Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

His Divine Shadow posted:

Whut, some wires must've gotten crossed there.

Looks like it! Apologies for the aggro, unless if you wanted it. Then uh, swish me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth
Dunno if it was about a percieved bias against rural communities/”holes”. Örkelljunga is a rural community with mostly very good honest salt of the earth kinda people, but also unusally accepting of racism. With 1/3 iirc voting for SD and the local social democrats having no problem talking to NMR (SD interestingly refuses). I’ve also heard coffee table talk at work akin to ”my friend, who’s pretty racist, moved to Örkelljunga from Helsingborg and he loves it there!”.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Fox Cunning posted:

Dunno if it was about a percieved bias against rural communities/”holes”. Örkelljunga is a rural community with mostly very good honest salt of the earth kinda people, but also unusally accepting of racism. With 1/3 iirc voting for SD and the local social democrats having no problem talking to NMR (SD interestingly refuses). I’ve also heard coffee table talk at work akin to ”my friend, who’s pretty racist, moved to Örkelljunga from Helsingborg and he loves it there!”.

My partner no poo poo sat me down last night to explain how insanely racist the southern Sweden is apparently, except he used Sjöbo as the example. Now I kind of get the weird tension between Skåne and…the rest of Sweden? Shame, cause it’s beautiful.

Fox Cunning
Jun 21, 2006

salt-induced orgasm in the mouth

teen witch posted:

My partner no poo poo sat me down last night to explain how insanely racist the southern Sweden is apparently, except he used Sjöbo as the example. Now I kind of get the weird tension between Skåne and…the rest of Sweden? Shame, cause it’s beautiful.

Having 0 experience being a person of colour I’d say the densely populated western part is significantly less racist than the more rural central part. I’d guess that Malmö is the least racist, and Lund keeps it under wraps since open racism is percieved as a lower class country bumpkin kinda thing. Around Sjöbo you no joke see confederate flags, which makes very little sense.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Fox Cunning posted:

Having 0 experience being a person of colour I’d say the densely populated western part is significantly less racist than the more rural central part. I’d guess that Malmö is the least racist, and Lund keeps it under wraps since open racism is percieved as a lower class country bumpkin kinda thing. Around Sjöbo you no joke see confederate flags, which makes very little sense.

Yeah Skåne is a very divided area, with many of the cities being far more multi-cultural than most places in Europe or America while the countryside being very.... countryside. Imagine one of the most famously diverse cities, like New York. 40% of New Yorkers are born abroad, while about 1/3 of Malmö inhabitants are. Almost 1/5 of Lund are born abroad. If you expand it to inhabitants with one or more foreign born parents, you have half of Malmö. It's incredibly diverse.

Meanwhile you have famously racist suburban/rural places like Sjöbo, Hörby etc. Add to that a sometimes imagined and sometimes fact-based suspicion against wether the national government is doing what's best for your region, and you get the worst sides of an insular us/them culture. You'll constantly seeing people here posting on Facebook about being afraid to even enter Malmö, which is hilarious but speak of a deep seated fear and a divided region.

fnox
May 19, 2013

lilljonas posted:

Yeah Skåne is a very divided area, with many of the cities being far more multi-cultural than most places in Europe or America while the countryside being very.... countryside. Imagine one of the most famously diverse cities, like New York. 40% of New Yorkers are born abroad, while about 1/3 of Malmö inhabitants are. Almost 1/5 of Lund are born abroad. If you expand it to inhabitants with one or more foreign born parents, you have half of Malmö. It's incredibly diverse.

Meanwhile you have famously racist suburban/rural places like Sjöbo, Hörby etc. Add to that a sometimes imagined and sometimes fact-based suspicion against wether the national government is doing what's best for your region, and you get the worst sides of an insular us/them culture. You'll constantly seeing people here posting on Facebook about being afraid to even enter Malmö, which is hilarious but speak of a deep seated fear and a divided region.

I used to live farther east in Skåne and I remember being warned about getting stabbed or mugged in Malmö when I told people I was moving away. I should've perhaps taken the hint when they started describing me as being one of the good immigrants...

But yeah Malmö is the exact polar opposite of a lot of those places. Probably the most transparently diverse place I've ever seen, with tons of different cultures represented. Pretty good place to be an immigrant, to be honest.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I worked with a Swedish guy who felt that the Swedish military needs to "recapture" Malmö, and who was afraid to walk through Grønland and Tøyen because he thought he would be stabbed. He was a bit of an edgelord, but he was also truly scared. Just a complete lack of perspective.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

thotsky posted:

I worked with a Swedish guy who felt that the Swedish military needs to "recapture" Malmö, and who was afraid to walk through Grønland and Tøyen because he thought he would be stabbed. He was a bit of an edgelord, but he was also truly scared. Just a complete lack of perspective.

https://twitter.com/eivindtraedal/status/1012997222902923264

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

teen witch posted:

Sjöbo was the place for an infamous referendum regarding immigrants in the 80s or 90s, where the party advocating the stop was C.
Considering where C stands today, I would say your partner is hilariously out of date in his prejudices.

lilljonas posted:

Lund is a university town with all that entails. The foreign born in Lund often have very highly educated parents, while the same is not true for Malmö. Education is a factor here, where people with similar higher education level have more in common, since they are all middle class.
One should also note that most young people in Skåne goes to gymnasium or universities in Malmö/Lund/Helsingborg/trelleborg/kristianstad so it is hardly like they don’t get exposed to whatever multiculture is. And it has been like this for the last 30 years. Gangs of first/second generation teenagers robbing others was already a thing in the 90s in Malmö.

One should also say that Skåne is much less geographically separated in terms of immigrant rich areas due to the flat geography. Especially when compared to Stockholm/Gothenburg where those areas are typically far away from the city center. In Malmö for example, you have areas like Hyllie and Kroksbäck as neighbouring areas.

Also you are more likely to integrate well in Sweden if you move to a smaller town, since you are more or less forced to adapt in certain ways if you want to fit in and learn the language. Swedes in general are not racists.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I grew up where they established their ” HQ” and were they frequently have marches and meetings. Love visiting that place and running into NMR people when visiting the place. The attitude is basically ”Come on, dont think about that now, he is a nice guy!”

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

von Braun posted:

Why are they not marked as a terrorist l
organization? and wiped out

Stabbing one person makes you a terrorist?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I grew up in Hörby and at the time I think there was one immigrant family in the entire town. At the time I knew all of two people who weren't lily white. It's very insular and I'm not the least surprised it's one of the places where SD gets the most votes. I escaped in the late 90s and haven't looked back.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

I remember walking through Mjølnerparken with my rural boomer father in law. We were living right next to it, so we didn't really think anything of it, but he was legit scared for his life (which he expressed rather aggressively). It was the same uneventful walk, with the same locals (I guess, I didn't notice them really), but his perception of it was completely different from mine.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

BonHair posted:

I remember walking through Mjølnerparken with my rural boner

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
I keep laughing at some of my family being scared of taking the blue metro line to visit me... on Kungsholmen in Stockholm. And they live on Södermalm. I guess they would die of shock in Malmö or something.

Keep taking the bus instead then schmucks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

I always laughed at these videos because all these "no go zones" look nicer and safer than million-dollar neighborhoods in California.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

In case it wasn't obvious, that's a Greens politician (and his wife next to him) and he's being extremely sarcastic

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TheRat posted:

In case it wasn't obvious, that's a Greens politician (and his wife next to him) and he's being extremely sarcastic

I was talking about the ones done by the actual racist clowns that he's replying to.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

now I'm reminded of that american shitstain who was doing a "documentary" about Mullah Krekar and pretended to be scared shitless of the neighbourhood around Kolstadgata/Jens Bjelkes gate

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Not to pretend like there aren't huge problems with areas like Rosengård/Seved/etc. in Malmö, but it makes me laugh when American right-wingers speak of it like some sort of mad max hellscape and go there to film wearing riot gear. Back when I was living closer to the city centre I'd go roller skating through Rosengård all summer long and somehow I'm alive to tell the tale? Weird

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀

lol

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
There aint no more hardcore hellhole on this planet earth more dangerous to man than

*checks notes*

a scandinavian city :psyduck:

You could probably go to just about any American city and it'd be far more dangerous.

fnox
May 19, 2013

Collapsing Farts posted:

There aint no more hardcore hellhole on this planet earth more dangerous to man than

*checks notes*

a scandinavian city :psyduck:

You could probably go to just about any American city and it'd be far more dangerous.

Wasn't terribly long ago when Paul Joseph Watson visited Malmö and described it as a warzone. Tim Pool also showed up not much later and said it's "not much worse than Chicago", of course despite Malmö having the same amount of murders in a year that Chicago has in a day.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I’ve seen far worse in American suburbs than I have in any goddamn Scandinavian city.

I say that a someone who had someone killed in front of their apartment recently.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

teen witch posted:

I say that a someone who had someone killed in front of their apartment recently.

Didn't want your own hands dirty, eh?

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

THE BAR posted:

Didn't want your own hands dirty, eh?

they know what they did by standing on the corner of a street at 3 in the afternoon

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

MassiveSky posted:

Stabbing one person makes you a terrorist?

They are mesnt to be NMR if you didn’t catch that, and yes

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

e:nm

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The best thing about that petersweden thing was that he talked about how scary it was to hear the muslim call to prayer, even though mosques in Norway have never called to prayer.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Alhazred posted:

The best thing about that petersweden thing was that he talked about how scary it was to hear the muslim call to prayer, even though mosques in Norway have never called to prayer.

*hears ice cream wagon*

we live in a sharia caliphate!

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Also, Katie Hopkins saying how Oslo east is devoid of white people while a white woman is jogging behind her.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Also, Katie Hopkins saying how Oslo east is devoid of white people

Don't threaten me with a good time.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Alhazred posted:

Also, Katie Hopkins saying how Oslo east is devoid of white people while a white woman is jogging behind her.

Is it the Finnish part of town?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The real no-go zones in Stockholm are Stureplan and Medborgarplatsen on Friday and Saturday nights.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Collateral Damage posted:

The real no-go zones in Stockholm are Stureplan and Medborgarplatsen on Friday and Saturday nights.

I don't know either of those places, but I assume drunk teenagers?

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Teenagers and adults. Stureplan for upper-class twits and coke fiends, Medborgarplatsen for middle-class leftist and alcoholics

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010
The götgatan/folkungagatan intersection was called boxarkrysset for a reason. Used to literally be fights or some light stabbing there every night the saying goes. McDonalds next door is a real poo poo magnet at night.

I think the police are just parked in the area 24/7 these days because drugs if nothing else.

Threadkiller Dog fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jul 10, 2022

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Threadkiller Dog posted:

The götgatan/folkungagatan intersection was called boxarkrysset for a reason. Used to literally be fights or some light stabbing there every night the saying goes. McDonalds next door is a real poo poo magnet at night.

I think the police are just parked in the area 24/7 these days because drugs if nothing else.

there are police vans on medis all the time pretty much

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Collateral Damage posted:

Just in case anyone would write this off as a joke: Stureplan is legitimately the most dangerous place in all of Stockholm county, in terms of violent crime. This map is police reports per km2 which is a bit misleading, but still, there's way more violent crime there than anywhere else:

The ~discourse~ around crime tends to kinda skip over the fact that every single weekend essentially all police and most emergency room resources are occupied with taking care of what too much alcohol does to the average Mr. Svensson.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

TheFluff posted:

Just in case anyone would write this off as a joke: Stureplan is legitimately the most dangerous place in all of Stockholm county, in terms of violent crime. This map is police reports per km2 which is a bit misleading, but still, there's way more violent crime there than anywhere else:

The ~discourse~ around crime tends to kinda skip over the fact that every single weekend essentially all police and most emergency room resources are occupied with taking care of what too much alcohol does to the average Mr. Svensson.

:byodood:The real problem is obviously immigration and Islam.

E: i want that map but for white collar crime.

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jul 11, 2022