Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

The Saddest Rhino posted:

(can't recall the name) the one that starts with just a bunch of strangers planning a mass suicide.
That's Black Paradox, and it's wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fools Infinite
Mar 21, 2006
Journeyman
What's the short one where your body fills up with holes where insects live? That one is gross.

Also the one where everyone has a balloon shaped like your head that tries to catch and hang you, not as gross but very weird.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Killer balloons?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jksRQcI9NA

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~
Hanging Balloons!

I love Junji Ito, maybe I'll post some too

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

It’s worth mentioning that Junji Ito is known for both gag manga and horror manga, and his horror manga is probably as effective as it is because he knows exactly how to blend the two together. Guy can take the most ridiculous premise and turn it into nightmare fuel

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
He's a master of the shocking reveal panel, which is important in both horror and comedy. For a comedy example, look at any Whomp strip.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Philippe posted:

He's a master of the shocking reveal panel, which is important in both horror and comedy. For a comedy example, look at any Whomp strip.

:hmmyes:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Philippe posted:

I never realized Junji Ito did Whomp, but I guess that does explain a few things

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Sleve McDichael posted:

Hanging Balloons!

I love Junji Ito, maybe I'll post some too

It is very funny that these are almost the exact same premise

Also, pokemon

I guess there's only so many things you can do with the idea of living balloons

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
At some point Hentai Kamen will get posted at this rate

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
There's a lot of overlap in the writing, directing and acting skills for good comedy and horror. Same reason why comedic actors often do so well in drama. Comedy is actually really hard to do well, and requites a lot of understanding of things like pacing, timing, expression and nuance.

Technocrat
Jan 30, 2011

I always finish what I sta

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Ghost Leviathan posted:

There's a lot of overlap in the writing, directing and acting skills for good comedy and horror. Same reason why comedic actors often do so well in drama. Comedy is actually really hard to do well, and requites a lot of understanding of things like pacing, timing, expression and nuance.

Yeah, I recently watched a video essay going into some detail of what makes an effective jump scare in a horror movie, and it lines up really closely with how to tell a good joke. You set up the premise, you build on it by adding additional factors, and then you draw it out, build the tension, circle around the inevitable reveal for as long as your audience will put up with. And then it's all about finding the exact right moment to dispel that tension, be it through jump scare or punch line, and to do it in a way that still manages to surprise the audience even after you've primed them to expect it.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I recently watched a video essay going into some detail of what makes an effective jump scare in a horror movie, and it lines up really closely with how to tell a good joke. You set up the premise, you build on it by adding additional factors, and then you draw it out, build the tension, circle around the inevitable reveal for as long as your audience will put up with. And then it's all about finding the exact right moment to dispel that tension, be it through jump scare or punch line, and to do it in a way that still manages to surprise the audience even after you've primed them to expect it.

That's a perfect way of describing it. The Enigma at Amigara Fault follows this principle to the drat letter. The panel where the protagonist finds the hole shaped like him (and the final panel, of course) is inevitable, but the path there is full of ups and downs. He meets another person mystified by the holes, oh no she finds a hole that looks like her, it's fine we plugged it up with stones, oh no she's gone, etc. Junji Ito loves the gross reveal, but he also revels in preparing you for it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It goes even deeper than that. Laughter is a modified fear response, it activates the exact same part of the brain. Evolutionary biologists think that it originally evolved to let the tribe know you were safe even though you just got surprised by something

This all goes to explain why Jordan Peele made such a smooth and successful transition from sketch comedy to horror movies

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

the seductress is my favorite character, every strip she's in is great even by tredlocity standards

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Trixie Slaughteraxe for President

Hempuli posted:

Nobody touch
The Queen
Out
Soap puker

Architect

Vanished

Picking mushrooms

Don't fall

Deaths: 2 (+1 giraffe monster)

Hempuli has a new favorite as of 16:01 on Jul 17, 2022

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

TCB just horizontal carrying my employer away from dangerous critters.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤

Squidster posted:

Qualia the Purple
Episode 10: 14-21 of 30

Qualia the Purple
Episode 10: 22-30 of 30

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
Hell yes. Transdimensional Hand Phone.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Perestroika posted:

Can you link said essay?

Also, queer space wizard adventures is very good.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Samovar posted:

Can you link said essay?

Also, queer space wizard adventures is very good.

Sure, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=llpsjbNQIns

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Apocalypse Johto—Battlefield Kanto Part 4: Silver Standard
Chapter 34: Power Surge

And then Candace died in her sleep and Sabrina took over the world

The End

...okay, not really. But this is where Apocalypse Johto posting does come to an end. No more pages exist.

Towards the end, updates had gotten... rather sporadic. Now, I know the reason for that, but I'm gonna leave it to Saber to decide if that's to be elaborated on. But at some point after posting those pages, he did post a message talking about another thing he had been working on, which I at least at the time read as "...but when I'm done with that, it's back to AJ". Obviously, that didn't happen. From the planning IRC convos that were had back in the day, I do know some things that were going to happen and what ultimately was going to be revealed as the reason for the Change, and if Saber hadn't come to the thread and said he'll explain what was going to happen, I would have summed up what I knew. But now I'll leave it to the man himself! EDIT: And an extra special thanks to him for uploading the whole shebang to his new domain with SSL so I didn't have to rehost every goshdang page myself!

Four months of posting this, almost to the day. 935 pages in total. It's been interesting to revisit, if nothing else. I would be lying if I said that Apocalypse Johto was not one of the influences on the One Piece fanfic that's my current primary writing project. It's still the only Nuzlocke comic I've really read, I've just seen a few pages of some others.

I might start posting something else, I have some thoughts, but I'll have a break from comic posting for now. If I do decide to post something else, whatever it'll be, it'll be something completely different.

KennyMan666 has a new favorite as of 18:43 on Jul 10, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
Ten Earth Shattering Blows -- Tome One:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nuclearpasta/ten-earth-shattering-blows-tome-one

€33 for the physical book, €16 shipping to the US, but I wanted to point out to Americans like me who don't generally follow currency exchange that as of today, the euro and the dollar are basically at parity :psypop:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Empty Sandwich posted:

Ten Earth Shattering Blows -- Tome One:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/nuclearpasta/ten-earth-shattering-blows-tome-one

€33 for the physical book, €16 shipping to the US, but I wanted to point out to Americans like me who don't generally follow currency exchange that as of today, the euro and the dollar are basically at parity :psypop:

Man that'd be awesome, but I've learned my lesson to just not buy printed webcomic compilations. They look cool as hell, but it turns out I will literally never actually read them and I really don't need more things taking up space at my place. Fortunately I don't have to feel too bad about this one, since they're already over their goal with weeks left to go.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

It's been so long since I've been thanked for loving Pupkin.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man that'd be awesome, but I've learned my lesson to just not buy printed webcomic compilations. They look cool as hell, but it turns out I will literally never actually read them and I really don't need more things taking up space at my place. Fortunately I don't have to feel too bad about this one, since they're already over their goal with weeks left to go.

You got burned by Achewood too, huh

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Hempuli posted:

"Is that how the magic works?"
"No, that's how sarcasm works."

lol got 'er

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Philippe posted:

You got burned by Achewood too, huh
no, the post said they take up space

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Hempuli posted:

Vanished

Lol. It sounds like it would literally just take one creature deciding to bash its head into a force field, to permanently unmake you as a wizard.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer

Layers of Fear - Part 4

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

KennyMan666 posted:

...okay, not really. But this is where Apocalypse Johto posting does come to an end. No more pages exist.

So I've only been reading this thread the last week or so but thanks for posting this. There's an awful lot of comics out there where the art style is 'read an awful lot of manga', it's nice to see one where the style is 'read an awful lot of ONI and SLG.'

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH

Koburn posted:

Layers of Fear - Part 4

I typically don't mind the wild plot swings in Ito's work, but this one was out of left field even by his standards

presumably Narumi would've been curious at some point in the past why she had all those extra teeth

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Barry Bluejeans posted:

presumably Narumi would've been curious at some point in the past why she had all those extra teeth

Honestly I probably wouldn't bother going to the doctor if I found out I had years' worth of smaller mes inside myself as long as I wasn't in an active medical emergency

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

She's going to cut a few layers off to do that thing she mentioned a few pages ago right

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
I guarantee the mother's gonna end up peeling one or both of her daughters until they're cute little babies again

E:

RBA Starblade posted:

She's going to cut a few layers off to do that thing she mentioned a few pages ago right
Yep, you can just feel it coming

Son of Thunderbeast has a new favorite as of 20:53 on Jul 10, 2022

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Barry Bluejeans posted:

I typically don't mind the wild plot swings in Ito's work, but this one was out of left field even by his standards

I mean, she mentioned it in the car earlier: it sounds like when she was a child she tried to bring the situation with her teeth to her mom's attention, but the mom couldn't be bothered. At the time it just seemed like a random example of "little sister gets all the attention", but turns out to be setup for this.

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
that's perfectly fine, my real issue is that it establishes an outwardly-visible indicator of the curse

if it's something that would only show up on x-ray, I can buy that it would go unnoticed for both women to this point - not so much that all the doctors and dentists that examined them throughout their childhood/adolescence somehow missed those extra chompers

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

KennyMan666 posted:

Apocalypse Johto—Battlefield Kanto Part 4: Silver Standard
Chapter 34: Power Surge

And then Candace died in her sleep and Sabrina took over the world

The End

Towards the end, updates had gotten... rather sporadic. Now, I know the reason for that, but I'm gonna leave it to Saber to decide if that's to be elaborated on. But at some point after posting those pages, he did post a message talking about another thing he had been working on, which I at least at the time read as "...but when I'm done with that, it's back to AJ". Obviously, that didn't happen. From the planning IRC convos that were had back in the day, I do know some things that were going to happen and what ultimately was going to be revealed as the reason for the Change, and if Saber hadn't come to the thread and said he'll explain what was going to happen, I would have summed up what I knew. But now I'll leave it to the man himself! EDIT: And an extra special thanks to him for uploading the whole shebang to his new domain with SSL so I didn't have to rehost every goshdang page myself!

Four months of posting this, almost to the day. 935 pages in total. It's been interesting to revisit, if nothing else. I would be lying if I said that Apocalypse Johto was not one of the influences on the One Piece fanfic that's my current primary writing project. It's still the only Nuzlocke comic I've really read, I've just seen a few pages of some others.

I might start posting something else, I have some thoughts, but I'll have a break from comic posting for now. If I do decide to post something else, whatever it'll be, it'll be something completely different.
Thanks for posting those. I did actually enjoy this dumb fan fiction. The art was fine with occasional highlights too.
Yeah, that ending is a bit disappointing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

cant cook creole bream posted:

As a native German speaker, that last exchange felt a bit stupid. "She's like a [Cake shaped like a tree]." "It's more like the shape of a tree!".

he's saying that a cake doesn't grow rings like a tree does or a snail shell does

"she's like a thing that looks like a thing!"
"no, she's more like the second thing itself"