Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

lol

i wonder what other little things we do in games that'd confuse someone watching

shooting walls thoroughly in metroidvanias, there's one

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

Veotax posted:

Journeyman 3 is actually a departure for the series, 1 & 2 didn't have the disguise mechanic so you had to avoid contact with people, since you're a time traveller wearing a futuristic suit. 3 also dropped death as a mechanic from the game, removing failure states.

Deaths and changing the timeline in Journeyman 1, 2 & the remake of 1 have some fun art showing what happened.

Oh man, those are great. Reminds me of dying in Zork: Grand Inquisitor.

hyphz posted:

Anyone playing Last Call BBS?
I've been enjoying it, though I'm still trying to figure out some of the apps.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ciaphas posted:

lol

i wonder what other little things we do in games that'd confuse someone watching

Wall humping in Doom/Duke3D type of games.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Mordja posted:

Wall humping in Doom/Duke3D type of games.
How does Classic Doom guy activate doors? Sure you have the keycard doors, that could work on proximity or RFID, but what about the normal doors? You don't see a hand reach out to them. They're not motion or touch activated.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Intimidation.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

he kicks them below the camera

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Croccers posted:

How does Classic Doom guy activate doors? Sure you have the keycard doors, that could work on proximity or RFID, but what about the normal doors? You don't see a hand reach out to them. They're not motion or touch activated.

UAC voice locks all default to "hroomph"

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

What's a good management game that's easy to get into but has depth? I am thinking Rimworld but wondering if there is any other games in this space, factorio maybe?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Ulio posted:

What's a good management game that's easy to get into but has depth? I am thinking Rimworld but wondering if there is any other games in this space, factorio maybe?

Depends on what you mean by "management" - Factorio doesn't have anything other than stationary machines (and animal enemies) so you don't like manage NPCs or anything in it, so it's quite unlike Rimworld.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I REALLY like Oxygen Not Included, but it's a little different than Rimworld. In Rimworld there isn't really a wrong way to do things and you're given alot of reign to kinda freeform explore what sorta colony you're going to run.

ONI is very much like running a terranium, you have to balance the pH levels and the nitrogen content of the soil or else everything is going to eventually die. It's an engineering problem to design a closed system without excess outputs or inputs because, for the most part, there is no long-term solution for producing too much of any given waste product.

This tickles my brain but it's not gonna be for everyone, especially because by the time you realize that one of your systems has a design flaw and you're not going to be able to solve it before your food production starts to fail from temperature regulation or w/e, you're hours and hours past when you built it and the only reasonable solution is to start over and do it right this time.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Agent355 posted:

I REALLY like Oxygen Not Included, but it's a little different than Rimworld. In Rimworld there isn't really a wrong way to do things and you're given alot of reign to kinda freeform explore what sorta colony you're going to run.

ONI is very much like running a terranium, you have to balance the pH levels and the nitrogen content of the soil or else everything is going to eventually die. It's an engineering problem to design a closed system without excess outputs or inputs because, for the most part, there is no long-term solution for producing too much of any given waste product.

This tickles my brain but it's not gonna be for everyone, especially because by the time you realize that one of your systems has a design flaw and you're not going to be able to solve it before your food production starts to fail from temperature regulation or w/e, you're hours and hours past when you built it and the only reasonable solution is to start over and do it right this time.

That sounds interesting, I will look into it.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
And that's why I don't like ONI. I don't like a game where you can start a death spiral one hour in, but it's not apparent until hour 10 or 12 or whatever. I understand that I'm in the minority on this one, but I need a game to respect my time just a bit more.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

drat I haven't played ONI in a couple years, maybe time to see what's changed.

From what I recall, it's kind of a series of learning lessons. The systems are intricate enough that you don't really understand the consequences of runaway heat or CO2 until you've seen the results and get some ideas as to how to manage it. Definitely takes a while to get the hang of though.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Hollandia posted:

Is this the big environmental puzzles? Because that was great.

Yeah, exactly. The Cracking the Cryptic sudoku legend did a play through of it so at least I got to experience the revelation through him.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I know this was from a while back, but reading the thread, count me in as somebody who wants a The Sims game that makes the Sims themselves totally autonomous and frees me up to just chill, building and expanding cool houses and watching them do their things. Micromanaging sims was always the worst part of the game for me.

A good alternative to this might be some collection of mods that just always keeps all the Sims' needs at 100% and randomizes and auto-prescribes activities for them. Does that exist?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jul 10, 2022

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Oldstench posted:

And that's why I don't like ONI. I don't like a game where you can start a death spiral one hour in, but it's not apparent until hour 10 or 12 or whatever. I understand that I'm in the minority on this one, but I need a game to respect my time just a bit more.

Being able to speed up time helps with that a lot. I never got super far into the game (only to early oil production) but once you've blundered through the early game once it's a lot easier to get back to mid-game when you already know what needs to be done and can have it all play out at max speed. The consequences of the easy mistakes didn't seem too bad either from what I recall. My entire colony was full of toxic air, the floors covered in vomit and everyone had slimelung but as far as I could tell that only amounted to a slight decrease in their productivity. It wasn't until temperature shifts killed my food production and people started starving to death that I actually felt a need to restart, I think it was because I had uncovered a steam vent somewhere nearby and didn't know the heat would propagate outwards and kill all my crops. That's only a one-time thing that will happen relatively early and once you know it's something to consider it's easy enough to just use thermal insulation and avoid the problem entirely.

Been thinking of jumping back in, I'd like to eventually understand the game enough that I can get all the systems working together properly. I think I ended my last run trying to develop some emergency HVAC system to vent heat into space which wasn't working, I'm sure if you know what you're doing you can have organized bases where all the air is clean and at the right temperature. Electrical circuits only being able to handle a certain amount of power before shorting out was also kind of a conceptual hurdle after playing a bunch of Satisfactory where you can run infinite power through the wires.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:

exquisite tea posted:

Looking behind waterfalls, closing doors behind you, going in the exact opposite direction of where the game expects you to go... this is the Path of the True Gamer.

If it's the right way, it's the wrong way.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

RE: Chaos Gate chat from like 2-3 days ago; Basically I wish the "math" of the game worked out like The Last Spell. I want my dudes to each be responsible for killing 150+ dudes each per battle.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

lol

On the flip side, things you think are common sense and frustrating to see someone struggle with. There was a streamer saying how badly designed Metroid Dread was. Except in the clip, he ignored metroidvania logic to a maddening degree. Just stuck in a single room whining how there was no visuals leading the way. It was a sight to behold.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ragequit posted:

On the flip side, things you think are common sense and frustrating to see someone struggle with. There was a streamer saying how badly designed Metroid Dread was. Except in the clip, he ignored metroidvania logic to a maddening degree. Just stuck in a single room whining how there was no visuals leading the way. It was a sight to behold.

it's kind of an interesting topic to me, because it ain't necessarily logical or "obvious" to do any of that metroidvania stuff to many people. i wonder how i'd have reacted to Dread without 30+ years of general gaming meta-knowledge

game design must be hard as gently caress to do right in light of things like this, i can't even imagine

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

it's kind of an interesting topic to me, because it ain't necessarily logical or "obvious" to do any of that metroidvania stuff to many people. i wonder how i'd have reacted to Dread without 30+ years of general gaming meta-knowledge

game design must be hard as gently caress to do right in light of things like this, i can't even imagine

Oh absolutely. I should have clarified that this streamer was once a game designer. I looked it up and the clip was actually David Jaffe. He worked on the God of War and Twisted Metal games. You would think he could have figured it out. I wouldn’t have the same expectations of my wife who doesn’t play video games at all.

Wholly agreed that game design is a fine line to walk.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

This kind of a random place to ask this but I definitely appreciate the "Read" button in RDR2. I can't read cursive and I know that was unusual for when I was growing up. But is cursive less commonly taught these days and that is why this is in the game? Or is it just being pragmatic?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Ulio posted:

That sounds interesting, I will look into it.

I just picked up ONI and I absolutely LOVE it

I'm finding it very hard but it's one of those games like Stellaris where you get teleported to the wee hours of the morning

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Ragequit posted:

Oh absolutely. I should have clarified that this streamer was once a game designer. I looked it up and the clip was actually David Jaffe. He worked on the God of War and Twisted Metal games. You would think he could have figured it out. I wouldn’t have the same expectations of my wife who doesn’t play video games at all.

Wholly agreed that game design is a fine line to walk.
david jaffe developed a terminal case of brain worms so he probably lost his knowledge of game design to make room in his brain for hating cancel culture or w/e

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

ONI is fantastic but it can be pretty difficult. The early stuff makes sense and is relatively straightforward (your dupes need food, oxygen, water, and a place to poo poo). The trickiest part that can come back to haunt you in the mid game is heat and CO2 poisoning. CO2 poisoning is relatively easy to solve, but I think everyone who plays ONI loses their first colony to heat once their crops suddenly start dying.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

ONI is fantastic but it can be pretty difficult. The early stuff makes sense and is relatively straightforward (your dupes need food, oxygen, water, and a place to poo poo). The trickiest part that can come back to haunt you in the mid game is heat and CO2 poisoning. CO2 poisoning is relatively easy to solve, but I think everyone who plays ONI loses their first colony to heat once their crops suddenly start dying.

I'm finding it hard to find renewable resources because you have to dig far and deep and luck out getting a water source.

Sometimes you dig into a CO2 vent or copper volcano or something else you have no way of dealing with it.

There's tutorials online of how to deal with water, power, food, etc but they're all like 2 hours long each and he really gets into the weeds

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Eventually you learn to dig out vents/volcanos in a way that they don't activate. Certain tiles need to be uncovered for those features to start pumping, so you can just dig a couple of exploratory tiles to see what it is before fully uncovering it.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I really love the concept of playing ONI, but the slow start is what really killed it for me. It feels like it should be calibrated like a Dark Souls of city builders: make a thing, gently caress up without knowing it, then 35-55 minutes later everything is on fire. But every time I play the first few hours feel identical, it's just the same trudge towards teching up before one of the invisible counters expires and I discover the newest problem with my workflow.

It's a great idea, but after a handful of restarts I had zero interest in experiencing the first hour or two ever again.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

GreatGreen posted:

I know this was from a while back, but reading the thread, count me in as somebody who wants a The Sims game that makes the Sims themselves totally autonomous and frees me up to just chill, building and expanding cool houses and watching them do their things. Micromanaging sims was always the worst part of the game for me.

A good alternative to this might be some collection of mods that just always keeps all the Sims' needs at 100% and randomizes and auto-prescribes activities for them. Does that exist?

This game exists and it's called The Tenants :v: It's pretty fun but I haven't played it enough to give a super nuanced review. You build and renovate houses and apartments then rent them out and occasionally click a couple buttons to manage tenant needs.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1009560/Th_Tenants/
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/256741930/movie480_vp9.webm?t=1616510094

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 04:54 on Jul 10, 2022

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

NikkolasKing posted:

This kind of a random place to ask this but I definitely appreciate the "Read" button in RDR2. I can't read cursive and I know that was unusual for when I was growing up. But is cursive less commonly taught these days and that is why this is in the game? Or is it just being pragmatic?
I can't speak for everywhere, but at least in my country it's been like 50 years since cursive was in the curriculum.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Same. Only people who are like sixty know cursive.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i learned it in third grade in the 90s :confused:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I learned cursive but my handwriting is awful because I learned how to hold a pencil wrong and now it's habit.

I can sign my name, that's about it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

i hate writing because it's slower than my typing speed

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Ciaphas posted:

My teachers in the 90s insisted that we had to learn it and that everyone would be writing in cursive all the time when we were older.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ciaphas posted:

:same:

GreenBuckanneer posted:

i hate writing because it's slower than my typing speed
:same:

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer

Hollandia posted:

Out of Space is on sale at the moment; how does it hold up as a couch co-op game with casual gamers?
Going to quickly re-post this question; any goonpinions?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
New ONI players I would advise against not watching too many Youtube tutorials, not only is learning the game the only real challenge to it. Some of the weird over complicated poo poo they do isn't needed at all and gives people the wrong impression of what's really needed to make it to the end vs what kind of crazy poo poo you can push the engine to do.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
It took me a very long time to realize goons aren't talking about this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I enjoy Oxygen Not Included, but I need to be in the right mood for it.

Like, I can boot up Factorio at a moment's notice and just lose myself for hours, but ONI requires that little bit extra care and consideration, where I need to be in the mood to trim the bonsai tree.