Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

STAC Goat posted:

Captain Carter seemed to have reignited it because a bunch of people were freaking out that MCU was gonna replace Sam with her or some nonsense. But like people will complain about Black Cap every single time he comes up from here on out.

Which is funny since that was the plot of the show.

That is very confusing to me because she is fuckin' British and wears a big ol' British flag. Even if she popped into the universe the one thing she explicitly would not be is Captain America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

ImpAtom posted:

That is very confusing to me because she is fuckin' British and wears a big ol' British flag. Even if she popped into the universe the one thing she explicitly would not be is Captain America.

Don’t underestimate the stupidity of the people who complain about this stuff.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Falcon and the Winter Soldier literally ends with a title card saying Captain America and the Winter Soldier.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

These are the same people who were up in arms that Idris Elba was Heimdall because “he wasn’t black in mythology or the comics!” It never stops.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Lobok posted:

What worried me about them using the Jane Thor story was whether it poisons the well for Bill. Like oh, another person who gets to be a Thor clone?

Bill was a badass even before he got Mjolnir. He doesn't have to be a Thor clone.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Aphrodite posted:

Falcon and the Winter Soldier literally ends with a title card saying Captain America and the Winter Soldier.

Literally the plot of the show is Sam coming to terms with the idea that he’s deserving to carry on Steve’s legacy even though lots of people are gonna reject him as Captain America including because of the color of his skin. But you know. Maybe he changed his mind between movies.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Aphrodite posted:

Because Bucky is both Captain America and the winter soldier?????

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Codependent Poster posted:

Bill was a badass even before he got Mjolnir. He doesn't have to be a Thor clone.

I suppose not. I don't know what they're planning with Korg in the future but having BRB be Thor's companion instead would be cool. Especially if he's more of a straight man. Maybe go for some Lethal Weapon buddy cop energy.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I would not look forward to the "that's your name?!" joke about Beta Ray Bill.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
BRB could be the overly serious one, Korg the weird one, and Thor the Himbo.

"I was once as you are, Horsey"

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Put Bill in Loki's show and have them play off each other instead

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

FilthyImp posted:

BRB could be the overly serious one, Korg the weird one, and Thor the Himbo.

"I was once as you are, Horsey"

Ooh, yeah, Bill as the uptight straight man. Unlike Drax, he gets idioms and innuendo, he just doesn't have time for it. He's a serious man on a serious mission, protecting his people.

You could do most of the BRB origin story (minus all the Odin stuff). He's cruising through space on his ship, transporting the last shipful of his people across the cosmos. They are in stasis, and are all running from whatever cosmic threat we're looking at at that time. The flight is interrupted by fighting between Thor and Hercules, Thor is losing the fight, but Bill picks up Mjolnir and saves him. Thor wants the hammer back, but Bill claims ownership by rite of trial by combat, plus with it he can better protect his Korbinite bretherin. Yadda-yadda team up, beat the big bad, another hammer is magically generated from somewhere comic booky.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Did anyone catch that the Kronan god was sitting on a throne made of scissors?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Nodosaur posted:

I did, but the movie really papered over that joke.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I liked the blink and you miss it joke that Thor has Nick Fury in his phone as "Nick Furry"

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010
As far as gags go, I'm pretty surprised that Sif's arm didn't pop up in the post-credit scene.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Nodosaur posted:

Not only that, but it was the Iron Throne from Game of Thrones

funtax
Feb 28, 2001
Forum Veteran
Taika needs an editor. Maybe two or three of them.

I found the relentlessness of the goofy jokes and gags in the first 2/3 of the film to be way too much, but the one bit that absolutely had me cackling later on was when November Rain is playing as Jane wakes up in the hospital and they do a nearly shot-for-shot recreation of Axl waking up at the end of the music video. Apparently, no one else in my row thought this was funny, so now I'm the jerk who laughed at the dying lady.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

also

Love needs to be in the Young Avengers

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

also

Love needs to be in the Young Avengers

"She's off planet."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

funtax posted:

Taika needs an editor. Maybe two or three of them.

I found the relentlessness of the goofy jokes and gags in the first 2/3 of the film to be way too much, but the one bit that absolutely had me cackling later on was when November Rain is playing as Jane wakes up in the hospital and they do a nearly shot-for-shot recreation of Axl waking up at the end of the music video. Apparently, no one else in my row thought this was funny, so now I'm the jerk who laughed at the dying lady.

This movie had 4.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
There's a fight on Earth that feels like it was cut to shreds. Characters just show up out of no where and it moves way too fast.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

Joe Fisto posted:

Most MCU big bads seem to have somewhat relatable motives. I think it’s time for a villain to be just a deranged evil bastard.

Carnage in Venom 2

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

:laffo: at all the people in the comments saying some variation of "Captain America isn't just a title you can pass around!" without elaborating on the argument.

I can't think of a superhero title in the MCU more fit to be a legacy title than Captain America.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

lol. People are dumb. Captain America is literally a title.

JordanKai posted:

I can't think of a superhero title in the MCU more fit to be a legacy title than Captain America.
Agreed.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
John America didn't crawl through the ranks for just anyone to get his name.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

JordanKai posted:

:laffo: at all the people in the comments saying some variation of "Captain America isn't just a title you can pass around!" without elaborating on the argument.

Favorite response: "When Sam was made Captain America it was just fanfiction" unlike all the other real comics.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

People don't even remember the first drat film. It wasn't like the title of Captain America was bestowed on the greatest person, Rogers was mostly a shill for war bonds until he decided to become a hero. He chose to make Captain America a bad-rear end warrior and so if it's going to be up to anybody who the next Cap is, it's up to Rogers. And he picked Sam!

The guy who showed up in the second movie, has a history with Rogers in the comics going back decades and even shared a Captain America & Falcon title with him at some point. Like he's more old school with Rogers than Rhodes is with Stark.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

I still don't get why they didn't change the title card to "Captain America and Bucky" at the end of that series. Bucky trying to get over his past was just as much a focus of the show as Sam inheriting the mantle.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Dawgstar posted:

Favorite response: "When Sam was made Captain America it was just fanfiction" unlike all the other real comics.

Last week it was "Shuri was only Black Panther for like five years, that doesn't count."

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Just got out of Thor and enjoyed it a lot, if perhaps not quite as much as Ragnarok. Like that movie it feels oddly rushed in the beginning, going through a dozen new elements in the first half hour, but I thought they all came together very satisfyingly. Kind of odd that Gorr doesn't do more god butchering onscreen; the dude at the beginning is the only one we actually see, and then there's a number of offscreen ones, a nonfatal blow on Valkyrie, and Sif's arm. I don't think it needed a large focus on that, and they probably still wanted to keep him sympathetic enough for the ending, but it was a little disappointing that Gorr's onscreen actions didn't quite live up to his genuinely creepy design and Bale's performance.

Edit: More thoughts: I do appreciate that this one is less willing than Ragnarok to undercut every serious moment with a joke. Thor gives about three inspirational speeches, and only one that I can recall ends in a gag (the temple collapsing).

I appreciate a good title drop, and this had a nice unexpected one.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jul 10, 2022

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/ErikDavis/status/1546153004130136064?s=20&t=87ioxnB2j0CIRJBVyr7IUg
drat Marvel sure is on its deathbed

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Get woke go on to break records

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am genuinely surprised. I thought Star Wars would have had a bigger opening.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

I am genuinely surprised. I thought Star Wars would have had a bigger opening.

Movies used to have longer tails where they would hang around in the box office longer but nowadays pretty much everything gets all their money in the first week.

live with fruit
Aug 15, 2010

muscles like this! posted:

Movies used to have longer tails where they would hang around in the box office longer but nowadays pretty much everything gets all their money in the first week.

I assume particular the MCU since spoilers are such an issue.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

But Twitter claims everyone HATES the movie with an undying passion.

I actually liked it. Ragnarok is still superior, but this one had me laughing and smiling like a dumbass. I loved the goats, the joke had me in giggles. And Gor -or whatever his name is- was *chef-kiss* and I gotta agree that the ending was so good.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
https://twitter.com/morebuttertv/status/1546193820387246081?t=GFJGI25Y9MQD6sNXG0e3qw&s=19
Think people are also reading too much into this

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When Phantom Menace came out, a $60mil opening weekend was massive.

The first ever 100mil was Spider-Man in 2002. AOTC hit 80m, and RotS made 108m.

Korg is in Endgame though, so this is Taika's biggest opener as a director but not overall.

Edit: Actually, Portman is in Endgame on a technicality too. The footage of Jane is archival but she did new VO for it.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

muscles like this! posted:

Also it's been 15+ years since Portman was in a Star War so inflation is non-trivial even ignoring what's happened in the last year.