Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah, I just hate how he catches them in this one.
It was basically the contact lens gambit from the first Culp episode, except... lame (almost to the point of cheating the audience).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Payndz posted:

A decent lawyer could surely have put plenty of doubt in a jury's mind about it. But hey, that's not what the show's about.

This is why I love any episode that ends with the murderer going insane and confessing everything in front of Columbo/the police. Those guys are probably going to jail. The ones that just end with a shocked "I can't believe he figured it out" face are definitely gonna get a lawyer to pick apart Columbo's circumstantial evidence and walk

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

its not about people going to jail for their crimes. its about the murderer realizing columbo was a worthy opponent and honorably submitting to defeat as the loser in their game.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Payndz posted:

A decent lawyer could surely have put plenty of doubt in a jury's mind about it. But hey, that's not what the show's about.

That would actually be a cool thing to see, Columbo on the stand. The smary defense lawyer believes he's going to get his client off, all he has to do is tear apart this shabby, rumbled detective when he's on the stand. And it begins to look likes it's going to work. The judge has to keep reminding Columbo to stay on subject as Columbo detours into a story about his wife, or some relative back home in Italy. Columbo's testimony with "Oh jeez", and "why didn't I think about that?" And just when the defense is about to rest, Columbo proves without a shadow of a doubt in the jury's mind that Robert Culp/Jack Cassidy/Patrick McGoohan is guilty and leaves the lawyer a jibbering mess.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Lady Radia posted:

the commodore episode is really bad, and the london one

the london one is sooooooo boring

commodore is immediately after Great Santini which is some real quality whiplash

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I just watching that one. My jaw dropped a few minutes after that bit when I realized Falk and Culp were standing in front of a mountain of cigarette cartons. Right next to the produce! Come on kid, forget those lame apples, swipe a carton of Marlboros.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

https://twitter.com/calavera145/status/1533619442902523904?s=21&t=rxDTrC5BT3d_a82lJR3J_g

Last screenshot features Columbo using a gun 0/10

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

He drew a gun in one of the 90s movies, "No Time to Die".

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Columbo tumblr community is skrong. Sent this to my girlfriend because since I convinced her to start watching it with me she's obsessed with Peter Falk and the show. At this point I have to somehow get her onto something else because I've seen every episode (exception of seasons 9-11) 4+ times over last year or more.

knox fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Jun 7, 2022

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
lmao

hybridnoisebloom
Nov 16, 2021

just watched "the greenhouse jungle" last night. slowly becoming convinced this show is nearly perfect.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-n5qVwn-Xc

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

hybridnoisebloom posted:

just watched "the greenhouse jungle" last night. slowly becoming convinced this show is nearly perfect.

one thing that stops it from being perfect is that so many episodes are so unfortunately padded out to movie length when they really should be 45 minutes or so. so many episodes where we see way too much setup and Columbo doesn't even show up until literally 45 minutes into the episode

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

The padding is often the best part.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

I feel like the slower storytelling and human drama was a hallmark of many 70s productions. You even feel it in Robert Redford’s scenes in Winter Soldier, which was intended.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

El Fideo posted:

The padding is often the best part.

I feel like you also need some extraneous stuff so that it's not necessarily obvious all the time how Columbo is gonna find his leads and crack the case. If you start streamlining episodes down to 45 minutes I think naturally each case would become more simplified for the audience and Columbo's path to the answer would be obvious because they'd have to use every minute of screentime efficiently to lay the foundation for it. With the extra padding you can kinda camouflage those things a little more so the audience doesn't always see them coming from a mile way.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
don't get me wrong, a lot of the episodes are fine, but some of them just have too much setup

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I like it when Columbo shows up halfway through the episode, he’s like the shark from Jaws

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Basebf555 posted:

I feel like you also need some extraneous stuff so that it's not necessarily obvious all the time how Columbo is gonna find his leads and crack the case. If you start streamlining episodes down to 45 minutes I think naturally each case would become more simplified for the audience and Columbo's path to the answer would be obvious because they'd have to use every minute of screentime efficiently to lay the foundation for it. With the extra padding you can kinda camouflage those things a little more so the audience doesn't always see them coming from a mile way.

It also allows time to build the characters and the setting for the story.

It helps the pacing and allows for a modicum of world building so that, even though the show does follow a rather rigid template, each episode kind of has its own unique flavor and doesn't seem like it's repeating itself. And Columbo rambling on about unimportant bullshit is so great because the suspect always thinks he's getting over and is happy to indulge the Lieutenant in discussing flowers or pasta recipes for as long as he wants before Columbo busts out his whole "oh, yeah, one more thing, sir. I almost forgot" trademark.

hatty posted:

I like it when Columbo shows up halfway through the episode, he’s like the shark from Jaws

Bad fish. Swallow you whole.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I also enjoy that initial period of time where the perp is all friendly to Columbo and arrogantly glad-handing him, and then that gradual realization that Columbo might actually be a threat.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Basebf555 posted:

I also enjoy that initial period of time where the perp is all friendly to Columbo and arrogantly glad-handing him, and then that gradual realization that Columbo might actually be a threat.

Columbo's just so good at unassuming. In part because I genuinely think he doesn't want to appear threatening for the sake of both people he's trying to help and the rich d-bags he's going after.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Basebf555 posted:

My favorite one of these is an episode - I can’t remember which one, where Columbo shows up to the crime scene with a terrible cold. When the murderer greets him, Columbo declines to shake his hand - “I’ve got an awful cold and I don’t want you to get sick, sir.”

The guy then proceeds to show Columbo around, complete with several rounds of “Well Lieutenant, it’s obvious to me that the murderer must have come in through this window” & “I think you’ll find it quite clear that the murderer must have exited through this door,” etc etc etc

Columbo then smiles, thanks the man for showing him around, and gladly extends his hand to shake the man’s hand.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

OldSenileGuy posted:

My favorite one of these is an episode - I can’t remember which one, where Columbo shows up to the crime scene with a terrible cold. When the murderer greets him, Columbo declines to shake his hand - “I’ve got an awful cold and I don’t want you to get sick, sir.”

The guy then proceeds to show Columbo around, complete with several rounds of “Well Lieutenant, it’s obvious to me that the murderer must have come in through this window” & “I think you’ll find it quite clear that the murderer must have exited through this door,” etc etc etc

Columbo then smiles, thanks the man for showing him around, and gladly extends his hand to shake the man’s hand.

king poo poo

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
drat I don’t think I noticed that, god Columbo is cool.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I like the one with Robert Conrad where Columbo basically gets several sessions of free personal training from the guy before nailing him.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I know you all mentioned it, but I don't think I was quite ready for how bad Commodore is. I'm halfway through and this may be the first episode I'm thinking of skipping through.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
part of that is that it bookends a pretty solid season

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

hatty posted:

"i don't know what'd be worse -- columbo showing up suddenly like a stroke or slowly walking towards you like a cancer."

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

PantsOptional posted:

I know you all mentioned it, but I don't think I was quite ready for how bad Commodore is. I'm halfway through and this may be the first episode I'm thinking of skipping through.

Commodore is great. It's the one episode of the series that makes the audience feel like they are the murderer.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its hard for me to tell between commodore, or the most recent episode i watch, murder in malibu, is worse. on one hand commodore is at least weird enough to be interesting while bad, while malibu is just a snoozefest, but on the other hand i actively dislike columbo in commodore

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
He used the murder weapon to crack his boiled egg! :allears:

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce
I just started the first of the revival episodes and I’m trying to imagine what this must have been like to see at the time. Opening up your detective show after a decade with an extended psychic-military industrial complex scene was a hell of a choice.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah Commodore isn't really "bad" to me because it's at least interesting

the episode in England where the entire first hour is just the theater troupe farting around, woof

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Dagger of the Mind is my least favorite episode but I haven’t seen the 90s seasons yet.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I enjoyed the goofy ~THEATRE~ aspects of it and I liked the funeral scene but the ending was a bit sketchy. The ridiculous overacting is definitely baked in and I can see why it wouldn't be to everyone's tastes. It's an oddity, like the episode where we go all in on the italian restaurant or the military prep academy.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
see, i was in drama and i love theater, and even i didn't like that aspect, lmao

i can't even remember why, just that it was boring

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
https://twitter.com/HistoryMuppet/status/1551776916444782592?s=20&t=GZUrFuoTgmhAqNu40TaOBw

A shame we never got a Columbo Muppet Mystery.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
well now i'm just gonna spend all day watching the old muppets movies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

A shame we never got a Columbo Muppet Mystery.

Sesame Street gave us Colambo though, that was pretty good.