Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

Very early after release, when seeing a level 30 was crazy, a friend of an in-game friend stole a polished granite tomahawk from the group he was in.

I think that was the name of it at least. It had a chance to proc a short lived invulnerability, so everyone treated it like a god-tier item because existence was nothing but pain back then. The guy who ninja’d the weapon saw his reputation completely destroyed by that event, and could no longer get a group anywhere, so he had to re-roll. But at least our other warrior friend now had a really good tanking item!

It was big drama in the early days, when getting high enough level to steal the item took days, and the thing actually loving sucked for tanking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I have so many memories of doing gear swaps by hiding dropped bags in some random inn in Qeynos or Freeport. It was always a rush to see if my 56k modem and 128 mb of ram could get me back before it rotted .

I remember being 13 years old and running scams where I would offer a 5 or 10 dose SoW potion (whatever was the max back then) on my level 32 shaman that I had been playing for 8 months . I’d put it in the trade window and wait for them to put the money in and cancel it. Then say oops my bad and throw a 1 dose SoW potion in the window. Back then you couldn’t see how many doses were in a potion unless you inspected it. So I’d grift an extra 15pp or whatever and run away laughing.

The one time me and my rear end in a top hat friend ever did a group scam we convinced some guy to give me the money for the item my friend would give him or something stupid and he fell for it.

A day later they took the item from my buddy’s inventory and just put it in the inventory of the guy who paid for it.

Also back when I was 15 or so a buddy of mine chipped in and split an account on EBay for $550 that was supposedly a level 50 mage with like every amazing item you could imagine on his Magelo page. He sent us a level 30 mage with nothing. And there was nothing we could do about it because it was against EBay’s TOS to sell accounts, even though they would actually go through with the sale of the buy it now was met before they could remove the listing.

That was rough.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro
Productive evening! Waro and I thought we had some momentum in the Hole to grind out 49 -> 50 but joined a couple dud groups that were just about to disband and sleep.

Ended up finishing it out the hard way patroling with a giant hasted lizard searching for an ancient cyclops. About a half hour after the 50 ding, it spawned directly in front of me. Like, I didn't even have to step forward to nuke him. If I didn't know any better, it felt like a GM manually spawned him right there:

That was a major milestone I wanted to accomplish on this TLP. Feeling very raid ready now that I have my "junk" buff ready to go!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Devor posted:

My heart would always be racing when I would do drop transfers. I don't recall my go-to spots, but I did one near a wall in a random spot of Butcherblock mountains one time, probably just some newbie gear, Polished Granite Tomahawk type stuff. Zone just had a few people in it, but I logged back in to find a newbie had picked up one of my bags.

He nicely returned it, so I gave him half the coin back as a reward.

In retrospect I don't know why I didn't do in a spot where you would be hidden from someone walking by and seeing you camp out.

Yeah I would go to an obscure zone, find an off the beaten path /loc and make sure both characters were there before a swap heh. Kids these days with their shared bank accounts have it easy

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Devor posted:

My heart would always be racing when I would do drop transfers. I don't recall my go-to spots...

Mine was Katta Island. No one ever went there.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Back in the day on my very first character ever on an old compaq machine it would lag while on the boat and I would die in the middle of the ocean bc my machine couldn't handle zoning that quickly. I ended up re-rolling a ranger since I lost so much exp to that so life was pain all around.

Porterhaus
Jun 6, 2006

Zero to Gyro

Waroduce posted:

Back in the day on my very first character ever on an old compaq machine it would lag while on the boat and I would die in the middle of the ocean bc my machine couldn't handle zoning that quickly. I ended up re-rolling a ranger since I lost so much exp to that so life was pain all around.

I cobbled together a second PC with two modems from spare parts in the neighborhood so that I could run the 20 year old version of ShowEQ and find Quillmane for my mage epic. I can confidently say EQ experiences like this and later WoW raids and navigating the associated hardware and software foibles are in large part responsible for my career now.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

blatman posted:

i knew a guy who sold "fungi tunics" except he would put the fungi in trade, esc out, then say sorry and reopen trade with a cloth tunic since they shared the icon

What was his success ratio on that little trick?

Devor posted:

My heart would always be racing when I would do drop transfers. I don't recall my go-to spots, but I did one near a wall in a random spot of Butcherblock mountains one time, probably just some newbie gear, Polished Granite Tomahawk type stuff. Zone just had a few people in it, but I logged back in to find a newbie had picked up one of my bags.

He nicely returned it, so I gave him half the coin back as a reward.

In retrospect I don't know why I didn't do in a spot where you would be hidden from someone walking by and seeing you camp out.

I did this all the time. I used a room in the Jade Tiger Inn in North Freeport. Surprisingly, I never lost an item this way.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Node posted:

What was his success ratio on that little trick?

he sold like..2 or 3 before the trick became common enough knowledge that it stopped working, i think a later patch added the name of the trade item to your chat log but i don't remember if that was early enough to play a part in ending the scam. he would basically spin up an alt with a generic bank mule sounding name every once in awhile, run the scam until it hits or people bitched enough where it would never hit then deleted the alt and went back into hiding on his main for a week or two

i don't remember if he ever got slapped by a gm for that one, iirc he bailed out of the game much later during the peak of planes of power by convincing a guild that he was dying of nebulous health issues to get carried through plane of time and then sold the account once it was fully geared/flagged but it's been long enough where i might be conflating two different people

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

blatman posted:

convincing a guild that he was dying of nebulous health issues to get carried through plane of time and then sold the account once it was fully geared/flagged

That’s next level :vince:

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I used to sell my geared WoW rogue to gold farmers then reclaim the account through Blizzards' system with my ID. Did it 3 or 4 times total :v:

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I think I have given myself brain damage killing Hill Giants on Yelinak.

up to 19 Krono though :shepicide:

That place is filled with the worst possible people 24/7.
I don't even know why I keep doing it. Probably because there is literally nothing to do left for me in Classic. 2 months is too long.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
You could raise up a second necro so you can sac both accounts and stock up essence emeralds once kunark arrives.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Had a successful 3-man / 7-box (war, clr, brd, dru, shm, mag, enc) hate farm last night with sick drops: 3 Mage, 3 Enchanter, 4 Shaman, 2 Cleric and 5 Warrior including mage, enc, shm, Warr breastplates. Also about 10 blue diamonds 4 jacinths, 4 diamonds and 6 black sapphires.

Oggwhomp is wearing his silver skull tank top and his chain mail diapey. Suns out guns out!

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Had a successful 3-man / 7-box (war, clr, brd, dru, shm, mag, enc) hate farm last night with sick drops: 3 Mage, 3 Enchanter, 4 Shaman, 2 Cleric and 5 Warrior including mage, enc, shm, Warr breastplates. Also about 10 blue diamonds 4 jacinths, 4 diamonds and 6 black sapphires.

Oggwhomp is wearing his silver skull tank top and his chain mail diapey. Suns out guns out!

Oggwhomp do da bidness

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.

Malaria posted:

I think I have given myself brain damage killing Hill Giants on Yelinak.

up to 19 Krono though :shepicide:

That place is filled with the worst possible people 24/7.
I don't even know why I keep doing it. Probably because there is literally nothing to do left for me in Classic. 2 months is too long.

And here I am thinking two months isn't enough lol.

Don't even have my fiery avenger yet.

Is necro the best farming class?

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."

Verbose posted:

And here I am thinking two months isn't enough lol.

Don't even have my fiery avenger yet.

Is necro the best farming class?

Depends. For farming single target mobs yes probably and outside of that they’re still p great. There are situations where mages edge out for tradeskill farming and after a few expacs the necro pet becomes less relevant for necros compared to their dots, or so it’s been explained to me. And while your dots are Uber powerful they’re not necessarily time efficient for clearing lots of trash.

I think on TLPs part of the prevalence and preference for necros is because of how DOT damage is credited for assigning kills. They revamped it at some point to make it harder to kill steal from dot classes and it kind of tipped things in the other direction. You won’t kill steal from a necro. If they land the dot after you engaged they still might be taking it from you. A few TLPs back I don’t think dps on my mage got to the point where I could stop necros and shamans from ganking kills from me was until damage AAs and spell damage focus items, so like PoP before I noticed I could land bolts that would outpace a dot while farming Wyvern hides.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Poison dot line is just an absurdly insane amount of damage output.

Necros get fun farming spots other classes don’t, mostly thanks to FD as a fail safe if aggro gets wonky, or if your pet pull accidentally pulled an entire floor not just the one mob you wanted. It’s also as mentioned super useful because your pet is kinda utility rather than how you survive pulls. Lifetap tanking is totally a thing with dots rolling.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
My friends were jealous in the good ol' days because I played a Necro and could solo the Frenzied room at 50. Meanwhile my Rogue friend was begging for groups so he could do anything.

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

For classic it's just the Envenomed bolt spell. Shaman get it too. It does so much damage. Hill Giants don't have a ton of HP so whoever lands the ebolt first wins. The Hill Giant spot is 100% cancer and everyone is trying to KS everyone. But I can make close to 2000 plat in an hour. Krono is like 3100p on Yelinak right now so I have made a ton.

There is always an enchanter there who charms a level 50 Ranger mob that's hard to KS as well. Once in a while a Wizard will beat be on a HG(this is due to a wizard needing 2 nukes to kill one), but their mana regen is trash, and they can't really keep up in the long run.

I think Daybreak needs to nerf the giant spawn. It just floods the game 24/7 with plat. I can only imagine how much Krono was made by the people who rushed to level real fast and got there when Krono was like 500 each.

I played a Wizard on Thornblade last year and had an awful time. Necro has been super fun this year. Necro is great for farming, and in classic I'm top 5 DPS in every raid parse, often #1 or 2 if I can charm something.
I have a 50 Druid that I leveled first, but it's now just a buff/port box for the necro.

Malaria fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jul 8, 2022

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Malaria posted:

I think Daybreak needs to nerf the giant spawn. It just floods the game 24/7 with plat. I can only imagine how much Krono was made by the people who rushed to level real fast and got there when Krono was like 500 each.

I feel like they did. They were originally in another area too in the south of the zone that was much larger.

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
Cold-called some randos into joining us in CT at the temple. Went from 30 to 33 last night. I've got a static leveling group of monk, necro, shaman - thoughts on good places to go next ? Thinking Splitpaw maybe.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I am sad the mega exp bonus on Vaniki is over and I didn’t make it to 55. It was a long week at work and one of the days I dedicated to leveling got cut short by our neighbors house being on fire, lol. Last night in the final hours I found a Dulak group (and then we went to Nadox) and went from 41 to 51. I’ll take that!

At first I was kinda bummed that Vaniki isn’t as popular as some of the other TLPs but I’ve already made friends with people around my level and my rep as a solid group tank should hopefully make it easy to group up from 51-55 and then beyond when more levels are unlocked.

What should my stat priority be as an SK? I was in a group with another SK last night and he said I should only focus on AC. I get that, but some of the pieces he was suggesting id be losing a lot of stats including a ton of stamina and HP, and sacrificing mana as well which I use to hold aggro.

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jul 9, 2022

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

cmdrk posted:

Cold-called some randos into joining us in CT at the temple. Went from 30 to 33 last night. I've got a static leveling group of monk, necro, shaman - thoughts on good places to go next ? Thinking Splitpaw maybe.

Big issue with paw is the ease of killing yourselves due to getting too many and the fact that half the zone is enchanters, your resists will be poo poo and then they will tash you so you'll have zero MR and get hit with all their BS.

Also I think there are wizards there that hurt IIRC because they get out of era spells.

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Friends don’t let friends exp in Paw.

If you don’t care about gnome faction (you shouldn’t) gnome fort in SolA is good money and exp around low 30s iirc. Might be more a high 20s it has been a while. I usually do almost all of my classic late 20s to late 30s in lguk though. BR from mid 20s, rear end/sup low 30s, any camp on bottom floor 35-40s.

If you have an enchanter, you can get the hole entrance mobs starting around 37 or so.

onesixtwo fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 9, 2022

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
Do the Ghoulbane turn in items drop pre kunark? The drat shin lord has an army of necros and mages camped out in it's room

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

I seem to remember pally being one you could 100% prep pre kunark and insta finish on launch but idk

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

LuckyCat posted:

I am sad the mega exp bonus on Vaniki is over and I didn’t make it to 55. It was a long week at work and one of the days I dedicated to leveling got cut short by our neighbors house being on fire, lol. Last night in the final hours I found a Dulak group (and then we went to Nadox) and went from 41 to 51. I’ll take that!

At first I was kinda bummed that Vaniki isn’t as popular as some of the other TLPs but I’ve already made friends with people around my level and my rep as a solid group tank should hopefully make it easy to group up from 51-55 and then beyond when more levels are unlocked.

What should my stat priority be as an SK? I was in a group with another SK last night and he said I should only focus on AC. I get that, but some of the pieces he was suggesting id be losing a lot of stats including a ton of stamina and HP, and sacrificing mana as well which I use to hold aggro.

As far as I know AC is king. Much more important than HP an definitely more important than stamina.

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

onesixtwo posted:

Friends don’t let friends exp in Paw.

This. It's a brutally bad zone full of wizards, enchanters and I believe clerics. All the mobs run, and their patching is terrible and you'll catch bad adds that wipe the group if you're not vigilant. At that level, you really need to pulling past the double doors and that's not great. There's also barely any good loot there and it's a maze.

Mistmoore castle and castle entrance will be good experience but tricky and fun. Gnome castle in Sol A would be an interesting experience that's not the traditional leveling path. Otherwise you're looking at Guk (bedroom/asssup, exe/cav/sav, frenzied/sentinel and later hamlord) or Sol B (kobolds then bnb then efreeti).

If you're looking for something interesting and "off the beaten path" you could try Guk live side. It's much harder than dead side with bigger pulls, runners, shamans, and it has some interesting loot pieces for all 3 of those classes. Start at the cross-over from dead side doing things like the beholder and minotaurs, and then head towards keep as you level. Bring an enchanter or make that shaman earn it's keep doing CC. I went and duo'd it with shaman and enchanter during the bonus week and had a good time crawling from the keep to the king and back and forth.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Malaria posted:

For classic it's just the Envenomed bolt spell. Shaman get it too. It does so much damage. Hill Giants don't have a ton of HP so whoever lands the ebolt first wins. The Hill Giant spot is 100% cancer and everyone is trying to KS everyone. But I can make close to 2000 plat in an hour. Krono is like 3100p on Yelinak right now so I have made a ton.

There is always an enchanter there who charms a level 50 Ranger mob that's hard to KS as well. Once in a while a Wizard will beat be on a HG(this is due to a wizard needing 2 nukes to kill one), but their mana regen is trash, and they can't really keep up in the long run.

I played a Wizard on Thornblade last year and had an awful time. Necro has been super fun this year. Necro is great for farming, and in classic I'm top 5 DPS in every raid parse, often #1 or 2 if I can charm something.
I have a 50 Druid that I leveled first, but it's now just a buff/port box for the necro.

Is there any single best farmer for Kunark?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

LuckyCat posted:

none of the stats you'd want to sacrifice AC for exist in the early expansions I don't think

i don't think this changes until heroic stats are introduced when it's sometimes worth it to sacrifice ac for h-dex

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Verbose posted:

Is there any single best farmer for Kunark?

DoT damage is computed when the spell hits. Shaman/Necro stays king because of ebolt/bane and plague/poxx until luclin when wizards get manaburn. The dots do a lot of damage because dots were rebalanced at some point and retroactively applied to all past dots, but without respect for TLPs.

I think ebolt and plague together is like 3.8k.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

So the difference is that one can charm and one just gets pets?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Verbose posted:

So the difference is that one can charm and one just gets pets?

Both have pets. Necro pet is nowhere near as strong as mage pets right now, but they are miles ahead of shaman pets which are effectively useless unless you are farming grey cons. Necros can charm undead pretty effectively, Shamans get charm animal which I’ve never seen used but maybe can be useful?

But both get Damage over time spells that are powerful and make them good for farming due to the way DoT damage is calculated or whatever the more informed people were discussing above.

I’d probably pick a Necro if it was strictly for farming because their skill set is amazing for getting to, splitting, and holding down a camp or basically any mob they want.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

LuckyCat posted:

Veksar. I did 40-50 there, then stayed to gear out, then did 51-55 in a night. This goes directly to the question about gear. You can basically gear out in Veksar with near-best groupable stuff.

quote:

Social reputation is your most valuable resource in EQ. Make friends, be dependable, you'll never have issues.

quote:

AC is your top priority. I had a tough time giving up gloomingdeep stuff for a little more AC, and no stats, but once you start getting drops that are around double the AC of Gloomingdeep, plus a couple stats and some HP/Mana/End, it's a no brainer.

Basically, keep your Sta and Agi above 100, Str as high as you can reasonably keep it, Int=Mana=Threat (though less important now since you could sit for 42 seconds and basically have 3 more pulls worth of mana).

Later on you'll be spending dozens of hours farming AC augs from miserable zones for a +5AC difference in the one you're swapping out. And it'll be worth it

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

DisgracelandUSA posted:

Lol I was looking for you, you messaged me that one time and was like oh Oggwhomp tired maybe /q and I was like what's /q

And thats how I quit during the middle of a pull lmao

I've been parked in Hate all weekend trying to get any Bard armor and so far just have the gloves 😭 managed to kill the BP mob though destroyer last night and it dropped......the item for the pally epic

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

koreban posted:

Veksar. I did 40-50 there, then stayed to gear out, then did 51-55 in a night. This goes directly to the question about gear. You can basically gear out in Veksar with near-best groupable stuff.

Social reputation is your most valuable resource in EQ. Make friends, be dependable, you'll never have issues.

AC is your top priority. I had a tough time giving up gloomingdeep stuff for a little more AC, and no stats, but once you start getting drops that are around double the AC of Gloomingdeep, plus a couple stats and some HP/Mana/End, it's a no brainer.

Basically, keep your Sta and Agi above 100, Str as high as you can reasonably keep it, Int=Mana=Threat (though less important now since you could sit for 42 seconds and basically have 3 more pulls worth of mana).

Later on you'll be spending dozens of hours farming AC augs from miserable zones for a +5AC difference in the one you're swapping out. And it'll be worth it

Monumentally helpful post, thank you!

I went Baz shopping and I got my AC from 399 to 440 and all my Gloomingdeep replaced. I looked for things that were maximum AC per pp in the midrange (so a 30 AC bp for 450pp versus a 33 AC bp for 2500pp).

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jul 10, 2022

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
I ended up going to Paw before reading the replies here :v:

Actually it was okay- I've done a lot of Paw before and didn't have much problem with spelunking down to the Rosch Val L'Vlor spawn. It was up, we killed it and it dropped a shiny new Gnoll Hide Tome for our Necro.

I've been wanting to avoid the usual Mistmoore, Unrest etc because I've done them to death elsewhere.

I didn't realize LGuk was relatively low, maybe we'll hit up AssUp - the other problem with doing the popular zones is that bringing 3 people seems to be rough for us to get into/start groups in zones that are otherwise mega camped.

What I have been noticing is that grouping with randoms can be really painful. So often I'm grouping with people who are now in their low 30s and still meleeing on their casters and not sitting between fights, so they never have mana when it's needed. why!?!?!?! I can only assume they've been going at it since the beginning but exceptionally slowly. I guess this is my punishment for playing casually.

rally
Nov 19, 2002

yospos

Waroduce posted:

Lol I was looking for you, you messaged me that one time and was like oh Oggwhomp tired maybe /q and I was like what's /q

I've been parked in Hate all weekend trying to get any Bard armor and so far just have the gloves 😭 managed to kill the BP mob though destroyer last night and it dropped......the item for the pally epic

Destroyer is just for the pally epic. All the armor drops off the same mobs ( the banshees ). Unfortunately there aren’t a ton of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Waroduce posted:

Yeah. /q looks like you went link dead so you can /q, wait 15 minutes until your group finds a replacement and then you're free to do something else. Or you can just make up a lie, go /anon and then go do something else "oh noooooo guys, I've got wife aggro, you know how it is, so sorry, need to drop". This explanation would've been more interesting if you had asked Oggwhomp what he meant.

The group I invited you to was a hole CE group maybe? It was okay, not great, but we needed a puller. I think I ended up pulling on the enchanter, which is workable but not great.

I'll probably be in hate to finish gearing mag/enc/clr/shm/war after raids tomorrow and Tuesday. Our crew doesn't need bard gear so I'll keep an eye out for you.