Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nuns with Guns)

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

How do we get all those people and their discourse back into the pandora box of tumblr

we make fanfic illegal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Famethrowa posted:

we make fanfic illegal

that would just make it cool and become the basis of an insufferable dystopian YA series

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZK4gM7RC1M0
Don't sleep on this one, probably the funniest video she's ever done.

https://vimeopro.com/churchoftherock/easter-services/page/1

FYI, you can watch the full plays on Vimeo.

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

hmmm, yes i can definitely see the arguments in favor of media and that it is good but... *thinking hard* is it possible that media is bad actually?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

fun hater posted:

i didnt say this. wtf. what i want is to see this discussion in a larger context rather than not at all. why did you assume i wanted to ban it?????? based on literally what??

e: lmfao the rest of your post is predicated on the idea that i wanted to ban something instead of. you know. challenge it.

Yeah, sorry I meant to just respond to your post in the first part and then jump off from there to other people who were kind of implying, "Hey you should really not write this like that because It Bad," and didn't make that clear.

The whole argument (not just your statements) reads like it's stretching "You should think about how you are writing this" toward "You should definitely not write this" and it bothers me a lot when people do that because like OK sorry that some women like stuff that's kinda rapey, it doesn't mean that they support that bullshit IRL any more than someone liking superhero movies supports solving every problem by punching someone.

I think it's possible to be like, "Yeah, I don't like it, it reminds me of bad stuff" without acting like it's the source of every ill in society.

ETA:

fun hater posted:

even censorship were somehow the topic of the conversation we were having, in what universe is "sorry you experienced misogyny but some people like it so we have to keep it around" a satisfying conclusion or answer to come to.

So like you understand that this really does come off like "everyone who likes this wants misogyny around" right?

Puppy Time fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 10, 2022

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

achillesforever6 posted:

It is weird that LO got rid of the whole aspect of incest with Greek Mythology and treats the subject of rape better than most of this kind of ficiton; like a lot of the problematic stuff could have been avoided if she was aged up like 4 years. Having caught up with it seems they did a 10 year time up at least

I saw someone on twitter going on about an LO Fast Pass...did she just mean a Time Skip?

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

Puppy Time posted:

Yeah, sorry I meant to just respond to your post in the first part and then jump off from there to other people who were kind of implying, "Hey you should really not write this like that because It Bad," and didn't make that clear.

The whole argument (not just your statements) reads like it's stretching "You should think about how you are writing this" toward "You should definitely not write this" and it bothers me a lot when people do that because like OK sorry that some women like stuff that's kinda rapey, it doesn't mean that they support that bullshit IRL any more than someone liking superhero movies supports solving every problem by punching someone.

I think it's possible to be like, "Yeah, I don't like it, it reminds me of bad stuff" without acting like it's the source of every ill in society.

please do not treat me like an idiot because you made up a guy to get mad at.

Puppy Time posted:

ETA:

So like you understand that this really does come off like "everyone who likes this wants misogyny around" right?

quote:

i just want people to acknowledge it and talk about it, without immediately being talked to as though i have terminal fandom brain

why not read the actual words i type instead of completely wholesale inventing a position that you think you can argue against.

when i said it was an unsatisfying answer, what i meant is that inexplicably paying lip service to something "absolutely horrible" before using it as a launching pad for an argument so stale you'd break your teeth on it, is rude. tasteless. tacky. gauche. take your pick

quote:

okay time out. can we figure out a thread consensus for whether or not media has an impact on society at large. thank you in advance

e: lol i can't type.

fun hater fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Jul 10, 2022

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

I mean I responded directly to something you typed, and I feel like you're putting a lot of attitudes in my own mouth, so I feel like this isn't going to be especially productive in any case.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

a wonderful conclusion

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

fun hater posted:

im honestly astounded at how your entire post assigned the stupidest possible argument and solution to me appropo of nothing. im a little insulted to be spoken to like im a teenager or the suggestion that i have the mindset of a pearl clutching suburban mother.
Lmfao you are literally speedrunning every single iteration of the "how can I immediately interpret your points in the least charitable way possible and also make it completely about me" jokeposts that are usually exaggerated to make a point but in this case being replicated so earnestly, without irony, that it loops back around to being satire.

If you don't wanna be treated like an unthinking caricature of a reactionary child then maybe don't post stuff like this

fun hater posted:

it's an insulting regressive viewpoint to throw out into the world for young women; it fulfills the niche for trad-caths and other weird freak women who think they belong in a kitchen like twilight once did
All this is is the language of fundamentalist conservatism dressed up in a seemingly-progressive hat and mustache. "People who like this can't tell the difference between reality and fiction." "People with deviant fantasies are sickos." On and on. And when it's pointed out how problematic that mindset is, you rant and shout and toss furniture and act the victim. Please, spare us the stereotypes.

Media can have an impact on society at large and also still be allowed to to depict problematic things. Two concepts existing in tandem. No one's out to demonize you for being grossed out by imbalanced age-gaps in fiction, SomethingAwful Forums Poster fun hater. And on the flip side, maybe don't go around categorizing anyone who's ever had a dirty thought about an older man as a freak.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Happy Landfill posted:

I saw someone on twitter going on about an LO Fast Pass...did she just mean a Time Skip?
Yeah there was a 10 year time skip after the comic went on a 3 month break

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

"not liking regressive fiction tropes is actually conservatism"

fandom arguments are a fuckin wonderland

fun hater
May 24, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

Lmfao you are literally speedrunning every single iteration of the "how can I immediately interpret your points in the least charitable way possible and also make it completely about me" jokeposts that are usually exaggerated to make a point but in this case being replicated so earnestly, without irony, that it loops back around to being satire.

If you don't wanna be treated like an unthinking caricature of a reactionary child then maybe don't post stuff like this

All this is is the language of fundamentalist conservatism dressed up in a seemingly-progressive hat and mustache. "People who like this can't tell the difference between reality and fiction." "People with deviant fantasies are sickos." On and on. And when it's pointed out how problematic that mindset is, you rant and shout and toss furniture and act the victim. Please, spare us the stereotypes.

Media can have an impact on society at large and also still be allowed to to depict problematic things. Two concepts existing in tandem. No one's out to demonize you for being grossed out by imbalanced age-gaps in fiction, SomethingAwful Forums Poster fun hater. And on the flip side, maybe don't go around categorizing anyone who's ever had a dirty thought about an older man as a freak.

dude who said any of this. i feel like im going insane reading it. saying something is tradcath in a derogatory manner is fundamentalist conservatism???

fun hater
May 24, 2009

posting a harsh feminist ("feminist") critique isn't a call for something to not exist. im saying what it is and what it does. are we not even supposed to discuss the effect its existence has?

e:

quote:

No one's out to demonize you for being grossed out by imbalanced age-gaps in fiction,

i didnt say this. i am literally begging you to actually look at the words i am writing and read them and process them. and then respond if you must.

please. im begging you to read with your eyes: condemnation of something is not a call for it not to exist. i think it should not be as popular as it is. does this help you. for the love of god. hit the a button if you understand

fun hater fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Jul 10, 2022

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
Great stuff from DSP on his new Level 1 Podcast!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIXyRHNlcAk

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

fun hater posted:

dude who said any of this. i feel like im going insane reading it. saying something is tradcath in a derogatory manner is fundamentalist conservatism???
You said it. You specifically said it, fun hater. You keep telling us to read the words you're typing and we're doing exactly that. I even quoted the exact passage of your post that says people who like Lore Olympus are weird freak women who want society to regress. Maybe that's not exactly what you meant, maybe you wanna walk back on those words, lord knows we've all said things we later changed our minds on, but let's not pretend you didn't say that exact thing and that it doesn't deserve exactly the response it got.

Alaois posted:

"not liking regressive fiction tropes is actually conservatism"

fandom arguments are a fuckin wonderland
It's a very open secret that a lot of online leftists (NOT ANYONE SPECIFICALLY but the overall community as a whole) simply takes the same old judgmental, conservative attitudes that they were weaned on and switches some words around to resembling the veneer of social justice, all the while mirroring the same assimilationist, sex-negative background that they are trying to break away from. It's how we get things like the "no kink at Pride" movement, et al, which is just an entire demographic of adults being implored to please think of the children.

For our purposes, "not liking regressive fiction tropes" is certainly not conservatism. You can dislike whatever you want. But shaming someone for liking regressive fiction tropes and implying that their tastes in entertainment reflects their real life moral views? Is absolutely a conservative talking point.

Look, sure, it's a complicated issue and there are always nits to be picked at. I can't deny that I myself don't think certain fans of certain fictional relations need to have their brains checked for worms. But I have to at least give people the benefit of the doubt that just because they wanna see Rey get railed by Ren doesn't mean that they don't automatically hate black people, in the same way that I hope people don't think I like the police just because I like Nolan's Batman

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
Oh my god we're having an actual Antis argument in the thread now.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

macabresca posted:

Recently I've seen an interpretation of this myth not so much as a story of Hades and Persephone, but rather the story of Demeter coming to terms with her daughter's death. If death is personified as male, and in Greek myths it is, then a young woman dying could be seen as being 'kidnapped' by the lord of the Underworld.

I think this is where I saw it:

But I'm not sure if I like this interpretation because Demeter eventually strikes a deal with Hades and Persephone comes back to her for some time. I don't see how a story about death taking away your loved-ones would make sense with them coming back. It fits something like Orpheus and Eurydice more, imo.

Still, Persephone plays a secondary role to Demeter in the original myth. And so does Hades, really.
Much like all attempts to rationalise beliefs, this selectively ignores a lot of myth. For example, Hades is not death or the god of death, he doesn't collect souls or mete out fatalities. He is god of the underground and its mineral wealth - he rules the dead simply because the dead are underground, but "rules" is inaccurate because it took a long time for the Greeks to even think of there being an 'afterlife', as classically all souls in Hades are essentially inert shades who are granted a half-life only through remembrances and human blood.

I mean, it's very plainly a 'just so' story about winter. Hades, lord of the invisible world, captures Persephone because she represents life, which visibly disappears during winter to return in spring; just as the sun disappears below the ground only to reappear the next morning. He does so at Zeus' request because of course Zeus is in charge of the world which very obviously has seasonal cycles, so it must be by his assent. I agree that, broadly, the Greek gods' characterisations reflect the nature of what they are in charge of, but Hades is not in charge of fickle death - he is only custodian of the already dead, and all he asks from them are that they stay silent and still forever.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

You said it. You specifically said it, fun hater. You keep telling us to read the words you're typing and we're doing exactly that. I even quoted the exact passage of your post that says people who like Lore Olympus are weird freak women who want society to regress. Maybe that's not exactly what you meant, maybe you wanna walk back on those words, lord knows we've all said things we later changed our minds on, but let's not pretend you didn't say that exact thing and that it doesn't deserve exactly the response it got.

It's a very open secret that a lot of online leftists (NOT ANYONE SPECIFICALLY but the overall community as a whole) simply takes the same old judgmental, conservative attitudes that they were weaned on and switches some words around to resembling the veneer of social justice, all the while mirroring the same assimilationist, sex-negative background that they are trying to break away from. It's how we get things like the "no kink at Pride" movement, et al, which is just an entire demographic of adults being implored to please think of the children.

For our purposes, "not liking regressive fiction tropes" is certainly not conservatism. You can dislike whatever you want. But shaming someone for liking regressive fiction tropes and implying that their tastes in entertainment reflects their real life moral views? Is absolutely a conservative talking point.

Look, sure, it's a complicated issue and there are always nits to be picked at. I can't deny that I myself don't think certain fans of certain fictional relations need to have their brains checked for worms. But I have to at least give people the benefit of the doubt that just because they wanna see Rey get railed by Ren doesn't mean that they don't automatically hate black people, in the same way that I hope people don't think I like the police just because I like Nolan's Batman

my eyes are completely sliding off of this; you are so severely internet poisoned. can someone please confirm/deny if im the crazy one here

e: lmfao wait is this a "hit dog hollers" situation. get well soon

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

The writing in the hades game is pretty drat good so read/play that instead

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

fun hater posted:

my eyes are completely sliding off of this; you are so severely internet poisoned. can someone please confirm/deny if im the crazy one here

no you're right, the guy who loves Wonder Woman comics more than anything ran in here to go to the mats for Lore Olympus

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Is that game as horny as the internet makes it out to be or is it a case of the internet being the internet?

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Jimbot posted:

Is that game as horny as the internet makes it out to be or is it a case of the internet being the internet?

It’s not that horny. That’s mostly just the internet

fun hater posted:

I don’t think you’re coming across super great in this discussion tbh.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Jimbot posted:

It is respectably horny

fun hater
May 24, 2009

thetoughestbean posted:

It’s not that horny. That’s mostly just the internet

I don’t think you’re coming across super great in this discussion tbh.

[sobbing] thats not what i asked!!!! aaaugh!!!

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Man, I can't believe Lindsay Ellis said The Prince of Egypt is a better movie than Raya and the Dragons

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

would you rather watch titan ae or treasure planet

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Is prince of egypt a sandwich?

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Jimbot posted:

Well, Aprhodite is completely nude every time she appears and the main character can enter a polyamorous relationship with a man and woman. Other than that, I think it's just internet being horny for attractive characters.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCwczrxaJS0

fun hater
May 24, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAFLP9CteHw

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

that’s the best one so far

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

All this reminds me of Cinema Therapy's Twilight reviews which, first of all, are kind of great because of the usual merciless ripping-into Twilight for all the usual well-deserved reasons, dissecting the problematic elements of everyone's behavior, along with some wholesome-ish relationship advice.

But something I dislike about these videos is that, fundamentally, these two straight white adult men just do not understand why anyone would ever be drawn to this type of fiction and make no secret about it, constantly and openly wondering why anyone would like Edward or Jacob or Bella, with the usual incredulous appeal that there are much better romantic stories out there, or much better relationship models, or whatever.

It just kinda surprised me that this guy is a bona fide licensed therapist who usually has some fine insights, and yet he just cannot seem to fathom the concept of an escapist fantasy. He doesn't even get close. He just cannot see why any teenage girls might see themselves in the clumsy, introverted, oversensitive protagonist, he's completely bewildered at how anyone would find appeal in the fantasy of a handsome magical man swooping in to rescue you from your dull unfulfilling life into a world of dangers and adventures. The idea that the risk itself is the draw of this story just flies right over his head. The fantasy of having a domineering boyfriend who loves you too much for both of your goods is the entire point.

The closest he gets to empathizing with these things is with some reluctant admission that bad boys are more exciting than good boys or something, which then leads to him imploring the viewer to please stick with the good boys in your life instead of the bad ones because what's exciting isn't necessarily what's good for you. Which is certainly, ah, wonderful therapeutic advice for the people out there who need to hear such things but man, it also rams face-first into the notion that people who like this sort of thing must want this sort of thing, which these guys are usually pretty good at avoiding...but not, it seems, for this specific media.

It just makes me wanna stick these folks in a room with someone like Jenny Nicholson for an hour and see what they say.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Someone brought up Hadestown and I would like to go to bat for it because it's real good and I'm excited to finally see it in a couple of weeks :shobon:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

BrianWilly posted:

It just makes me wanna stick these folks in a room with someone like Jenny Nicholson for an hour and see what they say.

They’d probably say “wow she talked about Star Wars a long time”

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

fun hater posted:

it's an insulting regressive viewpoint to throw out into the world for young women; it fulfills the niche for trad-caths and other weird freak women who think they belong in a kitchen like twilight once did

I thought this was a pretty weird statement to make unless I'm misunderstanding this

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Titan AE was written by Joss Whedon.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

If someone kills slasher movies I’ll be mad as hell.

New Nightmare is my favorite Freddy movie honestly. Scream did it better but I sincerely love NN. I also think the series from 1-4 is pretty good and then falls hard at 5 until NN.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

I AM GRANDO posted:

Titan AE was written by Joss Whedon.

He did one of the rewrites but most of his stuff didn’t stay in the final script

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

thetoughestbean posted:

He did one of the rewrites but most of his stuff didn’t stay in the final script

yeah i think one of his only bits that carried through intact was the "intelligent guard" exchange

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LQhsA6YAmQ