Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Those improvements in B&S look real nice. Still not sure if I want to buy yet but it looks like it's getting there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

boloney posted:

Blade and Sorcery update 11 is out https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/629730?updates=true&emclan=103582791463356090&emgid=3325360490853605276

New magic stuff, big graphical upgrade, animations, etc. Feels pretty good

after nearly a year of not playing anything in VR (more game releases please!) i jumped in and got extremely motion sick after just 10 minutes. i should've known better than to try and freeform cliffwall climb straight away :v:

also i couldnt figure out how to access dungeons anymore lol

boloney
May 29, 2021
The 'map' that you use to go places is now outside of the starting house, in a dock by the water

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

marumaru posted:

after nearly a year of not playing anything in VR (more game releases please!) i jumped in and got extremely motion sick after just 10 minutes. i should've known better than to try and freeform cliffwall climb straight away :v:

also i couldnt figure out how to access dungeons anymore lol

There's something with Blade and Sorcery that made me more motion sick than any VR game. Don't know if the movement was jittery or I was getting frame drops I didn't know about compared to other games but I had to refund it. Like I can play H3VR for an hour straight and feel fine but five minutes of B&S and I had to lie down.

That and brutally stabbing realistic 3D characters in VR, especially with the like, looks of terror the enemies have on their faces when you grab them just felt deeply uncomfortable for me. Shooting H3VR sosigs or like cartoon gladiators in Gorn was fine but this just felt different.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

When I impale a guy six ways from Sunday and watch him strain out an "Euhh!" as he crabwalks around looking like a porcupine I can't help but laugh

Blade & Sorcery has just, so so much besides just stabbing violence. All of the magic spells are good fun, especially on the staves, and there are so many mods with other magic spells and things like Spiderman webbing that when I read impressions that it's too violent, I just have to ask how you're playing.

If you're new to the game, not trying stuff out or moving much, and just you really only have the imagination to stab someone, it starts to feel weird.

I haven't seen anyone play it like a murder sim. I don't see people torturing the writhing AI homies, unless that's all they think they're capable of: stab? slow stab? grab them... and stab their eye? Slash at them like Gorn?

Don't play that way.

This sounds directed at you but I'm not trying, I just hear this sentiment a lot and I get it fersher but it just feels like people are clutching pearls a lil bit

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

That and brutally stabbing realistic 3D characters in VR, especially with the like, looks of terror the enemies have on their faces when you grab them just felt deeply uncomfortable for me. Shooting H3VR sosigs or like cartoon gladiators in Gorn was fine but this just felt different.

that's a criticism i've seen often and i'm always surprised at just how much i can't relate. i feel like for me to be truly immersed it'd have to be way more realistic graphics wise. to me the enemies look like oblivion-level potato blobs, i never suspend my disbelief :v:

it's cool that anton intentionally made sosigs... sosigs, exactly for that reason. for such a high fidelity gun simulator that will absolutely draw in certain crowds it's great that the enemies are not humanoid at all

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

forest spirit posted:

When I impale a guy six ways from Sunday and watch him strain out an "Euhh!" as he crabwalks around looking like a porcupine I can't help but laugh

Blade & Sorcery has just, so so much besides just stabbing violence. All of the magic spells are good fun, especially on the staves, and there are so many mods with other magic spells and things like Spiderman webbing that when I read impressions that it's too violent, I just have to ask how you're playing.

If you're new to the game, not trying stuff out or moving much, and just you really only have the imagination to stab someone, it starts to feel weird.

I haven't seen anyone play it like a murder sim. I don't see people torturing the writhing AI homies, unless that's all they think they're capable of: stab? slow stab? grab them... and stab their eye? Slash at them like Gorn?

Don't play that way.

This sounds directed at you but I'm not trying, I just hear this sentiment a lot and I get it fersher but it just feels like people are clutching pearls a lil bit

I have murdered so many people in the stab simulator at this point. Blade and sorcery rules even if you just play it american psycho style

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday
Can enemies hold weapons with both hands yet or is that still a stretch goal?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

forest spirit posted:

forest spirit posted:

I haven't seen anyone play it like a murder sim.

starting to think you might be the wrong person to ask

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

I've got an good selection of VR titles at this point but B&S is the one I keep coming back to again and again. If you install a bunch of mods it becomes a childhood fantasy come true and it's always fun for a good hour once in a while. I can currently clobber people by switching effortlessly between Luke's lightsaber, clouds Buster sword and wolverines claws or any historical weapon I always wanted to try out, it's great fun. For the 20 bux it costs it's great value imo, and the new update is a significant again.

E: also Motion sickness is completely gone for me in this game, it was there at the beginning tho.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

forest spirit posted:

I haven't seen anyone play it like a murder sim.

oh man i've seen some seriously creepy webms floating around. hint: B&S has a male/female ratio slider

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I just played around with the update and the new gravity spells are FUN AS poo poo. In slow-mo everything physics related is more powerful, so the launch jump sends you super far and the hover jets are powerful. I finished a wave by clearing a jump between both sides of the Ruins upper level and pulling my spear from my back to dragoon a dude. The enemy fights better too, much more fluid. They can even sort of parry now!

On the subject of creative violence, one of my most :black101: moments was when I ducked under a guy's swing and grabbed him, slit his throat and then threw his body into an oncoming duo, knocking them down. Just felt so assassin's creed or something

Sandwich Anarchist fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 11, 2022

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I bought B&S tonight and kinda struggled through the tutorial and then had no fuckin clue how to do anything once in the home area. After wandering around aimlessly for a while I finally saw the board by the dock and tried the arena out. Fun stuff, but I think I need to spend some more time with it as it's late and I have to work tomorrow. I did get one particularly gnarly kill with a sword that went like through their hand and into their neck and it was visceral enough to make me exclaim "holy poo poo!" in real life.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

explosivo posted:

I bought B&S tonight and kinda struggled through the tutorial and then had no fuckin clue how to do anything once in the home area. After wandering around aimlessly for a while I finally saw the board by the dock and tried the arena out. Fun stuff, but I think I need to spend some more time with it as it's late and I have to work tomorrow. I did get one particularly gnarly kill with a sword that went like through their hand and into their neck and it was visceral enough to make me exclaim "holy poo poo!" in real life.

Yeah the first couple times I played it I got queasy and I don't think it was entirely motion sickness.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
You know, Crackdown 1 VR would be a pretty cool game.
With a combination of climbing, shooting and driving plus open world.
Well I mean, Saints Row 2 VR would be better, but yeah CD 1.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

the biggest drawback of B&S imo is that there's still no progression. they have been making a lot more progress with it lately (what with the release of Dungeons and equipabble armor) but it's still a bit lame. it'd be a fantastic game to just have the same gameplay loop as Exanima but in first person VR

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah, it feels like H3VR but without Take and Hold so there's nothing to be like "Here's where the real game is when you're done fartin around with swords". I barely played an hour so maybe there is more there but I haven't heard about anything like that in the game yet. I see from the main menu they're working on a mode that has you going through unlocks and stuff for better weapons but I think it just says "coming 2022"

marumaru
May 20, 2013

explosivo posted:

Yeah, it feels like H3VR but without Take and Hold so there's nothing to be like "Here's where the real game is when you're done fartin around with swords". I barely played an hour so maybe there is more there but I haven't heard about anything like that in the game yet. I see from the main menu they're working on a mode that has you going through unlocks and stuff for better weapons but I think it just says "coming 2022"

yeah theres a room in the house where you'll access the crystal whatever mode. with dungeons and armor in im guessing it'll be in the next update, which does seem feasible for still happening this year

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

My friend bought Master Bladesmith over the weekend and it sounds like if there were ever two games to mash into one it'd be that game and B&S. Being able to make your own weapons then run into a dungeon to kill/collect more stuff to come back and make better stuff would be sweet. Instead it sounds like while the sword making is pretty neat that game's lovely target range that you have to grind to advance really drags it down.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

marumaru posted:

the biggest drawback of B&S imo is that there's still no progression. they have been making a lot more progress with it lately (what with the release of Dungeons and equipabble armor) but it's still a bit lame. it'd be a fantastic game to just have the same gameplay loop as Exanima but in first person VR

They are working on that though, so hopefully it's soon

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

marumaru posted:

Yeah but it's very clearly in early access.
People keep thinking "early access means I get to play the full game early" which is wrong.

Check their update notes. They're working on a full progression system but they're not out of EA yet.

U11 was massive and will do a lot to ensure the foundation for Crystal Hunt is solid.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
This looks pretty cool.
Gives me a Boneworks with a little Control thrown in feel.
Unknown release date.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=viTGUnLEjSg

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1107340/LONN/

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Looks neat but I am sick of fighting crab bots.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

njsykora posted:

Also even with recent gains there are still more MacOS Steam users than VR Steam users.
Keep in mind that these stats are skewed by people like me who install the Steam client on everything. I have a Macbook Air that has had Steam installed since day one but has had about five minutes of gaming done on it in its entire life. Between my girlfriend and I there are five computers in our apartment that have Steam installed, three of those are laptops and only one has seen games that aren't Minecraft or The Sims.

Users who Steam counts as VR gamers have almost certainly played some amount of VR games, where users that Steam counts as Mac gamers might never have played a Mac game at all.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I'm not super convinced a large install base means better games in the first place

I mean there are three billion active android devices in the world and that game market is awful (if you don't count the ports)

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

explosivo posted:

My friend bought Master Bladesmith over the weekend and it sounds like if there were ever two games to mash into one it'd be that game and B&S. Being able to make your own weapons then run into a dungeon to kill/collect more stuff to come back and make better stuff would be sweet. Instead it sounds like while the sword making is pretty neat that game's lovely target range that you have to grind to advance really drags it down.

Master Bladesmith is pretty decent. The real downside is that the updates have been, like, glacially slow. I thought it was totally abandoned before he updated back in February.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkugYFejW3E
Beta for Vertigo 2

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I feel like this is the first I’ve heard of that game. What even is it? It has strong no man’s sky vibes but I’m doubting that’s what it is

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

That trailer didn't reveal anything, but from what I remember the devs said they were going for a giant battlefield map that a war is taking place on.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I played a bit more B&S tonight but I'm just not feeling it. I think the issue is that while the weapons and magic fx and animations all look very nice you're still waggling around a fake VR sword in combat and none of it really feels particularly satisfying to me. I think it's partially the way the enemies react to getting hit, like most of the time it feels like you're fighting a ragdoll. Standing there holding someone's head and rubbing the sword back and forth on their neck trying to get it to count as a slice. I think there's something here but unlike H3VR the basic sandbox elements don't feel satisfying enough to spend a ton of time on so I'll definitely be coming back to this whenever they inject some game into that game.

Edit: Star Wars mod seems sick, hopefully that doesn't get a c&d because that could be worth it alone.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

explosivo posted:

I played a bit more B&S tonight but I'm just not feeling it. I think the issue is that while the weapons and magic fx and animations all look very nice you're still waggling around a fake VR sword in combat and none of it really feels particularly satisfying to me. I think it's partially the way the enemies react to getting hit, like most of the time it feels like you're fighting a ragdoll. Standing there holding someone's head and rubbing the sword back and forth on their neck trying to get it to count as a slice. I think there's something here but unlike H3VR the basic sandbox elements don't feel satisfying enough to spend a ton of time on so I'll definitely be coming back to this whenever they inject some game into that game.

Edit: Star Wars mod seems sick, hopefully that doesn't get a c&d because that could be worth it alone.

The trick is to follow the physics that are baked into the engine. If you waggle things around it feels like poo poo and will do nothing, but if you swing slower and steady to match the weight of the weapon you will see major effect. B&S is easily one of the most viscerally satisfying things I've played once I figured out the quirks.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I try to explain it as miming the actions. If waggling like you're using a wii remote physics based combat games tend to punish you for it. Same goes for Boneworks, Saints & Sinners etc.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 12, 2022

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Tried out the new B&S update since they updated the animation system.

The AI still doesn't know how to defend against a thrust, how to attack with a shield properly, or how to not horribly overextend on every single attack but it's still a MAJOR improvement over what they had before.
Hopefully they'll keep polishing it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9RgwuUVeYs

Hbo doing VR Chat...

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I feel like this is the first I’ve heard of that game. What even is it? It has strong no man’s sky vibes but I’m doubting that’s what it is

You haven't played Vertigo 1? It's a FPS clearly inspired by Half Life.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1318090/Vertigo_Remastered/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The kayak game, after several delays, is finally out
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1683340/Kayak_VR_Mirage/

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

You haven't played Vertigo 1? It's a FPS clearly inspired by Half Life.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1318090/Vertigo_Remastered/

I havent, and as someone who loves and adores half life, should I?

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Turin Turambar posted:

You can boop the penguins with your paddle.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I havent, and as someone who loves and adores half life, should I?

It isn't as good as Half Life, nor as polished nor as long... but yeah, you should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Turin Turambar posted:

Immediately loaded up the tropical ocean level.

First thought: gosh this is pretty
Second thought: oh no, they put ocean wave physics in a seated VR game

First time in over a year that I’ve had to stop playing VR because it was making me queasy