Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Desert Bus posted:

The Vulture is his pet and the guy is Parahawking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parahawking

Is it beeping? :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Well that's now my favorite sport.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014

Pole vault is extremely bad rear end. Managing to launch yourself straight up feet first is coconuts

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
What if the moon was closer to earth. Like... a lot closer.

https://i.imgur.com/bdA1xUl.mp4

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

megamoon is my new god :worship:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

IRL I think there would be a lot more disintegration happening if the two bodies were that close. On that scale they're more like blobs of gravel loosely held together by gravity.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

OwlFancier posted:

IRL I think there would be a lot more disintegration happening if the two bodies were that close. On that scale they're more like blobs of gravel loosely held together by gravity.

shut up i want to feel the tide in my boner

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carthag Tuek posted:

shut up i want to feel the tide in my boner

everyone feels the tide in their boner when they have sex with ur mum

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

OwlFancier posted:

In that video, the Moon's diameter is about 5 times that of the Sun in the sky. This means it is about 1/5 the distance away as it normally is (when its diameter is about the same size as the sun's). A quick check of the wikipedia article on Roche limits says that the moon would have to be within about 18,000 km to experience disintegration, whereas in reality it is 384,000 km. In the video, it would be about 77,000 km, still well outside the Roche limit.

Tidal forces would be about 125 times stronger, as they scale with inverse distance cubed. Off the top of my head, I'm not 100% sure how the increased tidal force exactly translates to the heights of tides on Earth's coasts; my instinct is that they would be simply 125 times higher, which would be the real apocalyptic effect of this thought experiment.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

OwlFancier posted:

everyone feels the tide in their boner when they have sex with ur mum

motherfucker (appreciative tone)

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I’m no moonologist but shouldn’t there be a cascading shadow instead of just lights off / lights on

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

:stare:

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

There'd a tsunami following it

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

DontMockMySmock posted:

In that video, the Moon's diameter is about 5 times that of the Sun in the sky. This means it is about 1/5 the distance away as it normally is (when its diameter is about the same size as the sun's). A quick check of the wikipedia article on Roche limits says that the moon would have to be within about 18,000 km to experience disintegration, whereas in reality it is 384,000 km. In the video, it would be about 77,000 km, still well outside the Roche limit.

Tidal forces would be about 125 times stronger, as they scale with inverse distance cubed. Off the top of my head, I'm not 100% sure how the increased tidal force exactly translates to the heights of tides on Earth's coasts; my instinct is that they would be simply 125 times higher, which would be the real apocalyptic effect of this thought experiment.
How much brighter would it be at night?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

DontMockMySmock posted:

BUT!

But

It would pull 125x harder on your boner

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

:hmmyes::dong:

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

BUT!

But

It would pull 25x harder on your boner, in absolute terms. But the stretching force, the difference in force between the base and tip, (assuming you point your boner at the moon) will be 125x stronger

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

DontMockMySmock posted:

It would pull 25x harder on your boner, in absolute terms. But the stretching force, the difference in force between the base and tip, (assuming you point your boner at the moon) will be 125x stronger

nice

Beer_Suitcase
May 3, 2005

Verily, the whip is ghost riding.

https://youtu.be/lheapd7bgLA covers this pretty well. all of their videos are entertaining if you have not checked em out

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBWbpFz3wac

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Dewgy posted:

I’m no moonologist but shouldn’t there be a cascading shadow instead of just lights off / lights on

I mean, technically yes, but the shadow in the video would be moving at several thousand miles per hour, so you wouldn't really perceive the shadow approaching or receding, the sun would essentially appear to be instantly off, and then instantly on again.

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
That's going to be hell on people with light sensitive epilepsy :ohdear:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

hell yeah giant moon revolving so fast sunlight becomes stroboscopic :getin:

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Lady Disdain posted:

That's going to be hell on people with light sensitive epilepsy :ohdear:

Yeah, I'm having second thoughts about this whole plan

Lady Disdain
Jan 14, 2013

are you yet living?
What if we also bring the sun closer so that the moon and the sun rotate around the earth at a speed that makes the day/night cycle less strobey ?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

We're close to a solution here, I can feel it.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

here i would link to the alt.destroy.the.earth faq section on using the moon, but I can't seem to find it

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_rem1zxq23b1vmay6q.mp4

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

the headlight wink really makes this

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
PLAYER TWO HAS ENTERED THE GAME

https://i.imgur.com/1vKuCzg.mp4

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

I would like to get slow sucked by the mega moon passing by every day

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

owl_pellet posted:

I would like to get slow sucked by the mega moon passing by every day

That reminds me, tell your mom I said hi. :v:

Taeke has a new favorite as of 17:14 on Jul 10, 2022

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn_AP9liBKw

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

"King of the Jungle," my rear end.

This is MY house!

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

You can see the 3rd lion nopeing out right before the attack leaving 2 in the water, looks like the thumbnail was shopped.

e: but drat that lad has some momentum

Ornamental Dingbat has a new favorite as of 02:40 on Jul 11, 2022

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Seems like the hippo was mostly bluffing, just to get them to leave. He had that one lion basically in his jaws whenever he wanted, but just chose to drive them off.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

e: but drat that lad has some momentum

It reminds me of this moose just plowing through a deep snowbank like it's not there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GEhM2Byk7w

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It reminds me of this moose just plowing through a deep snowbank like it's not there

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GEhM2Byk7w

I got charged by a moose once and I thought surely I was safe because I was up on a road and she was 100 yd away up to her neck in water. The wake coming off her chest looked like a car hitting those water barrels at the base of overpasses and it was like she teleported onto the road coming for me.

And people just try to walk up to these fuckin things all the time.

HenryJLittlefinger has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Jul 11, 2022

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
I had a Swedish moose (elk?) come plowing out of the underbrush behind me and flee down the trail towards me with its calf (or maybe two calves, didn't really pay attention to the small ones at that point). It came round the corner some 10 meters behind me and I am so loving grateful that it took one look at me and my little dog, decided "nah you're good" and plowed off to the right toppling saplings and undergrowth instead of doing the same to me. I had like 20cm of space to maneuver on if I was going to forced to get out of its way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

SerthVarnee posted:

I had a Swedish moose (elk?) come plowing out of the underbrush behind me and flee down the trail towards me with its calf (or maybe two calves, didn't really pay attention to the small ones at that point). It came round the corner some 10 meters behind me and I am so loving grateful that it took one look at me and my little dog, decided "nah you're good" and plowed off to the right toppling saplings and undergrowth instead of doing the same to me. I had like 20cm of space to maneuver on if I was going to forced to get out of its way.

My husband and I had a full sized loving huge moose jump out of the underbrush onto the trail ten feet in front of us. Scared the poo poo out of us. It was moving fast, just like that one. I distinctly remember my instinct to shove my husband behind me, it was the only time I've ever felt manly even though it would have walked right over us if it wanted. That part of the trail was surrounded by devil's club too, so there was no dodging. We turned around and left that particular trail. Later in that same hike some goats started an avalanche that almost got us. It was an eventful hike thanks for listening to my story.