Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Morpheus posted:

I like how in Monster Hunter half the time they're like "these beasts are part of the natural world and we must preserve its order and balance" and the other half it's like "this monster got mud on my shirt and now I want you to kill it"

Hey, we use the whole monster. Proper hunting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

the thing about Monster Hunter is that it is more scared of you than you are of it; on first contact it's just puffing itself up to seem larger and scare you away. don't fall for it

Morpheus posted:

I like how in Monster Hunter half the time they're like "these beasts are part of the natural world and we must preserve its order and balance" and the other half it's like "this monster got mud on my shirt and now I want you to kill it"

Anyway I'm watching The Sea Beast on Netflix and the beginning of it has very strong Monster Hunter vibes.

i watched it with my younger siblings last night and we all agreed it was a better MonHun movie than the MonHun movie. it even has a Dragonator knock-off

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Len posted:

portal 2 launched onto consoles in 2011, controller aiming isn't some impenetrable thing that's impossible to use

also it’s a puzzle game that requires very little in the ways of precision

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Augus posted:

also it’s a puzzle game that requires very little in the ways of precision

I remember having to do a lot of mid-air-and-in-motion puzzles but I may be misremembering. I don't look forward to doing those with joysticks.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Morter posted:

I remember having to do a lot of mid-air-and-in-motion puzzles but I may be misremembering. I don't look forward to doing those with joysticks.

It's not that bad, there aren't that many. Plus gyro controls make it a lot easier.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I don't remember it being particularly twitchy? So far I haven't been held back by the sticks this time around

I need to try the motion controls more (I tried with binboks but not official joy-cons)

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Len posted:

portal 2 launched onto consoles in 2011, controller aiming isn't some impenetrable thing that's impossible to use

You say that, yet Nintendo doesn't allow inverted aiming in Luigi's Mansion 3.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Portal requires way more precision than most fps games because it's a puzzle game

Specifically, a puzzle game where the whole draw is that you can put a portal wherever you point and there's no enemies to auto aim at

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

flavor.flv posted:

Portal requires way more precision than most fps games because it's a puzzle game

Specifically, a puzzle game where the whole draw is that you can put a portal wherever you point and there's no enemies to auto aim at

it’s not that hard a game lol

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I played both Portals on the steam deck and it was perfectly fine. Maybe I messed up a few portal placements here and there, but it's very low stakes and just meant I got to play Portal a little longer

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Hey, we use the whole monster. Proper hunting.
I don't remember ever being allowed to use the whole monster, just carving three or four things off of it before my hunter got bored or whatever and went home :colbert:

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
You use 8% of the monster at most

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

flavor.flv posted:

dude it's portal its not some twitch shooter slash sniping level lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

flavor.flv posted:

the portals auto-align to surfaces and have generous hitboxes and you're rarely asked to place them while moving at speed

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The bits I remember being kind of annoying in Portal 2 are the parts with the paint that makes you slide really fast or something.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Augus posted:

it’s not that hard a game lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I’ve only ever played Portal 2 on console, I completed it with the crappy dual shock 3. It’s easy!!!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Commander Keene posted:

I don't remember ever being allowed to use the whole monster, just carving three or four things off of it before my hunter got bored or whatever and went home :colbert:

hatty posted:

You use 8% of the monster at most

I meant that I press A to carve until I can't anymore, leaving no game-related bonus behind.

Whatever is left is a miserable pile of battle secrets that despawns once you leave the area.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Portal has one difficult shot, in the second to last level when you have to use momentum and hit this distant sloped surface while coming up at high speed. The main difficulty of it is you usually come out of the portal facing the wrong way and have to orient yourself and find the platform in a very short time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It’s easy

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

LuckyCat posted:

I just do that one swirl in the air attack with Insect Glaive over and over until monster dead. I don't get tired of it. I think someone in the thread earlier was complaining about glaive users who do that very thing but lmao idgaf

Which one is that? The normal aerial combo or are you using a Silkbind move?

If aerial I also love being a helicopter and pretending the floor is lava. If it's a Silkbind move I wish to know more because I am so incredibly bad at remembering to use my Silkbind moves.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Browsing through the eshop deals page to see if I want to grab anything new.

Guess I'll play N64 online or something.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
having never played the klonoa games, that ending came as a surprise

this kid's life sucks!

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

I really should get over my completitionist hangups and at least finish Xenoblade 1 and 2 before I get 3 on August for my birthday.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I need to stop reading this thread because I didn't even know Portal was on the drat console until yesterday when y'all were talking about it, and now my backlog is larger

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Oxxidation posted:

this kid's life sucks!

It's a shame these ports are god awful and apparently really bad on Switch, because Klonoa deserves better

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

worms butthole guy posted:

It's a shame these ports are god awful and apparently really bad on Switch, because Klonoa deserves better

i was doing quick comparisons between the remake and the psx original and it looks like a 1:1 translation, the switch's usual performance issues notwithstanding

i do miss that "sprites in 3d environments" style from the original (mostly from Tomba) but it was really a product of its time

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Klonoa 2 got slaughtered. Color changes and more.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

mdemone posted:

I need to stop reading this thread because I didn't even know Portal was on the drat console until yesterday when y'all were talking about it, and now my backlog is larger

But everyone also mentioned it a week and a half ago when it was released :shrug:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

*checks*

ooh, that's bad

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

God awful?

They have what look to be the same models, they run full native resolution, nothing takes more than ten seconds or so to load. The framerate is the problem. It runs between 50 and 60 but really stuttery. It's a high but inconsistent framerate, would be a lot better if they just locked it a little lower. Certainly not God awful though.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Is Klonoa 2 still buggy in PCSX2? I’ve only ever owned a PS2 part time and emulating it was a nightmare when I tried it, so I appreciate being able to play it even if it’s worse in ways I won’t notice

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Never even played the original so I probably wouldn't notice. The Klonoa remakes are definitely on my list but I have enough games to get through at the moment.

I rented Klonoa 1 when I was a child but I never managed to beat it. Kept dying on the final boss, so I never got to see the ending. I loved it though. Very charming game!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

BisterdDave posted:

Browsing through the eshop deals page to see if I want to grab anything new.

Guess I'll play N64 online or something.

Sometimes I’m like “I dunno what to play” and I end up playing a bunch of snes and n64 games

Sometimes I go back through my downloads list and find “new” stuff to play again as well lol

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Morter posted:

How are the loading times on Divinity Original Sin 2? I love tactical-y games if it's fun to play. I can wait until a sale.

I just loaded it up to confirm and the initial load to start the game or load a save is pretty long, but once you're in, you're in. Fast travel between locations in an act is instantaneous (and acts are long, like you'll spend dozens of hours in them).

I need to get back to it. I was in the middle of Act 2 and took a break to play some lighter stuff, then distracted by Pokemon Arceus, then started a new Fire Emblem Three Houses play through, and just remembered I have Divinity to get back to as well. I need to get Sunbreak too. I need to take a vacation just to play games.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Okay I've come around on MLB The Show 22 (tm)

Pitching is super fun. I'm in the first week in May and Ohtani has 85 K's

Batting still sucks because I'm early on everything and I have no plate discipline.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Tender Bender posted:

I need to take a vacation just to play games.

Thankfully I have off for the next 6 days. It's party time :dance:

Speaking of Sunbreak, this is one of my most satisfying kills in my MonHun career. Turn the sound on.

https://i.imgur.com/w7W1vfy.mp4

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

Klonoa 1 is fine on Switch, haven't started 2 yet

Oxxidation posted:

this kid's life sucks!

Yeah I beat it last night and was like :whoptc:

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
After around 500 hours in various monster hunter games, I used armor drug / mega armor drug for the first time ever and holy poo poo

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to need to craft any new armor after all. A single drink seems to last most of the hunt!! Next I got to see what's up with this demon drug, both need to be a staple in my loadout because jesus

Makes me wonder what other ridiculously useful items I'm missing out on. I do use barrel bombs etc. But for the most part my loadout is pretty standard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

KingSlime posted:

After around 500 hours in various monster hunter games, I used armor drug / mega armor drug for the first time ever and holy poo poo

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to need to craft any new armor after all. A single drink seems to last most of the hunt!! Next I got to see what's up with this demon drug, both need to be a staple in my loadout because jesus

Makes me wonder what other ridiculously useful items I'm missing out on. I do use barrel bombs etc. But for the most part my loadout is pretty standard

I’m pretty sure they actually last until you faint in Rise