Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kaaj
Jun 23, 2013

don't stop, carry on.
Evolve chat.

I learned a hard lesson today about remembering to backup saves. I refreshed the page accidentally and it reverted to a very old save (like from when I started playing the game, ancient save). I tried restoring the backup both using the game UI and local storage but it only had the version which I imported on this machine, about 1 -2 weeks ago or so. Like if the progress from the last week was wiped.

It's not a big loss as I was mostly idling in the background but still. I immediately backed up the Trimps run in progress though :)

kaaj fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jul 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Whelp, that's the first 0* Ascension done (in Standard), question I have no is, what's next? I can see a lot has opened up for me but I'm a little unsure of what progression would look like right now. Doing Ascensions in other Universes? More * Ascensions? The EM Challenge? Do I take my shiny new low-value Harmony crystal and go pillar my first species, aiming to weave Ascensions and Pillar runs?

Also something that I didn't see discussed much in Custom species chat is, what Genus? I went for Small, because I like cost-creep discounts, but I can see quite a lot of Genuses have strong late-game effects that absolutely apply to Ascension+ content.

And I also wanted to ask, I noticed that the Angel trait that causes you to start Unified is recommended, and while I can see the advantage doesn't it lock you out of Slavery until... Hell? What generates slaves post-global conflict, Hell + Andromeda?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

KazigluBey posted:

Whelp, that's the first 0* Ascension done (in Standard), question I have no is, what's next? I can see a lot has opened up for me but I'm a little unsure of what progression would look like right now. Doing Ascensions in other Universes? More * Ascensions? The EM Challenge? Do I take my shiny new low-value Harmony crystal and go pillar my first species, aiming to weave Ascensions and Pillar runs?

Also something that I didn't see discussed much in Custom species chat is, what Genus? I went for Small, because I like cost-creep discounts, but I can see quite a lot of Genuses have strong late-game effects that absolutely apply to Ascension+ content.

And I also wanted to ask, I noticed that the Angel trait that causes you to start Unified is recommended, and while I can see the advantage doesn't it lock you out of Slavery until... Hell? What generates slaves post-global conflict, Hell + Andromeda?

There's a slave market and you can even make your governor keep you topped off.

I don't know the optimal custom species. Slaver is really good because it's hard to get that trait otherwise, and it can get picked up on your next two runs as religious inherits.

After that I think it's brute, chameleon, compact and creative. You want to maximize soul gems and cut back on cost creep.

There's a ton of free points from negative traits you can get. How often do you change governments? Get the trait that makes it take longer.

And you might want to push for more than a 0* for ascension, because by the time you're ready to ascend, you might as well do a pillar... and you want to have a net positive on crystals.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There's a slave market and you can even make your governor keep you topped off.

I don't know the optimal custom species. Slaver is really good because it's hard to get that trait otherwise, and it can get picked up on your next two runs as religious inherits.

After that I think it's brute, chameleon, compact and creative. You want to maximize soul gems and cut back on cost creep.

There's a ton of free points from negative traits you can get. How often do you change governments? Get the trait that makes it take longer.

And you might want to push for more than a 0* for ascension, because by the time you're ready to ascend, you might as well do a pillar... and you want to have a net positive on crystals.

Also there's no reason to have done it in standard. Or to do anything in standard. Blackhole out at 4* and never go back. Any achievement earned in a different universe also unlocks it in standard. Except for micro. There are three micro-only achievements but the rest just give you the micro universe icon and don't unlock it in standard.

Heavy is best long term for farming most things.

After I did my first 4*+pillar ascension I did the two cataclysm achievements. They really sucked. Really badly. Like hours of waiting for a single building, throughout the whole run.

Then I started doing EM field. First a 3* to get most of the benefits, then 4* in Evil, micro, magic, heavy, antimatter. Should finish up magic tomorrow afternoon.

After that, I guess MAD and bioseed true path and start pillaring other races in heavy.

Also re: custom races: I leave out creative and kindling kindred and just do two 0* MADs as human and ent to pick them up. A MAD run should only take an hour or less so it's reasonable to skip them in a custom race.

New Yorp New Yorp fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 4, 2022

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
RE: Egg Inc

I started playing a few days ago and have avoided paying for anything. I've just noticed that opening the piggy bank has just been discounted 40%, presumably because they REALLY want me to spend some money on it.

I'm just wondering if there will be a further discount if I keep waiting?

There's 9,771 eggs in there and it seems like they'd go a decent way toward fully upgrading the "Hold to hatch" research but often times premium currency/upgrades in idle games can look like they'll be way more helpful than they are. I've outright hacked premium currency is some idle games and many of them have still been tremendous grinds even when I spend 10 solid minutes mashing a button to spend hacked currency.

Actually a second question: What is considered to be the most helpful Epic research to spend golden eggs on? I have/prefer a pretty active play style, if that helps.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Mr Scumbag posted:

RE: Egg Inc

I started playing a few days ago and have avoided paying for anything. I've just noticed that opening the piggy bank has just been discounted 40%, presumably because they REALLY want me to spend some money on it.

I'm just wondering if there will be a further discount if I keep waiting?

There's 9,771 eggs in there and it seems like they'd go a decent way toward fully upgrading the "Hold to hatch" research but often times premium currency/upgrades in idle games can look like they'll be way more helpful than they are. I've outright hacked premium currency is some idle games and many of them have still been tremendous grinds even when I spend 10 solid minutes mashing a button to spend hacked currency.

Actually a second question: What is considered to be the most helpful Epic research to spend golden eggs on? I have/prefer a pretty active play style, if that helps.

I've played it on and off a few times since it started, my save has constantly moved with me but I've also never paid a dime. I've never been in the super end game. At launch I did clear everything but now dailies or whatever the events are called are out. Every time I've tried since they are added boy are they a time sink slog. It's been like 6 months since the last time I played but I remember the events being the primary money funneling currency. Bank premium currency stuff is always a massive scam in these games. It gets bigger and scales with the player, but since your income is constantly going up it's all relative. You are basically skipping x hours of idle time.

In a game where it gets worse the longer you play, I don't think you want to rush to the end.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

I've been playing Idle Slayer lately. It's real dumb and you probably shouldn't play it, but you could. It does have numbers that go up.

Thank you for reading my review.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

WTFBEES posted:

I've been playing Idle Slayer lately. It's real dumb and you probably shouldn't play it, but you could. It does have numbers that go up.

But what dumb part of the loop is keeping you playing? Maybe someone is looking to fill a weird shaped game hole.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

pixaal posted:

But what dumb part of the loop is keeping you playing? Maybe someone is looking to fill a weird shaped game hole.

Yeah ok, fair point.

Idle Slayer is an something between a side scrolling platformer and an endless runner. It'll generally do it's own thing and earn passive income and kill the random smattering of enemies, though you can click to jump (grabbing coins up in the air or killing flying enemies) or dash (which is just a fast forward button). That income can be used to generate faster passive income and occasionally add the mildest of new skills.

Over it all there's a presige mechanic with some other slight upgrades and a few different zones, none of which really changes much about what you're doing.

What keeps me playing it? Honestly, it's mostly a lack of better idle games, but there is something slightly amusing about paying attention to it for a few minutes, leaping into some bad things and crossing off some achievements.

If you have really simple expectations, you could do worse. Just don't expect anything particularly deep or strategic.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
No dont buy the piggybank in Egg Inc (holy poo poo dont buy freemium currency in an idler)

I played it about a year ago. After a week or so i had 10k’ish prestige eggs, then i got a group event that awarded well over a billion. (So basically 100000 times the amount of eggs i had)
And even with this boost i barely got to the next egg type, as the upgrades scale exponentially.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

It's extremely rare that I'll ever buy currency in these games, since I'm able to hack it in many cases and I'm also pretty patient. But in some cases when I like the game a lot and the price is very low for a one-off purchase that can can buy one or two quality of life things, I'll go ahead and spend up to five bucks.

RE: Idle Slayer:

For me, Idle Slayer was one of those games that felt good just cause you were visually collecting coins and gems and could have direct input to make that more efficient whenever you wanted to.

Then it got REALLY grindy, so I hacked a bunch of premium currency, spent a shitload of it and advanced very quickly before it became really grindy again, even while spending thousands of dollars worth of hacked gems or whatever its currency was.

It's definitely the kind of game you should play until you hit a wall and then just go find something else.

Mr Scumbag fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Jul 5, 2022

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

WTFBEES posted:

Yeah ok, fair point.

Idle Slayer is an something between a side scrolling platformer and an endless runner. It'll generally do it's own thing and earn passive income and kill the random smattering of enemies, though you can click to jump (grabbing coins up in the air or killing flying enemies) or dash (which is just a fast forward button). That income can be used to generate faster passive income and occasionally add the mildest of new skills.

Over it all there's a presige mechanic with some other slight upgrades and a few different zones, none of which really changes much about what you're doing.

What keeps me playing it? Honestly, it's mostly a lack of better idle games, but there is something slightly amusing about paying attention to it for a few minutes, leaping into some bad things and crossing off some achievements.

If you have really simple expectations, you could do worse. Just don't expect anything particularly deep or strategic.

Sounds a lot like infiroad which you might also enjoy (and has zero premium currencies/content).

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
If you're playing Egg Inc you might enjoy Coop Co instead, which I understand is a result of someone with javascript knowledge getting so annoyed at Egg Inc's monetization they decided to write a free copy of it out of spite: https://mrbacon470.github.io/Coop-Co/

It's in active development so it's probably missing lots of stuff though

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Mr Scumbag posted:

It's extremely rare that I'll ever buy currency in these games, since I'm able to hack it in many cases and I'm also pretty patient. But in some cases when I like the game a lot and the price is very low for a one-off purchase that can can buy one or two quality of life things, I'll go ahead and spend up to five bucks.

40% off would be the biggest it'll get. When Egg Inc changed their piggybanks it bumped up to the price structure you see now and the dev said then it was because he needed to pay for servers and actually make some money off the game. I don't really blame him, but I think I still have millions of gold eggs that would never get used from the original way it worked. You don't need to buy gold eggs to do anything, and you'll get enough just from downing drones and doing events.

Getting prestige eggs and unlocking the upper tiers is still a lot of fun, but there's nothing at the end except an endless cycle of the same events.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

My auto-trimps broke and I don't know how to fix it and now I'm very sad.

My computer crashed a few times in a row and I guess that screwed something up because for awhile the auto-trimps was launching but freezing, and now it just doesn't launch at all. This has persisted through re-installs of the mod.js file and trimps itself (playing on steam).

Interestingly the graphs-only version of trimps works fine.

The good news is that I'm far enough into trimps now that I have alot of the automation features inherent in the game itself so auto-trimps isn't nearly as required as it feels in the beginning. Still very odd.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

Jhet posted:

You don't need to buy gold eggs to do anything, and you'll get enough just from downing drones and doing events.

Yeah, after playing pretty actively over the past couple days I've found that I've been getting eggs at a fast enough rate that the 9000 in the piggy bank seems like something I'd never pay money for, though I have noticed that the free eggs have slowed down as they tend to do in these games.

It doesn't really matter. The premium unlocks outside things that add QOL don't seem that great given the way the game seems to work. Looks like the "license" to build more silos for more idle time would be the most useful thing, but I'm never gonna pay money for it.

I think this will be a game that I play for another week or two and then ditch, and I'm ok with that.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Agent355 posted:

My auto-trimps broke and I don't know how to fix it and now I'm very sad.

My computer crashed a few times in a row and I guess that screwed something up because for awhile the auto-trimps was launching but freezing, and now it just doesn't launch at all. This has persisted through re-installs of the mod.js file and trimps itself (playing on steam).

Interestingly the graphs-only version of trimps works fine.

The good news is that I'm far enough into trimps now that I have alot of the automation features inherent in the game itself so auto-trimps isn't nearly as required as it feels in the beginning. Still very odd.

I think you just need to clear the settings, I'm not sure where it's saved in autotrimps but it's not part of steam cloud. Is it broken on another computer or another user on the same computer? It should take you 2 minutes to create another user on your computer and test there. My guess is if you can clear the settings file for auto trimps you are good. Now where it saves that I have no idea and my quick snooping picked up nothing but maybe someone else will know or it will give you enough to find it and try it and report back. Like I'm not even sure it's worth testing on the other user profile unless you really cannot find the settings file and want to confirm that will resolve it.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Since it was originally a greasemonkey script maybe it's stored in the internet history or something weird like that.

I did ask on the autotrimps discord which is hella slow (handful of posts a week) but is followed by the guys who work on it so they might know.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Well, it's been 1012 days (or almost 3 years) but I've finally done it. I've finished NGU.

I'm not quite sure what I'm gonna do with the 10 minutes I'll get back from my day now.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Kin posted:

Well, it's been 1012 days (or almost 3 years) but I've finally done it. I've finished NGU.

I'm not quite sure what I'm gonna do with the 10 minutes I'll get back from my day now.

Play it again and try to break your record.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

WTFBEES posted:

is it still super grindy? i remember i hit a point where no matter how many years i went forward i couldn't get any farther

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out

Pope Guilty posted:

Play it again and try to break your record.

probably wouldnt be hard considering how good 4g was at going back and smoothing out new player experience and the various walls that didn't get much better when features came in

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Jumping back to the web to get my auto-trimps working again. The nice thing about steam was that it never throttled the game at all, but browsers are a bit sketchy about that sometimes.

What is people's experience lately with browser throttling? Which browser works best, will it do fine if you give it it's own window, etc? This stuff tends to change randomly with browser updates so I'm never sure.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Agent355 posted:

Jumping back to the web to get my auto-trimps working again. The nice thing about steam was that it never throttled the game at all, but browsers are a bit sketchy about that sometimes.

What is people's experience lately with browser throttling? Which browser works best, will it do fine if you give it it's own window, etc? This stuff tends to change randomly with browser updates so I'm never sure.

Use Vivaldi. It's a Chromium variant that strips out most of the dynamic messing with pages that modern browsers do.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Sindai posted:

If you're playing Egg Inc you might enjoy Coop Co instead, which I understand is a result of someone with javascript knowledge getting so annoyed at Egg Inc's monetization they decided to write a free copy of it out of spite: https://mrbacon470.github.io/Coop-Co/

I haven't played Egg Inc. so I dunno how it compares but the soul egg prestige is pretty rough. I hate it when buying upgrades with prestige currency makes the direct buff the currency gives go away.
There's even a display for "best soul eggs", why can't the earnings boost just scale off that?

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Len posted:

is it still super grindy? i remember i hit a point where no matter how many years i went forward i couldn't get any farther

Dunno actually. I'm 5 days in now and am still unlocking a couple things each prestige. If there's a wall I haven't hit it yet.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Sindai posted:

It's a browser tab, popped this on because sure why not. Yup that's egg inc without being able to tap 30 times a second. Seems to be going at a good clip, the problem is without any multiplayer interactions I'm not sure there's much. It's an old game from when the idea of an idle game on a phone was met with no one is going to leave their phone on in their pocket eating battery all day! Maybe they'll modernize it in a different way the core is so ... basic.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

pixaal posted:

It's a browser tab, popped this on because sure why not. Yup that's egg inc without being able to tap 30 times a second. Seems to be going at a good clip, the problem is without any multiplayer interactions I'm not sure there's much. It's an old game from when the idea of an idle game on a phone was met with no one is going to leave their phone on in their pocket eating battery all day! Maybe they'll modernize it in a different way the core is so ... basic.

Eggspeditions and Contracts seem like they can be interesting for a bit. It's very much faster than I remember the beginning of Egg Inc to be, but it was really slow back when it started. I don't even mind using Prestige Eggs for upgrades, it's better than gold eggs, and they're really kind of easy to acquire. It does tick the old school idler box for me.

E: As in it feels a lot like Egg Inc prior to the micro transaction push and multiplayer contracts. The only thing I don't like is the egg button isn't on every tab.

Jhet fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jul 6, 2022

Nervous
Jan 25, 2005

Why, hello, my little slice of pecan pie.
Sometimes NGU comes at you in unexpected ways.

You had carnal relations with Rob Boss's mother for 644,261damage!
You had carnal relations with Rob Boss's mother for 835,427 damage!
You had carnal relations with Rob Boss's mother for 781,708 damage!
You had carnal relations with Rob Boss's mother for 847,952 damage!
Rob Boss detonated like a thermonuclear explosive for 594.681 Million damage!
You are almost certainly dead.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

How do I get started using a script in evolve? I am currently just post-electronics research in my first run.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Victorkm posted:

How do I get started using a script in evolve? I am currently just post-electronics research in my first run.

If you mean you need the script then it's Here. Requires Tampermonkey/equivalent for your browser.

With that said the script is very much not designed to work right out of the box for brand new players so just stay with the simple QoL ones for now like Fight, Tax, Craft, Power, Market, Jobs, Smelter, and Factory. Those will remove most of the babysitting and let you focus on choosing what you want to build and research.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 9, 2022

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
New idle, inspired by that weird Chinese Cultivation genre:
https://immortalityidle.github.io/

Pretty good so far!

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
looks like an Idle Loops and i will play any and all Idle Loops

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

Does anyone else have the idle game variant of Pretty Borders Disease from Paradox games? Like needing resource counts to end in zero or five, especially early in a game, whether it makes sense or not?

In (actually) unrelated news, I'm still really enjoying Underworld Idle.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Pretty good so far!

I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but I immediately get stuck in this loop right out the gate and don't seem to actually be able to accomplish anything?

What am I supposed to do besides try an Odd Job?

Edit: Never mind, I realized I'm not supposed to just do one thing at a time but make a schedule.

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

mdxi posted:

Does anyone else have the idle game variant of Pretty Borders Disease from Paradox games? Like needing resource counts to end in zero or five, especially early in a game, whether it makes sense or not?

Yes. To the point that I'm suspicious of anyone who doesn't.

At what point do you unlock automatic reincarnation in the cultivation thing? Because I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm not feeling it yet and just wanna grind until I do.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Oenis posted:

Yes. To the point that I'm suspicious of anyone who doesn't.

At what point do you unlock automatic reincarnation in the cultivation thing? Because I have no idea what I'm doing and I'm not feeling it yet and just wanna grind until I do.
if you uncheck "pause on death" and buy the 500 tael book in the shop (just open the shop to unlock it, it's up in the middle, looks like a book), you can automatically restart anything you have the prereqs for on reincarnation

which is mostly odd job and nothing else at first but it's a start

Zyxyz
Mar 30, 2010
Buglord

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Pretty good so far!

Welp, spent a couple hours and ~8 lives getting as far as the 10k tael house by trial and error, then found out from looking up the reddit thread about it that actually I had been completely wasting my time by not having grinded out a useless-looking action to unlock alchemy bc that gatekeeps all the actual cultivation stuff and key mechanics. blah

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
Yeah I'm not sold either, I was happy that I could finally afford a real bed to stave off my growing health concerns, but I guess somehow that spiked the upkeep costs of my house and some thugs immediately killed me. Meh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I've been having fun but I admit the economy of it seems real hosed. I haven't found a better moneymaking action than begging, especially because with enough charisma it turns into street performing and eventually orating.