Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Every time Penny Mordaunt comes up I have to remind myself that her name belongs to a person, and not to a ship

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Ahaha how is heatstroke even real, like open your windows dude, ahaha move to Scotland.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Every time Penny Mordaunt comes up I have to remind myself that her name belongs to a person, and not to a ship
"Mordaunt" sounds like a boss–level evil wizard, shrouded in night and casting pestilence on all it touches.

It's another case of nominative determinism in the Tory party is what I'm saying

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

TACD posted:

"Mordaunt" sounds like a boss–level evil wizard, shrouded in night and casting pestilence on all it touches.

It's another case of nominative determinism in the Tory party is what I'm saying

It gets much more wizard-esque when you remember that her forename is Penelope.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
it's a very discworld name imo

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.
Belongs on the secret menu of a Victorian opiate-den.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

if old people don't like the heat they should just leave. this is BRITISH heat for BRITISH patriots. the rest of us will just use our stiff, abnormally dry upper lip. where's your blitz spirit

The UK worked very hard to industrialize the world and is now reaping the benefits! Don't talk us down!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Penny Mordaunt is what Penny Dreadful evolves into

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

SixFigureSandwich posted:

maybe her awful "leadership shouldn't be about the leader, but about the ship" slogan is a ploy to play on this. make people think they're voting for a sentient boat. i'd vote for a boat

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I'm old and was in france during the incredibly insane heatwave they had in the late 80s. Forests and vineyards spontaneously combusted.

There was a heat wave in France in the early 2000s. The morgues were overcrowded with unclaimed elderly victims of the heat because families didn’t want to come back early from their August vacations.

But vintners had an excellent harvest they year.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

sebzilla posted:

Penny Mordaunt is what Penny Dreadful evolves into

I thought it was a cheap fixative for dying cloth?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

You have to trade her while she is holding the cloth

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I thought it was a cheap fixative for dying cloth?

Also similar piss contents.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
Jonnie Peacock has asked to be removed from Penny Mordaunt's video. No comment from Oscar Pistorius so far.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

Jonnie Peacock has asked to be removed from Penny Mordaunt's video. No comment from Oscar Pistorius so far.

has Jo Cox said anything

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Definite "this is the last thing we wanted to happen" vibes following that mordaunt video. Just waiting to hear it includes a clip of Jimmy Saville and Fred West at this point.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

fuctifino posted:

A lovely example from Pointless Letters:

Horrors inflicted on us by the tories: deportations without trial or appeal, 120,000+ dead from austerity, cost of living crisis, hundreds of thousands dead from covid mismanagement, culture war against the existence of LGBTQ+ rights, and complete destruction of the economy and our international reputation.

Horrors visited on us by wokeism: Landlords might have to get a real job, some laws include people with non standard pronouns, people with blue hair visible in public, probably 10% more tax on the super rich & corporations.

How will poor Dave ever survive.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I still have no idea who tf penny mordaunt is

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
high diver

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

i am not sure penny mordaunt knows who penny mordaunt is

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

I like when she says "It's Mordin' time" in her campaign video.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

the sex ghost posted:

dont like it melt simple as

Soon enough, Britain will be more melts than not.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I like when she says "It's Mordin' time" in her campaign video.

Oh, so that's what that recent movie was about.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Angepain posted:

maybe her awful "leadership shouldn't be about the leader, but about the ship" slogan is a ploy to play on this. make people think they're voting for a sentient boat. i'd vote for a boat
Votey McBoatface.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Oh, lord, the dissolve from Penny Mordant to Prime Minister.

Two questions about the video: (1) What's the music? (2) Is this incredibly White?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I hope it doesn't get that hot. It makes me really sad about how little I can do to make the world better and makes me want to cry.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I'm glad I'm powerless to materially affect the world. I'd only gently caress it up.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Mordaunt is alright. But who is the mostdaunt

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Finally got round to watching this and it's perfect 👌

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Oh, lord, the dissolve from Penny Mordant to Prime Minister.

Two questions about the video: (1) What's the music? (2) Is this incredibly White?

It's Jupiter: Bringer of Jollity by Gustav Holst. Decent piece of music that does get used by a lot of folks to represent the rolling hills of England and such unfortunately.

Edit: Haha yeah I was trying to find that Day Today video because I'm pretty sure I looked up the music when I heard it in that video.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I always think it's someone trying and failing to start jerusalem.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

I hope it doesn't get that hot. It makes me really sad about how little I can do to make the world better and makes me want to cry.

I would offer you a hug and a day out in the woods if I could Josef.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
That sounds like a threat.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I revised the post a couple of times to try and make it sound less like some sort of hobbit firing squad but that was the best I could manage.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

thebardyspoon posted:

It's Jupiter: Bringer of Jollity by Gustav Holst. Decent piece of music that does get used by a lot of folks to represent the rolling hills of England and such unfortunately.

Edit: Haha yeah I was trying to find that Day Today video because I'm pretty sure I looked up the music when I heard it in that video.

also had a boring patriotic song shoved into it with little regard for meter as per normal with this kind of thing

definitely a Jupiter hipster, i preferred their earlier section now the second one's got too mainstream and popular

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That is probably why I keep thinking it's jerusalem cos they probably do both at the proms.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Ahahaha... loving hell.

https://twitter.com/LBC/status/1546202873331056641

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

OwlFancier posted:

I always think it's someone trying and failing to start jerusalem.
I keep hearing a bit of the love theme from Conan the Barbarian. One of the greatest movie soundtracks.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

That is probably why I keep thinking it's jerusalem cos they probably do both at the proms.

I Vow To Thee... isn't sung at the Last Night of the Proms. It's more of a Remembrance Sunday thing, and usually gets the full 'choir of Chelsea pensioners each shed a single tear as they are surrounded by poppy petals dropped from a drone mocked up as a Lancaster' treatment at the Festival of Remembrance at the Royal Albert Hall.

Jerusalem is always the closing song (except the national anthem) at the Proms. It's a much better song - lyrically, musically and message - than I Vow To Thee, which Gustav Holst had no desire and zero energy to set to music, realised that his melody from The Planet would fit with a bit of tweaking and sent it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I keep hearing a bit of the love theme from Conan the Barbarian. One of the greatest movie soundtracks.

Holst is the most ripped off composer in cinema scoring, and it's just not limited to John Williams who made his whole career off it