Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕
https://twitter.com/SamHersh01/status/1545769754660519937?t=qs5QvrgsvKue_UdIZBmvLQ&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

missed opportunity to change thread title to Canada has a Rogers problem

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

lmao i'd suggest "Canada has a monopoly problem" but there's so many countries wit that

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

PhilippAchtel posted:

We're back. Now, time to forget this ever happened and learn nothing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_eyGERV_8E

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

jesus loving christ

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

missed opportunity to change thread title to Canada has a Rogers problem

Wouldn't that be a (T)ed? Problem? How many more problematic Eds are there? The sock isn't exactly a cultural icon.

e: also lol that the Liberal (deputy?) Minister of something or other who appeared on CBC to defend the government's fine work on this front against Singh's slanderous allegations of incompetence said that he uses Fizz mobile (apparently a Videotron subsidiary) and the existence of slightly discounted subsidiaries proves that the government has done a great job lowering mobile costs for consumers and controlling the oligopoly.

Precambrian Video Games has issued a correction as of 18:45 on Jul 9, 2022

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

https://mobile.twitter.com/primoguy/status/1545796060920037376

lol if you're outwitted by a CBC reporter

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Sneaky fucks asking the obvious questions.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Wahh I didn't get to say exactly what I wanted to.

kaom
Jan 20, 2007

lol wow I tried to use the media as good PR but they asked questions with answers that made us look bad

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Is CBC now contracting out headlines to CBC pitchbot?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Do police medical benefits not include wheelchairs? C'mon.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
https://mobile.twitter.com/EmbassyofRussia/status/1546113333941735424

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

lmao

COPE 27
Sep 11, 2006

Pretty hosed up of Canada to allow Germany to decide on its own energy policy. Can't wait to get sanctioned by the US.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
What the gently caress are they talking about

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Danaru posted:

What the gently caress are they talking about

Russia claims that they're unable to continue delivering the same volume of natural gas to Germany via the Nord Stream 1 pipeline without this turbine, which Siemens was repairing in Canada. Germany's industries are looking turbofucked from energy shortages, so they need this gas badly. Siemens couldn't ship the turbine because of Canadian sanctions on exports to Russia. Now it looks like we're making an exception for our beloved NATO ally.

We shot ourselves in the dick economically to try to scare Russia with sanctions - it's blowing back on us in every possible way. And now we look extra stupid because we've proved that we're willing to make exceptions to the sanctions in certain cases.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Karach posted:

Russia claims that they're unable to continue delivering the same volume of natural gas to Germany via the Nord Stream 1 pipeline without this turbine, which Siemens was repairing in Canada. Germany's industries are looking turbofucked from energy shortages, so they need this gas badly. Siemens couldn't ship the turbine because of Canadian sanctions on exports to Russia. Now it looks like we're making an exception for our beloved NATO ally.

We shot ourselves in the dick economically to try to scare Russia with sanctions - it's blowing back on us in every possible way. And now we look extra stupid because we've proved that we're willing to make exceptions to the sanctions in certain cases.

:cripes:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If we held up the turbine and prices kept rising, the cost of extracting from the Tar Sands would probably be worthwhole and we could see the return of pristine lifted F-150s to the Edmonton suburbs.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Yeah Trudeau could make that illegal pipeline that he loves so much worth marginally more lol

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war

Frosted Flake posted:

If we held up the turbine and prices kept rising, the cost of extracting from the Tar Sands would probably be worthwhole and we could see the return of pristine lifted F-150s to the Edmonton suburbs.

this threatened species deserves be restored to its native habitat. without an apex predator in the area, the unsquished pedestrian population could get out of control

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Karach posted:

neoliberalism rules lol

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Im blown away that Freeland signed off on this.

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty

Frosted Flake posted:

Im blown away that Freeland signed off on this.
Ongoing invasion in Ukraine is leading to a huge rise in nationalism. For Freeland it's win-win.
https://twitter.com/DanBoeckner/status/1497293127366946817?s=20&t=cVyM0gOez3XJI0WKfgszFw

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

DirtyRobot posted:

Ongoing invasion in Ukraine is leading to a huge rise in nationalism. For Freeland it's win-win.
https://twitter.com/DanBoeckner/status/1497293127366946817?s=20&t=cVyM0gOez3XJI0WKfgszFw

No doubt, but as the Mykolaivian Candidate, isnt she positioned to block the pipeline to hurt the Russian gas industry? Stopping the transfer of the turbine to stand with Ukraine, as they reportedly asked for, would be the obvious move.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Ugh I just shared that tweet about Freeland in a group chat and it was a huge mistake; one of my friends in the chat is hugely pro-Ukraine and won't hear anything about their questionable dealings during WWII. "You would have done the same thing," sure, I'd have stolen a newspaper factory and started printing anti-semitic propaganda, I guess. It's so hard to approach these people and acknowledge that there's nuance because of the Holodomor and promises of independence and everything, you never make any headway because they just refuse to accept that we should probably come to terms with the other side of that nuance.

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
"Bandera" is basically irl power word: kill for liberal smiles. Just bringing it up in a casual discussion of the war and its history makes people so mad.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Published the names and addresses of Jews iirc, not just propaganda. Retreated with the Germans and stayed in operation until May 1945.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Right, but I kind of understand the defensiveness people have over that. I mean, the Holodomor was a big fuckin' deal, and right there in the Wiki article about Bandera (thank you for bringing that to my attention Karach) it says:

quote:

Ukrainian nationalism did not historically include antisemitism as a core aspect of its program and saw Russians as well as Poles as the chief enemy with Jews playing a secondary role.[71] Nevertheless, Ukrainian nationalism was not immune to the influence of the antisemitic climate in Eastern and Central Europe,[71] that had already become highly racialized in the late 19th century.

I don't know how to feel. This is a guy I have a lot of respect for as a creative professional, and I consider us good friends. It's just a very difficult subject to broach, similar to how you have to tiptoe around antisemitism when talking about the occupation of Palestine, because it's easy for people to hear that and think you're calling all Ukrainians nazis.

I always like to temper discussions like this with something like "bruh, everywhere has/had a nazi problem. Where do you live that doesn't? The Big Rock Candy Mountain?"

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
has there been any statement from Rogers yet as to what the cause of the outage was and how it happened? most Ive heard so far is some vague rumblings of it was a maintenance update gone bad

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Entropic posted:

has there been any statement from Rogers yet as to what the cause of the outage was and how it happened? most I’ve heard so far is some vague rumblings of “it was a maintenance update gone bad”

Probably all you're going to get

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Mister Speaker posted:

Right, but I kind of understand the defensiveness people have over that. I mean, the Holodomor was a big fuckin' deal, and right there in the Wiki article about Bandera (thank you for bringing that to my attention Karach) it says:

I don't know how to feel. This is a guy I have a lot of respect for as a creative professional, and I consider us good friends. It's just a very difficult subject to broach, similar to how you have to tiptoe around antisemitism when talking about the occupation of Palestine, because it's easy for people to hear that and think you're calling all Ukrainians nazis.

I always like to temper discussions like this with something like "bruh, everywhere has/had a nazi problem. Where do you live that doesn't? The Big Rock Candy Mountain?"

The Germans arrived to find massacres like Baba Yar in progress. Antisemitism was integral to Ukrainian nationalism because a cornerstone belief was opposition to Judeo-Bolshevism - to oppose the Soviets and the Jews was the same thing.

Theyve tried to massage that postwar, but thats at the heart of it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Honey Im Homme posted:

Probably all you're going to get

Wait until next years complete outage. Maybe theyll append another sentence to the same root cause.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Entropic posted:

has there been any statement from Rogers yet as to what the cause of the outage was and how it happened? most Ive heard so far is some vague rumblings of it was a maintenance update gone bad

the problem was rogers

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
naturally, the solution was more rogers

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

If we cant nationalize all telecoms, could we at least give telegraphy back to CN and CP? We let Rogers buy up way too much of this poo poo.Even it was a Crown Corporation operating at a loss, at least wed have coast to coast communications in a situation like this.

I guess broadly speaking nationalizing CN and CP would be higher on the list.

CrcleSqreSanchz
Aug 21, 2002

I'm feeling something new...something...I'm happy??!!

Frosted Flake posted:

The Germans arrived to find massacres like Baba Yar in progress. Antisemitism was integral to Ukrainian nationalism because a cornerstone belief was opposition to “Judeo-Bolshevism” - to oppose the Soviets and the Jews was the same thing.

They’ve tried to massage that postwar, but that’s at the heart of it.

I hate to be that person and yet I am. Is there good books or lectured to watch on this? I have a feeling this is going to be a rising area of discussion and I want to be educated since Canadian school education was hahahahaha

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

CrcleSqreSanchz posted:

I hate to be that person and yet I am. Is there good books or lectured to watch on this? I have a feeling this is going to be a rising area of discussion and I want to be educated since Canadian school education was hahahahaha

Sure: The Holocaust in Eastern Europe: At the Epicenter of the Final Solution

Romania's Holy War: Soldiers, Motivation, and the Holocaust (Took place in Ukraine, covers Ukrainian collaborators)

Holocaust Perpetrators of the German Police Battalions: The Mass Murder of Jewish Civilians, 1940-1942 (as above)

Hitler's Collaborators

Stalin's Defectors: How Red Army Soldiers became Hitler's Collaborators, 1941-1945

Annihilation Volume II: The European Rimlands 1939-1953

Stepan Bandera: The Life and Afterlife of a Ukrainian Nationalist: Fascism, Genocide, and Cult

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vEWzPmrNvog

e: And dont beat yourself up about it, Canadian education was deliberately weak on this since we, the Brits and Australians had a conference in the 40s and made the conscious choice to take in Perpetrators and Collaborators due to the Cold War, its covered in Stalins Defectors.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 16:04 on Jul 11, 2022

Karach
May 23, 2003

no war but class war
Good morning, Monday morning, from the land out of space and time called Canada

https://twitter.com/IsabellaBardoel/status/1546285917857529859

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
i cant even begin to care about what that tweet is making fun or what it is about