Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

My friend went to Iceland and he said it smells lowkey like egg farts from the sulfur from the volcanoes and springs? Is that the case?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I shouldn't need a smartphone app to do a load of laundry. :argh:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Animal-Mother posted:

I shouldn't need a smartphone app to do a load of laundry. :argh:

:agreed:

I didn't even like it before when they had credit card readers. Just let me put some loving coins in the drat thing. I shouldn't have to gently caress around with the Internet of poo poo just to have clean loving clothes.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Brawnfire posted:

My friend went to Iceland and he said it smells lowkey like egg farts from the sulfur from the volcanoes and springs? Is that the case?

It can from time to time. The tap water can also smell eggy.

A worthwhile trade to get to go to Iceland.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I’d much rather go to the much warmer Greenland

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

credburn posted:

When someone posts in a Facebook group, "thought the group would like this," but they are not a bot. It's the same as when my grandmother sends me e-mails that say "I send you this file in order to have your advice." It is a pet peeve because I don't want to think that hard about whether or not a person is a bot and when they post something and for some reason use the exact same phrasing the bots do I just assume they are.

Irrationally, this irritates me doubly so because the person probably saw many bots posting with "thought the group would like this," didn't realize they were bots, and figured that's just what people say when they post jobs for fuckin Amazon or videos of people riding bikes on the local animal rescue Facebook groups.

Corollary to this is when the FB group is for some veet specific thing and there's someone in there just posting whatever poo poo they find, and when anyone is like "hey stay on topic" they're always like "well I AM a nerd/poly/alumni of x university so by definition anything I post is related" gently caress those people in particular.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

So what you're saying is that because I'm annoying anything I post in this thread is on topic?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

docbeard posted:

So what you're saying is that because I'm annoying anything I post in this thread is on topic?

Exactly right.

New pet peeve: A few things appeared in my Prime Video Continue Watching list, things which I have not watched. Checking the linked devices on Amazon, nothing outside of my control is logged in. Unless someone is doing it from a browser somewhere? Tf. Password el changeo time.

Arrath has a new favorite as of 01:55 on Jul 8, 2022

Hardcordion
Feb 5, 2008

BARK BARK BARK

DontMockMySmock posted:

:agreed:

I didn't even like it before when they had credit card readers. Just let me put some loving coins in the drat thing. I shouldn't have to gently caress around with the Internet of poo poo just to have clean loving clothes.

My current building has coin op laundry and it sucks. Even if I use cash for all my day to day shopping I rarely have 4 bucks in quarters in my change pile so I've got to make a trip to the bank just to withdraw a roll anyway. These machines also seem not to recognize any coin minted in current century so sometimes I end up not being able to do my laundry after all. Give me a laundry card I can top up with debit any day

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Hardcordion posted:

My current building has coin op laundry and it sucks. Even if I use cash for all my day to day shopping I rarely have 4 bucks in quarters in my change pile so I've got to make a trip to the bank just to withdraw a roll anyway. These machines also seem not to recognize any coin minted in current century so sometimes I end up not being able to do my laundry after all. Give me a laundry card I can top up with debit any day

This was my experience with the coin op machines in the last decade. My previous apartment switched over to cards, and it was great because I could just put a $5, $10, or $20 (it didn't use debit) into the machine and be able to do laundry. The only downside was I could only reload my card during office hours.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, we have a card system in my building and even having to go to the other building in my complex to reload is still way more convenient than having to go to the bank every so often for quarters

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Used to live by a laundromat/coffee shop and that was infinitely better than dealing with an apartment laundry ngl. The mix of detergent and coffee smells is near and dear to my heart now.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Hardcordion posted:

This reads like life on an alien planet to me.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
My last apartment building tried to ban residents from drying clothes outside on their balconies for "safety reasons", and gee would you look at that the week the ban went into effect they just so happened to open the new coin operated laundry in the sub-basement, what a coincidence.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
This year, as every year, my aunt invited me to go to the beach with them. This year, as every, no, tantine, I do not have the money or job leave to say spontaneously fly across the ocean to chill on the mediterranean. You know I hate Nice and yes I notice how you pointedly don't invite my wife, just me. She's going to later blame me for not keeping up with the family.

peeve: her, and also the idea one should value blood family over chosen family

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Used to live by a laundromat/coffee shop and that was infinitely better than dealing with an apartment laundry ngl. The mix of detergent and coffee smells is near and dear to my heart now.

At the apartment I lived in a decade ago now ( :smithicide: ), a laundromat opened up down the street. I would park around back, pop in, stick a $20 in their quarter machine, and go back to my apartment.

It was a pretty nice laundromat, as I had to use it for a couple weeks when they remodeled the apartment laundromat, but it was a lot more convenient to use the one in my apartment.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
If you're a single person living in an apartment, a portable washing machine is well worth it and doesn't take long to pay for itself. I go use a real washing machine if I need to wash something large like a quilt or pillows, but for that I go to the laundromat instead of using the apartment ones because someone keeps puking in them.

For a while I was doing laundry in a trash can in the shower, and I'd rather go back to that than deal with the apartment washing machine bullshitery.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Dip Viscous posted:

because someone keeps puking in them.

:confused::confused::confused:
Who does this?? When is a washing machine ever the most convenient place for this??

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Killingyouguy! posted:

:confused::confused::confused:
Who does this?? When is a washing machine ever the most convenient place for this??

We have one single washing machine and dryer for a series of buildings that probably are altogether twenty units. The one time I went to use it there was a HUGE black thing stuck to the inside of the washer. I pried it off the side, and it was a big fat fuckin turd.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

y'all live in a state of laundry lawlessness and anarchy wtf

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Nothing works better than the bucket and mangle, I've always said.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
I just converted to Digambara Jainism and haven't had to deal with washing machines in years.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Seems like every TV show gets to the point where they seem to have to have an episode (or ongoing message) about how your family isn't the people you're related to but actually your friends. No. Your friends are your friends and your family is your family. I think there was some good intention in there originally in trying to make people who don't have or like their family not feel bad about that, in opposition to all the messaging about how important family is, but it's gotten to the point where the message seems to be that even if you do have relatives that you spend time with they're not your real family, because actually your friends are. Or worse, your coworkers are.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I really wish employers wouldn't use words like family or team. I'd have better morale if it was ok to say "I'm doing a good job because I want money for my family, these are not my friends, I don't want to be here."

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Tiggum posted:

Seems like every TV show gets to the point where they seem to have to have an episode (or ongoing message) about how your family isn't the people you're related to but actually your friends. No. Your friends are your friends and your family is your family. I think there was some good intention in there originally in trying to make people who don't have or like their family not feel bad about that, in opposition to all the messaging about how important family is, but it's gotten to the point where the message seems to be that even if you do have relatives that you spend time with they're not your real family, because actually your friends are. Or worse, your coworkers are.

I mind it a lot less when it's earned. Give me several seasons of them going through poo poo side-by-side, I can buy the characters feeling like a family, like they're forged in fire and have become as close as family. But don't try to sell me on them being family in season 1. Show me. Write it.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I really wish employers wouldn't use words like family or team. I'd have better morale if it was ok to say "I'm doing a good job because I want money for my family, these are not my friends, I don't want to be here."

:same:

Starting an email with "team" usually means they're about to piss me off.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

My refrigerator stopped working last night.
I wonder how much milk I can drink before the repair people get here sometime on Monday.
It's a science experiment! If I die, no flowers, cremation only please.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"This corporation is like a family" is a thing every corporation says, and it's 100% true but 0% the way they mean it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Family sure but, idk what term you want to use for 'groups within a department' other than a team, unless you somehow have a department of completely solo employees who never interact with each other

That said tiggums thing about 'friends are friends and family is family' comes across to me as 'friends can only ever be a superficial relationship' which, get better friends lmao

Killingyouguy! has a new favorite as of 21:37 on Jul 10, 2022

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

docbeard posted:

"This corporation is like a family" is a thing every corporation says, and it's 100% true but 0% the way they mean it.

"Discipline"
That is all I have to say.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

That said tiggums thing about 'friends are friends and family is family' comes across to me as 'friends can only ever be a superficial relationship' which, get better friends lmao
No? Pretty much the opposite, in fact. Three shows seem to think that really good, close friends can't possibly exist; they must have transcended that label and become family instead. But no. They're friends. That's not the difference between those terms. Having a good/strong relationship doesn't make you family and being family doesn't mean your relationship is good. Family is just the people you're related to.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When people say non-blood-relations are family you know wtf they mean, don't be a pedant.

My wife's dad is family. My best friend is family. My nazi grandpa is not family.

Christ watch a Fast and Furious if you need some instruction on basic human relationships.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

My wife's dad is family. My best friend is family. My nazi grandpa is not family.
That's just not what the word means though. Your nazi grandfather is your family. Family is a neutral term. You don't have to like him or have any contact with him for him to be related to you - which he is; which makes him your family.

Your wife's dad is your family by marriage. Your best friend is not family because you're not related. Doesn't matter how long you've known them or how close you are, there's no point where you somehow become relatives.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

i s2g every 5 pages tiggum Does This

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Killingyouguy! posted:

Family sure but, idk what term you want to use for 'groups within a department' other than a team, unless you somehow have a department of completely solo employees who never interact with each other

Yeah "team" makes me think of sports and other group activities. Not sure what's inappropriate about its use in a corporate setting

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Killingyouguy! posted:

it's what keeps me coming back to this thread

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

"Family" has enough emotional weight associated with it that there's a reason that people who have strained (or nonexistent) relationships with blood relatives tend to reserve that term for the people they're actually close to.

But this is Tiggum on the usual "everyone but me uses this word wrong" track which I guess is fair enough as a peeve

Recently my best friend's (adult) daughter wished me a happy father's day because she doesn't otherwise have a father figure in her life who's worth a drat. That was pretty cool.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Tiggum posted:

That's just not what the word means though. Your nazi grandfather is your family. Family is a neutral term. You don't have to like him or have any contact with him for him to be related to you - which he is; which makes him your family.

Your wife's dad is your family by marriage. Your best friend is not family because you're not related. Doesn't matter how long you've known them or how close you are, there's no point where you somehow become relatives.

Language is liquid bruv

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Killingyouguy! posted:

Oh sorry, did I accidentally post in the "perfectly rational irritations shared by the vast majority of people" thread? I'm always mixing those two up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I was adopted by actual Nazis I assure you you can disown a family member which is the word everyone is looking for here.