Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

seiferguy posted:

Wonder what president did the first upper decker was

Probably Grover Cleveland

Rutherford B. Hayes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Squats for freedom.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

seiferguy posted:

Wonder what president did the first upper decker was

Probably Grover Cleveland

Let’s just say the Cleveland Steamer wasn’t named after a city

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
People down the street from me are now shooting fireworks from their front yard directly over the county highway

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

General Dog posted:

Let’s just say the Cleveland Steamer wasn’t named after a city

The toilet was replaced on non consecutive terms!

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
I saw the Thor and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I think I follow too many “film twitter” people who were acting like it was the worst movie they’ve ever seen.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
I'm only just watching the latest Doctor Strange film and I just couldn't give less a poo poo about these Dr. strange movies.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

Pops Mgee posted:

I saw the Thor and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I think I follow too many “film twitter” people who were acting like it was the worst movie they’ve ever seen.

I thought it was a'ight, tho I realize my favorite character in the series is Loki*. At least Natalie Portman actually got to do something in this compared to the other ones she was in. I think the Marvel Cinematic Universe shifted movie viewing so much now they should be graded either on a curve or separate from other movies. IMO these movie aspire to be b-movie serials, and this movie did exactly that.

*I meant Hiddleston Loki. Damon Loki was fine doing what he's supposed to do (act in cheap stage production plays depicting Hiddleston Loki

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Yeah I still haven’t seen the last Thanos movie, about when I stopped caring about the MCU.
Come to think of it I never watched the last Star Wars, man Disney sucks

Rogue one was the last good Star Wars and Solo got way to much poo poo.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
https://twitter.com/ZTPetrizzo/status/1545950135989026816

let them fight

Manoueverable
Oct 23, 2010

Dubs Loves Wubs
I went from not having ever seen Top Gun to having seen both movies in the span of the last week.

God drat Maverick is really good.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
It's interesting hearing how Tom Cruise is the last of the "classic" Hollywood movie stars that has the weight to determine how movies are made. Paramount tried dumping truckloads of :20bux: to get Cruise to allow them to release it on streaming; he said "no" and has the undisputed movie of the 2022 summer.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

A trump v elon slapfight would be glorious purely because neither side would ever back down and it would break so many Chud brains.

It would also be stupid, but at least the stupid cannons would be aimed in a direction other than ‘spray wildly’

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

game recognizes game

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Another one fails Trump. So sad.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

See, this just tells me that Trump really wanted his Twitter account back, despite the hemming and hawing to the contrary. Sad!

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jul 10, 2022

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug
Knowing Trump, he might just mean that as a good thing (with the full quote I doubt it)

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Pops Mgee posted:

Yeah I'm growing really weary of Smart Movie Folk trying to compare MCU movies to actual art. People have decided that the MCU must be treated as cinema but gently caress that I want beautiful people and bright colors while I eat candy and popcorn in the dark. I don't care if it's not cinematically sound, it's a loving comic book movie, dorks.

Also if the movie isn't in the MCU a lot of criticism they levy against it just goes away (cgi de-aging looking like poo poo--which if does, but nothing about The Irishman. Captain Marvel being military propaganda--which it is, but nothing about Top Gun 2).

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Knowing Trump, he might just mean that as a good thing (with the full quote I doubt it)

Nah earlier in the quote he said that Elon told him that he voted for him, only to later say that some other Republican was the first Republican he had ever voted for

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Spoeank posted:

Also if the movie isn't in the MCU a lot of criticism they levy against it just goes away (cgi de-aging looking like poo poo--which if does, but nothing about The Irishman. Captain Marvel being military propaganda--which it is, but nothing about Top Gun 2).

… tons of people ripped that movie for the De aging. And tons of people rip both top guns for being propaganda. Both of these are made up for the sake of… defending Thor?

And you can’t claim they’re not to be compared to other movies when the people who make the movies directly say “yes this is art.”

Marvel was hitting so many movies in a row it’s honestly only natural they regress to the median. Still crank out a couple good ones each year regardless. I really think people are just disappointed and those saying “oh it’s AWFUL”! Are being ridiculous or simply held it up to ragnarok which is a top 3 marvel

Amy Pole Her fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 10, 2022

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Spoeank posted:

Yeah I'm growing really weary of Smart Movie Folk trying to compare MCU movies to actual art. People have decided that the MCU must be treated as cinema but gently caress that I want beautiful people and bright colors while I eat candy and popcorn in the dark. I don't care if it's not cinematically sound, it's a loving comic book movie, dorks.

Top Gun 2 is absolutely military propaganda, it's just also a much better movie than Captain Marvel. Which also makes it much more effective military propaganda.

Edit I liked parts of Thor 4, but I think as a whole it's just a bit of a mess, jamming the Gor the God Butcher story together with Jane Thor makes it a bit overstuffed and detracts from what makes either of those stories work so well in the comics.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jul 10, 2022

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Military propaganda rules

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Pron on VHS posted:

Military propaganda rules

Yeah, if you know what it is up front and it's done well, it loving rules.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
A childhood of rewinding the tape over and over to hear Dutch say “What’s the matter Dillon CIA got you pushing too many pencils” while pumping out biceps curls and push-ups and trying to get my dad to buy me a slingshot from the internet but it’s illegal in New Jersey

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Between back to the future and top gun, the bald principal was my canary for knowing if I’d forever love these movies it seems

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Thor 4 More Thor Was no Bore, but some thought it a snore, and these people are at war.

Edit: I liked it and thought it was fun, if not as good as Ragnarok. Also, genuinely died laughing every single time a goat yelled.

And post credits spoiler not sure how I am going to buy Hercules without him being able to drop an F bomb every few seconds.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Jul 10, 2022

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Skwirl posted:

Top Gun 2 is absolutely military propaganda, it's just also a much better movie than Captain Marvel. Which also makes it much more effective military propaganda.

This is what I'm saying but people stop at "I liked it so it's fine actually"

I'm not going to bat for anything I'm saying when I want to see bright lights and pretty people I see a marvel movie. That's the bar I'm seeing if it crosses. Because that's all they are.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

Amy Pole Her posted:

… tons of people ripped that movie for the De aging. And tons of people rip both top guns for being propaganda. Both of these are made up for the sake of… defending Thor?

And you can’t claim they’re not to be compared to other movies when the people who make the movies directly say “yes this is art.”

Marvel was hitting so many movies in a row it’s honestly only natural they regress to the median. Still crank out a couple good ones each year regardless. I really think people are just disappointed and those saying “oh it’s AWFUL”! Are being ridiculous or simply held it up to ragnarok which is a top 3 marvel

The deaging in The Irishman was pretty good but I'll never not laugh at the scene of creaky rear end De Niro beating up the shopkeeper

e: speaking of Marvel

https://twitter.com/DhruvGovil/status/1546177539692904448

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Enjoyed the scene in the Boys finale where Soldier Boy mixes up a coke and milk drink

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Intruder posted:

The deaging in The Irishman was pretty good but I'll never not laugh at the scene of creaky rear end De Niro beating up the shopkeeper

e: speaking of Marvel

https://twitter.com/DhruvGovil/status/1546177539692904448

Creaky rear end De Niro came after creaky rear end Sam Jackson so it's very funny to me that Scorsese literally could have learned to not do that if he'd seen a Marvel movie lol

Also Marvel is hitting Guitar Hero status of TOO MANY TOO MUCH WHO CARES FULL SPEED AHEAD

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I sometimes think that COVID was a blessing in disguise for Marvel, forcing them to push a couple of projects back and pumping the brakes just the tiniest bit.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I don't know how many of you were also teen or tween girls in the late 90s but I went down a boyband youtube hole and my old love of Backstreet Boys has popped up again. Everybody is a great music video and the songs still mostly slap.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I don't know how many of you were also teen or tween girls in the late 90s but I went down a boyband youtube hole and my old love of Backstreet Boys has popped up again. Everybody is a great music video and the songs still mostly slap.

Thanks to Bows here in TFF i had an amazing night on involving meeting the Backstreet Boys, some friends, molly and fountainebleu

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

My go-to YouTube music video wormhole when I'm drunk is 1990-2008 heavy metal and rap. Lots of System of a Down, Beastie Boys, Andrew WK, Dragula, Eminem. Basically the other side of the TRL countdown.

Very related, Rage Against The Machine played at Alpine Valley last night to start their reunion tour. My face was melted off something fierce.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Oh my family has officially told me I can never play Dragula ever again because both me and my dad were obsessed with it. A lot of my early 00s faves were like Usher/Backstreet Boys/Nelly/Ludacris and then visual kei bands from Japan.

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

Spoeank posted:

People want competence and thats all anyone itt is asking for.

If I buy McDonald's I know I'm not getting haute cuisine but if my burger is missing the patty, his fries are cold and my drink order is wrong I have a right to be disappointed and criticise the clown putting it together.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Tulalip Tulips posted:

My wife and stepson are at a Backstreet Boys concert literally right now

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

Sorry fuckos just saw Thor 4 and if you can find a way to hate a movie where Thor sidekicks a tank while Welcome to the Jungle plays then I dunno what to tell you

BlindSite posted:

People want competence and thats all anyone itt is asking for.

If I buy McDonald's I know I'm not getting haute cuisine but if my burger is missing the patty, his fries are cold and my drink order is wrong I have a right to be disappointed and criticise the clown putting it together.

there's a lot of lovely MCU (there's like 30 fuckin movies) but people are forgetting it's McDonald's when they go to order it

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Most of it is at least Red Robin :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Tulalip Tulips posted:

A lot of my early 00s faves were like Usher/Backstreet Boys/Nelly/Ludacris and then visual kei bands from Japan.

I was not a huge boy band fan in the era, as a lovely teen dude.

But then when you’re doing karaoke with cute girls and they want the Americans to sing “Bye Bye Bye,” somehow a wormhole opens and you remember all the lyrics.

Also which bands? YOSHIKI is still treated like an absolute deity over here.