Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

every time i want to clock in or out of work i hurriedly type "tim" into the address bar and press enter, not remembering it always takes me to timtyler.org, not timecon.whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
65s own

mode65, ktt roses, pbtfans spark

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Is uh, homegrown allowed?

https://imgur.com/gallery/LsimzKN

https://imgur.com/gallery/SvsPgsO

https://imgur.com/gallery/ypLVKqB

or cheap board + not so cheap keycaps

https://imgur.com/gallery/tSPPSKw

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Roosevelt posted:

playskool rear end keyboards. grow up.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i guess the little 40% keyboards are fine if all you do is click reply and type "lol" but i require a number row

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

hell yeah kinesis forever

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

you just broke all my preconceptions of kinesis users

where are the piles of diet coke bottles that customarily surround a kinesis?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

the keys are in the wrong spots

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

ordered a keychron k3 slim to see if work computer rejects it too :pray:

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I will never understand people who use non-qwerty layouts, you're almost guaranteed to have to switch back and forth between layouts and break your brain

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

r u ready to WALK posted:

I will never understand people who use non-qwerty layouts, you're almost guaranteed to have to switch back and forth between layouts and break your brain

but then how do you feel superior to everyone around you?

if you don't use a kinesis with colemac layout to drive your emacs in tmux in xterm in xmonad workflows, are you even poo poo?

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

eh it's fine.

stinch
Nov 21, 2013

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

ordered a keychron k3 slim to see if work computer rejects it too :pray:

I believe the usb protocol limits the number of keys a keyboard can report as pressed at once. so to get around that the keyboard pretends to be a hub with several keyboards attached. so you need to find one that doesn't use that trick.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

stinch posted:

I believe the usb protocol limits the number of keys a keyboard can report as pressed at once. so to get around that the keyboard pretends to be a hub with several keyboards attached. so you need to find one that doesn't use that trick.

Basic USB keyboards report 6 simultaneous keypresses, but the protocol allows for an arbitrary number to be negotiated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lPzTU-3ONI

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jul 10, 2022

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

how many simultaneous half-presses?

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

I've been using dvorak for like 8 years now and that never happens. Actually I wouldn't probably recommend non-qwerty to anyone else, but dvorak compatibility is very good. That's a reason to avoid colemak or a weirder layout, but plain dvorak is built into everything.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

when i first got a kinesis around 15 years ago i forced myself to also learn dvorak on it since it had the firmware layout toggle - took about a month. it resulted in only knowing how to type dvorak on kinesises, while everywhere else remains qwerty. i could probably get the hang of dvorak pretty quickly on a regular keyboard but haven't bothered

dvorak trip report: doesn't really seem noticeably faster than qwerty tbh, but the dvorak kinesis effectively renders my computer unusable to everyone else so that's kinda nice

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

work computer also rejects keychron board if using wired usb connection. using bluetooth (more like bootooth!!) works even though wireless kb is stupid af

burning swine
May 26, 2004

my jeff fatwood code keyboard died again. Third time that ESD has killed its brain, and I've finally decided not to replace the PCB again. It will just keep happening.

Shame, it was the only KB I had with clears on it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
clears continuing to reign supreme

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

burning swine posted:

my jeff fatwood code keyboard died again. Third time that ESD has killed its brain, and I've finally decided not to replace the PCB again. It will just keep happening.

Shame, it was the only KB I had with clears on it

just replace the MCU how hard could it be

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I’m now an iPad Mini owner and want a comparatively compact portable keyboard design to pair it with – what class of design would I want to look for?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Jimmy Carter posted:

I’m now an iPad Mini owner and want a comparatively compact portable keyboard design to pair it with – what class of design would I want to look for?

65% low profile?

Keychron K7 if you're looking for model recommendations

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

i have a keychron k3 but for some reason i don't really like using it. the logitech mechanical mini is basically the same thing but i like it more. weird.

eschaton posted:

ask DC

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

so how long do some people wait for custom keys? i ordered the epbt aesthetic kit when it came out last year in march and so far they just got samples as of a month ago. is the entire scene a scam? i got the deskmat. but still waiting on those plus a matching usb sleeved cable

pseudopresence
Mar 3, 2005

I want to get online...
I need a computer!
A groupbuy of a custom keycap set? 18-24 months wouldn't surprise me. I gave up on groupbuys and now just order stuff that's immediately available because otherwise by the time it arrives my interests have long diverged

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Vintersorg posted:

so how long do some people wait for custom keys? i ordered the epbt aesthetic kit when it came out last year in march and so far they just got samples as of a month ago. is the entire scene a scam? i got the deskmat. but still waiting on those plus a matching usb sleeved cable

Well...
Unfortunately EPBT is sorta hosed at the moment. They're slowly starting to churn through a backlog of sets, but ever since they started working out their reverse dyesub process, it's been a nightmare. EPBT Ramenstop is coming up on 18months and they haven't even got the samples sorted out. They just went back for another round of colormatching.
I received EPBT Ivory in about 18 months but that was mostly KONO's fault for loving up orders. I think they actually delivered that set in 13 months.

Keyreative KAT/KAM is absolutely and completely hosed. What has delivered is completely hosed. Sets are comin up on 2 year lead times. Keyreative has abysmal communication. They're also just making executive decisions on sets without the input of the designers or vendors and just shipping things (well... zFrontier is) straight to customers when the designers didn't even know the sets were done.

GMK is still chugging along but leadtimes are around 18 months right now. Sets are steadily delivering though.

Signature Plastics is still sorta all over the place with their different profiles but last I checked leadtimes for DCS were about a year, DSS is starting to push into the 8/9 month lead times (DSA too I think. It's at least 6 months).

I don't know if I would classify groupbuys generally as a scam in the literal sense. Like, none of these vendors / manufacturers are trying to take your money without the intent of making product. They've just had a hard time dealing with everything leading up to this point including covid killing workers, and lockdowns, and creating materials shortages, and the influx of people into the hobby, etc...

However, yeah if you don't have the stomach to just throw money at plastic with no guarantee if it'll ever materialize, there's plenty of other manufacturers that people are turning to outside of those, which is good imo. Spread the load across more manufacturers to help alleviate leadtimes.
MW is one that a LOT of people pivoted towards and they immediately stopped taking orders. They limit the number of sets that they will have outstanding orders for, so once those sets start delivering I'm sure we will see more people hopping into that queue. Besides that there's a number of vendors putting out their own runs of PBT sets with whatever manu they can contract with. Cannonkeys has Cannoncaps and NicePBT. Novelkeys has their own PBT sets.

eschaton posted:

wait why are you replacing the entire pcb if just the MCU is dead? Just get this: https://keyhive.xyz/shop/wasdat-controller

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jul 12, 2022

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Nice kbs but do the layer lines bother you or is it kind of a deliberate 'this was 3d printed' vibe?

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well...
Unfortunately EPBT is sorta hosed at the moment. They're slowly starting to churn through a backlog of sets, but ever since they started working out their reverse dyesub process, it's been a nightmare. EPBT Ramenstop is coming up on 18months and they haven't even got the samples sorted out. They just went back for another round of colormatching.
I received EPBT Ivory in about 18 months but that was mostly KONO's fault for loving up orders. I think they actually delivered that set in 13 months.

Keyreative KAT/KAM is absolutely and completely hosed. What has delivered is completely hosed. Sets are comin up on 2 year lead times. Keyreative has abysmal communication. They're also just making executive decisions on sets without the input of the designers or vendors and just shipping things (well... zFrontier is) straight to customers when the designers didn't even know the sets were done.

GMK is still chugging along but leadtimes are around 18 months right now. Sets are steadily delivering though.

Signature Plastics is still sorta all over the place with their different profiles but last I checked leadtimes for DCS were about a year, DSS is starting to push into the 8/9 month lead times (DSA too I think. It's at least 6 months).

I don't know if I would classify groupbuys generally as a scam in the literal sense. Like, none of these vendors / manufacturers are trying to take your money without the intent of making product. They've just had a hard time dealing with everything leading up to this point including covid killing workers, and lockdowns, and creating materials shortages, and the influx of people into the hobby, etc...

However, yeah if you don't have the stomach to just throw money at plastic with no guarantee if it'll ever materialize, there's plenty of other manufacturers that people are turning to outside of those, which is good imo. Spread the load across more manufacturers to help alleviate leadtimes.
MW is one that a LOT of people pivoted towards and they immediately stopped taking orders. They limit the number of sets that they will have outstanding orders for, so once those sets start delivering I'm sure we will see more people hopping into that queue. Besides that there's a number of vendors putting out their own runs of PBT sets with whatever manu they can contract with. Cannonkeys has Cannoncaps and NicePBT. Novelkeys has their own PBT sets.

wait why are you replacing the entire pcb if just the MCU is dead? Just get this: https://keyhive.xyz/shop/wasdat-controller

this guy fucks

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

lol I knew it

I knew there’d be a fancy MCU replacement for that

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

if only there was a variant of the Sun Type 7 UNIX that used Cherry, ALPS, or Mitsumi key switches

maybe this is the point where one must make a custom keyboard

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

eschaton posted:

if only there was a variant of the Sun Type 7 UNIX that used Cherry, ALPS, or Mitsumi key switches

maybe this is the point where one must make a custom keyboard

:getin:

Also, :whatup:
https://cannonkeys.com/collections/cannonkeys-keycaps/products/nicepbt-type-6

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well...

:worship: ur teh keybaors nerd weve been waiting for

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

poor control key, crammed in the wrong place

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Starting to get some real pain in my pinky and ring fingers lately, think it's time to go ergo.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

therefore it’s time to ergo

it was right there

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

ergo prompter hyuk :newlol:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
ergo virginity reinstated

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

i need to stop browsing for nice keyboards/keycap sets, because loving NO-ONE is selling normal ones, just ANSI or, in extremely rare cases, UK ISO.