Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

MassiveSky posted:

Didn't even play that one through to the end. The game wouldn't let me kill Micah, and the shooting mechanics were just _so_ bad.

New vegas thoroughly spoiled me wrt making my own story by blowing away shitheads, no matter how central to the plot they were. It ruined skyrim for me.

you get to kill micah in the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Modern Bethesda musings:

First a blanket "the melee combat is absolute poo poo" which applies to all of the Elder Scrolls games.

Morrowind is the clear winner of the bunch, with the only major problem being how easy it is to abuse the mechanics(not everyone thinks this is a bad thing either). Oblivion's biggest problem was creature scaling, absolutely punishing in its vanilla form. I know a lot of people say the world was plain and boring but I thought it was beautiful and really enjoyed it. Skyrim's beautiful, and it's very large, but the dungeons are torturously linear and so many of them are related to quests that you basically have little incentive to just explore something you stumbled across because you'll be directed there by a quest at some point anyway.

Fallout 3 was fine but Fallout should have never left isometric perspective. VATS was stupid as poo poo. Washington DC was stupid as poo poo. I only played about an hour and a half of New Vegas before deciding I never wanted to play a Fallout game or Gamebryo game ever again. So no comment on it or 4.

AAA gaming is garbage and it probably always will be because there's too many people and too much money involved. Nobody will take risks, nobody will innovate, nobody will learn from past or current mistakes, and nobody will do something simple to shrink the cost like skip the voice acting.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

Hihohe posted:

you get to kill micah in the end

But I wanted to kill him way before that.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

I only played about an hour and a half of New Vegas before deciding I never wanted to play a Fallout game or Gamebryo game ever again.

Fallout new vegas was better than all the other fallout games combined, so you kind of missed out. The combat in the isometric fallout games was downright painful compared to jagged alliance 2.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
I played Anthem at launch. At first it feels like a pretty cool game; flying around is fun and the scenery looks nice. But after a few missions you realize it's just the same poo poo over and over again, even more so than most other games of this type. It's basically Destiny combat except with much less variety in terms of weapons, enemies, vehicles (there aren't any), etc. It's janky as hell, with random teleporting and skill hyperspam as the net code can't ever seem to keep up with what the players are doing. The RPG elements are pretty awful and mostly pointless. It does the same poo poo as Cyberpunk where the stats on weapons are often a complete lie, like you could swap your 40 damage gun for a 1500 damage gun and somehow do less damage, I poo poo you not. And no, it wasn't because of some kind of Dark Souls style deficient stat interaction or something, the items just operated on mostly hidden stats. There's a good chance they've corrected this since then, but man did that make for a frustrating experience at launce.

The game has only 1 town, which you can't enter/exit seamlessly. In town you're in 1st person mode and you (VERY) slowly walk around looking for NPCs to give you quests, then you go to your robot suit and load into the actual game. Might be worth it if you can get it for like $10 and you really enjoy flying/jumping around in a power suit, but otherwise stay away.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I mean it's free on gamepass and I don't think I need to even install it, but I decided I'm gonna play some Destiny 2 instead, because I have a gun that explodes people, and also I can punch the ground, so that's pretty rad.

I enjoyed Fallout 3, it was fine. I also like Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, and will honestly probably get way too much play out of Starfield or whatever the next Elder Scrolls is. It isn't high art, but art for when you're high, or something.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I wouldn't play another Elder Scrolls or Gamebryo Fallout game no matter how high I was. I still have standards :colbert:

I guess the exception would be, like, Fallout Frontier with all the gross content restored, because the unfiltered creation of a coalition of enthusiasts and perverts working together over the internet is actual outsider art.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jul 11, 2022

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Imagine defending isometric gameplay in tyool 2022.

Rutibex posted:

one game being better makes a difference. I replay new vegas every few years, I will never touch fallout 3 again. If new vegas didn't exist I might have replayed fallout 3 :shrug:

I replay both and it works because they both try different things. New Vegas isn’t just more or better Fallout 3 (though it is a better game). Fallout 3 is like an old syndicated tv show ala Columbo. You have fun short 30-60 minute adventures that are completely self contained and can be done in any order with no need to stress about how this affects the next episode.
New Vegas is all about building a single cohesive “entity” (The embryonic nation of the Mojave) and learning what makes it tick, how literally everyone’s and every communities actions affect all the others. And then deciding where and how your character is going to fit in to this jigsaw puzzle and how fitting yourself in changes the whole web of connections.

In short: Grug replay two game cuz Grug get two funs.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

galagazombie posted:

Imagine defending isometric gameplay in tyool 2022.

isometric is just a camera perspective though, it doesn't make gameplay good or bad :confused:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
im actually playing even more rogue legacy 2 (almost done with NG+4 :black101: ) and later itt im gonna get balls deep in some Cities Skylines

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

itry posted:

isometric is just a camera perspective though, it doesn't make gameplay good or bad :confused:

It totally sucks and makes games worse. Everything interacts with each other at awkward angles and controls are inherently unintuitive because reality does not exist at an awkward slant. It was a neat trick to make 2D look 3D in the 90’s and it should have been left there.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

galagazombie posted:

It totally sucks and makes games worse. Everything interacts with each other at awkward angles and controls are inherently unintuitive because reality does not exist at an awkward slant. It was a neat trick to make 2D look 3D in the 90’s and it should have been left there.

no that's not true

itry
Aug 23, 2019

galagazombie posted:

:yikes:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Search your feelings, you know it to be true. Isometric is a bother

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

galagazombie posted:

you what

itry
Aug 23, 2019

List of terrible terrible isometric games that would like totally be better if they were in first person: Hades, Transistor, Unpacking, Desperados 3, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, DOS2, Into the Breach...

Any tabletop game.

Edit: the work of art that is x86 assembly RollerCoaster Tycoon

itry fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 11, 2022

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

galagazombie posted:

It's nice that your opinion on this topic is so terrible, because otherwise it'd probably cause me to feel some cognitive dissonance if it didn't match up with your equally terrible adoration of Bethesda games

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
you can MAYBE say that Hades would be a little bit better if you could rotate the camera, but that would severely ruin the aesthetic and also took more work than it woud have been worth

isometric, more like iso love it :dance:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

precision posted:

you can MAYBE say that Hades would be a little bit better if you could rotate the camera, but that would severely ruin the aesthetic and also took more work than it woud have been worth

isometric, more like iso love it :dance:

The combat is so fast paced that I'm not sure how useful that would even be.
Edit: Also it'll still be isometric

Barudak
May 7, 2007

itry posted:

List of terrible terrible isometric games that would like totally be better if they were in first person: Hades, Transistor, Unpacking, Desperados 3, Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, DOS2, Into the Breach...

Any tabletop game.

A massive list with only one good game and no titles that wouldn't be improved by having access to non isometric camera views

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Barudak posted:

A massive list with only one good game and no titles that wouldn't be improved by having access to non isometric camera views

That's just off the top of my head without any old games (well except Rollecoaster Tycoon). But please explain how any of those would even work in first person or how they're bad as is.

Edit: Hey thread, what's your opinion on 2d? Or iso adjacent games like Frostpunk.

itry fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jul 11, 2022

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Q*bert could have been truly great if only it had a 1st person mode...

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

itry posted:

Any tabletop game.

Who said anything about first person? There are literally infinite possible camera angles to choose from that aren’t isometric.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

The worst parts of Baba Is You are the first person levels.

Edit:

galagazombie posted:

Who said anything about first person? There are literally infinite possible camera angles to choose from that aren’t isometric.

Sorry, we were talking about the new Fallouts versus the old Fallouts. Not sure about infinite. There's overhead, at an angle, following the PC, inside the PC, 2d... what else?

itry fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jul 11, 2022

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

The Moon Monster posted:

Are there any good FPSs with flying as a central mechanic? The basic concept of Anthem honestly sounded pretty cool.

I guess Warlocks and Titans in Destiny can sorta fly.

Not to beat a dead horse but uh....

MORROWIND

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Ace Combat is technically an FPS

Barudak
May 7, 2007

2d games are great, isometric is just 2d trying to do 3d visuals and failing so Ive never liked it. Its really only horrific, though, when its 4 way movement only.

Im most amused by some great "2d" games like symphony of the night actually rendered as a series of flat polygons overlaid on each other which is in part why it runs like poo poo on the Saturn.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Devils Affricate posted:

Ace Combat is technically an FPS

Descent?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

itry posted:

Any tabletop game.

all of these games would be better from gods own perspective, TOP DOWN

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Little Big Adventure and its sequel are true isometric royalty and should be games that are appreciated more.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Barudak posted:

Im most amused by some great "2d" games like symphony of the night actually rendered as a series of flat polygons overlaid on each other which is in part why it runs like poo poo on the Saturn.

isn't this basically how 2d games work in Unity?

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I think that's how you had to do it in Unity originally but they added normal 2d support a long time ago. This was a little before the entire company started rotting from the inside out though. Please don't expect any new features in the engine to do anything of anything correctly, or be fixed if they're broken, unless it involves scraping data from your players and feeding it to the company.

Seriously, I gravely regret using Unity now. Paid plugins that go dark. Paid plugins that receive some radical forced change that strips out all the useful parts and requires you to pay to use their service. And of course Unity has gone and done that themselves now, stripping out their crappy-but-functional netplay features only to replace them with ~unity's central server that is the responsibility of the individual game devs to pay by the hour for user time on~. But I had no way of knowing the developers would go the way they have at that time and I'm neck deep in the poo poo so I'll have to wait until next time to switch to Godot or whatever.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 11, 2022

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

The Moon Monster posted:

Are there any good FPSs with flying as a central mechanic? The basic concept of Anthem honestly sounded pretty cool.

I guess Warlocks and Titans in Destiny can sorta fly.

Following up with what Rubitex said, Overload is a modernized Descent and is 100% perfect in every way and is a total blast. If you even have a passing interest in the idea from playing a demo 25 years ago, it's worth looking into.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I like isometric because it's like playing with lil action figures

itry
Aug 23, 2019

veni veni veni posted:

I like isometric because it's like playing with lil action figures

:hmmyes:

Barudak posted:

Its really only horrific, though, when its 4 way movement only.

And keyboard only movement. I can agree with that.

Rutibex posted:

all of these games would be better from gods own perspective, TOP DOWN

But if the kingdom of god is within you, surely that would be first person perspective :v:

Fur20 posted:

I think that's how you had to do it in Unity originally but they added normal 2d support a long time ago. This was a little before the entire company started rotting from the inside out though. Please don't expect any new features in the engine to do anything of anything correctly, or be fixed if they're broken, unless it involves scraping data from your players and feeding it to the company.

Seriously, I gravely regret using Unity now. Paid plugins that go dark. Paid plugins that receive some radical forced change that strips out all the useful parts and requires you to pay to use their service. And of course Unity has gone and done that themselves now, stripping out their crappy-but-functional netplay features only to replace them with ~unity's central server that is the responsibility of the individual game devs to pay by the hour for user time on~. But I had no way of knowing the developers would go the way they have at that time and I'm neck deep in the poo poo so I'll have to wait until next time to switch to Godot or whatever.

Is it really that bad? I've been meaning to get into Unity for a while now :ohdear:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

galagazombie posted:

This is one of the most annoying of the standard bleating sheep opinions in online video game discourse. The majority of their modern output has been good to great in vanilla. Sure it’s nice to mod out the bugs/glitches, or give yourself more to do, but that’s true of literally every videogame. Does the existence of Super Mario Maker make Mario games bad?
Morrowind was 11/10, Oblivion was ok, Skyrim was great, you just have to accept it’s a different kind of game than Morrowind, Fallout 3 was great and New Vegas being better doesn’t change that, like Morrowind vs Skyrim they’re doing different things. They only started stumbling with Fallout 4.

Just lol at referencing Morrowind as part of "their modern output" as though that game isn't old enough to vote

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I guess the point can be made that all of their modern games are running on the same 25 year-old engine

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Morrowind was a technological marvel when it came out, but in terms of gameplay, pacing, balance, and presentation it was always pretty awful. Calling it an 11/10 game just makes me think a person is either desperately trying to oversell their point or they're mentally ill.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Devils Affricate posted:

Morrowind was a technological marvel when it came out, but in terms of gameplay, pacing, balance, and presentation it was always pretty awful. Calling it an 11/10 game just makes me think a person is either desperately trying to oversell their point or they're mentally ill.

I mean, if that mental illness is a crippling addiction to a 13/10 game then that seems p accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I tried morrowind for the first time a couple years ago, to see whether it lived up to the hype. I immediately shut it down and modded in faster walk speed, but still got bored and quit about a couple hours in. I'm sure it gets good at some point but I couldn't be assed to find out how long that takes.