Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You can achieve all of those yourself right now with a modicum of effort

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Gaius Marius posted:

You can achieve all of those yourself right now with a modicum of effort

Well, 2 out of 3. Knowing where your food comes from would be highly complex and difficult.

1 out of 3 if your social skills are as bad as mine.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
one of my neighbors has two cars painted with flat earth & anti-semitic messages and his house is covered in the same messaging. nearest grocery store is locally known as the "murder/rat" kroger. my food comes the suffering of the earth and those that live on it.

Not all modicums of effort are worth making.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Pretty much. Yanking a fish out of the fish pond doesn't incur the minigame either, so it's at least braindead. Still, you have to get the fish in there first, somehow. Dunno how you do that without gaining fishing XP.

According to the wiki, however, pulling out the additional items fish ponds generate (like roe and whatever) DOES increase your Fishing skill, so watch out. I guess you can wait for the fish to reproduce, then yank a fish out with a fishing rod to sell or whatever.

I was going to buy a fish to start the pond. Income is hard to come by in this challenge for some reason. :downs:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Saint Freak posted:

Emily is ~25

and Clint is ~40

And he will ask you for advice in how to hit on your wife, then attempt to ask them out in front of you if you're dating/married to Emily.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Clint takes a lot of poo poo, but I've been married to Maru for a couple of years now and Dr. Harvey still keeps asking me if I think she wants him to rub sunscreen on her shoulders.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

Maru – 18

Harvey - 34

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Neddy Seagoon posted:

And he will ask you for advice in how to hit on your wife, then attempt to ask them out in front of you if you're dating/married to Emily.

I'm pretty sure the asking-Emily-out event was changed a few versions ago to not fire if you already have 8+ hearts with Emily.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Julet Esqu posted:

Clint takes a lot of poo poo, but I've been married to Maru for a couple of years now and Dr. Harvey still keeps asking me if I think she wants him to rub sunscreen on her shoulders.

Harvey needs to quit creeping on his employee regardless, but that's funnier there's no conditional for it

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eric the Mauve posted:

I'm pretty sure the asking-Emily-out event was changed a few versions ago to not fire if you already have 8+ hearts with Emily.

Asking her out, yes. ATTEMPTING to ask her out, no, that event in the Stardrop Saloon still happens.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Why are you sleeping in my field on planting day, you stupid duck!? Now my Cranberries will come in slightly uneven. Had I the option, it'd be a roast duck in the produce bin before morning! :argh:

It's partly my fault for not fixing the broken fence to their pen, but still! :colbert:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Jul 10, 2022

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Silly quote button, you are not edit!

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Jul 10, 2022

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Had I the option, it'd be a roast duck in the produce bin before morning! :argh:

I think at one point this would've been an option before CA decided to axe it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Should've sickled it instead

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Just destroy your cranberry fields and replant them.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

I'm back in. Goal this game is to have a full deluxe coop/barn for every type of animal, including colors of chickens.

Spring 2 year 2 (to allow for a day of cleaning up the winter nonsense). So far it's going really well, this feels like the furthest I've advanced a farm in just a year. Community center was done on winter 1 and I've fixed up Willy's boat but I still haven't set foot on the island. Seems like a year 2 thing anyway.

Animal counts:
White chicken: 3
Brown chicken: 3
Blue chicken: 0 (Shane is at ten hearts, just need a rainy day to advance his events and also get a mermaid pendant)
Void chicken: 12
Gold chicken: lol
Rabbit: 4
Duck: 4
Dinosaur: 5

White cow: 2
Brown cow: 2
Goat: 4
Sheep: 4
Pig: 5
Ostrich: 0

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

:crossarms:

What the hell is Elliot doing with squid ink? Everyone else is neutral to it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I don't know, what does the writer do with ink?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

:guinness: ?

I once got a job to kill some "squid kids". I've no idea how you're supposed to figure out or intuitively know what a squid kid is. Nothing in the mines looks like a squid and the word "kid" kinda implies I'm killing their young. So confusing.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Poil posted:

:guinness: ?

I once got a job to kill some "squid kids". I've no idea how you're supposed to figure out or intuitively know what a squid kid is. Nothing in the mines looks like a squid and the word "kid" kinda implies I'm killing their young. So confusing.

Ever see a floating orb with like a human face that spits fire?

That is somehow a squid kid. I only figured it out when one dropped ink.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Hellioning posted:

I don't know, what does the writer do with ink?

Lol, I’ve never romanced him so I didn’t know. That makes sense.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Cartoon Man posted:

I’m sure it’s obvious to many, but I just discovered a good tip for a new game in Spring 1. When Salmonberry season hits, gather up over a hundred of them since they’re everywhere and use that stack to replenish energy on demand till you get your cheese production going. 5-6 can almost fill your bar completely.

this does deserve emphasizing. 1st year berry foraging isn't for easy cash; it's to have energy-replenishing food and to always have something you can shove into the jam and wine pots/kegs.

See also, sashimi's not just a food most villagers like, but also healing/energy resto you can make from non-crabs in your crab pots.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Can't for the life of me understand why Lewis didn't like my Grange Display this year. He loved last year's and gave me first place after all, but something about this year's really seemed to upset him.

Marnie seemed to like the special purple lettuce I used as the centerpiece, so it can't have been that. Maybe he was just jealous of the Prismatic Shard, or allergic to the Iridium-quality Duck Feather? :confused:

Certainly went better than the Luau, I'll give it that much. The Governor sure didn't like the soup, must be a picky eater or something...

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Can't for the life of me understand why Lewis didn't like my Grange Display this year. He loved last year's and gave me first place after all, but something about this year's really seemed to upset him.

Marnie seemed to like the special purple lettuce I used as the centerpiece, so it can't have been that. Maybe he was just jealous of the Prismatic Shard, or allergic to the Iridium-quality Duck Feather? :confused:

Certainly went better than the Luau, I'll give it that much. The Governor sure didn't like the soup, must be a picky eater or something...

If you can time it right, you can put the mayor’s purple shorts out for your grange display before you turn in the quest.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

The mayor's purple shorts are for putting in the Luau stew, silly.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cartoon Man posted:

If you can time it right, you can put the mayor’s purple shorts out for your grange display before you turn in the quest.

Why would I ever give up my favourite means of tormenting Lewis? :confused:

He knows what he did.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
the real pro move is to tailor the shorts and wear them yourself

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Pththya-lyi posted:

the real pro move is to tailor the shorts and wear them yourself

NFL SuperPro Move: If you've lost/returned/eaten the shorts, but want them back, take a single staircase and try to wear them as pants. They'll turn into the Mayor's shorts.

I say "Take a single staricase", because if you do this with a stack of staircases, it will turn the entire stack into a single pair of shorts.

maltesh fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jul 11, 2022

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

maltesh posted:

NFL SuperPro Move: If you've lost/returned/eaten the shorts, but want them back, take a single staircase and try to wear them as pants. They'll turn into the Mayor's shorts.

I say "Take a single staricase", because if you do this with a stack of staircases, it will turn the entire stack into a single pair of shorts.

Now you are the mayor of Pelican Town

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You can give the purple shorts gold trim and wear them.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pththya-lyi posted:

Now you are the mayor of Pelican Town

Zesty posted:

You can give the purple shorts gold trim and wear them.

drat, it would've been a real power move to wear them at my wedding. Oh well.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Anybody know any good dialogue mods available on Nexus? Especially for the romanceable characters. I trust you all's tastes

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

Anybody know any good dialogue mods available on Nexus? Especially for the romanceable characters. I trust you all's tastes

I've been using the following:
canon friendly dialogue expansion: https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/2544 -havent noticed anything weird or out of place or anyone out of character.

Life cycle: https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/6200 - the romancables you don't go after will pair up. Dialogue and storylines seem to fit the original. Even if you don't want them pairing up, there's a Lewis/Marnie go public option that's fun.

Rythian
Dec 31, 2007

You take what comes, and the rest is void.

Aside from those two, which I recommend as well, check out

https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/9972?tab=description for more general dialogue stuff

and https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/2612 for festival dialogue that updates and changes across multiple years.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

pseudodragon posted:

I've been using the following:
canon friendly dialogue expansion: https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/2544 -havent noticed anything weird or out of place or anyone out of character.

Life cycle: https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/6200 - the romancables you don't go after will pair up. Dialogue and storylines seem to fit the original. Even if you don't want them pairing up, there's a Lewis/Marnie go public option that's fun.

Rythian posted:

Aside from those two, which I recommend as well, check out

https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/9972?tab=description for more general dialogue stuff

and https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/2612 for festival dialogue that updates and changes across multiple years.

Thanx

I made an outfit for the Flower Dance, and I tried to take screenshots but I only figured out it didn't work *after* the in-game day was over. So you'll just have to imagine a sprite in a white dress

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jul 13, 2022

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Rune Factory 5 just released on Steam. Any Stardew thread thoughts on the game?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Make a thread

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

pseudodragon posted:

Kind of an odd choice to write routes for all of the singles' original pairings... plus Haley with Leah. I don't think either of them even comments on the other existing in the base game.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Cartoon Man posted:

Rune Factory 5 just released on Steam. Any Stardew thread thoughts on the game?

I preordered it because Rune Factory 4 was that good. Haven't had a chance to play it yet.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Zesty posted:

Make a thread

for anyone curious about rf5, theres a rf/hm/sos thread too in case people wanna ask qs https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3956346
i really liked 4S but i haven't had the chance to play 5 yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

Kind of an odd choice to write routes for all of the singles' original pairings... plus Haley with Leah. I don't think either of them even comments on the other existing in the base game.

They bond over their art. Leah being the one discovering and encouraging Haley in her photography makes more sense than the player doing it...