Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookykid
Apr 28, 2006

I am an awkward fellow
after all

Cthulu Carl posted:

I saw a bunch of comments about how "No, it's supposed to flex just like this! It gets inspected yearly!" And I dunno if they're being sarcastic but... That joint does NOT looks like it's inspected by anyone with any actual expertise or regulatory authority.

I think that's more a joke about all the anti-infrastructure people that came out of the woodwork to post about how "the I-40 bridge near Memphis is just fine and it's been fine for years with that giant crack! It gets inspected yearly!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Please, it's not like shoddy stadia have ever killed anyone...

Thousands and thousands you say? Oh dear.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

SimonSays posted:

Please, it's not like shoddy stadia have ever killed anyone...

Thousands and thousands you say? Oh dear.

poo poo, no wonder Google's letting it die

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

:catstare:

https://i.imgur.com/2sal0dC.gifv

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Some real as gently caress forkfuckling right there.

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The chosen one that the shirts foretold :aaaaa:

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
I wonder if they teach that at forklift certification school

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

you can tell they do this like, EVERY morning

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What exactly is the purpose of that? Helping the truck make the turn?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Hollismason posted:

What exactly is the purpose of that? Helping the truck make the turn?

Looks like it. Without the forklift the right side of the trailer would have hit the corner

I can't tell if it's possible to get around that corner without forklift assistance, but there are some wizardly truckfucklers out there

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

When a forklift operator knows the Weirding Way

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

why don’t they just build trucks with a forklift on the back

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Ror posted:

Buddy you ain’t gonna believe this, but

Ah, no wait, uhh

poo poo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Just make the trailer wheel cluster independently steerable, like a firetruck

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Ror posted:

Princeton has almost 30 years of truck-mounted forklift experience. The basics are simple, but there are many details to cover to insure maximum productivity and safety. In general, almost any truck or trailer can be modified to carry a PiggyBack®. https://piggy-back.com/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

haveblue posted:

This is the correct option, it makes semis potentially more entertaining while freeing forklift operators from the burden of caring for lesser vehicles

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

haveblue posted:

Because then truckies would be using them on the highway.

The Wurst Poster
Apr 8, 2005

Literally the Wurst...

Seriously...

For REALSIES.

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Because then truckies would be using them on the highway.

I passed two trailers like these on the interstate a few days ago hauling concrete beams.

There was someone in the rear compartment for both of them. I don't know if they lock the steering or the rear driver has to steer full time but it must be an interesting ride.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Wurst Poster posted:

I passed two trailers like these on the interstate a few days ago hauling concrete beams.

There was someone in the rear compartment for both of them. I don't know if they lock the steering or the rear driver has to steer full time but it must be an interesting ride.

Lol, I know it's not how it works out in practice, but that looks like the setup for some kind of rad as hell delivery race movie

Mistle
Oct 11, 2005

Eckot's comic relief cousin from out of town
Grimey Drawer

McCracAttack posted:

drat, what a bad way to go.

It's pretty thoroughly bad, but I think #1 worst way to go for me is still drowning in a pig poo poo lagoon.

McCracAttack posted:

It's a REALLY good "make things disappear" machine.

If the company who makes the machine aren't cowards this could be a marketing opportunity. "Shred-co Shredders! It'll take them months to find the body."

https://www.youtube.com/user/ssishredders

The catchphrase is "watch it shred"

I remember stumbling across the channel when the "will it blend" fad happened, which both were probably mentioned in a previous thread iteration.

There's also a poor edit video of a shredder disposing of cow carcasses, and someone did a semi-comedic job of mooing over the footage and PETA thought they were shredding live cows :lol:

haveblue posted:

Looks like it. Without the forklift the right side of the trailer would have hit the corner

I can't tell if it's possible to get around that corner without forklift assistance, but there are some wizardly truckfucklers out there

It's possible; likely a three-point turn in the area off to the left. But if the truck is empty, it's nothing a forklift couldn't handle, and it saves the truck a whole two-five minutes making a carefully planned three point to get out of the place.

Not standard, but one of those corners that gets cut to "get done faster."

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/507526277918621697/995310311110352996/VID_40661106_173723_455.mp4

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Men Having Fun.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Was torn between here and the schad thread, but given the utter lack of anything resembling safety precautions I figure y'all would enjoy it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oO226PgSkg

So a man spends $200k creating a 1300hp Mercury comet. The steering doesn't work right, the throttle sticks, the gearbox can't downshift unless it's in park, it's leaking brake fluid, but that's not going to stop them taking it out for a test drive.

After riding the (leaking) brake full time to compensate for the stuck throttle:

https://i.imgur.com/LXMQp0G.mp4

It's got a 5 point harness but why put that on :effort:

quote:

This is Russ, as I sat in the hospital for a couple days, I replayed everything in my head hundreds of times, things that I should have noticed as a warning, and what I could have done differently.

I’ve seen lots of comments so I’ll address a few of them, not being defensive at all.

In a normal car throttle sticking at 2200 RPM’s is not the end of the world, in my car that’s 900 ft/lbs of torque. I should have realized the load that was putting on the brakes. Didn’t cross my mind at the time. FYI: It had double springs on the throttle.

In a normal car, I could have pulled emergency brake, I even got a quote at Good Guy’s Del Mar for an electronic e-brake & bigger brakes. Hindsight’s 20-20, I was just gonna trailer it to a few shows & not drive it much till I could do that.

Why didn’t I downshift? Car had a B&M ratchet shifter, once I shifted up thru the gears you can’t downshift till you put it in park. So much going on in those last few seconds, forgot to downshift it after putting it in park, but it was probably too late to have had a big reduction in speed.

As far as I know, driver of van was not seriously injured. Beauty of a modern car with crumple zones, self tightening seat belts & air bags.

Car had liability coverage but no collision, I was still in the process of getting stated value insurance

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Azhais posted:

Was torn between here and the schad thread, but given the utter lack of anything resembling safety precautions I figure y'all would enjoy it

So a man spends $200k creating a 1300hp Mercury comet. The steering doesn't work right, the throttle sticks, the gearbox can't downshift unless it's in park, it's leaking brake fluid, but that's not going to stop them taking it out for a test drive.

After riding the (leaking) brake full time to compensate for the stuck throttle:

good loving god what a moron. The car is literally uncontrollable

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Azhais posted:

lol the sine way i just rode of not feeling bad, to rewatching the video and seeing him say oh poo poo and brace as he realizes how hosed they are, to then reading he didnt even have the right coverage yet

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

So he's getting his license revoked and jail time for creating and driving an unsafe death trap that could've lead to fatal injuries, without even having insurance, right

Right

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Why would you take your unique, expensive, completely untested hot rod out onto regular streets to test drive it? Why not, like, any track?

I know the answer to this and similar questions is "more money than sense" but I still feel the need to ask it.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Admiral Joeslop posted:

So he's getting his license revoked and jail time for creating and driving an unsafe death trap that could've lead to fatal injuries, without even having insurance, right

Right

Should be the easiest lawsuit ever for the person he hit if nothing else

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

corgski posted:

They won the toxx, unless someone knows of 18650s on the market that legitimately have at least 7508mAh capacity.

Hey, anyone want to hollow out a 18650, fill it with gasoline, and sell it to me?

Artemis J Brassnuts
Jan 2, 2009
I regret😢 to inform📢 I am the most sexually🍆 vanilla 🍦straight 📏 dude😰 on the planet🌎
Good lord I wouldn’t even take that mess around a parking lot, let alone onto a street with cars/bikes/pedestrians.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

This made me smile! Now do it with liquid gas cylinders

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

:stare:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpkmbfISfbA

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

What else would you expect from a Clown College forklift?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MIypX5dDobg&t=73s

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jul 10, 2022

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Azhais posted:

My drivers ed teacher used to be suuuper adamant about resisting the instinctive urge to brace yourself against the steering wheel via your arms if you ever find yourself in a situation where a crash is imminent, because modern cars protect you to the point where you actually risk unnecessary injury by locking out your arms.
This video does an excellent job at showing exactly why you shouldn't do so.

:nms:
https://i.imgur.com/i6GjwA1.png

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Same goes for your legs. You should never be able to lock out your legs while pressing the pedals as hard as you physically can, with your back fully in the seat back.

Way too many people sit too far away from the pedals and press with their tippy-toes.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

I feel like this one needs the "does anyone know how these things work? YOWS! *fart*" audio from schad thread.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose
could have driven off the side of the road instead of piling into some innocent person, too

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mimesweeper posted:

could have driven off the side of the road instead of piling into some innocent person, too

I think hitting an immobile object like a tree would have killed them. Or they might have hit a pedestrian at a parking lot. In a place like that and at that speed there aren't many good options, especially when you're panicking.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

hailthefish posted:

The real deal are literally $30 which isn't a whole lot for 'might actually save your life' so I don't see the use of cheaping out on it.

Here's a question: are they one use or reusable? I've been meaning to get one for a while now, and I don't want to accidentally mess it up while doing a dry run to see how it works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Here's a question: are they one use or reusable? I've been meaning to get one for a while now, and I don't want to accidentally mess it up while doing a dry run to see how it works.

One use. If you really want practice you can buy a blue practice one and crank the windlass down to see how it really feels.