Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

neaden posted:

I think Brothers War is just going to be a retelling of the existing story. It never got a set and there are plenty of characters to make legends out of. I'm not sure what Dominaria United will be, Apocalypse block was already Dominaria united against the Phyrexians so doing it again just seems weird.

It got two sets: Antiquities and Urza's Saga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

kalel posted:

care to do the needful for us non-wow nerds

Time travel expansion trying to replay the hits from Warcraft 2.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

kalel posted:

Orc Supremacist dude was in cahoots with a Time Dragon and went back in time to Draenor Before Warcraft 1 and used his knowledge of future events and modern technology to help his Orc Dad unite all the disparate Orc clans by force and then re-open the Dark Portal so they can invade Azeroth in the present time. It's more or less "check out all the dudes you've read about in the lore and also other friends you've seen before but now they're hootin' and hollerin' at each other in cutscenes!" also "check out this sexy blue babe we made for the Alliance players". The actual lore implication of this Draenor is an AU and in this timeline Gul'dan, who died in Warcraft 2, was still alive and snuck through the portal at the end of the expansion to cause the trouble leading into the critically acclaimed World of Warcraft expansion pack Legion.

It's the equivalent of Teferi going back in time to fix some kind of anomaly in the Brother's War that spawned a new timeline and the Yawgmoth of that timeline avoided his fate and snuck his way into our present time.

Oh yeah they sealed off the Draenor AU by having aforementioned blue lady become Light Hitler and forcibly convert or kill all the Orcs into worship of the Light and the remaining Orc refugees ran through the portal and blew it up behind them severing the connection.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.
Clearly Mage Tower has become a thing across all the planes. A scrappy inexperienced club, Dominaria United, has to show the rest of the teams they have have what it takes to win the All Planes Cup. They flounder, but what if a certain planeswalker could go back in time to coach the players from childhood…?

Wonder what mascot they’ll use.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

MonsieurChoc posted:

It got two sets: Antiquities and Urza's Saga.

Antiquities is after the war telling the story from a historical point of view by all the stuff left behind. Urza's Saga is hundreds of years later after Urza has been a Plansewalker for a long time and started to enact his plan against Phyrexia.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

M21 was just Mirage, but with none of the actual flavor or theming of being set on Jamuraa, so gently caress it let's redo Antiquities

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Silhouette posted:

M21 was just Mirage, but with none of the actual flavor or theming of being set on Jamuraa, so gently caress it let's redo Antiquities

I wish they had kept that up, focusing on a different walker each core set was a decent idea;

2019 Bolas
2020 Chandra
2021 Teferi

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

kalel posted:

Basically some dipshit creates an alternate timeline by going to the past and accidentally stops the super evil bad guy from dying in said alternate timeline, and the bad guy figures out what happened and crosses over to the main timeline and starts loving poo poo up, making the impending demon invasion thousands of times worse and getting the main character's dad killed.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Cracked one more today, this one was pretty nice.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Oh wow, Double Masters has certainly done its job. Total value of the set is down 37% from the end of spoiler season.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
buy up everything you want in the next couple weeks before the prices balance out again.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

neaden posted:

I'm not sure what Dominaria United will be, Apocalypse block was already Dominaria united against the Phyrexians so doing it again just seems weird.

Dominaria United will be about assembling a soccer team to compete against New Phyrexia Real.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Oh wow, Double Masters has certainly done its job. Total value of the set is down 37% from the end of spoiler season.

my canary is so close to croaking (in Europe at least)...

https://www.cardmarket.com/en/Magic/Products/Singles/Double-Masters-2022/Pillar-of-the-Paruns

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Do think there's something to that no one really cares about the recent sets. All the creative work in building these works is being completely wasted on it being a two-week thing.

The flavor on the visual level for Khaldheim was on point, as was New Capenna and Cyber Kamigawa. But I can't tell you anything about the plots or literally any character from those. At least with Amonkeht or Khans there's broad strokes you can click with.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I'm the person who doesn't buy singles. I'm also the person who isn't interested in Double Masters. I only got into the Gatherings like this year. I buy packs/boxes, but not set or collectors. I chipped in for a set box once or twice and realised that just opening packs and seeing cards wasn't so exciting for me. Buy I do buy draft boxes/packs, because draft is fun. I play with 3 other people consistently, it isn't my main hobby, and buying a box means 3 drafts at different times. And that's fun.

I've actually started looking at older sets that seem fun that I obviously missed. Drafts are fun, I buy a box, get to have three different events, and also keep cards that I like and give my friends a bunch of cards they like. There's no feasible way to have that experience through singles, and I am not suited for game store environments. So I just play at one of our houses, get to be chill and have a good old time.

I also only have two modes for card values tho, which is "it's worth enough to go through the effort of selling" (hasn't happened yet) or "it's just worthless cardboard". So cracking packs that I paid for and finding a card the someone has been wanting but has been too much to justify buying (Borderless Ancient Gold Dragon was one of these) is easy because I can just go "take it" and not worry about the value. I already paid for the box, money is spent, it's just friggin cardboard.

Sometimes making a friend smile for no extra money on top of a fun day pulling and playin cards makes it the best day ever.

And then we get take out which I never get so I'm like "woah everyone is buying me noodles?!" and it's cause they feel bad I gave them cards and hey, free food for me, we all win.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Yeah I def would have preferred two sets for the new planes to flesh them out a bit more and only one for the second return to Innistrad

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Personally I actually think Kamigawa didn't NEED a second set the way Capenna did. Maybe it would've been a "nice to have" but importantly it was a case where basically the were able to present "thesis/antithesis" in a single set already in the form of "green enchantments/spirituality/tradition" vs "red artifacts/technology/modernity" and also the story was like, 90% personal and the status quo was ultimately maintained. Kamigawa after Neon Dynasty is Kamigawa BEFORE Neon Dynasty except the government is a little bit more stable and the seriously pro technology people are licking their wounds.

New Capenna on the other hand absolutely needed a set of "holy poo poo the angels are back."

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The World Inferno posted:

Do think there's something to that no one really cares about the recent sets. All the creative work in building these works is being completely wasted on it being a two-week thing.

The flavor on the visual level for Khaldheim was on point, as was New Capenna and Cyber Kamigawa. But I can't tell you anything about the plots or literally any character from those. At least with Amonkeht or Khans there's broad strokes you can click with.

Tbf I would guess that most people are in the same boat as me where they couldn’t tell you the plots for any Magic set ever, regardless of block structure.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

fadam posted:

Tbf I would guess that most people are in the same boat as me where they couldn’t tell you the plots for any Magic set ever, regardless of block structure.

That’s me

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Yup

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

Eej posted:

It's the equivalent of Teferi going back in time to fix some kind of anomaly in the Brother's War that spawned a new timeline and the Yawgmoth of that timeline avoided his fate and snuck his way into our present time.

Didn't this already happen (kinda) with Karn spying on K'rrik and Jhoira's love nest, and Sarkhan freeing Ugin on Tarkir?

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
I wonder when prices for singles are going to rebound. i am loving buying a bunch of sub five dollar cards with other printings being worth four or five times as much.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Party Miser posted:

I wonder when prices for singles are going to rebound. i am loving buying a bunch of sub five dollar cards with other printings being worth four or five times as much.
based on the previous double masters's drop and following resurgence, probably 6-12 months

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Toph Bei Fong posted:

Didn't this already happen (kinda) with Karn spying on K'rrik and Jhoira's love nest, and Sarkhan freeing Ugin on Tarkir?

Not really. Kharn went back like a day or two to warn people about the upcoming Phyrexian attack and it ended up causing an explosion that messed up the island. Sarkhan is a bit closer but I think there are now two Takirs, one with dragons and one without.
The real difference is for both of those the time travel was something always planned that happened right away. Going back to change the Brother's War would be returning to a story that happened decades ago and changing it after it has already had an appropriate ending. There were multiple sets dedicated to Urza and Yawgmoth having a showdown and both of them dying, and to come back this long after and change it would be narrativily unsatisfying.

Darkoni
Dec 28, 2010

You do not look terribly noble and yet I feel troubled, attracted, bewitched.

My bet is its gonna be like Ravnica 3 or some of the recent core sets. Nothing really happens but reintroduces a bunch of places and concepts that are going to be very important coming up. If you are a recent player, at best you know Phyrexians are HR Geiger monstrosities. You wouldn't know about their connection to Dominaria and the Thran. Brothers' War and Dominaria United will be a good opportunity to both introduce newer players to Urza, the Thran, og Phyrexia, et. al. and to get that sweet 90s nostalgia money.

We are probably going to continue the ongoing plot in DU, but BW is going to either be a flashback or nonsequiter set. I don't think we have to worry about the Canon changing or time travel shenanigans.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Party Miser posted:

fwiw there is no guarantee for a rebound, Sen Triplets for example never got back up

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Yeah, the niche commanders that are mostly expensive because they only got one printing likely won’t recover much but staples like Smothering Tithe will.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Captain Invictus posted:

based on the previous double masters's drop and following resurgence, probably 6-12 months

I think it's going to be shorter than that, this set is pretty limited and stores are going to stop having draft events like this weekend. I'm buying up what I want like this week and I think they will be back to pre DM prices by the fall. (This is for chase stuff, there are some cards that DM will tank the value for way longer I'd guess.)

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Cavern and FoN are way down, I should probably pick some up before they go back up

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I have Regrets.

Regular foil:
Seasoned Pyromancer
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Rishkar, Peema Renegade
Deathbringer Liege

Borderless:
Panharmonicon
Hardened Scales*
City of Brass*
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth

Etched foil:
Lavalanche
Prized Amalgam
Jeskai Ascendancy
Oracle of Mul Daya*

Borderless foil:
Panharmonicon
Thousand-Year Storm
Chaos Warp*
Muldrotha, the Gravetide

*s are ones I actually wanted.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Darkoni posted:

We are probably going to continue the ongoing plot in DU, but BW is going to either be a flashback or nonsequiter set. I don't think we have to worry about the Canon changing or time travel shenanigans.

They've already said they're not revealing the name of the Winter set because it's tied directly to story beats in BU. If it was just nostalgia they wouldn't worry about spoiling something in a 30 year old story.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Framboise posted:

I have Regrets.

Regular foil:
Seasoned Pyromancer
Roon of the Hidden Realm
Rishkar, Peema Renegade
Deathbringer Liege

Borderless:
Panharmonicon
Hardened Scales*
City of Brass*
Kozilek, Butcher of Truth

Etched foil:
Lavalanche
Prized Amalgam
Jeskai Ascendancy
Oracle of Mul Daya*

Borderless foil:
Panharmonicon
Thousand-Year Storm
Chaos Warp*
Muldrotha, the Gravetide

*s are ones I actually wanted.

I watched a guy at a LGS crack a box that was pretty much the same garbo as this one other than his was even worse because you got a borderless eldrazi lol

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
i ordered a collectors box and they forgot to ship it to me. I'm ok with this because they gave me a refund. I'm sure i would have been horribly disappointed, or chasing that gambling high wouldn't have been worth it. I settled for opening a draft box though...

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

I only know the basics of the story. I'm glad it's there for people, but I'm a simpleton who appreciates the visual aspect, some of the larger story points (the guilds, the planes) but I pretty much focus on the mechanical side of the game.

I have no interest in learning all the hooha of the long rear end story. I don't know who Kaalia of the Vast is story wise, but I know she has good art and also is a good card mechanically. That's enough for me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
https://twitter.com/molleindustria/status/1545855635228614656

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Eej posted:

Orc Supremacist dude was in cahoots with a Time Dragon and went back in time to Draenor Before Warcraft 1 and used his knowledge of future events and modern technology to help his Orc Dad unite all the disparate Orc clans by force and then re-open the Dark Portal so they can invade Azeroth in the present time. It's more or less "check out all the dudes you've read about in the lore and also other friends you've seen before but now they're hootin' and hollerin' at each other in cutscenes!" also "check out this sexy blue babe we made for the Alliance players". The actual lore implication of this Draenor is an AU and in this timeline Gul'dan, who died in Warcraft 2, was still alive and snuck through the portal at the end of the expansion to cause the trouble leading into the critically acclaimed World of Warcraft expansion pack Legion.

Oh yeah they sealed off the Draenor AU by having aforementioned blue lady become Light Hitler and forcibly convert or kill all the Orcs into worship of the Light and the remaining Orc refugees ran through the portal and blew it up behind them severing the connection.

on second thought

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

DSA slate dude too. based as gently caress

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

could have gone with any X spell to make that joke lol. hell they could have gone with "generous patron." hopefully their demographic algorithm is good enough not to send the "death cloud" email to a bunch of boomers

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I dunno if I would've gone for Death Cloud though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Prosperity probably would've been a better choice imo but props to the dude for keeping it real with a mono black game ender

If I lived in Brooklyn he'd have my vote