Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Demon_Corsair posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for a starter set? Costco appears to be sold out right now.

Price wise I’m looking to spend around $500 but can go up a bit if it’s worth it.
What are you looking to get out of your golf game? If your budget is up to $700, you can do much better buying used clubs, but that’s obviously not as straightforward as a box set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Josh Lyman posted:

What are you looking to get out of your golf game? If your budget is up to $700, you can do much better buying used clubs, but that’s obviously not as straightforward as a box set.

Something decent that I can grow into. After reading a bit I was looking at the Calloway strata.

On the other hand the decathlon clubs are dirt cheap and apparently very forgiving. So that may be a better option.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
You're better off buying a bag at a local secondhand/thrift store, and then going to a local used golf club dealer and getting a basic set of clubs piecemeal. Don't need much to start. Driver, 4 or 5 hybrid, 6 and 8 iron, pitching wedge, putter is the barebones you'll want. You can fill in the irons, and add another wedge or two if you want. You can definitely squeeze in a good set between the used club trader and the local thrift stores.

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
I would second that you don’t need that many clubs to start. In fact I’d say it’s counterproductive. A putter, a sand wedge, some short irons and maybe a hybrid to tee off with is a great way to start. If the hybrid feels scary to use drop it and tee off with a 7 iron til you get more range time to practice the hybrid. Loft is your friend when figuring things out.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Yeah the minimum set that I would recommend would be:
Driver
5 wood or hybrid
6 iron, 8 iron, PW
SW
Putter

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Swing advice needed. Still working on my long term goal of hitting a draw instead of a fade. Videos previously linked have directed me to do two things

1) practice fixing the face of the club by hitting hooks. This I can do

2) practice swinging inside out using various methods. This I can do as well.

What I can't seem to do is put them together. When I swing in to out the face follows the swing path so the ball starts right and goes straight. When I start thinking more about closing the face, I start swinging out to in.Any ideas?

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

daslog posted:

Swing advice needed. Still working on my long term goal of hitting a draw instead of a fade. Videos previously linked have directed me to do two things

1) practice fixing the face of the club by hitting hooks. This I can do

2) practice swinging inside out using various methods. This I can do as well.

What I can't seem to do is put them together. When I swing in to out the face follows the swing path so the ball starts right and goes straight. When I start thinking more about closing the face, I start swinging out to in.Any ideas?

Legitimate suggestion here: talk to and pay an instructor to analyze and help you fix it. It will get you farther (and faster) than watching YouTube videos and trying to figure it out. They will be able to watch and analyze what you are missing to put the two things together. If you are this far, probably only need an hour or two at most.

Just to add context - I had a really bad slice and very inconsistent striking. A not good and frustrating situation to be playing golf with. Work with an instructor for about 2 hours, he pointed out what I was doing wrong, help me visualize and correct my swing. The slice and inconsistency is largely resolved. Now my issue is learning not to swing to hard, but that's something I need an instructor for, just need to be mindful of what I am trying to accomplish on the course.

Internet Savant fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 5, 2022

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
Why the desire to hit a draw? Seems like an unnecessary complication if you can hit a fade consistently. Some of the best players in the world hit a fade as their preferred shot.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Summit posted:

Why the desire to hit a draw? Seems like an unnecessary complication if you can hit a fade consistently. Some of the best players in the world hit a fade as their preferred shot.

What started out as a fade turned into a regular slice. I never want to see that poo poo again.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

daslog posted:

I swing in to out the face follows the swing path so the ball starts right and goes straight.

If you're trying to induce a draw, you're already halfway there. Keep doing this, but make your grip slightly stronger, one or two millimeters at a time until you get the amount of draw you want. Then cement that in your head.

For me, I like to be able to see only one knuckle of my gloved hand for a more or less straight shot. One extra knuckle, and I know I can get a good 15-25 yard curve on a draw.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I have my driver setup to be as anti left as I can be so I know I'll only have one shot shape and one miss to worry about. My 3w I can draw a bit if I make some tweaks but I don't really like that going left either tbh. My 4 hybrid is lofted up so the face is pretty closed at address, that's probably the longest draw club I have, but if the ball is going left for me overall I know the hooks are starting to come out and I'm going to have a 2 way miss cooking which is the worst feeling in golf imo.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Interesting and really beautiful video about a part of golf I knew existed but not much about. Worth a look if you have 11 minutes.

https://twitter.com/NoLayingUp/status/1544741227760943105

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

I just bought a PXG 0211 after breaking my driver. Anyone else play with this club? I've heard it has a funky noise upon striking the ball.

I am 9 months into golf playing every Thursday at minimum + a sat or Sunday 18 and I love this loving sport

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

I successfully defended my club championship again this weekend, but the pace of play was horrendous thanks to one guy that was in my group both days which really made it tough to have a good time. Yesterday we played as a threesome in 4 hours and today in a foursome in 4:30 and we never had anybody in front of us slowing us down either day. I can't comprehend how people enjoy playing golf at that pace on a daily basis.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Suprfli6 posted:

I successfully defended my club championship again this weekend, but the pace of play was horrendous thanks to one guy that was in my group both days which really made it tough to have a good time. Yesterday we played as a threesome in 4 hours and today in a foursome in 4:30 and we never had anybody in front of us slowing us down either day. I can't comprehend how people enjoy playing golf at that pace on a daily basis.

What was the culprit? Practice swings, over analysing, just straight up walking too fuckin slow?

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:
I was -2 through 13 before I got rained out yesterday, and today I went out and played 5 and shot +8. Golf is fun and makes sense.

I am on the cusp of really good playing but man, I’d love to get my dispersion tighter.

Infomaniac
Jul 3, 2007
Support Cartographers Without Borders
I'm joining the qult. Bought a dozen recycled from some guy on the 10th tee. Very happy with these balls. I even hit my longest approach to the green in a really long time, 233 cobra utility iron @18.5⁰ straight as a string. Very happy.

Infomaniac fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jul 11, 2022

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan

Suprfli6 posted:

Congrats on the CC win dude!

I just got back from 3 days in Palm Springs playing in 113* heat with 16 guys, including 4 who did not break 100 on any of the 3 days. The longest round we played was 3:45 and that was because we had to wait for a goddamn twosome in front of us who would have taken 4.5 hours to finish if we weren't on their rear end all day hounding them to speed it up.

If you can't play a round as a foursome in 4 hours, it's not because you're a bad golfer, it's because you're an rear end in a top hat who takes too long searching for lost balls, not walking/driving to your ball while your partners take their shots, lining up 3-foot putts for triple bogey, etc.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
you're either playing some nice (empty) courses or you're in the middle of BFE if sub-four hour rounds in a foursome are a regular thing

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I don't think I've ever had a sub 4.5 hour tournament round. Maybe my city is just slow as poo poo.

Internet Savant
Feb 14, 2008
20% Off Coupon for 15 dollars per month - sign me up!

Dr. Capco posted:

I don't think I've ever had a sub 4.5 hour tournament round. Maybe my city is just slow as poo poo.

4-5 hour rounds of golf are a big reason I hate playing full rounds. 9 holes taking more than two hours is awful.

But then again, I think everyone should be required to play ready golf at all times, regardless of course fullness.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yes I too love to dream beautiful dreams. There's a reason why my tee times are one of the first ones in the day - I'm with fellow golfers who know what they're doing and we can knock it out.

If you get anything after...say, 8:30 am, good luck. Hope you enjoy people who take 3-4 shots at a time in the fairway, walk 20 yards and do it all over again.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
I live in LA and empty golf courses don't exist here. Also, my home course is consistently one of the top 10 busiest (most rounds played per year) in the world.

Anyway, that doesn't have anything to do with the point I was making, which isn't that 4+ hour rounds don't happen. It's that when they do it's because there's some group of assholes somewhere that are playing too slow and they ruin it for everyone else behind them.

Most golfers absolutely can and will play in ~4 hours if there's nobody preventing them from doing it, but all it takes is one or two idiots in a group to slow the pace of an entire course down to a crawl behind them.

There are obviously exceptions to the 4 hour rule when a course is insanely difficult or just due to geography has massive walks/drives between holes, or is mismanaged. E.g. 6 minute tee time intervals or no marshals enforcing pace of play - both of which used to be the case at my home course. But your average round taking 5 hours to play at a public course is happening because people are looking for their lost ball for 10 minutes, or taking 20 practice swings before every shot, or doing any of the dozens of other things slow golfers do that they shouldn't be.

Our home tournaments on weekends with 100 players used to average 5.5 hours. We had no marshals and no rules against or enforcement penalties for slow play. The city kept threatening to take away our tee times or force us to play later in the day.

4 years ago we elected a new board/tournament committee and they made it their sole mission to speed up pace of play. We established a few rules - any group that's more than 1 hole behind gets 1 warning and then 1 additional hole to catch up before a 2nd infraction is a 2 stroke penalty for everyone in the group, and deputized everyone to be able to call everyone else on it.

Then we hammered the entire club on pace of play tips in every single email that went out and on the website. Stuff like, you don't need to watch everyone putt out if the tee ahead of you is open - just go tee off, if you aren't affecting someone else's line on a 2nd putt, just go putt out instead of marking your ball again, screw honors - if you're at your ball first and not in someone else's way, take your shot even though the other guy is further away, etc.

After a year of this our average round went from the 5.5 hours I mentioned to a hair over 4 hours. 4 years in and we're at 3:55 average and the city now purposely puts us out before any public and will give us as many times as we can fill because we play fast and make them more money.

And the last thing I'll note is that in 4 years of having these draconian pace of play rules, a total of 2 actual penalties have been given in any tournaments. The threat alone works well enough that it basically never happens.

Thanks for coming to my TED talk.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

My course is pretty short and the front nine is wide open while the back nine has more woods, hazards, blind shots, etc. But it’s a fairly rural course in upstate NY that is basically just for locals, it’s nothing like the courses nearby that host tour events, private clubs, etc. Before COVID I could show up any time I wanted with no tee time and find plenty of open holes to jump out and practice. It’s been busier the last couple years but it’s still typical to have a 3 or 3.5 hour round in a foursome unless there’s a really slow group that doesn’t let people play through. I played in a scramble tournament Saturday afternoon after the club championship round and my group was done in a little over 3 hours. Most of the other teams took 4.5 or more because of two groups that were hacking it up pretty good.

The guy that played slow in the CC had a number of things that all added up to a ton of wasted time. He doesn’t get his yardage, pick a club, etc. until it’s his turn to play. He’s very indecisive and will switch clubs a few times before pulling the trigger. Too many practice swings. Adjusts the alignment of his ball multiple times before every putt, even very short ones. The list goes on. He’s a nice guy and he doesn’t consider himself a slow player but it’s miserable getting stuck with him. He’s in my skins league and my partner and I refuse to play with him unless there’s literally nobody else to pair up with.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

wyoak posted:

you're either playing some nice (empty) courses or you're in the middle of BFE if sub-four hour rounds in a foursome are a regular thing

I've found it's purely based on the "type" of course you're playing.

The county I live in has 5 designated county courses (golfmercercounty.com if anyone cares) and pace of play is almost always right around 4 hours for a foursome, even on a packed weekend golf course. The difference I've found is that those courses in particular are usually populated by people who are there to play golf, not have a 4 hour party in the sun where you occasionally hit a golf ball if you can remember where it went, and are aware of things like pace of play, knowing where to park carts/leave bags on every hole so you're not backtracking into the group behind, etc.

quote:

Adjusts the alignment of his ball multiple times before every putt, even very short ones.

This is my dad, it drives me nuts. You don't need to adjust your ball alignment for a 2 footer for double bogey, smack it at the back of the cup and move on.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Josh Lyman posted:

Inspired by the Women's PGA last week and the free Arccos sensors I got, I played on Monday for the first time in a year. I played 1 set of tees up since it had been a long layoff, 6730 yards 72.8/142. (The tips are 7010 yards 74.1/145)

I shot 75 with no birdies though I had a few decent looks. I don't think I hit one good shot the entire round. My speed wasn't too bad, about half a club short of where I normally am.

As for Arccos, it didn't miss any shots BUT it's annoying that in order to get accurate distances, I need to tap it when I'm standing over the ball which messes with my routine, especially when I'm putting. Strokes gained could be helpful but based on this 1 round, it hasn't told me anything I don't already know, namely that my ballstriking is fine but I still need to find a putter I like.

RIP my Scotty Camerons

I played again last Tuesday, same course, same tees. I did manage 1 birdie this time after hitting the green on a drivable par 4 but it also felt like my missed birdie putts came closer, even though SG disagrees (I hit the same number of greens). I did switch from my old Anser 2 to my even older Bullseye Flange--wishing I still had one of my old Newport 2's though. :smith:

I'm skeptical of the SG stats because I generally didn't tap my phone this time and Arccos really struggled with putts. I'm also not sure if it's automatically updating the pin locations because I'm certainly not manually adjusting them, which would affect all the SG stats other than off the tee.

I'm playing again this afternoon, really trying to get my money's worth with this free Arccos trial. :v: I definitely don't plan on paying for the subscription afterward; I think manually tracking fairways, greens, and putts per round is good enough. I also hate that the Arccos sensor pokes through the grip tape that wraps across the butt of the shaft.

In unrelated news, the new Titleist TSR driver looks great, but I generally don't like buying new or the idea of paying $500 for a single club, so I may try to pick up a TSi3 for $350. On the other hand, the extra $150 may be worth it if I'm going to keep the driver for 8 years like I did my 915D3:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb9yAbojrZM

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 11, 2022

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

:siren: British Open thread is up! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4006937 :siren:

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Arccos has absolutely no idea where the pin is unless you tell it. If you have a smart watch, it’ll pop up a button to tap when it detects you’re on the green. I usually hit it when I’m picking my ball up out of the hole. That would definitely screw with your SG metrics.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Lining up putts: I place my ball so that the only thing I can see when putting is white. I found that the lineup marks are not helpful, and in fact hurt me.

I started watching guys who were obsessive about using the lines, adjusting, crouching, adjusting, and none of them consistently hit on the line indicated, and for a large group the line was so far off what i saw as the line of the putt, it just reinforced my view that the line on the ball is mostly meaningless.

I know the really good putters on tour use the line, and do it efficiently and accurately, but I think most golfers are terrible at seeing the putt line, and equally bad at then using the mark on the ball to lineup to that.

I took the ball marking out of the equation and putt much better now. It keeps my focus on the spot I'm putting to instead of on the ball.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

torgeaux posted:

Lining up putts: I place my ball so that the only thing I can see when putting is white. I found that the lineup marks are not helpful, and in fact hurt me.

I started watching guys who were obsessive about using the lines, adjusting, crouching, adjusting, and none of them consistently hit on the line indicated, and for a large group the line was so far off what i saw as the line of the putt, it just reinforced my view that the line on the ball is mostly meaningless.

I know the really good putters on tour use the line, and do it efficiently and accurately, but I think most golfers are terrible at seeing the putt line, and equally bad at then using the mark on the ball to lineup to that.

I took the ball marking out of the equation and putt much better now. It keeps my focus on the spot I'm putting to instead of on the ball.
I also align the ball so I only see white. I don't feel confident that I can get the lineup mark exactly on my starting line, especially since the ball doesn't always sit nicely when you replace it, in which case having the lineup mark "kinda" pointed correctly is useless.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

torgeaux posted:

Josh Lyman posted:

I also align the ball so I only see white. I don't feel confident that I can get the lineup mark exactly on my starting line, especially since the ball doesn't always sit nicely when you replace it, in which case having the lineup mark "kinda" pointed correctly is useless.

I'm also in this crowd, for the same reasons.

Continuously second guessing the line, not trusting the line on the ball, so looking down on the blank surface of the ball and trusting my feet and eyeballs instead has greatly improved my putting.

lloyol
Jun 23, 2005

NARFZ
I joined a charity tournament Texas Scramble format at the last minute and the two women I was grouped with were a delight. Since it was only three of us, we got a free mulligan every shot to make up the fourth person. A majority of my tee shots were used, one woman was accurate with her chips and the other woman had a good read for long putts. The only time I was mad during the course was falling short of the hole-in-one prize for a new car. I should have clubbed up. The observers said I was the closest one at the time.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
Amazon has a Prime Day sale on Callaway Rangefinders, $150 off -- does anyone know if these are any good? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KP195PY/ref=cm_sw_r_api_i_dl_K78V1FYE1NZVW5A0C2QF_0?th=1

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Petey posted:

Amazon has a Prime Day sale on Callaway Rangefinders, $150 off -- does anyone know if these are any good? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01KP195PY/ref=cm_sw_r_api_i_dl_K78V1FYE1NZVW5A0C2QF_0?th=1

Also if you have a prime card or one of it's variants there's up to 20% off tons of golf stuff

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

my elderly father has shot his age 4 times this year already including a 78. Today he would have done it again but he three jacked the last hole

he is currently flaying the head pro on a nearly daily basis in an ongoing grudge match, he refuses to give up any weight because "I'm a 13 until the computer says I'm not." he also refuses to move back a set of tees because "I'm 79 years old with a hosed up back, they can move up or play better."

my dad owns is what i'm saying here

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Critical posted:

my elderly father has shot his age 4 times this year already including a 78. Today he would have done it again but he three jacked the last hole

he is currently flaying the head pro on a nearly daily basis in an ongoing grudge match, he refuses to give up any weight because "I'm a 13 until the computer says I'm not." he also refuses to move back a set of tees because "I'm 79 years old with a hosed up back, they can move up or play better."

This is amazing, your dad is great

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Critical posted:

Dad rules

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Bridgestone just dropped DeChambeau, I wonder if he's going to keep playing their ball.

nerox
May 20, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

Bridgestone just dropped DeChambeau, I wonder if he's going to keep playing their ball.

Maybe he will get sponsored by Top Flite with their "Bomb" golf ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Demon_Corsair posted:

Something decent that I can grow into. After reading a bit I was looking at the Calloway strata.

On the other hand the decathlon clubs are dirt cheap and apparently very forgiving. So that may be a better option.

I got the Callaway Strata set a year ago in April, found it amazingly easy and forgiving. I'm completely crap, mind - 24.5 handicap still after 14 months - but it's not the clubs' fault and they built my confidence enough that I'm playing with others, joined two clubs (Lundin and Charleton), have played with 40 mates at Gullane, have notched off various other Scottish top-100 (Elie is dreamy) and never had anyone even mention the set.