Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Ginette Reno posted:

DS2 was my first Souls game and it's definitely still high up there for me. I get that people don't like the slower combat with it but the level design is great and there's a lot of cool bosses.

The level design and the bosses are the two worst aspects of it lol

I get each to their own but the way I see some people talk about it I feel like we've played entirely different games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

DS2 was always my favorite of the Dark souls, followed by 1 and then 3. So fully agree with above ranking. I kind of hope we get a SotFS version of Elden Ring with some of the cut quests restored and maybe some more interaction with Melina.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I feel like A tier for the og dark souls is a bit nostalgia based.

Going back to it it actually doesn’t hold up that great. Still good

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
the level design is great

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

People are slowly coming around on their appraisal of DS2 and I'm glad

It is a flawed game for sure but by accepting its flaws we can appreciate the finer qualities of it

yeah it never deserved the nuclear hot hate that it got but it doesn't deserve the "actually its S tier" dickriding its been getting recently either

the adaptability stat ALONE is enough to make it a worse game than either DS1 or DS3

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

No Dignity posted:

The level design and the bosses are the two worst aspects of it lol

I get each to their own but the way I see some people talk about it I feel like we've played entirely different games

Yeah I'm not sure how to respond this other than to echo your point of to each their own.

For me, DS1 has cool levels, poo poo bosses. DS2 has cool levels and bosses. DS3 has cool bosses, hit and miss on the levels. Imo the level design felt the least imaginative in 3 of all the Souls games I've played.

Elden Ring has cool bosses and levels, though it does re-use bosses and monsters a little more than I'd like. I almost would have preferred a shorter game but with more varied boss/monster design rather than them making it long as hell but with a lot of reused assets. It's still an incredible S-Tier game though.

I'll fully admit there might be some bias at hand for me since DS2 was my first Souls and thus automatically memorable because of that. But I love that game.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Perfect Potato posted:

the level design is great

the least imaginative level design of the series

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Speaking of the Golden Order greatsword, why does it scale with STR and not INT like a greatsword SoNaF, and why is Radagon's sword just hanging out in a random cave with some Misbegotten?

Seems like a really missed opportunity. At least most of the black flame stuff is pretty reliably dex/faith themed.

TheKnife
Jan 24, 2009

AnEdgelord posted:

yeah it never deserved the nuclear hot hate that it got but it doesn't deserve the "actually its S tier" dickriding its been getting recently either

the adaptability stat ALONE is enough to make it a worse game than either DS1 or DS3

I actually like adaptability more than the over-correction that is the way rolling and equip load work in DS3 and ER. But DS2 has just as many bad ideas as it does good ones i think..

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

exquisite tea posted:

Personally Souls games are all about taking a fundamentally unfair game and exploiting its own logic to make it unfair for the bad guys, so the idea of deliberately avoiding OP poo poo out of some sense of video game honor is bizarre to me. Miyazaki has no honor and doesn’t want you to hold back, either. If From is openly giving me a bunch of tools to destroy Malenia in 20 seconds then hell yeah I’m gonna do that 100% and consider myself the most skilled and strategic gamer of all time for it.

For me the power fantasy is that I maintain my honour code and then get absurdly good at the mechanics and win anyway. There is nothing more satisfying than beating the game with an armourless, shieldless DEX build.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
S+: Elden Ring
S: Demon's Souls remake
A: Dark Souls, Dark Souls 3, Bloodborne, Demon's Souls
B: Sekiro
C: Armored Core series
D: Dark Souls 2
F: any of the souls games but you play as a mage

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
DS2 is my favorite of the three and I've championed it since day one. It has my most playthroughs by far. I remember deleting all the update data for my fists only run through just so I could have a shirtless fist fight with pre-nerf Lost Sinner. I also went out of my way, pre Scholars, to make a character who dual wielded the big smashy shields and smashed every boss in game with those. Including the double lion fight in the frozen tundra zone. I loving loved that game.

DS3, however, is the worst of the three. Only one playthrough. But I may be biased because my first playthrough of that Pontiff Sullivan bugged out and only did his spin attack. And never stopped. He started every fight with the spin and just never stopped the animation. I had to try to stagger him and hope he didn't kill me while I tried this. Fight was loving awful and soured me on the game as a whole.

Also didn't help that 3 took out the ability to power stance just about any different weapon with some other type of weapon.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

TheKnife posted:

I actually like adaptability more than the over-correction that is the way rolling and equip load work in DS3 and ER. But DS2 has just as many bad ideas as it does good ones i think..

there is no "over-correction" that is the way it should have always worked, adaptability is the third worst idea From ever had behind World Tendency and the very existence of the Frigid Outskirts

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
https://youtu.be/eSNZZpvo1Wo

This looks way too cool. This is the sort of combat I had in mind for the next Souls game after Sekiro.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AnEdgelord posted:

there is no "over-correction" that is the way it should have always worked, adaptability is the third worst idea From ever had behind World Tendency and the very existence of the Frigid Outskirts

Quickstep and bloodhound step should require medium and light equip loads respectively. Or a medium bloodhound step works like quickstep instead.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Ravenfood posted:

Speaking of the Golden Order greatsword, why does it scale with STR and not INT like a greatsword SoNaF, and why is Radagon's sword just hanging out in a random cave with some Misbegotten?

Seems like a really missed opportunity. At least most of the black flame stuff is pretty reliably dex/faith themed.

At one point the Misbegotten were called Radagon's Chimeras and there was a stronger connection between them. This short video goes into some details about it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29s_FIlwg2k

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Ravenfood posted:

Probably lore related since it was changed by Radagon after he was gifted it from his first wife Rennala. He was originally the leader of the Golden Army, then after leaving Rennala was Golden Order.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Yeah there wasn’t an over correct. Tying an basic ability to a stat was a bad idea.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

WaltherFeng posted:

https://youtu.be/eSNZZpvo1Wo

This looks way too cool. This is the sort of combat I had in mind for the next Souls game after Sekiro.

You can do this, it’s kind of boring but there is nothing stopping you now

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Ravenfood posted:

What actual advantage does golden parry have over Carian Retaliation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX0mT_NQh7k

A frame earlier parry activation and longer duration, and you can parry with the golden wave in front of you at a distance instead of having to be hit directly

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Here's a fun theory: Radagon is a Mimic Tear, and the reason they cut the Mimic Tear questline from the game is that it makes it too obvious. The talking mimic from cut content has a weird fixation with becoming a "real" copy of you and on becoming a lord, and Marika's words to Radagon are specifically that he "has yet to become me, and yet to become a lord."

The "Marika" we find in the Erdtree is a fake, the real Marika killed herself with destined death and is using the extremely simple ploy of pretending to be Melina while in her "ghost" form, which is why Melina has word perfect recall of multiple things Marika has said. She simply stabbed Mimic-Radagon with destined death and ditched him there to trick the Beast while she was out grooming a tarnished to kill it. Also, she learnt the trick of how to do this from Ranni, who was actually doing a test run of Marika's plan as a collaborator.

Note that Melina definitely lies to you multiple times and explicitly admits to lying at least once. She is not a reliable narrator at all. This is also why Ranni knows her, because Ranni is in on Marika's plan, and why "Marika" is shown to remain inanimate and never speaks in the normal endings. Marika was simply right in your face from the start of the game and is using you as a disposable pawn exactly as she uses Godfrey.

A few additional points on this
- This is where the "unalloyed gold" needle stuff comes from. "Alloyed gold", specifically gold alloyed with the silver mimic tears, is how Miquella and Malenia were born, and using pure gold prevents their weird outer god corruption.
- This is also why Melina burning herself burns the Erdtree. The "kindling maiden" stuff is just a bullshit excuse to cover for the fact that you're incinerating the real Marika, who is linked to the Erdtree.
- This is why Melina knows exactly where the Frenzied Flame is. There's no real way for her to know this if she was recently born. Her freaking out as soon as you get near it is Marika breaking character and begging you to do literally anything else, even the Dung Eater ending.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
DS2 had a lot of locked doors. Sure it has some of the most fun/interesting areas especially for invasions. But I'm not gonna excuse the bad areas and the unfortunately linear branches. I hated my DS2 blindrun because I was stuck for a long time missing this or that well-hidden key or lever that I didn't know I needed. The locked doors sucked. So much backtracking because god knows which locked door this particular key will open.

DS2 released for $60 in April 2014. Just 2 months later they released the first of 3 DLCs, each $15 (but you could buy them as a bundle for $30.) Not exactly day 1 DLC but you get the idea. The DLC was good and worthwhile.

Less than a year after DS2 was launched, a new version DS2: Scholars of the First Sin was released in February 2015. This new version included the base game, all 3 prior DLCs, as well as additional content. Scholars of the First sin cost $60. If you already bought DS2 it still cost $60. If you already bought DS2 and all 3 DLCs it cost $60. You pay them $60. Also Scholars was incompatible with the old DS2 so if you didn't buy it you'd be left in the ghost town version of the game.

Charging players $150 to continue playing the full game is extremely not cool. -5 points for that shameless cashgrab. Splitting the playerbase less than a year after release is unforgivable, -1000 points. Overall I rate DS2 a 0/10.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
Hot take: the conventional wisdom is 100% right. I recently played through them all and still thought DS2 was the worst by a mile. A lot of it is aesthetic; the world just didn't grab me like the other games (ds3 in particular is just so beautifully fallen that I can't get enough of it).

Aside from aesthetics, 2's death penalty, torch rules, and propensity to constantly throw groups of trash mobs at you made it a slog to get through most zones. And your reward was usually a pretty blah boss fight. I'd rather have every game I play for the rest of my life set in Blighttown than ever see Shrine of Amana again.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DS2 was initially my favorite fromsoft game by far and I still have more time in it than any of their other games on steam (bloodborne is probably higher but idk how to check total playtime on ps4). I loved the build variety and the number of ways you could quickly get a wide range of build options going. I also loved the multiplayer and spent many hours doing coop, rat mode, and blue cops.

fromsoft addressed these two qualities by nerfing a major build into uselessness and making the endgame DLCs categorically poo poo on another wide swathe of builds, and then splitting the population with scholar of the first sin. meanwhile it still has every other flaw that its builds and multiplayer were originally making up for. they did that game dirty.

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.

Tolth posted:

Here's a fun theory: Radagon is a Mimic Tear,
. . .
The "Marika" we find in the Erdtree is a fake, the real Marika killed herself with destined death and is using the extremely simple ploy of pretending to be Melina while in her "ghost" form,
. . .

I like it. I was going to say that it replaced this guy's theory https://youtu.be/MuIoQz5XOO4 that the player is actually Miquella as my favorite batshit interpretation of ER. But I don't actually think your theory is batshit at all.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tolth posted:

Here's a fun theory: Radagon is a Mimic Tear, and the reason they cut the Mimic Tear questline from the game is that it makes it too obvious. The talking mimic from cut content has a weird fixation with becoming a "real" copy of you and on becoming a lord, and Marika's words to Radagon are specifically that he "has yet to become me, and yet to become a lord."

The "Marika" we find in the Erdtree is a fake, the real Marika killed herself with destined death and is using the extremely simple ploy of pretending to be Melina while in her "ghost" form, which is why Melina has word perfect recall of multiple things Marika has said. She simply stabbed Mimic-Radagon with destined death and ditched him there to trick the Beast while she was out grooming a tarnished to kill it. Also, she learnt the trick of how to do this from Ranni, who was actually doing a test run of Marika's plan as a collaborator.

Note that Melina definitely lies to you multiple times and explicitly admits to lying at least once. She is not a reliable narrator at all. This is also why Ranni knows her, because Ranni is in on Marika's plan, and why "Marika" is shown to remain inanimate and never speaks in the normal endings. Marika was simply right in your face from the start of the game and is using you as a disposable pawn exactly as she uses Godfrey.

- This is where the "unalloyed gold" needle stuff comes from. "Alloyed gold", specifically gold alloyed with the silver mimic tears, is how Miquella and Malenia were born, and using pure gold prevents their weird outer god corruption.
- This is also why Melina burning herself burns the Erdtree. The "kindling maiden" stuff is just a bullshit excuse to cover for the fact that you're incinerating the real Marika, who is linked to the Erdtree.
- This is why Melina knows exactly where the Frenzied Flame is. There's no real way for her to know this if she was recently born. Her freaking out as soon as you get near it is Marika breaking character and begging you to do literally anything else, even the Dung Eater ending.

Woah sure why not. Cool theory

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Tolth posted:

This is surprisingly plausible. Nice work!

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

A+ theory

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Darth Walrus posted:

Apart from the Blasphemous Blade, which strength/faith weapons should I really be looking out for?

Medium Doot

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Tolth posted:

drat this might actually connect some dots in regards to Marika's relationship to the Nox and all the different versions of life creation that seemed to evolve out of their attempts to create an artificial lord via silver tear experimentation.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

I'm surprised this is still up! The links are hilarious!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eldenring/comments/vw58n3/who_writes_these/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

Tolth posted:

This is fun. a minor issue would be theres references to other kindling maidens though they were literal maidens which Melina is technically not so thats not insurmountable

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Dark Souls 2 rocks and rolls. i love the big fuckin stupid ogres. i hope those hand head guys from ds3 are related to them. They probably stink so drat bad. FromSoftware

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Tolth posted:

This is actually a really cool theory!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

Gologle posted:

This is actually a really cool theory!

Marika is linked to eternal cities as well isn't she. And they were trying their best to make a god. I think the theory is a good one.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Tolth posted:

Melina's not the only kindling maiden though. All maidens are kindling maidens, that is their purpose - to burn a path into the Erdtree for their lord supplicant. Melina even expressly mentions in her first appearance that the Tarnished seeking to be Elden Lord must explicitly violate the Golden Order - the Golden Order however doesn't condemn striving to become Elden Lord, it condemns travelling to the Forbidden Lands that houses the flame of the giants which can burn the seal of the Erdtree. Convincing their Tarnished to violate the Golden Order by travelling to the Forbidden Flame is the goal of all the maidens we see in the game, from Vyke who refused to sacrifice his maiden in fire to Bernahl who turned away from the Order after his maiden burnt herself.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I like that theory, but it fails to explain the eye mirroring between Melina and ranni

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Oh, I forgot to come back for this guy :lol: Are you supposed to beat him before you get the horse?

With as many spoilers as possible, if I kill Tanith can I get into Volcano Manor?