Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost
It is probably the Picross addict in me, but I'd play un-ending levels of Dungeons & Diagrams puzzles until I withered away into a husk :catstare:

Edit: It is probably the smaller scope of these games, but I really want to try writing solvers for at least some of them, for the fun of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Oh, of course I was stuck on Chipwizard, I didn't notice that the V+ always provide a constant signal! :argh:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Mystic Mongol posted:

Ugly, ugly solution, and having the initial cell evolve twice before dying ate up a ton of my instruction slots. The rest were eaten up cleaning up after my need for lightning fast eyeball development. I could have started one space up. Fast, though!

I had something very similar to this, with two fewer slots, but it's still ugly as sin. But hey, it's stable.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Hack Match:

Excuse me, what the gently caress

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Oh god there’s an L4? I can’t even get halfway through L3.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
I would love to be able to use a game pad for the arcade game.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I was not prepared for how badly I would want Steed Force lore but here I am

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Oldstench posted:

I would love to be able to use a game pad for the arcade game.

You can. Go to the control config screen and press game pad buttons instead of keyboard keys when assigning controls.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

magimix posted:

Edit: It is probably the smaller scope of these games, but I really want to try writing solvers for at least some of them, for the fun of it.

Strange thing: there actually IS a Solver for Dungeons and Diagrams _in_ the LCBBS executable. I don’t know if it’s ever used, mind you.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Picked up Last Call and it's pretty cool. Dungeons & Diagrams has probably commanded most of my attention, but the model kits surprised me with how fun they were. I've never really been into models, so I figured it'd just be a break from the more intensive games, but once I figured out what the masking tape was for something clicked in my head and I really got into it.

I've got a love-hate relationship with Solitaire, so I burned through those two to get them out of the way. Swindler Solitaire is still my favorite Zach-iteration on the game, but the Japanese/Dutch thing was pretty absorbing. Still slowly trying to figure out the rest.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
oh my god i was halfway through food court before i realized that fryers were conveyors just like anything else, i had thought you could only enter and exit them from the same side so i was using a complex timing system using sequencers this entire time

everything's so much simpler now

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Ask me about my STD collection!

Hats Wouldnt Fly posted:

I realized that you can use other parts as stencils
WHAT

I am obsessed with this little game. Great tip. Can you zoom in?

I'm stuck on Graveyard of the Vernal King. The fourth stage of Dungeons and Diagrams. Which means I'm probably not very good at this. I'm good at Sudoku but it has absolutes. I have found multiple solutions that work but none that qualify the parameters of the game. I can't seem to figure out how to put the lich in a dead end with that 0 column right next to it.

Jelly fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Jul 9, 2022

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can enter fryers from the exit side?

This changes everything. Time to get some new highscores. (Lowscores?)

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Jelly posted:

I can't seem to figure out how to put the lich in a dead end with that 0 column right next to it.

Start from facts about the board you know must be true and work from there. For example, since you know the lich is in a dead end and the space to the right of it is empty, that means the spaces above, to the left and below it must be walls according to the rules, so go right ahead and mark them off. Then try to find something else that must now be true, and so on.

Remember, you can right-click to mark spaces you know must be empty, too.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jul 9, 2022

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

I just tried Steed Force with my 3 year old, and the story behind it is sound. Kids love to put together virtual gunpla. I hope full release has a bunch more kits.

I'm loving Dungeons and Diagrams for doing a ten minute puzzle, Food Court feels like it could be a real Zachlike, and I'm obsessed with the forbidden flesh and it's edgy dialogue, I'm not sure how the mechanics work but I'm liking trying to puzzle out.

Chip Wizard is stressing me a little bit as I'll open up a new level and have absolutely no clue how to ever accomplish it, but it is very satisfying to solve.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Bug Squash posted:

Food Court feels like it could be a real Zachlike

According to the AMA, Last Call BBS started as just Food Court and was planned to be a standalone game that was just that. So that checks out.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Jelly posted:

I'm stuck on Graveyard of the Vernal King. The fourth stage of Dungeons and Diagrams. Which means I'm probably not very good at this. I'm good at Sudoku but it has absolutes. I have found multiple solutions that work but none that qualify the parameters of the game. I can't seem to figure out how to put the lich in a dead end with that 0 column right next to it.
Remember that diagonal spaces don't count (so a "deadend" only affects 4 adjacent spaces, not 8).

SupSuper fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 9, 2022

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

My first finalized robot. I am uncreative so tried to make it match the plans exactly.

I really wish D&D had a "?" mark option along with Wall and no wall.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
The STEED FORCE builder should have a 1 in 50 chance that when you trim a tiny piece off the runner it goes flying and you need to scour the carpet in your room to find it.

Jelly
Feb 11, 2004

Snake Maze posted:

The STEED FORCE builder should have a 1 in 50 chance that when you trim a tiny piece off the runner it goes flying and you need to scour the carpet in your room to find it.

Haha, I think it's enough that they don't have an undo button.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.

Jelly posted:

WHAT

I am obsessed with this little game. Great tip. Can you zoom in?

Edit: More crab

Hats Wouldnt Fly fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 9, 2022

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.
What's happening in the top picture?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
It shows you how you can put one of the little round rocket knob parts over the head part before painting it to get a pin-point accurate round colored spot for the eye thing or whatever it is

instead of spending fifteen minutes to put down approximately 48 tiny snippets of packing tape into a roughly round shape

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
So the relatively early "Soda Wars" level of the game is pretty straight forward. As always, I solve all my problems by throwing huge amounts of money at them to maximize speed. Efficiency is for nerds, speed is the only number that matters.

https://i.imgur.com/lDCvOuk.mp4

And yet, somehow, some god drat apostate Lyshkami as beaten this design by two cycles. This is faster than the top 1% of all solutions. Did you eat the brains of a witch? How do you do this?

e: So making 3 soda cases 1 step faster and one soda case 1 step slower means I have a worse final score, which means... what, that it's the slowest time of the four cases? Booooooooooo.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 11, 2022

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
Crazy stuck on Stepper Motor Driver in Chipwizard right now. I can't even get either of the B inputs on its own let alone in a way that leaves room for the rest. My solution to Dual Oscillator depended on the offset being the same as the period.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Eggnogium posted:

Crazy stuck on Stepper Motor Driver in Chipwizard right now. I can't even get either of the B inputs on its own let alone in a way that leaves room for the rest. My solution to Dual Oscillator depended on the offset being the same as the period.

I think for that one I used a cheater circuit that sends a pulse on the very first tick and then turns itself off as part of my solution. The rest of it is a pretty easy extension of dual oscillator.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Eggnogium posted:

Small hint: You can do all four outputs with a single oscillator

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Food court is really scratching the itch that The Signal State didn't quite satisfy. I'll be impressed if the walrus can be done much cheaper than this

I'm also really happy with my 29 time donut solution but I cheated a bit by looking at someone else's solution, I wasn't sure it was feasible to use three fryers

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
At first I was only able to match your cost, but then I figured out some neat tricks with stopping sequencers that allowed me to ditch a bunch of multimixers and latch counters and save a decent chunk more:

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Mystic Mongol posted:

And yet, somehow, some god drat apostate Lyshkami as beaten this design by two cycles. This is faster than the top 1% of all solutions. Did you eat the brains of a witch? How do you do this?
If you want to know the trick... you can enter painters from the other side

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Llamadeus posted:

If you want to know the trick... you can enter painters from the other side

Fuuuuuuuuh!? Gonna go beat my head against this revelation for a while. (I am annoyed that this works for about 40% of all machines, more or less at random)

Regardless! I have nearly everyone's name from the last few threads, but if you're new please add me to your friends list so we can compare solution numbers!

https://steamcommunity.com/id/MysticMongol/

Arms_Akimbo
Sep 29, 2006

It's so damn...literal.
I would just like to say to the boys at zachtronics:

Making nachos with eurorack and voltage control has been my lifelong dream and I didn't even know it until I started playing 20th Century Food Court.

Thank you for leading me on this path of realization

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Jabor posted:

At first I was only able to match your cost, but then I figured out some neat tricks with stopping sequencers that allowed me to ditch a bunch of multimixers and latch counters and save a decent chunk more:

drat nicely done. Faster too! I never thought of putting the ice in first haha

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Jelly posted:

I'm stuck on Graveyard of the Vernal King. The fourth stage of Dungeons and Diagrams.

I got a weird glitch on that one where I solved the puzzle, but it didn't register. I reset and did the exact same thing (I compared screenshots) and it played the win animation the second time.

Currently stuck on level 8, The Demon Marquis of Lust. I can't find a valid configuration of the bottom row as a starting point, much less a solution.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Slyphic posted:

Currently stuck on level 8, The Demon Marquis of Lust. I can't find a valid configuration of the bottom row as a starting point, much less a solution.

A general technique that gets increasingly useful as you go is to speculatively put down an empty marker next to an enemy and seeing what that implies about the other spaces around that enemy. If any of them lead to a contradiction - e.g. too many walls along a row - then you know that tile can't be empty and must be a wall. Repeat as much as you can, keeping in mind all the rules about dead ends.

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

A general technique that gets increasingly useful as you go is to speculatively put down an empty marker next to an enemy and seeing what that implies about the other spaces around that enemy. If any of them lead to a contradiction - e.g. too many walls along a row - then you know that tile can't be empty and must be a wall. Repeat as much as you can, keeping in mind all the rules about dead ends.

I get that, and I think I did so for the bottom row, to the point I was rereading the rules and placing a single block and working through all the implications of it, and I straight up can't reconcile the bottom row only having 4 walls, plus all dead ends having monsters.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I think there are easier places to start on that level than the bottom row. Try to narrow down where the treasure room could actually be, for example.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah, something I didn't figure out early on is that the sides give you more information than you think, eg: 1 wall on a border row/column has guaranteed empty spaces, 1 wall 1 monster has even more.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

I'm at that annoying bit that I find in a lot of Zachtronics games where the problems are less "I need to think up a clever solution to this" and more "this is now a spatial reasoning puzzle", which I find less engaging. Specifically I only have 1 puzzle left on both Food Court and Chipwizard, with Stepper Motor (:argh:) being the one left over on Food Court. I absolutely can't work out how to do those two in the space provided.

I think this is part of the reason I actually did enjoy Signal State more than Food Court, because I felt less like I was fighting the space restrictions and more like I was having to be clever.

(alternatively I'm just very, very inefficient. Check out my awful, ugly solution for the penultimate food court level, it sucks so much)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
In Food Court, I hate the way the Fryer works.

The "Sense" output fires once after an item is triggered to eject, which throws off the counters.

So if the Fryer ejects at zero, the associated counter will actually go to -1. This means I can't use the same counter initialization for subsequent orders. A good example of this is The Commissary, where several of the orders have two four-tick fried foods.

I know I could set the counter one higher and fire an event to de-increment it when the factory starts, but that seems really sloppy, and I don't always have a free output on my Start event.

I could also build the Eject into a sequencer routine, but again, I often don't have free outputs on my sequencers.

Has anyone found a good workaround for this?