Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
James Caan, Ray Liotta, Tony Sirico. drat.

Anyway I'm enjoying Black Bird on Apple TV. Cast is great (speaking of Liotta).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

dorium posted:

believe it or not, this isnt the first time i've had to explain the ending to the show online and in-person. not sure where the disconnect for some people was, but the ending went over some peoples heads.

i think it’s because the dead brothers plan just doesn’t make much sense.
The whole show is about struggling with a broken down restaurant, and how they owe money to a guy who is willing to seriously hurt them to get it back.
If the plan is to sell the restaurant and open somewhere else, why not just sell the restaurant instead of borrowing money?
If they give Cicero the restaurant with the excuse that they have no money, won’t he notice if they suddenly open a fancy new place somewhere else, with money they said they didn’t have?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Oasx posted:

i think it’s because the dead brothers plan just doesn’t make much sense.
The whole show is about struggling with a broken down restaurant, and how they owe money to a guy who is willing to seriously hurt them to get it back.
If the plan is to sell the restaurant and open somewhere else, why not just sell the restaurant instead of borrowing money?
If they give Cicero the restaurant with the excuse that they have no money, won’t he notice if they suddenly open a fancy new place somewhere else, with money they said they didn’t have?

I did not get what happened, because that required a lot of irrational decisions. Like, there isn't really an ambivalent way to interpret it, but the canonical way is really stupid.
The only reason this happened was for the TV drama, so they can have a sudden unexpected windfall and new beginning at the end.
Shows really good. Season ending is awful.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean its not super surprising to me that the depressed guy who killed himself didn’t have the most well-thought-out plan. But I also think it works so well as a moment of catharsis that I don’t really need to interrogate it in this way.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Yeah who knew that a depressive addict had poor judgement skills!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://mobile.twitter.com/blumhouse/status/1545078299608637442

Every thing was going great, until the murder

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Another season of Fringe, another timeline.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm up to date on Moonhaven and it loving rocks. It's a murder mystery story set in a quasi anarchist state -- inspiredby LeGuin's The Dispossessed, I think -- with some awesome visuals and killer jokes. I love the neologisms and the world building, the entire thing comes across as vaguely Midsommar adjacent with weird bits of technology and cultural influences poking through around the edges -- the design teams do a really good job of differentiating between the Earth tech and the Lune tech, for instance.

Dominic Monaghan is very good in this, but the lead is fantastic. Great slightly feral body language, and her low key amusement / discomfort with everything she sees is very fun. I've never seen her in anything else, but just wow, I expect her to go places.

The entire show is this wonderful combination of dorky and cool. Absolutely the kind of weirdo pulp that I think a lot of you would love tbh.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm actually watching the first episode now and yeah this is wild and weird and funny and I could see goons being into it

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Oh man, I just saw the trailer for it and it's crazy unrepresentative of the show. Glad you're liking it, I figured you definitely would.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
If you want to understand the id of the average Fox News viewer: watch :twentyfour: while thinking “this is a documentary and all of this is literally true and actually happened and we should organize the security of our society around this axiom.”

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
All the right people are hating Moonhaven!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Escobarbarian posted:

All the right people are hating Moonhaven!

Wait til they hear about Street Fighter 2.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
he's so worried impressionable women will stand up to him

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Ok yeah I am all loving IN in Moonhaven. Idiom, did you say this season was only six episodes?

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
What show is the tone of Moonhaven similar to? Is it like Halo? Kind of hard to tell from the trailer.

Also, has anyone heard anything about the release of Avenue 5 season 2? :mad:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hughmoris posted:

What show is the tone of Moonhaven similar to? Is it like Halo? Kind of hard to tell from the trailer.

“What if Lodge 49 was a high-concept sci-fi?”

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Escobarbarian posted:

“What if Lodge 49 was a high-concept sci-fi?”

O.o

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

“What if Lodge 49...”

Sold! Too bad it doesn't seem to be streaming anywhere in Denmark.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have no idea why but Alone on Netflix has really sucked me in. It’s a “hardcore” survivor type show but no camera crews just the people filming on their own.

It’s oddly compelling watching these people. Like one dude built a full on log cabin with a door and then the next day up and quit because he missed his family lol.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

MarcusSA posted:

I have no idea why but Alone on Netflix has really sucked me in. It’s a “hardcore” survivor type show but no camera crews just the people filming on their own.

It’s oddly compelling watching these people. Like one dude built a full on log cabin with a door and then the next day up and quit because he missed his family lol.

Alone is not your average reality TV competition. It’s in an entire league of its own and people should definitely check it out if the premise sounds intriguing to them.

In earlier seasons (and the newer ones to a lesser extent) it’s almost as if the post-production team was told to edit it like a horror movie. The music and editing are SO intense

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

As far as I can tell from looking into it, Alone is also pretty much a true reality show, with the only real producer fuckery being potentially seeding helpful items nearby to the camps (though in at least season 1, they’re much closer to civilization than it seems) and of course making the contestants film absolutely everything. It’s incredibly compelling.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I’m gonna eat these berries which I know are highly nutritious and safe

Several hours later : vomiting uncontrollably

Ok maybe these weren’t what I was thinking they were.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
ASAAAHGHGHAHASHA

https://twitter.com/creamerie_show/status/1532191305115512832

Escobarbarian posted:

Ok yeah I am all loving IN in Moonhaven. Idiom, did you say this season was only six episodes?

Yeah. Between this, Dark Winds, that Better Call Saul animated thang and The Ultra City Smiths, I get the sense this is AMC+'s standard season length now.

Hughmoris posted:

Also, has anyone heard anything about the release of Avenue 5 season 2? :mad:

No, unfortunately. HBO / Max seems to have completely slowed the pipeline on shows too; Industry has been in the can for months and months now and Max would apparently rather air nothing than premier the show (it's out in about a month).

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Daaang, I'd lost all hope for Creamerie. Hopefully they can do something fun with the concept, based on where they landed in the end of the first.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Stranger Things 4 is a little cartoony, huh? I’m not mad but it’s really kind of leaning on that dance of the line.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

my dreams, they are coming true

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It really is amazing how man streaming services are completely lazy and just call it "brand +"

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The + means more!

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
2 shows you watch + the stuff that used to be on netflix

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I think the lazy route is preferable to "creative" stuff like Peacock, Hulu, Quibi

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I binged through undone season 1 yesterday and it's dope af, as someone who loves Slaughterhouse 5 and has a dead dad it hit all the right buttons for me. Gonna start season 2 tomorrow.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Warning, you gonna cry by the end of season 2.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

theflyingexecutive posted:

As far as I can tell from looking into it, Alone is also pretty much a true reality show, with the only real producer fuckery being potentially seeding helpful items nearby to the camps (though in at least season 1, they’re much closer to civilization than it seems) and of course making the contestants film absolutely everything. It’s incredibly compelling.

Yeah. A lot of the contestants post in the show's subreddit (it's largely fine other than a few survival nerds who get annoyed that it's a TV show and not perfect reality) and they're usually happy enough with the show's presentation. Worst thing that I've heard is typical reality TV stuff where they give people good and bad edits to craft narratives. Mostly just stuff like not making it clear that someone had started catching fish again.

I actually don't think that they even seed items. Stuff washes up on the shore in the Canada seasons because they are right on top of civilization but I don't remember anything turning up when they're in the more remote Patagonia and Mongolia seasons. Although they do specifically pick campsites with pros and cons to them and say that it's kept fair through the lots being randomly assigned.

If you're down with the concept it's neat as hell and makes stuff like Naked and Afraid much, much harder to watch even as trash TV. The only big negative is that it has the Forged in Fire program of being scattered across the streaming services.

And also, yeah, it can be really effective horror at times. At one point a contestant gets on the edge of a hypochondria down spiral and records just about all of it. Just a slow decline, not helped by starvation, with clouded thoughts mixing in with laughing at how the trees are "breathing" as he struggles to warm up. Very unnerving to watch as you're just begging him to hit the emergency button.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Open Source Idiom posted:

No, unfortunately. HBO / Max seems to have completely slowed the pipeline on shows too; Industry has been in the can for months and months now and Max would apparently rather air nothing than premier the show (it's out in about a month).

I need me more of my weird rubber glove handjob show STAT

also gently caress yes @ Creamerie

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

Hughmoris posted:

I'm getting a Blake's 7 vibe from this. Mostly character driven, set in the far future but it's all done done very low key. Starship controls are two metal hoops, a moon colony is ringed by a wooden fence, the high tech scanners the cops carry are the grips of some tool from Home Depot, a spaceship has a crew of one and artifical gravity seems to exist (and stop outside the fence) but is not mentioned.

Emma McDonald is very compelling to watch, one of those endless finds of British acting talent.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CeeJee posted:

I'm getting a Blake's 7 vibe from this. Mostly character driven, set in the far future but it's all done done very low key. Starship controls are two metal hoops, a moon colony is ringed by a wooden fence, the high tech scanners the cops carry are the grips of some tool from Home Depot, a spaceship has a crew of one and artifical gravity seems to exist (and stop outside the fence) but is not mentioned.

Emma McDonald is very compelling to watch, one of those endless finds of British acting talent.

Oh poo poo, if it's got Paul Darrow in it then I'm totally onboard. I mean, I know he's dead which makes that slightly more difficult.... but still!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Most of it so far is like “drat living on the moon for 100 years has made these MFs weird as poo poo” which is a lot of fun

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
I've only seen the first episode, but Moonhaven is B/C-List sci-fi with an A/B-List budget. That's not a bad thing, it's just goofy as poo poo while being aware of it and also not tipping into self-parody.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

mooners are basically goofy ahhh