Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

MonsieurChoc posted:

Got my Kangee commander deck in the mail (trying my lgs custom commander thing).

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/YE93hkkup0aVe0xQP6chww

I gotta add in at least a Zephyr Falcon.

get the secret lair Storm Crow for it

here's my bant birbs (warning: derevi) if you wanna see what i'm doing with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also i might as well ask here, i've been trying to make various permutations of Jared Carthelion work as a fun monarch deck for later, and this current build is going the enchantress route

the problem as i see it, is that i think i'm trying to do too many things with Jared: 1) enchantress core for card draw that's focused on auras to suit up Jared so he can swing in and retake monarch a turn later, 2) along with a suite of earthquake effects to set off if i can manage to end up with Jared and the monarchy, and 3) a larger ramp package than normal to make it all work, since earthquakes in particular are mana-hungry

previously it was built attempting to regain monarch the turn after dropping Jared by playing one of the monarch-granting permanents, but that leaves you having then spent two turns in a row setting up Jared with nothing to show for it but a 3/3 indestructible Jared and like a Palace Jailer, with not enough left to earthquake same-turn for any appreciable amount, so you end up waiting until your third turn in a row to set off an earthquake and it's all telegraphed and just doesn't work

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
Which commander would do good for a legendary tribal theme? I'm running Garth but considering Najeela.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Sisay, Weatherlight Captain is designed for exactly what you're looking for.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dizz posted:

Which commander would do good for a legendary tribal theme? I'm running Garth but considering Najeela.

what about Kethis

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Dizz posted:

Arvad, the Cursed

Oh, you said good

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Getting caught up on podcasts at work and just listened to a really thoughtful episode of EDHrec about your Commander Pet Peeves. Really got me thinking about what kind of bad habits I have during games and how I want to present myself in games.

They talked about :
  • players being distracted from games with phones/trading

• players not respecting each other’s time

• players acting salty about any interaction with their board at all

• players who gets upset if you interact with their win condition

• Players who is obviously in a commanding lead refusing to acknowledge their obvious lead

• quarterbacking other players

• Acting like you have perfect information when you don’t

and it gave me pause and cause for introspection. I quarterback like a mother fucker and find that I get the most heated or distressed during a game when I feel like my opponent’s suboptimal play is costing me %-points. I only check my phone when the game is basically over, ie someone has begun the process of winning and I am personally F6.

If anything I overly respect my opponent’s time, taking my turns a little too fast and making mistakes/missing triggers and quite often fumbling an easy win.

I only really get salty about my permanents when there is an obviously superior threat/choice, but I am probably the first person to point out when I am the archenemy and deserve your attention, so it feels fair.

So I’m glad I listened, and I think when I start playing Commander again I’m really gonna focus on just playing my own cards in my own deck and not worry too much about my opponents making bad plays or targeting/bullying me. Nothing sucks worse than finishing a game of commander and feeling like I had to be a jerk to get the game I wanted, so I’d like to work harder on just playing well and keeping calm and not getting worked up over wizard squares, especially other people’s wizard squares.

What about you folks? What are your pet peeves and which of these peeves are you guilty of? Do you have any interest in managing these habits? Or are you settled in your ways and aren’t concerned about becoming a higher quality opponent for your weekly casual pick up games?

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.
I would say that it annoys me the most when people don't focus on the game. I mean, I pretty much only ever play with friends, and we're usually hanging out having a drink or whatnot so there is plenty of opportunity for distraction, but sometimes a person just starts telling a long winded story on their turn and I'm like "wtf dude play your cards first." Same as other board gaming etiquette, really. You have to pay attention to the board state when it's not your turn so that you are able to make your plays in a timely manner. Keep the ball rolling and chat with other players in between. Starting your turn by going around the table and looking at every single goddamn card that was played since your previous end phase because you didn't bother paying attention is annoying as gently caress, and drags things out.

There's also just straight up annoying and time consuming game mechanics sometimes. For example, recently, someone was playing their Umbris, Fear Manifest deck, and had a Dauthi Voidwalker out. She played a kicked Maddening Cacophony, and then proceeded to look through all 150 something exiled cards for something she could sac the voidwalker for to play. This person is not really an experienced or fast player and It took FOREVER, digging through three other people's massive exile piles and reading tons of cards she had never even seen before while trying to find a good play. It was the most agonizingly boring ten minutes of commander I had ever played. Like cool man, let me know when you find a card, I'll be out back having a smoke.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Reynold posted:

I would say that it annoys me the most when people don't focus on the game. I mean, I pretty much only ever play with friends, and we're usually hanging out having a drink or whatnot so there is plenty of opportunity for distraction, but sometimes a person just starts telling a long winded story on their turn and I'm like "wtf dude play your cards first." Same as other board gaming etiquette, really. You have to pay attention to the board state when it's not your turn so that you are able to make your plays in a timely manner. Keep the ball rolling and chat with other players in between. Starting your turn by going around the table and looking at every single goddamn card that was played since your previous end phase because you didn't bother paying attention is annoying as gently caress, and drags things out.

There's also just straight up annoying and time consuming game mechanics sometimes. For example, recently, someone was playing their Umbris, Fear Manifest deck, and had a Dauthi Voidwalker out. She played a kicked Maddening Cacophony, and then proceeded to look through all 150 something exiled cards for something she could sac the voidwalker for to play. This person is not really an experienced or fast player and It took FOREVER, digging through three other people's massive exile piles and reading tons of cards she had never even seen before while trying to find a good play. It was the most agonizingly boring ten minutes of commander I had ever played. Like cool man, let me know when you find a card, I'll be out back having a smoke.

This is one of those situations in which it is perfectly acceptable to coach and be like "just take the loving Sheoldred" or whatever

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Or simply “hey why don’t you go over this stuff while we go ahead and take our turns”.

My go to is “I’m gonna need you to take an action or pass priority…” usually gets the job done

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Bust Rodd posted:

Or simply “hey why don’t you go over this stuff while we go ahead and take our turns”.

My go to is “I’m gonna need you to take an action or pass priority…” usually gets the job done

This was my immediate suggestion, and was shot down by the rest of the table wanting to give the player a break. I was less than thrilled.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

In one of my pods last week, someone dropped a Farewell and named artifacts. Took all of my mana rocks and backfooted me for the rest of the game. I was pretty loving salty about that. Creatures, sure, graveyards, whatever, but there weren't any threatening artifacts out. It wasn't until the post-game at the diner that I realized it was the correct play, albeit a frustrating one.

I also get annoyed when a player talks about what they could be doing with the cards in their hand. "Do I play this card that helps everyone?" "I could take care of this problem right now if I wanted to." Crap like that. Their fifth-rate dealmaking and puppeteering really gets on my nerves. The same player will also tutor and pass and will change what they grab based on what the next person does. Not if I'm playing in their pod.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

I get frustrated with people that have poor threat assessment skills. It's me. I'm people.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

I brought my Drake posted:

The same player will also tutor and pass and will change what they grab based on what the next person does.

That's a big no from me, dawg.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Toshimo posted:

This is why I always give people a minute to tutor before taking my turn or (if I'm tutoring and I'm supposed to reveal it anyway) I will say what I'm looking for before passing the turn.

MissMarple
Aug 26, 2008

:ms:
If I'm pulling stuff out of other people's decks or graveyards or whatever I usually just ask them what's the most threatening thing I could grab unless I'm trying to craft something magical with a Mimeoplasm or similar where the burden is definitely on me. They usually have a much better idea of what is hot plasma than me having to read 100 cards.
Not knowing what you are looking for in your own deck is a pet peeve though. Don't play tutors if you can't shot call what you want.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Toshimo posted:

Lol yeah that's literally cheating imo and would get shut down real fast

All my homies do what Heath said and just say "I'm gonna tutor for X but it'll take a sec, I'll pass turn" and there you go

I guess my pet peeve is just grossly terrible threat assessment, too, or like not eliminating players for arbitrary reasons. I was playing a game where one dude had a Blightsteel Colossus along with a few other creatures and could've swung with just the Blightsteel to eliminate the guy with the most powerful deck. Instead he... swung at me with it, which I chump blocked, and swung at the dude who was ostensibly the biggest threat with just some little dinky creatures, claiming that was a fair breakdown.

Guy who was the bigger threat went off the next round and took out two people in one swing, including me, which we (players that got murked) both called during the declare attackers phase. I was p salty the game after that.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I'll tutor and pass and let the next person at least start untapping and searching for lands and end of turn actions but I will 100% of the time make sure they take no in game action like playing a card or spell before I finish tutoring.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Bust Rodd posted:

Getting caught up on podcasts at work and just listened to a really thoughtful episode of EDHrec about your Commander Pet Peeves. Really got me thinking about what kind of bad habits I have during games and how I want to present myself in games.

They talked about :

• Players who is obviously in a commanding lead refusing to acknowledge their obvious lead

This episode came at a really good time for me. There's trouble brewing between a couple of players in my group and one of them contacted me about it after the last game we played. We have a player very guilty of salt over interaction and not acknowledging their leading position (I bet these two go together a lot) and the person who this has annoyed the most is guilty of being on her phone any time it's not her turn. I've been having some stress about this and feeling like it's on me to resolve it. Now I'm just going to link the video to the group and tell them I noticed a couple of things in it that I do that I'll try to be better about in future.

I can be bad about quarterbacking, which often goes hand in hand with assuming perfect information. I'm going to try it cut it out.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Is quarterbacking telling people what they should do on their own turns?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Johnny Truant posted:

Or just telling them how to play in general, yeah.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Batterypowered7 posted:

I get frustrated with people that have poor threat assessment skills. It's me. I'm people.

This is why I try not to get mad at people for threat-assessment stuff, even if it seems stupid. There’s just too much variability and too much personal perspective to get all worked up because I got targeted when Player X was clearly building out their combo and why didn’t everyone else target them????

I’m sure I’ve done “poor” threat assessment before and I’m sure I’ll do it again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah, my most recent games of cEDH concluded with my opponent trying to work out their win with some weird 15 step Underworld Breach lines and I could see the clouds of math pouring out of the guy’s ears as he tried to do it himself and I just held up both my hands and was like “dude we know you have X, and you have this much mana and this tutor, go for this & that and then you cast Oracle and win…” and at the time I thought I was being helpful or even informative but afterwards everyone joked around like “ok so next game will just give all our decks to Bust Rodd and he’ll figure out whose gonna win, eh?” and it turns out that what I’d really done was make the Grixis player feel stupid and like he didn’t understand his own cards. Nobody was really salty about it but what I’d offered up as, like, a time-saving shortcut was actually interpreted as being a quarterbacking dickhead and in retrospect I could very easily see how it might’ve been taken that way. In the future I’ll start with a MUCH more generic line of assistance like “why not envision the easiest way to win and work backwards from there…” type of advice.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.
Just chiming in to say I finally put some real games on the Raggadragga deck I built on a whim and holy poo poo, it is hilariously good fun! Not even remotely well-built or tuned, but man it is legit fun hard casting an Apex of Power and just going to town with a bunch of dorks. A+, would recommend.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Johnny Truant posted:

I also see it as somebody telling me that I could have done such-and-such as the optimal play on my turn, usually right after my turn ends. Now some people are receptive to that, and want to get better and grow as players. And some people get pissed. I think it has a lot to do with who's saying it and how they say it.

It's a running joke that I forget what vigilance means when I'm playing with my buddies, and when they point it out, I'll fix it, but then I will start tapping other things like life pads and the chair next to me and other stuff to just be weird and funny. If a new player corrects me on it, I will apologize and be extra vigilant to play properly. If the guy digging for value in the bulk boxes tries to give me a lecture on it, he will get ignored.

There really needs to be a "how to play Magic with randos" series and I think a decent content creator could make it watchable and funny.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

berenzen posted:

Sisay, Weatherlight Captain is designed for exactly what you're looking for.

oh right she's in my deck, i can swap to her too.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what about Kethis

needed all 5 colors, but he's in the deck as well.

Silhouette posted:

Arvad, the Cursed

Oh, you said good

got him too in here. works nicely with odric, lunarch marshal

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Dizz posted:

oh right she's in my deck, i can swap to her too.

needed all 5 colors, but he's in the deck as well.

got him too in here. works nicely with odric, lunarch marshal

What about Esika, God of the Tree? Early game, she's a mana dork that turns your other legends into mana dorks as well, and late game you can cast her other side and just get free stuff every turn.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Esika is my Theros Pantheon Enchantress commander and she’s great. Just remember, if you run her, you need to run Jeskai Ascendancy for maximum pogs.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Either of those but only if you reverse the corresponding shape of the table

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/cedhbrasil/status/1546472870771101698?s=21&t=Cie0q7Pi8D_nfm5AAoSnJg

That Mono-R deck tho’’’’’

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

do i really want another monored deck

gently caress that's a cool idea

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

They talked about :

and it gave me pause and cause for introspection. I quarterback like a mother fucker and find that I get the most heated or distressed during a game when I feel like my opponent’s suboptimal play is costing me %-points. I only check my phone when the game is basically over, ie someone has begun the process of winning and I am personally F6.

If anything I overly respect my opponent’s time, taking my turns a little too fast and making mistakes/missing triggers and quite often fumbling an easy win.

I only really get salty about my permanents when there is an obviously superior threat/choice, but I am probably the first person to point out when I am the archenemy and deserve your attention, so it feels fair.

So I’m glad I listened, and I think when I start playing Commander again I’m really gonna focus on just playing my own cards in my own deck and not worry too much about my opponents making bad plays or targeting/bullying me. Nothing sucks worse than finishing a game of commander and feeling like I had to be a jerk to get the game I wanted, so I’d like to work harder on just playing well and keeping calm and not getting worked up over wizard squares, especially other people’s wizard squares.

What about you folks? What are your pet peeves and which of these peeves are you guilty of? Do you have any interest in managing these habits? Or are you settled in your ways and aren’t concerned about becoming a higher quality opponent for your weekly casual pick up games?

I didn't get around to answering this so I'll chime in.

My biggest pet peeve, especially when playing at the LGS, is when people aren't focused on the game at all and carry on conversations irrelevant to the game to people outside of the game, show people outside the game their hand, etc. It's really discouraging to be able to start my turn and be ignored while I'm declaring actions and it makes the game unbearably slow. Respect people's time and presence!

People who complain about interaction are just a given, they really should just not be playing and go to play solitaire or something.

Oh, and people who expect to be able to rewind actions when they gently caress up. No, my Chalice of the Void countered your spell, you don't get to play the card and take it back now that you realized I had it because you weren't paying attention to the board state.

And on the note of board states, people who have messy board states. Stacking up lands into an unintelligible pile, not clearly tapping permanents (make it a full 90 degree turn!), having cards hidden, and so on.

People who fast forward through every phase as if there was no priority being passed around, too. It feels like every game I have to tell someone to slow the gently caress down and explain what you are doing, and give people a chance to respond.

As for myself, I know I'm guilty of not fully taking board states into account as well-- except I don't expect rewinds when I make mistakes unless it's very obviously clear that there was no reasonable way I could have seen something buried underneath other cards. Sometimes I just play right into counterspells when I should have waited. And so on.

I also tend to punt opportunities to win because I'm usually thinking a turn or two ahead and already having a plan for my turn before it even becomes my turn, so I end up getting distracted on how I could interact or be interacted with rather than just taking the obvious win line had I not been flustered.

I didn't realize "quarterbacking" was a term, but I think I do that sometimes, and try to suggest "hey, that card's not really a threat, maybe try focusing on this other thing because it's going to cause problems for you and the rest of us down the line" pretty often. Telling people to think twice about their threat assessment, etc, because sometimes people will just hand the game over to someone who is so clearly about to go for a win. My cousin frequently wins with his Edric deck because no one bothers removing Edric since they're able to draw cards off of him. Then all of a sudden he has 20 creatures and is taking his 6th turn, with no opposition because he's got like 7 counterspells in his hand.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Framboise posted:

Oh, and people who expect to be able to rewind actions when they gently caress up. No, my Chalice of the Void countered your spell, you don't get to play the card and take it back now that you realized I had it because you weren't paying attention to the board state.

And on the note of board states, people who have messy board states. Stacking up lands into an unintelligible pile, not clearly tapping permanents (make it a full 90 degree turn!), having cards hidden, and so on.

Given how crazy board states get in commander we're generally pretty forgiving of things like someone trying to deal 3 damage to a creature with 4 toughness because they thought it had 3. The potential pool of cards is basically every card ever, and my playgroup has a proliferating alternate alt proxy problem (okay that part is 100% my fault).

If it's a tournament or something sure; in regular, friendly play I'd rather people proceed decently quickly through their turns and get takebacks than sit there and carefully triple-check the board state before they cast any spell.

pseudanonymous fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 11, 2022

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I'd let someone take back trying to kill a four toughness creature with three damage. But not a spell cast into a chalice.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
This is a two part post. First, please critique my amazing new deck.

quote:

Artifact
1 Arcane Signet
1 Charcoal Diamond
1 Fire Diamond
1 Fodder Tosser
1 Key to the City
1 Marble Diamond
1 Sol Ring
1 The Underworld Cookbook
1 Trading Post
1 Wayfarer's Bauble

Sorcery
1 Atrocious Experiment
1 Bad Deal
1 Cathartic Reunion
1 Cauldron's Gift
1 Change of Fortune
1 Dread Summons
1 Faithless Looting
1 Funeral Rites
1 Grave Strength
1 Imposing Grandeur
1 Incarnation Technique
1 Mind Rot
1 Shared Trauma
1 Smallpox
1 Summon Undead
1 Syphon Mind
1 Tormenting Voice

Creature
1 Cavalier of Flame

Instant
1 Corpse Churn
1 Deal Gone Bad
1 Dig Up the Body

Commander
1 Extus, Oriq Overlord // Awaken the Blood Avatar

Land
21 Mountain
22 Plains
25 Swamp

Second, and more seriously, I feel like I'm in a weird position with the game, at least socially.

I don't *not* take the game seriously, I genuinely play to win and do as well as I can, but I also honestly don't care about losing, and since I only play with friends who are cool they try and play decks I can handle. By that I mean I struggle with too much information at once. I trust everyone not to cheat, and they don't, so when they're tapping away and doing a lot of stuff I do genuinely just let them go through the motions, pay attention to get the vibes and let them tell me what happens when it resolves, and to notify me of times to possibly respond, which is nice.

I build my decks specifically around doing small combos of things, one or two maximum, because of my information processing issues. Keeping track of 3 other players and all the cards and all the abilities and stuff is not possible for me, so I build my decks very simply so I at least can always know what I'm doing. The advantage is that by my turn I know exactly what I'm doing, and I always know my possible responses (few for my own sake) when times arise.

So with that background, I do sometimes check my phone, or read up on stuff during other people's turns, but it's usually when they're taking time to plan, respond, do their tappies, and all that. And the trade off for that is they can take as long as they want to be honest.

I also feel like I might annoy people here, because I don't know a lot about deep mechanical lore, and I ask a lot of questions (repeatedly, because my brain struggles with remembering minutiae) and play purely socially, to the point that when I have a possible response or action to take I will literally poll the table as to whether it's good. By that I mean, look, this player is a threat, but taking out her Commander incidentally again (when it isn't the problem) might be a dick move, so if there are other responses please let me know.

As far as interacting with the board and win condition, Idunno, get indestructible and hexproof on everything? The whole game is interaction, that's weird.

I am not good at threat assessment tho, and take cues from everyone else to tell me these things. I'm basically a wing-girl Commander, altho I've even won a few times!

Edit: Oh, also we allow "rewinds" on a significant condition: no new information was discovered. So tapping some lands, playing a card, and then going "gently caress I meant to play this card first and got flustered" is fine to rewind in our group, because nothing changed. If someone responded then yeah, you have new information and so no, you can't rewind. I think that's fair in casual friend-play.

syntaxfunction fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jul 11, 2022

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Got a covid scare so I sadly won't be going to commandfest mtl.

Next year I guess.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

syntaxfunction posted:

I also feel like I might annoy people here, because I don't know a lot about deep mechanical lore, and I ask a lot of questions (repeatedly, because my brain struggles with remembering minutiae) and play purely socially, to the point that when I have a possible response or action to take I will literally poll the table as to whether it's good. By that I mean, look, this player is a threat, but taking out her Commander incidentally again (when it isn't the problem) might be a dick move, so if there are other responses please let me know.

You're fine, don't stress about it

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Framboise posted:

do i really want another monored deck

gently caress that's a cool idea

I feel like it's missing a Terror of the Peaks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

The optimal four player layout is the alcatraz tower on kaibacorp island from yu gi oh with the seats that go up if the player loses life points.

This would also mean players who play massive life gain are buried deep in the earth where they loving belong.