Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I always get End of Days and Stigmata mixed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

ruddiger posted:

I always get End of Days and Stigmata mixed up.

They came out around the same time, both have Gabriel Byrne in them and they're both really bad so it's understandable.

Lol, IMFDB trivia is great. "End of Days was the big screen debut of the Glock 34. Arnold Schwarzenegger is famously a fan of glocks and regularly uses them in his movies"

Doctor_Acula
May 24, 2011
I'm hoping someone in here can help me.

A few days ago I saw a clip on like Facebook or TikTok of a clip from some foreign action movie. It was a car crash that dropped into slow motion, and as the guy was ejected from his vehicle he grabbed a rifle and shot another car and it did like 17 barrel rolls off the road.

You'd think something that hyper-specific would be easy to find but I'm coming up empty after like an hour.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Doctor_Acula posted:

I'm hoping someone in here can help me.

A few days ago I saw a clip on like Facebook or TikTok of a clip from some foreign action movie. It was a car crash that dropped into slow motion, and as the guy was ejected from his vehicle he grabbed a rifle and shot another car and it did like 17 barrel rolls off the road.

You'd think something that hyper-specific would be easy to find but I'm coming up empty after like an hour.

That's from RRR, it's the only action scene ray stevenson does

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Jul 8, 2022

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

And it loving rules. Probably the only dodgy effect besides that one tiger close-up during Bheem's wolf trap chase.

All the more endearing imo. Pretty sure I like the movie more for the insano car flip and subsequent tree impalation

e- last week had a bunch of people over for RRR, everyone had a blast

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

forest spirit posted:

And it loving rules. Probably the only dodgy effect besides that one tiger close-up during Bheem's wolf trap chase.

That and Bheem's six pack.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

forest spirit posted:

All the more endearing imo. Pretty sure I like the movie more for the insano car flip and subsequent tree impalation

e- last week had a bunch of people over for RRR, everyone had a blast

a lot of the cgi is "dodgy" but who gives a poo poo. the problem with that scene is it's like they cut several frames out of the flip, the car just fucken teleports.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The CGI isn’t hyper realistic but it’s still good

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
A lot of the Indian action stuff I've seen, the CG can be iffy in individual shots, but they go so inventively loving bananas with it in the sequence as a whole that it doesn't matter. They apply Hollywood's "you've never seen this done before" attitude not to just a single VFX shot, but the entire concept of a scene. "Everyone forms their shields into a ball and they're fired over the battlements by a catapult to split apart on landing and start killing dudes? Sure, why not!"

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

a lot of the cgi is "dodgy" but who gives a poo poo.

I certainly don't, if that's what you mean, I'm 100% here for the juicy melodrama, ballads, and plans being made wordlessly and executed perfectly, not for cgi

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

forest spirit posted:

I certainly don't, if that's what you mean, I'm 100% here for the juicy melodrama, ballads, and plans being made wordlessly and executed perfectly, not for cgi

oh no, i just mean i wouldn't say those are the only fake/cartoony looking effects but i don't see that as any kind of problem. the car crash is the only thing in the movie that i think just looks bad

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

gotcha.

bad special effects don't phase me these days unless there is no imagination/heart behind the production. it's a 'you know it when you see it' type feeling

RRR is a movie lacking in absolutely nothing. There are a bunch of small things that are signposted early on in the film, and the amount of fire+water imagery with Raju and Bheem is nuts at how. consistent. they. are. at establishing the elemental imagery.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Of all the action films containing shonky CGI, RRR is probably not one I'd pick on considering y'know, it's an Indian production and so wildly ambitious in a lot of places.

There was one bit at the start with the tiger stalking under trees with bright sunlight breaking through which looked very good. I think like every Western CG house though they trip up in the same places. Thing is though RRR is so wildly entertaining compared to those huge budget Western films I honestly don't care anywhere near as much.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

RRR owns and is a great example of how good or bad CGI are ultimately pretty irrelevant to the quality of the movie, outside of the real extremes on the bad side. Some of it is dodgy but the whole movie is done with such confidence and energy that you might think “that looks a little off” but it never intrudes on your enjoyment. The effects are good enough to get the point across, which is all that matters.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Yeah, personally i'm a lot more forgiving of a dodgy CG shot of a dude backflipping out of an exploding car than the MCU inexplicably CGIng a dude standing in the street and somehow loving it up.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Watched The Princess on Hulu last night after seeing OutlawVern give it a positive review. It's pretty good and worth a go! Does it have some dodgy CGI, shamelessly rip off other action movies, and does the lead occasionally look like she's hitting her marks instead of actually fighting (as most actors who haven't grown up doing martial arts for a decade or more do, and even some who do)? Yes! But what it does have is a lot of "verve", this was clearly a group that decided to have a lot of fun with the idea and run through an entire book of action gags, a lot of which are pretty original! Also, the conceit that the titular Princess keeps winning because the guards have to capture her alive and underestimate her was pretty smart, but they sort of throw it away at the end and just make her flat-out superhuman which is too bad.

Plus, in one of my absolute favorite choices, every guard speaks in "guard voice". You know exactly what this voice sounds like, if you've ever played a live action RPG your gamemaster has used guard voice at some point for some mook guard and that's exactly what happened here. So, kudos to the Princess for wearing its Raid influence on its sleeve, being a good time, and having good action, and for the lead working super hard and totally committing to the role and work, she cartwheels, flips, and throws herself around like a champ. I figure if she had another 6 months and a bigger budget for more takes and training they might have beat ol' Keanu at his own game.

A thumbs up from me.

This was good cheesy fun. It could've done with more blood, but I imagine they wanted to keep the rating down or whatever.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Plus, in one of my absolute favorite choices, every guard speaks in "guard voice". You know exactly what this voice sounds like, if you've ever played a live action RPG your gamemaster has used guard voice at some point for some mook guard and that's exactly what happened here.

I had just seen this tweet a few minutes before reading your post, and couldn’t resist

https://twitter.com/rderekp/status/1545359340680388610?s=21&t=pGmq8pLpCLw0OOPSHfKsTg

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

A pitch for an action movie.

Ivan Drago is Ukrainian and was banished there after the events of Rocky IV. After Creed 2, he's again on the outs with the Russians.

How about a movie where he takes up arms against the Russian invasion of Ukraine?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Scuffy_1989 posted:

Ivan Drago is Ukrainian and was banished there after the events of Rocky IV. After Creed 2, he's again on the outs with the Russians.

How about a movie where he takes up arms against the Russian invasion of Ukraine?

lmao what is this

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sounds pretty good! Gotta love pitches and forgotten scripts. I loved that Commando 2 script that was floating around the net years ago, a friend of mine actually did an audio read of it for fun.

And I always get a kick out of hearing about Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian, that sounded classic.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Scuffy_1989 posted:

this is pathetic

you a rereg or what

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

I don't see what's so weird about it. There are literally former boxers in Ukraine fighting against the Russians, it's topical, and not really any different than Rambo 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu0XAcYCoSk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d79rc33AbtY

Scuffy_1989 fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 13, 2022

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

You're talking about making war propaganda for an ongoing armed conflict.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Speaking of which, may I recommend Nine Men (1943), a tough little war picture about a siege in north Africa, like a smaller scale version of the Bogart flick Sahara from the same year.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

It blew my mind that they were making musical comedies about the lighter side of World War II as the Battle of the Bulge was ongoing.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Why would you pitch a bunch of random strangers on an obscure internet forum your lovely lib action movie idea?

Scuffy_1989
Jul 3, 2022

Why would you pitch a bunch of random strangers on an obscure internet forum your lovely lib action movie idea?

Because this is the action movie thread?

I just thought it was a fun idea. In Rocky IV Rocky defeats Communism with boxing. The Russians who have invaded Ukraine aren't shy about flying the Soviet Hammer and Sickle so it seems pertinent.

As far as an action movie being propaganda, yeah, and?

How many movies did they make in WWII on all sides? Korea, Vietnam?

The Russians did a good job ripping off every US Vietnam movie from the 80s when they made "9th Company."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1I73nhdHrE&t=3718s

Scuffy_1989 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jul 13, 2022

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Scuffy_1989 posted:

I already saw this movie and Jean Claude kills him via a shotgun blast down a pipe . It's pretty cool

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Scuffy_1989 posted:

Because this is the action movie thread?

Pretty sure this thread is mostly for movies that already exist, op

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

There's a limit to how much cringe you can post

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
Getting things back on track, watched the Terminal List the past couple days. It's surprisingly boring most of the time but has some pretty decent actions scenes. The main issue is Chris Pratt is really uneven throughout. He really isn't the best actor and can't carry some of the more emotional scenes at all but does well in the action scenes.

The show also is constantly screaming "look, we had special forces help make this," since there are just nonstop nods to the gear/culture and it gets a bit much at times.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

B-Rock452 posted:

Getting things back on track, watched the Terminal List the past couple days. It's surprisingly boring most of the time but has some pretty decent actions scenes. The main issue is Chris Pratt is really uneven throughout. He really isn't the best actor and can't carry some of the more emotional scenes at all but does well in the action scenes.

The show also is constantly screaming "look, we had special forces help make this," since there are just nonstop nods to the gear/culture and it gets a bit much at times.

It's also extremely grey. Like, the greyest thing you've ever seen even if you've seen the Winter Soldier.

I watched two episodes and I do hope the action gets better. The initial gunfight was so confusingly shot and edited that I didn't realise a) that the whole team had been killed and b) the recording had been faked. It got off to a very rough start.

I also have no idea why you make Pratt the lead while Taylor Kitsch is standing right there and is better in literally every imaginable way. Then again, Pratt emoting as hard as he can at the end of the first episode is extremely funny

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
He gets better later in the series when he starts to be more of an avenging rear end in a top hat but any other time he has to act it just doesn't work.

The action does get better, episode 4 has a really nice set piece with really good tactics used throughout and Pratt does actually move like someone with special forces training. Last episode is also pretty decent but getting there kind of sucks since the show is continually telling you how badass Pratt is (seriously every episode has someone going off on how great he is) so there is literally no tension until the last episode

GoodyTwoShoes
Oct 26, 2013
I tried watching The Wandering Earth, but had to quit before I tracked down the actress and/or voice actress who got stuck with the Kid Who Won't Shut Up role and did something permanent to her/them. [Insert rant about Kids These Days or Movie Children, as desired.]

On a different note, is there a special, secret way to make Netflix stop giving me the exact same set of movies to choose from, no matter how many I've rated as "not for me"? Or that I've already watched and rated as "really good"?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

I also have no idea why you make Pratt the lead while Taylor Kitsch is standing right there and is better in literally every imaginable way. Then again, Pratt emoting as hard as he can at the end of the first episode is extremely funny

It's just a marketing thing. Right now Pratt is still an A-lister and Taylor Kitsch has fully transitioned into that next career phase where he's a reliable supporting guy.

Anyway I thought the series was fine but it suffered from something that a lot of these type of stories do where there's this really good and compelling villain(Jai Courtney), but for whatever reason it's written so that the more compelling villain ends up just being a middle-man who is taken care of half-way through and you end up with a much lesser villain for the whole second half.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

It's just a marketing thing. Right now Pratt is still an A-lister and Taylor Kitsch has fully transitioned into that next career phase where he's a reliable supporting guy.

Anyway I thought the series was fine but it suffered from something that a lot of these type of stories do where there's this really good and compelling villain(Jai Courtney), but for whatever reason it's written so that the more compelling villain ends up just being a middle-man who is taken care of half-way through and you end up with a much lesser villain for the whole second half.

Chris Pratt turning into an a-lister is such a loving incomprehensible thing to me. His big hits were an ensemble and a beloved franchise and somehow this means he gets the 'stick him in eveything' treatment. He's not had a single non-franchise hit and his highest grossing role outside of Marvel/Jurassic Park/Lego is his supporting role in Wanted in 2008. I get that Hollywood has no idea how to pick or build leading men anymore, but Pratt is weak even by those standards.

Also, on the villain thing, wow, really? That's loving hilarious. Seriously, for a pretty average show, Horn got an s-tier character introduction, doing a badass room clearing then then getting mad at his team for not being good enough, then transitioning into being a CEO. It's not quite a kung fu movie villain level of flair but it's got the right spirit.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
It's something that happens when you star in back to back hits the level of a Guardians of the Galaxy and Jurassic World. A career can coast a pretty long way on something like that. Those were also both films that had different challenges than you might think if you just say "franchise", and he definitely got more credit for their success because of that. Guardians was an MCU film but it was obviously a risk at the time and not a property that fans had any particular appetite for up to that point. Jurassic Park 3 made 300ish million, Jurassic World came along more than a decade later and made 1.5 billion.

So it's just one of those things, there were definitely a ton of different guys who could've done what he did given that opportunity but he was there at the right moment and took advantage of it.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Basebf555 posted:

It's something that happens when you star in back to back hits the level of a Guardians of the Galaxy and Jurassic World. A career can coast a pretty long way on something like that. Those were also both films that had different challenges than you might think if you just say "franchise", and he definitely got more credit for their success because of that. Guardians was an MCU film but it was obviously a risk at the time and not a property that fans had any particular appetite for up to that point. Jurassic Park 3 made 300ish million, Jurassic World came along more than a decade later and made 1.5 billion.

So it's just one of those things, there were definitely a ton of different guys who could've done what he did given that opportunity but he was there at the right moment and took advantage of it.

Sam Worthington was in the highest grossing films of all time and we, collectively as a culture, rightfully realised that he wasn't the reason Avatar did so well. It'd be weird if he was somehow still considered a-list in 2017, yet here we are, 8 years after anyone should have a strong opinion on Chris Pratt either way.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Pratt fundamentally doesn’t seem to get what made him more compelling in Guardians and Parks and Rec, or he does and would rather just turn in bad performances miscast as a badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Snowman_McK posted:

Sam Worthington was in the highest grossing films of all time and we, collectively as a culture, rightfully realised that he wasn't the reason Avatar did so well. It'd be weird if he was somehow still considered a-list in 2017, yet here we are, 8 years after anyone should have a strong opinion on Chris Pratt either way.

I think Worthington has Cameron to blame for that one. If he'd been in a whole trilogy of Avatar films that all made huge money his career would've taken twice as long to fizzle out.