There's No Limit To What We Can't Accomplish

I thought they included the weights to affect how it balances. I ran 1 weight near the back spot so it would be more balanced weight distribution when I picked it up.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

comedyblissoption posted:

mouse weight for actually produced mice probably makes an ~0.1% difference in raw aiming performance and I haven't seen any evidence to the contrary

Solid benefits to wrist aim and weight matters a ton for fingertip aim. Less strain on wrist as well.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

comedyblissoption posted:

I do alot of flick shots in FPS games at a low DPI so something like a 60-70 gram mouse is a god sent for me. I could do it on heavy mice but the fatigue from doing it over and over was not great. I rather not have the simulation of pushing a brick through mud.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
I am fully converted to 60cm/360, tiny wireless mouse (hati s), and violently swinging my arm around.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Ive been rocking a feather light mouse for years. Funny how all the Logitech boat anchor fans disappeared.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I’m still here with my 502 (with no extra weights)

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

I mean my new mouse is lighter than my old mouse, but it's got a different shape that forces me to either click buttons accidentally or use a different grip. Because I'm using a different grip, my fingers are getting sore.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

I just want to shout out how much I love that Razer has completely broken Synapse again and now there's no way to disable RGB without pulling my mouse apart.

And a sincere, deeply personal gently caress you to everyone who likes RGB.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Always buy the ones with onboard storage so you can avoid and/or stop using the software as soon as possible.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

They all have onboard storage. There are literally no mice where it works properly.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
I loathe RGB as much as the next guy, but I also am having a hard time finding sympathy for anyone who buys Razer's poo poo.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

K8.0 posted:

I just want to shout out how much I love that Razer has completely broken Synapse again and now there's no way to disable RGB without pulling my mouse apart.

And a sincere, deeply personal gently caress you to everyone who likes RGB.

Why do you keep updating Synapse? I figured after your last problem you would've just rolled it back to a less broken version. Or you just did the fix and stopped updating it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

I loathe RGB as much as the next guy, but I also am having a hard time finding sympathy for anyone who buys Razer's poo poo.

:( the thread literally just told me to.

Happily I love RGB

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Razer has been making good mice and ok keyboards the past few years.

Viper ultimate & viper mini & orochi v2 in particular are all pretty good.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Khorne posted:

At no point has their software risen beyond trash tier, though. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

Khorne posted:

Compared to what? The original Blackwidow was a great keyboard at the time, and there are scattered across the ages a very small handful of mice that are on either side of, 'OK'. Their software has always been dogshit, and compared to actual quality manufacturers of components, most of there stuff has been about as good as their software.

I could rag on about build quality, their cheap construction on the mice and their cost cutting on keyboards, but an example probably works better:

Observe the stabilizers from these keyboards. The top two use soldered on 'placed' stabilizers. They are more expensive, but they don't break, they are easier to deal with when you remove keycaps for cleaning, and they are substantially more balanced. The bottom one is the Razer solution. It's little piece of metal that distributes the weight across the key sorta kinda evenly. It still wobbles a bit, it's a pain in the rear end to deal with if you remove keycaps, and since it's hooked into a plastic mold, it's pretty easy to break. But it's cheaper!

Actual premium manufacturers do not use that cheap poo poo. They have soldered on solutions. This would include Code, Ducky, HH, Vortex, and a slew of others. Cheaper manufacturers use the cheaper solution, and Razer isn't alone here, but it is on the list.

This is one example, but this same philosophy extends to way more then just key stabilizers. Most of the stuff they do is to cut costs, not to create a great product.

This thread has a lot of people who recommend Razer, but it's from an anecdotal experience, not actually examining the offerings available. Since I'm on a bit of a rant, also avoid Steelseries like the plague. I haven't been in the business of evaluating hardware for awhile, but Steelseries has always built super cheap crap.