Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
She forgot to clarify the most important question in 13 Sentinels: which Juro are we talking about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

MachuPikacchu posted:

So Megumi got exactly what she wanted: Juro Kurabe has the memories of Juro Izumi. It's like a monkey's paw made of nanomachines.

It's Like a Monkey's Paw Made of Nanomachines: Let's Play 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Music: Voyage To Tomorrow (Hitoshi Sakimoto)

Chapter 96: Destruction 11

Another Destruction update, joy.

Juro. Kurabe.

Let’s just jump right in.

Well, except… we can’t, actually! Tomi’s on Brain Overload, so we can’t fulfill the bonus objectives. Time to do some offscreen fighting to free her up!

I pick Wave 2-5 because we don’t have an S there yet.

And we get it this time.

Time for some upgrading. Iori upgrades her Shield Emitter from +4 to +8, increasing its lock-on distance and area of effect, and her Sentry Gun from +6 to +8, increasing its power and lock-on distance.

Ryoko upgrades her Shield Emitter from +4 to +8.

I also upgrade Ryoko’s Generator from +0 to +3, leaving us with no Meta-Chips to upgrade anything else.

This should be an acceptable team. Let’s go.

Music: (PHENYLALANINE) (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

Sometimes that’s all it takes, huh…? Just give us some magnets and levers to mess with, and we’re happy.
Huh. Did you forget, Nenji-kun? That was where you proposed to me.

Uhhhhhh

I what?
Yeah. Said you’d protect me forever.
Oh, back in 2nd grade? He said that to me too!

Well, Casanova… Exactly how many girls have you proposed to?

Buuuuuuusted!

Wh—hey, I didn’t mean it like that! Look, it was second grade—I didn’t know poo poo! I just wanted to be a hero! Protect everybody…!
Deimos signatures! They’re coming!
…Perfect. Now I get to prove it.

Aww. :3: Nenji is probably the best character in this game. In a dead heat with Natsuno, if nothing else.

Video: Destruction Wave 3-1

This one wasn’t much to write home about.

I feel bad for saying it, but… it’s kinda hard to focus on being sad when I’m this hungry…

If I could have anything, well… I was hoping I could enjoy hemborger again someday.

Sounds good. Am I still invited to this?
Of course…
…Guess I’d better stay alive, then. Wouldn’t want to miss it.

No damage taken, all right.

Nenji’s Now I’m Mad increases his attack when his HP decreases. I note that it doesn’t say “as HP decreases”, it says “when.” No idea if that’s significant.

Ryoko’s Don’t Underestimate Me slightly recovers her EP when she is attacked.

For Wave 3-2 we need—oh goddammit, Ryoko and Gouto?

Time to play another old one.

Hijiyama’s Pride of Japan increases his defense when his HP decreases.

Yuki’s Too Slow, Buddy! increases the power of her Back Attacks against attacking kaiju. I assume this just means enemies who are in the middle of launching an attack, because it’s phrased a bit confusingly.

All right, back to the front.

We’re going to buy a bunch of Meta-System Upgrades. We’re going to increase our Meta-Skill uses from 2 to the maximum of 4, and we’re also going to buy Power Boost (doubles Attack of Sentinels and Support armaments in range for 15 seconds), Durability Boost (halves damage to Sentinels and support armaments for 30 seconds), and Instant Team Cooldown (immediately allows all allies to take action).

We’re going to upgrade Gouto’s Interceptors from +5 to +8, Flare Torpedo from +0 to +5 and his Shield Matrix from +3 to +5.

We’re also going to upgrade Shu’s Interceptors from +5 to +8.

Upgrade Gouto’s Generator to +2 and Megumi’s to +3.

And upgrade Megumi’s Interceptors from +5 to +6.

Let’s go.

I know we can! I won’t give up… I’ll find a way…

…And I’m not about to let you take the lead.
I won’t lose, either. I’m not scared of them!

Video: Destruction Wave 3-2

This one, on the other hand, was pretty nasty.

No… Just tired, that’s all…

Wait, what?

I fail to see how that’s relevant, Sekigahara… …Yes. For about half a year during middle school. We split before we graduated.
But why…?
I don’t remember…

What a surprise that is.

It was her idea. And so was the breakup, though I couldn’t tell you the reason.
My guess is you were the reason. The point is, stop bothering Ryoko-san.
Ei-kun…

Natsuno’s Gotta Stay Positive! gives her a bigger stat increase the more kaiju there are.

Unfortunately, we did not manage to get the S-rank.

Let’s do one more.

I upgrade Ei’s Limiter Removal from +5 to +8 and his Anti-Air Defensive Flares from +3 to +8. Now we’ll get a lot more flares when we use the latter move.

I increase Iori’s Generator to +2.

I then buy her the Plasma Arc Fusion Cutter, swap it in for the Guardian, and upgrade it to +5, increasing its POW and decreasing its WT.

Once more.

Oops. Wonder whose fault that is.

What…? Oh no…
We’re lucky to be alive ourselves…
I see… You’re right. Anything could happen… Ei-kun, when this fight’s over… Let’s go somewhere, okay? Just the two of us? We can go on your motorcycle, take a beach trip, or… or anything you want. Even if we get reborn as totally different people… I’d still find you again, Ei-kun. So…

Video: Destruction Wave 3-3

Again, this one’s not too bad.

But I guess it goes to show. If we think tactically with Guardians and EMPs, we’ll gain more ground than just by attacking.

Oops, still calling him “Izumi”, I see.

……
…Good point, Shinonome-senpai. We need all the offense we can muster, so we can’t waste it shooting down missiles. Okay… We can’t afford to lose this…

Iori’s the first to unlock her final pilot skill, in this case Lend Me Strength. It increases her WT recover speed when she summons weaponry.

That’s a lot of Mystery Points.

Let’s spend them.

We still have 14 Mystery Points and nothing left to spend them on. We’ll see what else we can do with them eventually. But for now, that’s all for this one.

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 22, 2022

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Arist posted:

Yuki’s Too Slow, Buddy! Increased the power of her Back Attacks against attacking kaiju. I assume this just means enemies who are in the middle of launching an attack, because it’s phrased a bit confusingly.
given the context i'd guess the original intentionally references the stock line in shonen action mangs that gets paired with the visual metaphor to emphasize outmaneuvered=outsmarted ["what ho! i'm standing right behind you!"]

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Still working on the next update, but I did get the recap up-to-date:

Arist posted:

:siren: DO NOT READ THIS POST IF YOU ARE NOT CAUGHT UP ON THE LP :siren:

The Story So Far (Updated to Chapter 95)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 97: Shu Amiguchi 7 (FINAL)

Let’s finish off this human-shaped sack of animated slime’s story so we can have it out of the way.

Shu drops his schoolbag on the ground.

At this rate… They could just take me away, and nobody would ever know…

Looks like we won’t be talking to Miyuki…

Consider Yuki Takamiya

(So she was watching me this whole time? On behalf of that shady outfit? Is that why she approached me at all? Yuki-chan…)

(I’m the one who approached her. And she has to keep an eye on me?)

Consider Yuki Takamiya

(So she’s been monitoring me this whole time? She’s actually some secret-service government spy? That’s crazy… Also, not gonna lie, weirdly hot.)

I see Shu has his priorities in order, as ever.

Music: The Chills (Yoshimi Kudo)

Oh, there she is.

He’s going to try to have me eliminated.
What?

There’s so much I still don’t get here. I need a real explanation.
I know. But I had to hack my way in to reach you. My connection won’t last long…

Use Tetsuya Ida on Miyuki Inaba

You mean Tetsuya Ida?
Yes.
Why is he after you?
Because I’m helping you. I was right. He’s trying to reset Project Ark.
He wants to reset it? …What would that do?
The world would be destroyed by kaiju. Everything will be gone. They want to start over… They want to restart this world from the beginning. They’ve done it before. And a reset means you would be erased, too.

You’ve already seen them…
…… You mean those things in my dreams?
The Sentinels were built to fight those kaiju. To defend the world you call home.

Use Outer Walls on Miyuki Inaba

That means we’re in some huge spaceship, right?
……
Why does all of this exist? Why cover up the truth?
There is a supercomputer hidden below your town. We call it Universal Control. It has led you to believe you live in Japan, in a certain historical era.
Why?
Possibly to make your lives easier. Possibly to make you easier to manage. Even I couldn’t tell you the real reason.

You still don’t know who I am? You and I have met many times in your dreams…

Here it comes.

Use Miyuki Inaba on Miyuki Inaba

Yes… and no. Miyuki Inaba is a disguise. You should know what my real name is… Please, give it some more thought…

Use Yuki Takamiya on Miyuki Inaba

…Miyuki? Oho! Are you… Yuki-chan?
No… I’m not Yuki-chan. Shu-kun… You really don’t know? We’ve met in your dreams. Please think a little harder…

Use Tetsuya Ida on Miyuki Inaba

You’re not Tetsuya Ida, are you?
Uh… You… might be overthinking this…

Ha!

Shu-kun, please… We don’t have much time… Please, give it some more thought…

All right, let’s get to the real answer, which I’m sure a few of you keen readers managed to guess already:

Use Tomi Kisaragi on Miyuki Inaba

You don’t mean… you’re…

Music: Staring Into The Void (Yoshimi Kudo)

You finally realized… This is how I got past Universal Control. I sang on an inconspicuous broadcast, with all my heart… Just like I used to.

But a different Tomi Kisaragi from the one in your world. I’m not human anymore. Just data on a computer.

Like Morimura, then…?

But that’s exactly how I can still help you.

Consider Miyuki Inaba

(She’s been reaching out to me… Using my TV set to break through the walls that separate us. She’s the Tomi Kisaragi I saw in my dreams… The Tomi Kisaragi who has no body left… Just a mind inside a machine.)

He’s at Sector 3’s terminal. Help me, Shu-kun. If we don’t stop him, he’ll erase me.
What should I do…?
Inside the outer walls…

I can already tell this is gonna be a huge mess… No, no… A girl has asked for my help! I can’t just run away from this. I’ll go. And I’ll figure out the rest when I get there.

Onward to adventure!!!!!

Music: Hard Pill to Swallow (Kikuchi Yukinori)

…Or not.

Shinonome-senpai…?

I broke the lock.
With that gun?
There was an agent, too. I put him to sleep.

Are you with this shady spy bureau, too?
Yes.

Look at this putz trying to lay on the charm. Ugh.

I need your Sentinel.
My Sentinel?
Call it here.
…That’s a thing I can do? I have no idea how.

But I’ve got something I need to do.
You want me to shoot you?

Sounds like we’re on the same side.

Yeah… That’s where the Sentinel’s hidden. …Apparently.
That’s some Sentinel… It must weigh hundreds of tons. How does it fly in the air…? But what I really don’t understand… is how you controlled it without any problems. Piloting a Sentinel damages you. Like what happened to me. So most people can’t operate them.
What? You mean piloting a Sentinel did all that stuff to you? …You know, it’s not too late to turn back…
It is too late.
Easy, I’m kidding. I’m not gonna give up now. A girl’s in trouble. You know where you’re going, don’t you, Senpai?
There are two terminals that have been analyzed so far. Sector 1 and Sector 3. But we can only get into one of them. That’d be the terminal in Sector 3.
Not really sure I’m following here…
Mr. Ida was supposed to take me with him. But he took Takamiya-san instead…
Yuki-chan!? What’s he planning with Yuki-chan?

Oh boy, more of this one-sided infatuation.

He needed biometric ID from one of us. It’s the only way he can access the terminal. But now he’s put the gate into lockdown. That means a Sentinel’s the only way to shift in.

Are you okay…?
What is this place?

Music: Who D-Unit (Yoshimi Kudo)

It’s a… spaceship? What are you talking about…?

Get with the program, Ryoko!

Oh, whoa, uh…

It’s a long story…

I would really like more of characters struggling to explain their own gonzo reveals to each other. I find it very amusing.

This doesn’t make sense. How could there be a facility like this in a tunnel…?
I dunno how, but there is.

Shu just giving up on explaining things, I see.

The one I saw at the park…
Miyuki Inaba hid it here.

Well… Activate it.
Yeah, but how?
How did you do it before?
I dunno… It just kinda happened.
…… What about your activation switch? You should have one somewhere on your body.
A switch?
Where nanomachines were shot into you. That’s where code was injected into your system. So that should be where your switch is…
……

Out of context, very funny line.

I think she got me…

Swipe across it. See if that starts things up.
Here goes nothing.

Activate Sentinel

Music: To the Final Battle (Yoshimi Kudo)

So yeah, I’m in. But for something so big, well… This cockpit looks like a single-seater.
If it shares design elements from No. 14… There should be a maintenance hatch somewhere. From there, I could set the shift destination.
Okay, let me look…

Where is it?
In the back.

Now you just need to confirm it.
Okay. Here we go! This thing better not let us down.

It’s like a world after an apocalypse…

No, it’s in ruins, but… that is our city….

What you’re looking at is Sector 3…
Okay… So there really is more than one enclosure…
It’s down there. The bottom of that hole is the terminal.
Looks like we’ll fit right through… I guess we’re going down.

Consider Miyuki Inaba

(Miyuki Inaba needs my help. I have to stop Ida somehow. Or else… he’s going to erase her.)

Consider Yuki Takamiya

(It doesn’t matter. I don’t care what group Yuki-chan’s wrapped up in. I’m going to save her.)

Aww, how sweet, I guess.

Music: Bleak Pressure (Kikuchi Yukinori)

I suppose this is because I chose Takamiya-kun over you. Those emotional impulses of yours… really do try my patience.
That’s not why, Mr. Ida.
…!

So it is you, after all…

Use Tetsuya Ida

I know about you. I’ve seen a lot of your past.

She’s still transplanting memories, then. Well, I know you, too. Perhaps better than anyone else could. After all, I’ve known you all your life… Ever since I dropped you off as a newborn.
Dropped me off?

Then… you’re saying…?

I’m almost finished here. Just stay quiet for a moment more.

Use Yuki Takamiya on Tetsuya Ida

Let her go!
I’m afraid she’s a vital part of the process. I need her biometrics to access the computer.

There’s something very funny about this sentence to me. “I need her DNA to get on the computer!”

You should know this is partly your fault. Up until now… I had simply been borrowing your ID. But then you had to go and access your Sentinel. Which means authorization has been restored to you.

Consider Miyuki Inaba

(Oh… Miyuki Inaba said something about this. She said she knew me through my ID… Probably because he’s the one she was trying to track.)

Don’t worry. We’re gonna get you out of this.
Amiguchi…

What!? You’ve had like four interactions with her and by all indications she hates your guts!

You know, under any other circumstances, it’d be fascinating. Genetically identical, but our experiences made us very different people indeed. A shame. There is nothing you can do to change this.

*gasps*

So here you are at last. Your singing gave you away. I recognized it instantly. I’m still your biggest fan, believe it or not.
Ida-kun, please. Think this over…

This is a mistake.
I’m afraid you’re the one who’s mistaken. It’s too late. This place will be gone soon enough, anyway. Or do you have some other option to share?
…… Even if I did… You wouldn’t listen to me. Not the way you are now.

Erase her? Please. I love Tomi Kisaragi.
*gasp*

Goddammit, Ryoko. Get over this douche.

But I do need to silence her, as a precautionary measure.

I don’t need to cut off communications. It doesn’t matter where you are. After all, you’re a Sentinel AI now.

And I happen to have command authorization over the Sentinels. All of them up to No. 19.
That’s impossible… Wait, Ida-kun! I’m in orbit right now… I’m watching this all from the command ship’s computer. And I can see everything… I know what’ll happen to that whole area.

Indeed. A new beginning for you and me.
No, you don’t understand…

Force-shutdown Sentinel No. 16.

She’ll be asleep until all of this is over. That’s the last variable taken care of. I think our work here is done.

The shifter lowers into position.

As will you, Shinonome-kun. Come on… You know you need me.

Music: Cognitive Dissonance (Rikako Watanabe)

Ryoko, no!

What a fuckin’ creep, ugggghhhh. They really are related!

We’re leaving. Collect the equipment.

Back then, all those nights in the lab… You weren’t trying to bring her back. You wanted to remake Kisaragi. The way you wanted her to be. Ida… You think we’re the same person? You’re nothing like me. I’d never use a girl as some tool!

Music: Hard Pill to Swallow (Kikuchi Yukinori)

Dammit…

Hell yeah, Ryoko! Never doubted ya!

Right…

Ah poo poo. On second thought, maybe we shouldn’t have let the girl with severe and debilitating physical and mental trauma handle our only weapon!

Amiguchi!

I suggest you come quietly. Or Amiguchi will suffer the consequences.

……

On it, sir.

Suddenly, Ryoko comes to her senses and begins meddling with the gate!

Did they shift? Yuki…

The sifter lowers into position.

So that’s all set… Then let’s do… this.

The shifter raises again.

*sigh*

You need to take this seriously.
Hey, you wanna do this yourself, be my guest.
Keep it cool. He’s doing fine.

Consider Yuki Takamiya

(Yuki-chan. I promised I’d save her. I’m going after her. No matter what it takes.)

Which means it may be up to us to find our way back home. Probably best to work together for now…
So you guys really have no idea how to work all this stuff?
Our intel suggested it’s just not possible for us. The only ones with clearance and ability are the special minors. But we’ll certainly make an effort.

It’s capable of transporting us across time, correct?
Hell if I know, man. My senpai was the one who set up the time travel. Sure, I can fly the thing… but I’d have no idea how to get us home.

Do they have any real info on how this place works?
Well, it’s a UFO made by scientists of the future. Since before our time… It’s been buried here, deep underground.
Okay, so you’re basically clueless. Sound about right?
*annoyed sigh*

(Dammit… This doesn’t look good. I can’t help Miyuki Inaba… I can’t even go after Yuki-chan.)

Oh, hey Natsuno. What’s up?

Men in black!?

And that’s Shu’s story completed. Kind of an anticlimax, I know.

Tomi has now been unlocked.

And that’s Shu finished. To the board!

We’ve got a few mysteries to remove. “What are the dreams?” has been thoroughly solved at this point, it’s Morimura’s doing. We also remove “Enclosure?” and “Sector 0?” because we’ve gotten pretty thorough answers about those. Finally, I feel satisfied with the resolution of “Alien planet?” as well.

We add a romantic link between Shu and Yuki, ugh.

We also add a black link between Miyuki Inaba and Tomi, because they’re the same person.

That’s all for the board!

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Shu deserved a better ending imo, he really is doing his best - even though by now I think we know what happens to Ida & co after they shifted away.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 98: Yuki Takamiya 7 (FINAL)

…… Forget her. I need to find Nat-chan. I should check with Sekigahara if there’s been any progress.

Consider Erika Aiba

(Erika Aiba… is a robot? Or more accurately… A criminal by the name of Juro Izumi, who has no physical body of his own. He wanted to do something to me. Something that involved shooting me up with nanomachines…)

Consider Tomi Kisaragi

(The Kisaragi involved in the bathroom incident… It was really just a robot built to look like her. Then that robot got damaged, and was disposed of in the old school building. And now, the robot’s brain is in Aiba’s body.)

Consider Natsuno Minami

(How many days has it been since Nat-chan went missing? I was told she’d be able to find food, but… I’m worried about her. I should hurry and get to the old building. Sekigahara is there.)

Consider Old School Building

He said he was gonna be hiding around here… Maybe he’s still looking for her. Or maybe he got caught… ……

Oh, hey, they were just slightly offscreen, but still completely within the range of your vision, presumably!

Music: UNPREDICTABLE (Yoshimi Kudo)

The nanomachine separation inside the brain is progressing.
What does that mean?
He is in the same condition as Ryoko Shinonome.
…! Um… Hey…
I still have my memory. I just ran out of my pills…

You were searching for Natsuno Minami. We’ve determined her location. She’s in Sector 3.
What!?
Miura…
It is only speculation. But there is a high probability that she is there.
Okay, great! Let’s go get her! Oh, wait. Sekigahara…

I just needed to tell you. Besides… The black suits are only after me now. It’d be bad if they think you’re my accomplice. Better to avoid being seen together at all.

Take it with you.
I… don’t know how to use it.
You’ll need it to save Minami.
……
I need to ask you a favor in return. Miura is carrying a message for me. If I were to ever lose my memory… I need you to show me that message.

Myself is just about all I can handle.

Good line, Ei.

I’m sure Shinonome’s medicine is in the nurse’s office. Miura seems to be in a hurry. Please, go with him.

Where is Nat-chan?
Southeast. 3.2 kilometers. There is an unusual concentration of androids.
Great. More of those creepy-rear end robots.
They must have found something.
Something…? You mean Nat-chan?

I won’t fail.

I’m ready. Lead the way.

Music: Emotional Storm (Yoshimi Kudo)

But if I take even one step outside they’ll attack. Ever since I got here… They just keep on coming.

Oh, what should I do?

Suddenly, a flash of light.

An android falls to the ground.

Music: 466f756e64205521 (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

We have to interact with more “Shoot” prompts to shoot these androids. A robust action shooter this is not.

Music: The One (Kikuchi Yukinori)

I’m so glad you’re okay.
Yuki-chan…
I finally found you… You’re safe now, all right?
…I know.

Even if I have to cross time and space to do it.

You came back for me!
Of course.

There are four androids approaching.

Another anticlimax, but a sweet one.

Natsuno is now available to unlock.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Podima posted:

Shu deserved a better ending imo, he really is doing his best - even though by now I think we know what happens to Ida & co after they shifted away.

Anything Shu gets is better than he deserves, frankly. He's by far the best version of himself, but boy is that not saying much.

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Arist posted:

We also add a black link between Miyuki Inaba and Tomi, because they’re the same person.

That's like saying Juro Izumi is the same person as Juro Izumi. Deliberately missing the point

So that's not the only thing I say here, my wife played this game, then had me play it. Almost immediately I guessed two of the biggest twists right off the bat, leading to immense frustration from said wife. It was quite fun.

Edit to Add: since I looked back and made sure they've been revealed already, what I figured out was that 2188 came first in the timeline and there was no time travel, and also that everything was fake, based on just Miura's comments about recreations and living in the pre-war era in the 2188 flashback from his early chapters. What I wasn't sure of was HOW everything was fake, since I wasn't sure if we were dealing with a Megazone 23 or a Matrix until later on.

Ryushikaze fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Jul 5, 2022

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Arist posted:

I'm not sure it's ever explicitly stated outside of the Event Archive, it's just a thing you're meant to infer. It took me a stupid amount of time to figure out when I first played this, as well.

Also, update incoming.

I checked back to try and work out why I thought this was obvious to me on a first playthrough, because I didn't think I was spoiling anything -

It's something that's more clear if you're actually playing the game. The three 'modes' of the game and their tooltips are:

Remembrance: "Walk along fragments of the past through the eyes of the 13 protagonists."
Destruction: "Control the Sentinels and face the crisis head on."
Analysis: "Look back on the truths revealed so far."

Since the game opens up with Iori in Destruction, that's the 'narrative present', and so the 'past' mentioned in Remembrance is 'everything leading up to Destruction'. At least, that's how I took it early on in my playthrough.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 99: Takatoshi Hijiyama 6

If I’d been there, before my homeland lost everything… If I’d fought in the Sentinel, maybe we’d still have some hope left… According to Okino… that chance is long gone. But he might still know something… I feel so powerless. In the end… All I can do is rely on him. I…

Consider Tsukasa Okino

(…… He’s telling me about all these things… But even I know this is all over my head. How do I make a difference? Is it even possible…?)

Music: LONER (Azusa Chiba)

Where is Okino?

Another day of wandering around campus aimlessly! Our first stop is going to be the schoolyard.

It’s all I have to wear.
Do we really have students like you at our school?

Can’t mind his own business…

ABSCOND

That obvious?
What happened?
I looked at the wrong textbook… I was studying for the wrong subject the whole night.
That happens.
And, of course… The teacher just HAD to call on me.
Yikes…
So a total trash fire.

We can head over to the cafeteria, but we don’t have enough money to buy a yakisoba pan to progress. Let’s head to the break area, then.

Oh hey, it’s that cat. Maybe he found some change.

Consider Change

This isn’t what it looks like…!
……

Really, it’s all a misunderstanding…

I guess it wasn’t a misunderstanding at all…

Don’t really understand why that was quite so mortifying, but maybe it’s a cultural thing. Let’s just head back to the schoolyard. We need 50 yen more to afford some delicious yakisoba pan.

Oh hey, it’s Shintaro again!

Consider Change

What, exactly, are you doing?
*annoyed grunt*

Just pretend you’re petting the cat!

What’s got you all nervous?
I just don’t wanna miss this show tonight…
Oh, so that’s it. I was wondering why you’d been missing practice. What’s the show?
…It’s, uh… Midnight Meow Meow.
Uh…
I’m just a big fan, you know? Back 2 Front?
Oh, right… That show with the pop stars.
What? Something wrong with that?
…I mean… it’s FINE, but…

Well, we can’t pick up that money with Gouto loitering around as the loving changecop, so we’ll have to think of something else.

Oh…

Seems like Miwako noticed somethi—Oh, I think I see where this is going…

*sigh* He’s gone…

Aww, poor Miwako. You’re a dick, Gouto.

That’s a lucky find.

Let’s head back to the cafeteria.

Your finest yakisoba pan, please!

Consider Yakisoba Pan

But it’s okay now. Time to dig in…

Enough of that, time to look for Okino. Spoiler alert: he’s back over at the break area.

Yeah. I get it.

Nobody, okay? It’s fine.
……
Oh right, I should probably tell you…

Music: Something’s Fishy (Kikuchi Yukinori)

I’ll be late getting home again tonight.

Where have you been going?
……
Tokisaka Shrine?

Okino presses some money into Hijiyama’s hand.

……

After sundown… I’ll wait for him at Tokisaka Shrine…

Consider Tokisaka Shrine

(No point just sitting around waiting for him… I’ll have to kill time for a while.)

Is that what this money was for? Just a bribe to appease me? *shakes head* …No, I’m getting too worked up about this. drat his “allowance.” I can spend this all right now!

Music: LONER (Azusa Chiba)

Hijiyama’s already snacking down on a yakisoba pan when we return to him. Looks like he bought another.

…Or several.

Eat Yakisoba Pan

Eat Yakisoba Pan

Eat Yakisoba Pan

Hijiyama, you’re a loving machine.

We need a drink to wash that down. Well, three drinks. Hijiyama is very thirsty.

Drink Hey-C

……

Drink Canned Soda

Drink Hi-King

He’s hiding something.

Hijiyama then immediately begins snarfing down another yakisoba pan. How many of those loving things did you buy!?

I need to hurry over to Tokisaka Shrine…

So Hijiyama ate at least five yakisoba pan in a row, probably threw up, then immediately fell asleep in public. Productive day.

The two of them must be long gone by now… probably. Well, no choice… I’ll wait here and confront them when they return.

You remember all that poo poo you’ve put me through? ‘Cause I sure as hell do.

I don’t know how you escaped, but… I see how it is. You came looking for another black eye.

Ogata-kun… Aren’t we here to look for Kisaragi-san?
Meh…

Don’t have time for this.

And that’s your decision to make, huh? Selfish bastard.
The hell are you doing here, anyways?
Tch… I’m looking for Okino.
What happened to him?
This is just what I heard from Sawatari-san… but according to her… Kisaragi-san’s been going out to meet some guy lately.
She WHAT!? Just the two of ‘em!?
Must be that girl from this afternoon…

Got a feelin’ I know where they went, too.
What? How?
Eh… She mentioned somethin’ about it.

Do you know how to work this time travel business?
Uh… Oh. You don’t know either?
……
……

And so, these two idiots find themselves stuck.

……

It’s too hot over here now. Move over there.
Shut it. If it’s so drat stuffy, then you take a hike.

Maybe they didn’t even go today…
Well, Kurabe already went home. But I ain’t leavin’ until I know what’s goin’ on here.
Same here… The way things are… I feel like I don’t know anything anymore.

What kind of relationship do you two have?

Ha, cutting right to the heart of things, eh?

A friend, huh…

(Did he drop it for the sake of getting close to her…? …Maybe you weren’t the person I thought you were, Tsukasa Okino.)

What, is he actually… straight? *shudder*

How could you possibly know that? Nothing’s happened yet.

I know. The access logs confirm you got in. The question is… why didn’t we get a response…?

Ogata? What the heck are you doing here?

Music: BUDDIES (Azusa Chiba)

Ah, shut up.

That’s totally it, right?

Who’d get jealous over you?

You got jealous?

You went to that underground place, right?
W-Well, the androids were all broken anyway…
I mean, heck, if… somethin’ had happened to you…

If there’s a way, then tell me… please.
I understand. I’m doing my best to find the right answer here. I don’t know if it’ll be enough to save everyone, but… It could make a difference, at least. I’ll tell you all I know.

You should all go home.

Oh, come on… I’ll explain everything on the way back.

You got off easy this time, Okino.

Aww… :3:

To where…?
The tower of knowledge. That’s where it all starts.

Music: The Tower of Knowledge (Hitoshi Sakimoto)

There’s a really odd combination of a pan, tilt, and zoom going on here that in conjunction with the entirely 2D assets creates a kind of disorienting effect here. It’s the only time in the game this happens to my recollection.

Or extraterrestrials, potentially.

Use Saucer on Tsukasa Okino

Let’s see…

That’s Ashitaba City in the middle… And 300 meters below the surface, we have… This.

Around 30 km in diameter.
That’s gigantic…

Exactly. The UFO’s also in Sector 5. Which means… It’s also buried there in 1945. The people there disappeared when Deimos came into contact with it… Same as in my time. But there’s only one left still fully functional. And that’s the one in 1985.

1985… Even assuming it’s a parallel world, something isn’t right…

Use 1985 on Tsukasa Okino

40-year gaps, going chronologically backwards. Then why has nothing happened in 1985? Why skip that year, and go straight to my time?
That’s actually pretty sharp, especially for you.
Hey now…
It’s because 1985 is kind of an outlier. Someone in that time has the D-Code control key… In other words, that’d be the one sending commands to the Deimos.

They just went straight to Sector 5. Sector 4 will be the final target on their list. Which means 1985 will be our last line of defense.

Those compatible with the innerlocitor were being gathered in Sector 4.

Well, that certainly explains why there’s so many goddamn teenagers with attitude in 1985 right now.

Use The Kaiju’s Beacon on Tsukasa Okino

Well, you already know the situation. We have no idea who’s actually summoning them. Even then, killing the source would be meaningless. Someone else would just start broadcasting the signal. Anyone implanted with the innerlocitor is a candidate. Any one of them can be the Deimos’ wayfinder.
…So even I might be…?
Yeah. Even you could be the one luring them to us.

Murder everyone who had an innerlocitor. No more signal. He thought that might save the world.
If it meant I could save my homeland… I would gladly give my life.
……

Use Inner-lossiter on Tsukasa Okino

Who modified us with that inner-lossiter? Is… Is that what they wanted? To destroy the world?
Like I said, there’s still a lot we don’t know. Besides which… it’s this UFO that’s abducting people.
……
We don’t know much about the innerlocitor, but… It’s general-use information technology from 2188. It’s got that D-Code sending out commands, but… That’s comparatively a very minor part of its function.
Wait, minor?
That’s the part I don’t get.

Some totally unrelated function. Nothing to do with the D-Code. I tried to find out what function the system’s prioritizing, but… I just… I don’t know. None of this makes sense.

It basically just needs to maintain a link to the person “commanding” the Deimos… and access three locations at regular intervals. One of the access points is the mainframe of the UFO: "Universal Control." Might have to do with the reason people disappear… I'd need more data to know for sure. The second point of access is Sector 1… The automated factories in the year 2105. The factories weren't destroyed when they attacked. They're using them to manufacture more Deimos. That's where the Sentinels were created, too. And the final access point, by my guess… …would be the thing Tomi Kisaragi saw. Some kind of satellite in orbit. And from its databanks… They're pulling blueprint data for the Deimos themselves.

Are we any closer to saving the world?
It's a longshot, but… If I can figure out this UFO, and the orbital contact point… It's possible we can bring back the people who disappeared.
……
But yeah... it feels like… I'm still overlooking something. Something a bit more fundamental…

Hijiyama’s final event is locked, but…

Sweet, Gouto’s finally available after a full 45 updates of being locked. Wait, Gouto’s an rear end in a top hat, scratch that.

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Dec 22, 2022

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

Iconic.

I was playing with my partner, who left the room briefly, then walked back in as I had this screen up. Her immediate reaction was "How did you break him?!"

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

More like Gouto hell, am I right?

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I love that the game puts all of those Yakisoba pans in Hijiyama's thought cloud and makes you click on them one by one. It's such a tiny thing but it simulates the idea of Hijiyama being petulant with Okino's money perfectly.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

confirmed: Hijiyama is pansexual

fatsleepycat
Oct 2, 2021

Alxprit posted:

More like Gouto hell, am I right?

Gouto considered harmful.

Qylvaran
Mar 28, 2010

fatsleepycat posted:

Gouto considered harmful.

:pusheen:

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
I recall seeing a clip before this playthrough of the Japanese voice actors playing through this section and Hijiyama's trying to ape the performance/delivery of snarfing down multiple sandwiches in English. It was... a bit more "sensual" sounding than expected.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Well, let’s see what Gouto has in store for us.

Chapter 100: Renya Gouto 2

…It would appear… I can no longer rely on Shikishima.

Consider Shikishima Industries

(Ms. Morimura's death has left the Shikishima execs in disarray. Now they won't let me spearhead the Sentinel Project. As if I'm just a child. I doubt my opinion will weigh much in their discussions going forward.)

Consider Police Records

(Ms. Morimura… Why did you have to die…?)

Well, now that we’re done sulking, time to hail a cab.

It was yours, Ms. Morimura. There’s no doubt about it.
Is that so…
You don’t seem too shocked about your death.
Well, it didn’t exactly stop me. Here I am, safe and sound.

Gotta say, that was a wild couple of sentences there.

What did the police say?

Use Police Records on Chihiro

No bullet was found in the body. …Though it’s easy to imagine why. The murder weapon was likely from beyond this time. Beyond material bullets. Estimated time of death is approximately 1900 hours. You were witnessed running off somewhere with a short-haired student. According to a pedestrian’s eyewitness account, anyway.
They found a witness? This era’s police really did their due diligence.

Consider Witness Statement

(An acquaintance of Ms. Morimura… Described as a short-haired male in a student uniform… Most likely Ei Sekigahara.)

So… anything helpful in its footage?
The timing couldn’t have been worse. It looks like it was monitoring the government’s movement at the time. So she wasn’t even under surveillance…
I see…
…Any thoughts as to our primary suspect?

Well…

Use Ei Sekigahara on Chihiro

It did seem like something was wrong with Ei Sekigahara’s memories. …I wouldn’t be surprised if he was our murderer.
Though it raises the question of why he’d bother to lure her out. Surely a murderer’s optimal scenario is to avoid being spotted at all.
Well, maybe it wasn’t premeditated. He could’ve killed her by accident.
While he certainly is the type to brood over things… I can say he’s not enough of an idiot to shoot someone on impulse.

That man with that… callsign? Some numerical name?
…Logically speaking… He would naturally be another potential suspect.

Consider 426

(He would naturally be ,another potential suspect. He did attempt to eradicate all the compatibles. He's a dangerous individual. And he's still at large. All that's left of 426 is his consciousness. I don't think I could reliably predict his behavior. He's desperate enough to do anything.)

Use 426 on Chihiro

If Ida-san were here… I’m sure he’d declare 426 our primary suspect.
We know he killed at least four people. That’s why I shot him dead, in the end.

That would give him a chance at revenge. As a motive, it sounds pretty clear-cut.

Barring Ei Sekigahara. Who else could it be?

Consider The Four Victims

(Aside from Ms. Morimura\nand Ida-san… Four others came here for refuge 16 years ago. By the time I'd started assisting Ms. Morimura's efforts… They'd already lost their physical bodies. Fortunately, we were able to use the data stored in Sector 0. This allowed us to meld their replicated consciousness with AI. …As for how they lost their bodies in the first place… Reportedly 426's doing. He destroyed them all in one fell swoop. According to Ida-san's account, anyway. But if No. 16 is to be believed… That's not what really happened. And Ms. Morimura should be aware of that…)

Consider No. 16’s Statement

(I spoke with the pilot of Sentinel No. 16. Back then, she gave Ms. Morimura something nobody else would… The truth.)

Music: STAGNATION (Yoshimi Kudo)

So we decided to stick to the plan… We all headed to the gate to escape. But… there was an explosion while we were shifting.
*gasp*

The Type-98 we were shifting in got attacked. But that's the last thing I remember. After that, nothing.

It wasn’t some plot by 426 after all? Just an explosion…? We never did manage to completely reconstruct your data… I thought it was just that you didn’t get converted in time, but… You were… You were all dead before the shift even happened…

I know you did. You said he sabotaged them, killed them…

That’s not the same thing, dude!

He already tried to kill us all in the past. You know he’d have tried again if we left him alive. Killing him was the right call.

Use The Four Victims on Chihiro

About 426 killing at least four individuals. Do you… really not remember?
Remember what?
You’ve read my files, I presume? I gathered quite a lot of material in the past. Most of it is rather outdated. Including Ida-san’s statement concerning those victims. In other words, your answer is objectively incorrect.
Really… Well, can you blame me? Look at this body I’m stuck with. I’m bound to have some memories confused.

That excuse again?

…No. That’s not what I meant…

Use 426 on Chihiro

What is it?
Regarding 426… Would you say you had any particular feelings toward him?
Feelings? Well, he was certainly a good friend. I felt like he really understood me. Well… used to, anyway. Where’s this coming from?
…That… doesn’t make sense. According to No. 18… or should I say, Tamao-san…

Consider Tamao’s Statement

(I had a hunch about Ms. Morimura’s feelings… And my discussion with Tamao-san only confirmed my suspicions.)

I need to talk to you…
Did something happen?
…It’s about Morimura-san. She’s been transplanting 426’s memories onto Juro-kun… I only just found out.
426? As in the escaped android?
No, not that one. She’s using the memory data of the man himself. It was saved during the shift.
…In other words… She’s trying to use Juro to create another 426?
I did my best to talk her down. She’s letting me handle Juro-kun’s treatment now. Still… I don’t think she’s given up on this.

…Well… I’ve been giving her some advice about it. And I understand where she’s coming from, but… ……

Maybe she always has been. That’s why she wants him back as a human.

True, but… that’s not exactly what she’s remembering. Besides… She’s the one who killed him. That guilt is still eating at her.
……

And try to keep her away from Juro-kun if you can…
I'll… keep that in mind.
…Thank you. I can barely take the idea of one 426, let alone two…
……

Is… Is that what you took away from that conversation?

Use Tamao’s Statement on Chihiro

You aimed to use him to revive 426. Make one a vessel for the other.
……
One reason seems most likely. You harbored romantic feelings for him.
Me? *chuckle* With him? You’re joking. That Chihiro Morimura was mind-hacked, remember? You said so yourself.

Haha… No. God no. Not my cup of tea.

Use Memory Manipulation on Chihiro

That idea was based on a certain piece of evidence I found. One particular log.

If you really are Ms. Morimura, then you should already know. Two years before you were born… Ida-san extracted some information from 426. That in turn led to the discovery of the datalog in question.

You’re about to find out.

Use Future Log on Chihiro

It contains footage from the year 2188. It was found buried in the mainframe data during the analysis of 426.
……
You seemed very disturbed by me seeing that file. So much so, in fact… That you ended up deleting all of your logs. Would you mind telling me why you did that?
I don’t know… I don’t remember.
Well, at the very least, its contents suggested a connection to 426. Or even that he had been manipulating Ms. Morimura. The log contained a very interesting report… Apparently, Juro Izumi downloaded memories onto Chihiro Morimura's clone.

So what does that mean? What are you trying to say? Your Morimura and I are both 426?

Consider Report Log

Music: Double Bind (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

Still, might as well. Not like I have anywhere else to share this.

“Gotta leave some audiologs for the player character to stumble across, because my life is a AAA survival horror game.”

…I was in the middle of a routine bug regression test… And I noticed part of the final phase had been altered. The change was made in Chihiro Morimura’s host. The setting change looks like it’ll trigger a memory overwrite. I don’t know anything about the memories’ contents, but… It says the modifying user was Juro Izumi. Because someone thought it'd be a great idea to give that guy senior admin ID. And at this point... well, what the hell can we do about it? At least now I have proof. You're all hypocrites anyway. Yes, including you, jackass.

I absolutely love the line “You’re all hypocrites anyway. Yes, including you, jackass.” I legitimately have no idea who he’s referring to here (it might just be a generic “whoever finds this is also a jackass”) and I hope there’s no canon answer, it rules. Ida: still a prick in 2188.

So who even cares anymore? None of this matters. We’re all dead anyway. ……

The log ends.

So you deleted it. That’s my theory, anyway.

Use Compatibility on Chihiro

It was the compatibility experiment. The one that produced you. Based off Ms. Morimura’s footage and your own admissions… I’ve completely misjudged the situation. All this time, I believed you were her. But even from the very beginning… you’ve been your own person.
…So what are you saying? I’m not Chihiro Morimura?

…Then who, exactly, do you think I am?

Use Chihiro Morimura on Chihiro

Yeah! …Wait, what?

Uh-oh, Gouto’s broken.

Well, there you have it.

Music: Heated Debate (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

…Oh. poo poo. That one.

Time for the board!

We get rid of “Where is Natsuno Minami?” because we know that. Also I get rid of “What’s the deal with Shikishima?”, despite that having been there for some time now, because in hindsight I don’t think there’s much there to learn, especially that we haven’t already.

We do add a mystery relating to the mysterious process eating up 80 percent of the nanomachines’ output that Okino mentioned, though.

We also add a note to the 2188 section noting that that Professor Chihiro Morimura from 2188 has been uploaded into the body of our Chihiro.

We also add a pink romantic link between Chihiro Morimura and 426. I don’t blame you if you didn’t immediately notice it. The board is a loving mess, y’all.

Here’s the whole thing.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

The long awaited sequel to "Juro Kurabe" starring Juro 'Juro Kurabe' Kurabe...

It's "Chihiro Morimura is actually Chihiro Morimura!" starring Chihiro Morimura as Chihiro, and Chihiro Morimura as Morimura.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
I...okay :psyboom: :psyboom: :psyboom:

SloppyDoughnuts
Apr 9, 2010

I set fire to the rain watched it pour as I touched your face
Can we get a refresher as to what each color of yarn is for?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sure:
  • Black links are for characters who are "the same person" in some fashion. People who share (or at one point shared, at least) the same DNA.
  • Red links are just "these characters have an important relationship in some fashion."
  • Orange links are for important relationships that are a bit less well-defined than red. I had Megumi and Ei linked orange (twice, even) because she attempted to shoot him twice. Also Megumi and Hijiyama because she was his Yakisoba Pan Angel.
  • White links are for relationships that are merely implied and still somewhat dodgy. I only ever had like two of these, but the notable one is Tamao Kurabe and Juro Kurabe, which has been entirely offscreen and isn't shown, but there's clearly something going on there, right?
  • Dark blue links are for people shot with the magical gun. So far, I've only done people who have been explicitly shot onscreen and definitely injected with the nanomachines that 426 prepared to allow the Sentinels to be upgraded, be it at the hands of Megumi or 426. I could probably loosen that a bit and at least link Nenji and Chihiro Morimura, 426 and Yuki, and Megumi and Okino, though.
  • Light blue is a unique link so far, in that it's used for a bond we've only seen once so far: blood-related family, in Yuki and Natsuno being mother and daughter.
  • Yellow is friendships. Simple enough.
  • Pink is for romantic entanglements (heh). Also self-explanatory.
  • Finally, purple is for characters who have murdered other characters/died at another character's hand. I need to link Megumi and 426 this way, now that I think about it (though this latest update kind of confuses that narrative, honestly).
I also had, like, brown yarn that I never used because it didn't show up against the board very well.

Arist fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 10, 2022

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I love this game :allears:

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

One of the top /r/13sentinels posts is just Gouto saying "I took notes."

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Arist posted:

Orange links are for important relationships that are a bit less well-defined than orange.

so... paradoxes due to timeline fuckery and plotholes hastily-plugged with a lame excuse?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

silentsnack posted:

so... paradoxes due to timeline fuckery and plotholes hastily-plugged with a lame excuse?

First, I meant less well-defined than red, oops :v:

Second, it's admittedly a bit vague. The first real orange I remember setting up was Ei and Okino, because Ei was looking for Okino but we didn't know why.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Arist posted:

Sure:
  • Black links are for characters who are "the same person" in some fashion. People who share (or at one point shared, at least) the same DNA.
  • Red links are just "these characters have an important relationship in some fashion."
  • Orange links are for important relationships that are a bit less well-defined than red. I had Megumi and Ei linked orange (twice, even) because she attempted to shoot him twice. Also Megumi and Hijiyama because she was his Yakisoba Pan Angel.
  • White links are for relationships that are merely implied and still somewhat dodgy. I only ever had like two of these, but the notable one is Tamao Kurabe and Juro Kurabe, which has been entirely offscreen and isn't shown, but there's clearly something going on there, right?
  • Dark blue links are for people shot with the magical gun. So far, I've only done people who have been explicitly shot onscreen and definitely injected with the nanomachines that 426 prepared to allow the Sentinels to be upgraded, be it at the hands of Megumi or 426. I could probably loosen that a bit and at least link Nenji and Chihiro Morimura, 426 and Yuki, and Megumi and Okino, though.
  • Light blue is a unique link so far, in that it's used for a bond we've only seen once so far: blood-related family, in Yuki and Natsuno being mother and daughter.
  • Yellow is friendships. Simple enough.
  • Pink is for romantic entanglements (heh). Also self-explanatory.
  • Finally, purple is for characters who have murdered other characters/died at another character's hand. I need to link Megumi and 426 this way, now that I think about it (though this latest update kind of confuses that narrative, honestly).
I also had, like, brown yarn that I never used because it didn't show up against the board very well.

Oh, right, I also forgot the green link, which was between Juro, Megumi, and Miura, for cohabitation :v:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Let’s finish off Ei.

Chapter 101: Ei Sekigahara 7 (FINAL)

This thing’ll stick out if we bring it too close.
Yeah, you’re right… In that case… I’ll lead you the rest of the way. Let’s go.

Consider Yuki Takamiya

(Yuki Takamiya… In order to protect Natsuno Minami… she had no choice but to cooperate with the SIU. She says she knows who issues orders to the black suits. Apparently… it’s Ida.)

Consider Iori Fuyusaka

(Iori Fuyusaka… Despite having lost my memories… she continues to help me with an open heart. I just… I’m not sure how to reciprocate…)

Consider Natsuno Minami

(I gathered some information from Natsuno’s unit. And I came across some interesting details. Apparently, I had accepted a particular job… To assassinate Chihiro Morimura.)

We can get a good view of the SIU building from up there. Wanna go check it out?
Yeah.

Which floor?
Top.
Got it. I’ll take it from here. You’re staying behind.

All you’re going to do is slow me down. Unless you want to take a stray bullet to the head. But I don’t think you do.

I’m not sure who, though. But the orders are coming from the SIU building.
…I thought you said it was Ida.
He’s… dead. I’m pretty sure Shinonome shot him…
…… I suppose I’ll find out when I get there.

Suddenly, a voice emanates from Ei’s pocket.

…I know you’re there. …Pick up.

Examine Communication Device

So you came.

Music: Who D-Unit (Yoshimi Kudo)

You’ve been using the drone to monitor us, haven’t you?
I’m nothing if not thorough. It might interest you to know that I have a guest with me.
……
…Miss Iori Fuyusaka.

drat, poo poo just got real.

Now then. Why don’t you come by so we can talk? And hurry. I’d like to give you a proper welcome.

Let’s hurry.

…Okay, that’s certainly unusual, I’d say.

As is this!

Now.
*frustrated grunt*

Toss Phaser

One wrong move, and I’ll blow her head off.

In a shocking turn of events, the voice on the radio was Ida all along. Well, maybe not so shocking when you actually play the game, because it sounds exactly like him. They didn’t even try to hide it, really. Maybe the shocking part is that he’s a robot now. Yeah, let’s go with that.

You were an android this whole time.
That’s not true. I did die. I simply copied my memories onto this android. …Just in case something were to happen to me.
You plan to perform another loop as an android?
Don’t be a fool. I’ve already saved my data to the evacuation area.
So you’re having the android do the dirty work…
When it comes to making sure I end up in the next world… there’s no one I trust to get the job done more than me.

No. If anything, her existence poses a threat. And as it turns out… you have no intention of keeping our promise.
(smirking) You know I lost my memories. How do you expect me to keep a promise I don’t remember?
…Perhaps this will ring a bell.

The scout unit next to Ida turns on and begins playing a log.

Taken care of anyone standing in your way, I hope? Well, you can relax. Ryoko and I did what we needed on our end. We’ve already backed up your data. Next time, when the world resets… you’ll still have your memories intact. There’s only one thing left for you to do… Obey Tetsuya Ida’s orders. Keep up the good work.
*uncomfortable grunt*

He clearly has no clue what’s going on.
…I see I’m left with no other choice. I’d long anticipated your betrayal. Besides, it’s already too late.

Ida brings the phaser closer to Iori’s head.

*gasp*

…I promise to take very good care of you all. Now you can die in this world with nothing to fear.

……
You get to die first, Sekigahara. So you don’t have to watch—

……
She abandoned the idea of starting over again. And she became obsessed with Operation Aegis. …Don’t you want to know why?

What could you possibly know about Morimura’s motives? You don’t even remember who you are.

Use Memories on Tetsuya Ida

I received Miura back in Sector 3. You’re the one who gave him to me. And I remember recording the footage you just played, too.
……
I made sure to back up all my memories. Now, I remember everything…

Ah, so you just totally lied about not remembering, I see.

Music: Ennui Vibes (Yoshimi Kudo)

Ei’s head is pounding.

Are you okay?
No…

Ei’s head is pounding.

The black suits are monitoring major streets.
We’re completely surrounded.

Ei’s head is pounding.

Consider Operation Aegis

(We can utilize Operation Aegis to protect this world. If we do, we’ll be able to survive even if we fail. Though we won’t have much of a world left…)

Ei’s head is pounding.

Examine Cryptic Note

(I don’t have much time left… That’s why I left myself a message. I’ll be able to check it using the message service.)

Ei’s head is pounding.

Examine Empty Pill Bottle

(“Oral NM: C0204” is printed on the label. The bottle’s made of plastic. There’s nothing inside.)

Ei’s head is pounding.

Have you taken your pills?

Ei’s head is pounding.

They weren’t even helping, anyway…

Ei’s head is pounding.

*sigh*

Ei drops the pill bottle on the ground. Littering is bad, kids.

I don’t know how much longer I can deal with this…

Ei’s head is pounding.

……

Use Cryptic Note on Chihiro Morimura

…I imagine I’ll come to you for help. When that time comes, give this to me.

Ei’s head is pounding.

They’re for the message service. I used the one from this era.
…Understood.

Ei’s head is pounding.

Use Operation Aegis on Chihiro Morimura

…All the terminals will be sealed. Then the city will be cut off from Universal Control. There won’t be any hope of restoring order at that point. That’s why everyone disappears. We need to keep at least some of the terminals open…

Ei’s head is pounding.

We can’t. The enemy will target any open terminals.
Then what? We give up on this world and try again next time?
I’m afraid that isn’t an option, either. …There won’t be a next time.

Ei’s head is pounding.

…Satellite?

Ei’s head is pounding.

It’s not from this world. There’s a satellite orbiting the real world. From it, I learned more about the mechanics of this world. And it turns out we don’t get as many tries as we want. The stability of this area is at its breaking point. We can’t fail again. If we do, the entire facility will be reset. And Sector 0 will be lost…

Ei’s head is pounding.

That includes Sector 0.

Ei’s head is pounding.

Use Sector 0 on Chihiro Morimura

I know I’ve heard of it before…

Oh god, we’re losing Ei.

Seems like your symptoms are becoming more severe… All right, listen well.

Ei’s head is pounding.

As you know, there are five different sectors. However, there exists one more unique sector. It doesn’t take up any space, and there’s no interior to see. That’s Sector 0. It’s an evacuation site that’s unaffected by loops. Normally, you can send your data there using the shifter. That’s what allows you to continue if the world resets.

Ei’s head is pounding.

That’s right… Ida did say that was the way to escape to the next world.
Yes, but this time… Sector 0 will cease to exist as well. We won’t be able to loop again. This is our last chance.

Ei’s head is pounding.

If the Aegis System is activated, yes. We’ll still be here. Though we’ll be left behind in a world of chaos… ……

Ei’s head is pounding.

Why keep it all a secret?
Because…

Ei’s head is pounding.

Use Log of Another World on Chihiro Morimura

…… Tell me… Why did you erase the logs?

Ei’s head is pounding.

I couldn’t let anyone find out about them. ……

Ei’s head is pounding.

The Earth is a very different place. …Do you want to know what happens?

Ei’s head is pounding.

I’ve already done my research on you. You’re the one who was hired to kill me. In case you couldn’t tell, there isn’t much left of humanity. Just the ten people in this little colony.

Down to ten, huh?

It’s a bit fruitless to kill for money at this point… Don’t you think?
…… I’ve done my research on you as well. And I’m very thorough when I research my targets. There’s nothing you can hide from me.
How menacing of you. Intimidate me all you want, but you’re not leaving that room.
Professor Chihiro Morimura… In order to raise research funds for Project Ark… you partnered with several questionable organizations. You then sold nanotechnology on the black market. And thatThat’s the source of the nanomachine infection on the surface.
…… I didn’t intend for any of this to happen…

Uh… holy poo poo.

Your voice is trembling. Can’t say I blame you.
No one’ll believe a word you say…
Oh, I don’t plan on telling anyone. This is for me. I never want to forget this moment… the moment humanity’s traitor stares death in the face.

Music: Emotional Storm (Yoshimi Kudo)

That was the bomb I planted.
At the power generator!? Are you insane!? We have to repair it right away! We’ll lose life support if we don’t!

It can’t be… The lock to your room’s been disengaged…

…Looks like Ei finished the job after all. Or at least, one version of him did.

Ei’s head is pounding.

And… It was all my fault…
*pained groans*

Ei’s head is pounding.

Uhhh…

Ei’s head is pounding.

What are you doing alone in a place like this?
I guess it makes sense that you don’t remember me. I was just a baby when we last saw each other, after all.

Ei’s head is pounding.

Holy poo poo, she’s got a piece!

Ei’s head is pounding.

Music: The Chills (Yoshimi Kudo)

…If you’re going to lie, at least put some effort into it. No matter. I’ll simply ask Miss Fuyusaka here what she knows. After I’ve finished you off, of course.

In the end, you turned out to be nothing but a coward.

Use Sector 0 on Tetsuya Ida

…!
That’s where you backed up your data, right? A good precaution, but that isn’t going to save you.
……
Morimura gained access to the satellite of the real world. That’s where she learned about the next reset… and that it’s going to be different from any other.
Satellite… of the real world?
It’s not just this world at stake anymore. If we fail to defeat the kaiju again… the real world will be impacted as well. That includes the facility that sends us back there. When the facility itself is recreated… there won’t be a Sector 0 anymore.
…!

And no one will be able to loop again.

…Tomi… Is this… what you meant…? …It can’t be… but…

Looks like he’s finally realizing what Miyuki Inaba was trying to tell him before he locked her away.

Mm… Oww…

Music: The One (Kikuchi Yukinori)

Is it over?
…My past is. But as for our future… for our survival… this is only the beginning.

Fuyusaka's the one piloting it. She's always so sincere in her actions… And that's Sentinel No. 17 behind her. I'm seeing second, even third-generation Sentinels. 12 in total. That bastard… He's gathered quite a few participants for his game. That enhanced first-gen model… It must be Sentinel No. 11.

And there’s Ei finished up. To the board!

I remove “Voice on the Radio” and “Did Ei Kill Morimura?” from the board. He did kill her, just not this Ei and this Morimura. Still pretty weird with the whole Iori romance thing, not gonna lie.

I also remove the hypothesis about a war from the 2188 section of the board.

I add “Sekigahara sabotaged colony to kill Morimura” and “Morimura caused nanomachine infection” to the 2188 section of the board.

I also add three new purple “kill” links: Ei to both Morimura and Ida, and Chihiro to Morimura. Everyone’s getting in on killing Morimura today.

And here’s the whole board.

Arist fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jul 17, 2022

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Memento Morimura

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Back to Gouto.

Chapter 102: Renya Gouto 3

Music: Go Sentinels, Go! (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

We did it…
They’ve changed targets. The next terminal is just over there.
They’re already on the move.

…… I haven’t hit my operating limit yet… But I’m going to dismount.
Whoa, hey—then who’s taking point…?

We don’t need orders to kick some rear end!

I’m back in the fight.
I won’t be long. …It’s up to you.
Fine then… Let’s roll, Yuki-chan.

There’s our favorite precocious little murderer.

…Look at that sunset. Just like it was back then. It’s beautiful.

I have one locked onto you, yes. Their target’s changed. They’re coming back this way. It’s dangerous here. We need to get you to safety.

You already know how I feel. This is what I wanted.
Still…

Can you really afford to waste your time here? Or have you already given up? The invasion is still in its preliminary phase.
…I’ve got time. First, I need to get you somewhere safe…
There are no safe places left.
……
At least, none left for us. We’re not safe anywhere. But you know that well enough. You’re just losing precious time. Go focus on the job you’re supposed to be doing.
*sigh* Understood. I’ll go.

If, hypothetically, you wanted to know.

Music: Living in the Moment (Yoshimi Kudo)

There’s something I want to clear up.

Oh, snap! That’s… what’s the word? Oh, right. Weird.

……

But it was more about you being jealous, wasn’t it?

This may be our last chance to talk. Answer me.
……

That I… That I can’t think about anything else?
…And that’s why you brought back my memory, too. Isn’t it?
……
You never cared how you managed to do it. You just wanted her back.
…So much.

We could certainly unpack all the weird subtext inherent in trying to bring back the woman you love, who happened to be twice your age, in the body of herself as a kindergartner. But I’m not going to!

I’m glad… You really were a slave to your desires. That’s the Renya Gouto I remember. It means… I don’t have to like you after all. Thank you. I think that’s all I wanted to hear.

Bet?

Although it looks like I’m about to win it.

Activate Sentinel

Wait, that’s…

Hey, Miwako! ‘Sup, girl? Running for dear life? That’s cool.

Could you leave me alone?
Just come with me, okay?

*gasp*

If you can’t find your mommy… I can help you look.

Miwako… :unsmith:

We just have to run away right now. Okay?
Ugh…

I’m so glad you’re okay…
Geez, you’re so reckless. You shouldn’t have come this way…

I know already!
Um…?
I’ll get back to the battle once Miwako’s safe.

O-Of course not. …Never mind. The evacuation route’s that way.
Can I bring her too?
Hey…
…That’s fine. Just hurry up.
*sigh*

And that’s another Gouto chapter finished. Rather short, that one.

That line in this Mystery File about Gouto seeing a log between 2188!Ida and 2188!Gouto? I don’t think it’s actually in the game, both because I don’t remember it at all and also because it’d be pretty weird for them to recap it before we see it. My assumption is that it was probably a planned scene that didn’t make it into the final release, which is not uncommon in this game. There’s a couple entire characters that hit the cutting room floor and only get hinted at in the finished game.

Finally got Yuki’s Sentinel activation scene in this chapter.

We add a new pink romantic link between, ugh, Gouto and Ms. Morimura.

And that’s all for the board this time.

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yuki is simply the best.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

I thought there were too many Juros before but there are definitely far too many Morimuras now.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
Technically there's one fewer now

FAT BATMAN
Dec 12, 2009

2188 Ei Sekigahara is simply too drat cool. What a badass.

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020
Just binged this thread, and I'm deeply immersed and intrigued by this game. Thoughts I have to get off my chest:

The graphics reinforce the indisputable fact that Vanillaware games are beautiful~

Color me surprised that the "Magical Megumi" jokes didn't get as multifaceted as I expected when one considers that Cristina Valenzuela's Magical Girl pedigree includes not only the mentioned Sailor Mars but also Homura Akemi and Nanoha Takamachi.

Despite everything, I can't help but gravitate to Ryoko as my favorite character, which makes me question myself in many ways...

Definitely agree that the way these people Examine guns is pretty hilarious.

WarpedLichen posted:

I thought there were too many Juros before but there are definitely far too many Morimuras now.

Ace Transmuter posted:

Technically there's one fewer now

So, after Juro Kurabe: Juro Kurabe, starring Juro Kurabe as Juro Kurabe, where Juro "Juro Kurabe" Kurabe Juro'ed his last Kurabe, Morimura didn't want to be left behind, so she one-upped him by committing a Mori Murder.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 103: Tomi Kisaragi 8 (FINAL)

Time to finish off Tomi’s story.

Music: Feeling Left Out (Composer: Azusa Chiba, Arranger: Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

They’re showing it at the theater right now.

Tomi backs away from Juro.

He’s talking to himself again…

Would you like to get crêpes on our way home?
I’d love to, but… I’ve kinda got somewhere to be.
Aww… Okay…

From behind, Juro approaches!

Sorry, Juro, but you’ll have to be a lot stealthier than that to catch Tomi unawares!

Er… Not really, sorry…

Juro heads back to the corner to continue muttering to himself.

You’ve been acting strange lately. Are you okay? You seem kind of… stressed out.
But you’re just fine, right?
Hey… I’m worried about you.

Shall we go home together?
Sorry, I have plans…
You too…?
Sorry, Miwa-chan.
It’s okay. I’ll go home by myself.
Well, it’s about that time.
Yeah…
I should head out too. See you, Miwa-chan.
Bye.

It’s nothing. *leaves*

Juro then leaves as well.

But maybe… that’s for the best. ……

I’m heading out!
See you!

gently caress off, Tomi. Don’t be so judgmental.

I just… didn’t get a chance to change. As I said, this is a necessary disguise.

Sorry, sorry. Anyway… You’re going to do this for me, right?
*wince*

Music: The Sector Theorem (Kazuki Higashihara)

Kisaragi?
Amiguchi!?

That’s what I should be asking you! Well, whatever. Who’s that lil cutie?
*amused chuckle* Hear that? You’re a “cutie,” apparently.

Oh, shut up.

I’m not complaining…

They might be with the black suit guys.
BJ says he knows them.
Natsuno…?

You’re here too? Why?

Sekigahara’s robot?

The two of them will speed up the process.

I am like this now, but…
You’re Miura. Sekigahara told me.
What is your goal?
To save the girl trapped in orbit.
Then we’re on the same path.

My own Sentinel is there.
Sentinel No. 17… So that’s how it is. Both 16 and 17 were put into orbit.
They went to an unknown man-made artifact in space.
We’ve briefly gotten a hold of it from here… But we don’t quite understand what it is.
No. 16 would know the answer.
Last time, we got through to her when I touched something over there. But now…
It won’t respond. Not even with Kisaragi’s biometric ID. She’s completely inaccessible now.
Shu Amiguchi may know the reason.

Ida did it himself. He shut down her Sentinel.
Ida, huh.
Yeah. Something about authorization.
He must have used his security authorization to issue the command… So that’s what happened.
You created the Sentinels. Perhaps you can clear the authorization.
…Worth a try.

But seriously! You too, Usami? I can’t believe you’re all time traveling.

Funny thing about that is…

This is actually where I’m from.
Whoa! You came from the future?

No.

Does anyone else know about this stuff?
Let’s see… Yuki-chan from class 1-A. Miura-kun, too.
What? That guy?

I can’t turn down a cry for help. Especially not from the one and only Miyuki Inaba.

Use Miyuki Inaba on Shu Amiguchi

You mean that idol?
Well, yeah. She talked to me through a TV program. You guys call her No. 16, but… She’s actually another you.

Consider Miyuki Inaba

(I knew it… That song. It sounded a little different in the style of the ‘80s… But it’s just like one I sang back in middle school. And “Inaba”… That’s my username. I became an idol? Seriously?)

Kisaragi. As you scan your ID to grant access… The authorization will be reset and the Sentinel will reboot.

Another glowing button to press. This one’s red, though. Nifty.

The Sentinel started up normally.
I… I see. Ida-kun shut me off…

Sorry it’s a little late.

Access is clear.
Don’t worry… Universal Control doesn’t suspect a thing. To it, this appears to be a simple video broadcast.

Also known as Tomi Kisaragi. Just like you.
Please tell me. What is all this? What’s going on?
I would like information as well.

Well, you’re me, right? I won’t get anywhere if I can’t even trust myself.

A healthy attitude, Tomi.

Command ship?
For the second phase of the interstellar development project. It’s an artificial satellite that presides over terraforming.
Terraforming?
The very ground you stand on is proof. The second phase was a resounding success.
No way…
So the D-forces were used to develop land?
Originally… Yes, they were designed as heavy machinery for that purpose.

*gasp* …Wait, no, we already put that together. That came from this character’s story, after all! We found that out from the destroyed kaiju wreckage in 2025 in Tomi Kisaragi 2! The only semi-new bit would be…

You mean… it’s really true? We’re not on planet Earth…
Huh!?
I’ve seen it with my own eyes. The whole city’s less than 30 kilometers long. I thought it was on a spaceship, though…

Right, the “new” bit is that the planet they were terraforming was this one.

Unbelievable. What about the other countries I’d been investigating?
Universal Control alters the information you receive. It does whatever’s necessary to make things appear consistent.

I can see the entirety of the residential ward system. All of the terminal controls, too.
You’re able to control the satellite from your Sentinel?
It does have some limitations, of course. But it is possible.

…?
She’s the one who designed the second phase of interstellar development. She was a terraforming researcher. Watch this log of hers.

We’ve reached the point where “watch this log” sends me into an irrational rage, this game can’t keep doing this.

Music: STAGNATION (Yoshimi Kudo)

I ran the simulation. This was our 25th terraforming attempt. We believe the planet is a type 57B. In order to reach a habitable state for humanity… The process took 1,800 years. A bit longer than hoped. No further issues up to this point. Oh, and I almost forgot. At Professor Morimura's suggestion… I updated the system on the command ship. It's set to monitor the final phase—surface facilities. Before any harm may come to these facilities… It will determine whether the final phase needs to be redone. As the professor always says, it can't hurt to be safe. Work has been coming along well… But I honestly can't wait to return to the surface.

The log ends. I’m curious about the phrasing of “determine whether the final phase needs to be redone,” though. Could that be related to the reset Ryoko’s 2188 self forced?

A log from Tomi Kisaragi in the year 2188.
She said some curious things. Like… redoing the final phase.

Well, what now?
…… The command ship will fall below the horizon soon. We'll be disconnected for quite a while.
Are there any measures we can take?
Yes… But I believe there's only one way through this.
…And what's that?
Universal Control. It needs to be altered. And the only ones who can do that… are all of you. Trust in me… And get into the Sentinels.

Get in the robot!

And that’s one more completed story. We’re at 7 out of 13 finished stories now. We’ve gotta be at least 50% done now, right? :v:

Arist fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Oct 4, 2022

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chapter 104: Renya Gouto 4

We’re really plugging away at Gouto. We’ll be done with this chap in no time at all at this rate.

Music: Beyond the Memories (Rikako Watanabe)

But this suddenly makes me feel so… nostalgic.
Sunsets will do that, I find. Regardless of time period.
Yes, but… This must be… Well, I suppose it must be one of those places.

Where am I going?
I've rented an apartment under a false name.
Can't be any worse than our last accommodations. As long as it's not rubble, I'll take it.
My apologies. If it's any comfort, I'm certain nobody will find you there. Not Shikishima, and certainly not Ms. Morimura. I suppose we have Ida-san to thank for all this. The funds and paperwork he prepared were invaluable.
Tetsuya Ida… And he's still missing, is he?
Yes...

loving dying laughing thinking about Professor Chihiro Morimura, genius nanomachine expert from 2188, begging Gouto for a piggyback ride.

Okay, before we continue, I need to clarify something about the temporal relation between these two scenes. They are not back-to-back, the previous scene was presumably just after Gouto awakened her memories while this scene is a continuation of the previous scene at Ayame Park where Gouto was questioning Morimura and hypothesized she was actually the 2188 Morimura. I know the previous scene opened with a big text saying it was a flashback, but the scene is weirdly extraneous and the transition isn’t entirely clear, so I’m going to belabor it by adding this message.

This flowchart labeling the scenes as “Renya Gouto’s Theory 1” and Renya Gouto’s Theory 2” might help a bit. Remember, the prior scenes in the flowchart just means we saw those scenes first, not establishing the direct timeline of events.

That is what I said.

Music: Heated Debate (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

You are Professor Chihiro Morimura. A major figure in Shikishima in the year 2188… Namely, the leader of its space initiative.
What are you even talking about…?
Just some hypotheticals. A possible interpretation of the evidence I found.

Remember: Ms. Morimura's the one who created me. You think that was her plan? She wanted a host for the professor, and not herself? How would that make sense?

Use Compatibility on Chihiro

She believed that you were synchronized to her.
……

But it was the other Chihiro Morimura in Sector 0. And of course, you entered the world as a newborn. Incapable of verbal communication. So Ms. Morimiura never realized her mistake.
This is all speculation.
Certainly, yes.

I imagine you were in quite a panic yourself. All things considered, it was a staggering deviation from the original plan.
What original plan?

Use Report Log on Chihiro

One of Tetsuya Ida’s noted that he’d found an anomaly. Chihiro Morimura was set to undergo a memory transplant in the final phase.

That would be us.

Consider Future Log

(The log from the future I saw first… That would be the comms log I found with my own ID.)

A bit of patience, please. There’s a little more context I need to provide.

Use Gouto’s Log on Chihiro

The author seemed to be an elderly Renya Gouto. And the date of recording appeared to be 2188. I assumed… it was some future version of myself. One that had time traveled into the far future. But now I don't think that's the case. I believe it's the other way around. In other words… I, myself, am a clone of him.

Use Clone on Chihiro

They all created clones of themselves.
Clones, huh…
I did find a log that proves this point.
…What did you see?
A comms log between you and Professor Takamiya. Her field is genetic engineering, I note.
*shock*

Consider Takamiya’s Log

The simulations look good. Especially the survey range. We never expected a rate of expansion that high. It was definitely the right call to prioritize its strength as a group over individual units. These probes are pretty much living machines now. They self-replicate using natural resources mined from asteroids in their routing. They'll just keep building up and breaking down. An infinite cycle of self-replication on its way to its target. There's basically zero chance of the tech failing midway through. They'll just keep on going… …Probably long after humanity's gone.
Glad I came to an expert, then. All that's left is the refinement of the memory cube.
The infrastructural storage cell, right?
The cube's made up of five identical memory layers. In theory, it'll compare itself to nearby probes and use them as a template for repairs.

I’m glad they’re explaining all these things they both already know for our benefit.

And if it can't be repaired, well… Fine, one probe down. We've got thousands more.
And our passengers?
I'll be loading them up with the DNA of all the survivors. I've already got samples and data from all fifteen.

There it is! There’s our idiot teenagers!

Now it's just down to launching them.
These clones will go with all our hopes on their shoulders.
By the way… What do we do about him? I mean, after that DNA test…
…… We do nothing. …He doesn't have to know. What could I even say to him?

……

The log ends.

Music: Double Bind (Mitsuhiro Kaneda)

Use Clone on Chihiro

Each with a clone established to be compatible. Though they grew up in different eras, different worlds. And you… You aimed to replace your clone's memories with your own. That was your real plan.
……

...Is precisely how much of that log I've seen. Am I close?
……
You do have a genius mind, but also the form of a child. I imagine it's harder than usual to hide your agitation.

Use Takamiya’s Log on Chihiro

Professors Takamiya and Morimura seemed to know each other quite well. Maybe you'd know something about that?
Of course not.

*gasp*
Being compatible, that makes one part of his identity clear. He's one of the fifteen from the year 2188. So. Any theories? Who was he in the year 2188?
*frustrated grunt*

Wait, what!? …In hindsight, I probably should have seen that coming. The hair color is absolutely something this game would play like that.

The professor donated her egg cells as a young woman. In accordance with the policies on population control.

No comment at this time?

Use Clone on Chihiro

…until DNA testing on the clone revealed it.

Which, naturally, sparked an inconvenient surge of maternal instinct.
……

He had his disagreements with the project staff, too.

The professor recorded him one final message. One last chance for him to know the truth.

But how? You’d need a biometric ID match to access that log. So you should only have been able to access your own. My logs and Okino’s should have been locked off…
…Thank you. Professor Morimura.

Oh poo poo! Gouto’s got you now! Can’t pretend any more, Professor!

……

Mostly company logs. Meeting reports, call transcripts, bureaucratic chaff. Barely anything in the way of your personal records.
…… Then how do you know what was in my logs?
It’s simple, really.

Music: The Tower of Knowledge (Hitoshi Sakimoto)

Now. With Ms. Morimura’s ID… I should be able to get into her logs.

But how is he going to get her ID?

Oh, the camera’s panning further to the left this time, I wonder wha—

…Oh. Gouto, you’re kind of a scumbag.

This is probably from when Iori fainted when that Sentinel appeared in 2065 though, right?

I might find a clue why your biometric ID matches hers.

Though unconscious, she proved very helpful. She is Chihiro Morimura. A compatible version. If you really are Ms. Morimura… Then you should already know who Iori Fuyusaka is. Because that would mean you hid her here in Sector 4. The plan was for the two newborns to grow up with their own separate lives. Ida-san's idea, presumably. Chihiro Morimura was planned to be placed in 2104. And Tetsuya Ida in 2024. Yet neither could be found.

I knew Renya Gouto of Shikishima pretty well. You and he are very different…

So. Suppose I am the professor. Then what?

I want to know the reasons behind all of this…

I imagine you're not inclined to tell me anything.
And why's that?
It'd be inconvenient for you if we had all the facts.

……

DUN DUN DUN!!!!!

If you haven’t figured it out by now, Gouto’s entire story comprises largely of scenes of him talking to Chihiro, revealing details they ran out of dev time to put in the game no one else could figure out.

I was right about when Gouto nabbed Iori, then.

Wait, I thought she was an expert in genetic engineering? Though that was also supposed to be Ryoko’s thing, wasn’t it? Eh, whatever.

And Gouto’s locked behind some more Destruction. We’ll have to do that next time. Also, we’ll update the board next time because I’m feeling lazy right now!

Arist fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Dec 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
This line from the update before last has the wrong portrait:

quote:

I just… didn’t get a chance to change. As I said, this is a necessary disguise

Also I did really like Gouto catching Chihiro in a trap there, it's good stuff.