Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)
Danni should have hosed Karen, not Mr. No personality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
For All Mankind Season 7: a super elderly Ed and elderly Danny explore the galaxy in Star Trek like fashion.

edit:

I wonder if Molly shows up again this season. I kind of expected her in the most recent episode.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jul 9, 2022

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I'm now half sure that Danny was so interested in how the computer guy got control of the ship, that he's going to recreate it to take control from Ed after some sort of space mutiny.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Who's going to be Slab Bulkhead?

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Sivart13 posted:

See this is where I'm worried people watching this show get a mistaken impression that going to Mars would be cool and fun when in reality it is stupidly boring and dangerous.

The show really isn't making it clear how long the Sojourner trip took, but those people would've been going stir-crazy in a cramped spaceship for at least two months and more likely six. All for the opportunity to make a risky landing to the surface and splat or send another 6+ months in a radiation-heavy resource-light environment.

It is not really worth sending humans to die on mars so they can pick up some novel dirt. We can keep sending little helicopters to blow the dirt around if we want.

If real-NASA wanted to spend money improving life on Earth we should be out there mining asteroids.

I bet you're fun at parties

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

EvilHawk posted:

I'm now half sure that Danny was so interested in how the computer guy got control of the ship, that he's going to recreate it to take control from Ed after some sort of space mutiny.

When he was asking about how they got control, I was thinking it was because he was going to retake control of the ship, then give it back to Dev in exchange for being made commander of the mission and maybe also he gets to space Ed. Then it turned out he just wanted to creep on Karen.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Spacebump posted:

I wonder if Molly shows up again this season. I kind of expected her in the most recent episode.

Could've been a budgetary decision not to hire the actor for an episode just for one shot of her painting and one line saying hi. (I didn't think of that, was speculation on NASA Vending Machine.) Hope we see her in an episode where she'd have more to do, I miss her!

Cojawfee posted:

When he was asking about how they got control, I was thinking it was because he was going to retake control of the ship, then give it back to Dev in exchange for being made commander of the mission and maybe also he gets to space Ed. Then it turned out he just wanted to creep on Karen.

Same. One day I'll internalize that this is Danny's underlying motivation for all actions.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

With something to prove after flunking the NASA simulator and already insisting he could make the landing before Ed aborted, Danny is absolutely going to gently caress up a re-entry and get himself pasted across the surface of Mars before the end of the series.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

jackhunter64 posted:

With something to prove after flunking the NASA simulator and already insisting he could make the landing before Ed aborted, Danny is absolutely going to gently caress up a re-entry and get himself pasted across the surface of Mars before the end of the series.

And it will be with whoever it is that has the position Ed's daughter was going to have.

stuart scott
Mar 9, 2007

That reminds me, was the plan with the Helios mission to do multiple trips up and down? They're not going all that way just to send Ed and Danny I assume.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, I think we saw multiple landers docked on the Phoenix. And using metholox engines suggests generating fuel on Mars which would have to be ferried up to orbit.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

mr. unhsib posted:

I wonder if Ellen pardons Margo.

I doubt it, not unless it's on her way out if she loses re-election.

Space_Wizard
Dec 21, 2018
On Margo, some of her other actions will also look bad once her provision of information to the Soviets gets out.

-Dismissing Molly, abolishing the role of the head of the astronaut office and centralising power under herself. We know that this is just because Margo is arrogant and believes that she is always right, but an investigation will likely suspect that this was done to ensure that the soviets had control of NASA operations via their agent.
-Swapping out Ed for Danielle. We know that this was a combination of spite (because Molly didn't listen to her) and a genuine belief that Danielle is the better commander (which to be fair she is). But in a situation where Margo has been revealed as a spy, Danielle, who disobeyed orders to dock with Soyuz and who was incommunicado in the USSR for several days will also find herself under suspicion.
-The amassing of huge amounts of funding at NASA during what is apparently not the best time overall economically. Again, through the lens of Margo being a spy every cent will be scrutinised and god help her if any project that she provided to the Soviets didn't end up being used by NASA - because then NASA is "Funneling money to the Reds"
-Hiring Aleida - A woman whose father was deported for "stealing classified materials" wound up getting a job with no interview? She is screwed as well.

Not saying that any of the above is true of course - but a zealous FBI smelling blood in the water can easily build the narrative and burn NASA to the ground.

Its actually fitting that the brilliant engineer who is terrible with people is likely to crash and burn because she fell victim to some very basic manipulation.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

To be honest, it depends on if anyone want to gently caress her over. In which case, the FBI DOJ whomever will just make poo poo up whether or not there was wrongdoing.

I don't expect the show to go that route obviously, but it's possible the "even gorby cant restrain the KGB" could lead into a similar situation on the american side (slightly less torture, presumably).

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

DamnGlitch posted:

(slightly less torture, presumably).

:kiddo:

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar
Ed is such a dickhead. I love him.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Loved seeing Wayne again but I think the show missed the perfect opportunity to kill both Ed and Danny by smashing them into the Martian surface, right as Danny revealed 'I am the other guy' and Ed was having those Apollo 10 flashbacks 'not again'.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Wayne/Goo Balls '96

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

pokeyman posted:

Could've been a budgetary decision not to hire the actor for an episode just for one shot of her painting and one line saying hi. (I didn't think of that, was speculation on NASA Vending Machine.) Hope we see her in an episode where she'd have more to do, I miss her!

I've never heard of NASA Vending Machine. I have a flight tomorrow and will listen to an episode. Thanks for mentioning it!

edit:
This weekend I was finally able to convince two of my friends to start this show. Progress.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 11, 2022

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Yeah, wish they’d spend half the time on it with better writing and maybe a better actor for Danny. Feels like they just told a middle of the road thespian to “kinda act like the Joker?” There are hints of interesting ideas about it like Danny not mentioning his wife in his video message and barely caring he has a daughter, but the whole Danny master hacker stuff is silly

Yeah I really hate his acting. It's like he doesn't know how to read a script. That whole video call to his brother, the bits where he was quoting some term or phrase from someone else were just paced all wrong, like that's not how you would say a thing like that, that's how you would read it in front of your 7th grade English class.

Can't recall the exact thing he said and I'm too tired to go back and watch it again, but it just felt so clumsy. Oh by the way the subtitles are apparently from an early draft script, all the mentions of "GPS" during descent were subtitled as "gyroscopes" among myriad other changes, like the Russian guy revealing he was the one who got the radio signals said "I can't wait to hear what song you'll play next" instead of whatever line he said in the final take

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Data Graham posted:

Yeah I really hate his acting. It's like he doesn't know how to read a script. That whole video call to his brother, the bits where he was quoting some term or phrase from someone else were just paced all wrong, like that's not how you would say a thing like that, that's how you would read it in front of your 7th grade English class.

Can't recall the exact thing he said and I'm too tired to go back and watch it again, but it just felt so clumsy. Oh by the way the subtitles are apparently from an early draft script, all the mentions of "GPS" during descent were subtitled as "gyroscopes" among myriad other changes, like the Russian guy revealing he was the one who got the radio signals said "I can't wait to hear what song you'll play next" instead of whatever line he said in the final take

Well, that’s directing more than it is acting. The director ultimately has the responsibility of guiding the actor into a line reading that they want.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I've always wondered about that actually. Doesn't that mean every director has to be an actor, basically? Doesn't the director have to act out every line exactly the way they want the actor to do it? Otherwise there are so many ways to misread the text off a flat script without even bold or italics to emphasize particular words or whatever.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Data Graham posted:

I've always wondered about that actually. Doesn't that mean every director has to be an actor, basically? Doesn't the director have to act out every line exactly the way they want the actor to do it? Otherwise there are so many ways to misread the text off a flat script without even bold or italics to emphasize particular words or whatever.

There's an interview with Kyle MacLachlan about working with David Lynch. Some of mr. MacLachlan's quotes about being directed: "David would tell me 'It needs more Elvis! More Elvis!', or 'think about a wind'. And it would make sense for me!" It's probably more about how the director and the actors are able to communicate these concepts to each other.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ah yeah, there's that; though also there's just the thing where there can be a line like "I know that you're seeing Maloney" and the meaning of the sentence is completely different depending on which word you emphasize, the "I", or the "you're", or the "Maloney", etc. Sometimes I see actors just get it completely wrong — even Aleida did it once in this episode, and I don't know how that slips past both the director and the actor. It seems like a weakness in how scripts are written or something? Like there should be a whole language of mystical stenographer's notations that denote how a sentence should be delivered? I don't know.

Anyway just checking that Danny scene again and it's when he says "when he puts his arm around me or calls me 'kid'" — he just completely flatly says "kid", doesn't say it in a sneering way or emphasize it or anything like you would do in real life. And then "that big dumb grin" is not how you'd say it either, he'd be hunting for words, spitting them out one at a time, not just mumbling them all out.

Eh I don't know what I'm talking about, I just don't like how uncanny it sounds, to the point where I can't believe the subtitles say what they say, it's so incongruous

e: the Aleida read I was thinking of was "Aleksey is a quick study, but he's too quick". Not "TOO quick". I don't know why she emphasized the second "quick", it's very weird

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Jul 11, 2022

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

NASA went to Mars in a little ship for the people and then sent the rest of the cargo separately. Soviets and Helios just made big ships that would take the whole shebang along. So presumably a bunch of modules from the Helios ship will detach and land on the planet. Also likely that the NASA ship will get back to orbit by setting up a proper launch pad (and maybe a booster?) with the cargo.

That said, the show previously made a big deal about them needing to send the cargo on an ambitious slingshot around Venus to make it in time. It wouldn't surprise me if that ended in failure somehow and the NASA/Soviet crew had to cooperate with the Helios crew to set up a joint base.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Data Graham posted:

For sure, Ed and Gordo sometimes do dumb stuff but their actors are charismatic enough they are still likeable. The whole video call/watching Ed's messages could have been much better handled. Show the video message from Karen playing then pivot to Danny watching, never mind explaining how he got access. For his own messages maybe make it clear he doesn't care about his wife but have him show love and affection for his daughter to give him human traits.

Thinking of Robert De Niro in Goodfellas as a way to portray a sociopath properly. Like him at the bar after the robbery looking at his gang, glancing away, then taking a longer look at them and can tell an internal switch being flipped. Or when he's trying to lure Karen (from goodfellas) into the shady warehouse they leave a tiny bit of ambiguity to if it's a trap or not.

Oh yeah I saw the captions too, that was funny how either the GPS or gyroscope going out were treated as interchangeable.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

They did explain how he got access, he got the safe mode password from the impressions nerd.

Whatever you think of the plot line, his deadeyed stare while watching peoples private poo poo is a lot more realistic if than if he was huffing and puffing and acting his rear end off

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Data Graham posted:

It’s the actor’s job to be able to understand their character well enough to deliver at least a passable interpretation of the script when it’s time to do the director’s rehearsal (almost universally done before each scene). Some directors may jump in and mime the blocking, but that can be seen as a faux pas and could ruffle the feathers of a series regular, especially if it’s done by a director who’s only there for an episode or two (very common in tv). Directors don’t necessarily have to be able to act themselves, but they need to know the much more delicate art of adjusting an actor’s performance to their vision. All of the delivery and blocking questions are answered in the director’s rehearsal, and generally are only tweaked after the cameras start rolling.

theflyingexecutive fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jul 11, 2022

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

DamnGlitch posted:

They did explain how he got access, he got the safe mode password from the impressions nerd.

Whatever you think of the plot line, his deadeyed stare while watching peoples private poo poo is a lot more realistic if than if he was huffing and puffing and acting his rear end off

I’ve listened to enough true crime to know that Danny is currently ramping up for berserker mode.

Rental Sting
Aug 14, 2013

it is not the first time I have been racist in the name of my own mistake and sadly probably not the last
The Danny actor is pretty good at expressing some of Gordo's facial tics and vocal mannerisms. I blame the script.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

No chance Danny wasn't winning this race when they did the loving Adama manoeuvrer

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Khablam posted:

No chance Danny wasn't winning this race when they did the loving Adama manoeuvrer

My thoughts exactly. I said, gently caress yeah, the Adam maneuver when I saw it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISmZKuRcAjM&t=56s

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Excuse me. Wild Bill Adama jumps right into the atmosphere, like the mad man he is, and jumped right on out as Galactica was plummeting towards the ground. The Sojourner just glides into the Martian atmosphere, and lands, like a bunch of total chumps.

:colbert:

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Khablam posted:

this part annoyed my nerd nitpicking brain because they didn't show a de-orbit burn before the reorientation

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Whaddya think this is, The Expanse?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

bawfuls posted:

this part annoyed my nerd nitpicking brain because they didn't show a de-orbit burn before the reorientation
And the Helios lander descending by thrusting down.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Khablam posted:

'All hands, brace for turbulence' :getin:

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

NASA went to Mars in a little ship for the people and then sent the rest of the cargo separately. Soviets and Helios just made big ships that would take the whole shebang along. So presumably a bunch of modules from the Helios ship will detach and land on the planet. Also likely that the NASA ship will get back to orbit by setting up a proper launch pad (and maybe a booster?) with the cargo.

That said, the show previously made a big deal about them needing to send the cargo on an ambitious slingshot around Venus to make it in time. It wouldn't surprise me if that ended in failure somehow and the NASA/Soviet crew had to cooperate with the Helios crew to set up a joint base.

From what I recall the plan was still to get the supplies and fuel generator to Mars before Sojourner arrived.

There was talk in an earlier episode about how the Helios mission had a mobile hab. I assume the (trailer spoiler) huge loving rover is that?

Padje
Sep 10, 2003

I don't much care for the attitude of filthy money-lenders

Spacebump posted:

This is why I'm expecting Margo to be removed by the feds in the next couple of episodes. Molly will return then.

Can they give Margo the death penalty? Is what she did treason? Be quite the gut punch if Ellen doesn't pardon her (because someone's got her by the short hairs over her sexuality)

I love Ed sitting in the chair in the middle of the command deck like he's on the Enterprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Padje posted:

Can they give Margo the death penalty? Is what she did treason?

Yup. She wouldn't be the first person to get the death penalty for giving the Soviets secret technology.