Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
There is a Rivian distribution/service center near my work so I've been seeing them almost daily for a couple months now, I really like the way they look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Saw a Rivian R1T on the road today. That’s a one goofy looking truck.

It looks awesome at night.

SchrodingersCat posted:

Death cult rushing to destroy the world.

Today was the second day I got open, bizarre and incomprehensible, hostility from a boomer for driving an EV.

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

raggedphoto posted:

There is a Rivian distribution/service center near my work so I've been seeing them almost daily for a couple months now, I really like the way they look.

I’ve seen a few around my ‘hood and the green one looks just right. The only thing I don’t like is the rear turn signals which are just tiny.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The electric Hummer looks p cool. It's ridiculously large, of course, which makes it a no-go for :scotland:, but if I was in America...

Mahatma-Squid
Nov 22, 2004

One of the last true gentlemen left alive . ';,,,,,,,,;'

Why's Bill such a loving dick? Someone really needs to teach that rear end in a top hat a lesson.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Free chargers tend to be level 2, so assuming 1 hour of charge you're charitably looking at around 9 kWh. The equivalent is 1/4 of a gallon gas.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem

Elviscat posted:

Today was the second day I got open, bizarre and incomprehensible, hostility from a boomer for driving an EV.

Can you explain? When I use the bolt I don’t think people even know, but I do plan on getting a Silverado which will be more obvious. unless I rebadge it as an avalanche

What kind of negative behaviors have people here had?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Lord Decimus Barnacle posted:

Can you explain? When I use the bolt I don’t think people even know, but I do plan on getting a Silverado which will be more obvious. unless I rebadge it as an avalanche

What kind of negative behaviors have people here had?

Really weird poo poo, and I'm making an assumption it's EV related, because I wasn't doing anything to draw any aggression. One was an old dude yelling "that car come with depends and maxi pads?" At me while I got something out of my car, the other was an old lady screaming and flipping me off while I crept by her and her dog at 15MPH on a residential street. That 2nd one might just be mental illness though.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Elviscat posted:

Really weird poo poo, and I'm making an assumption it's EV related, because I wasn't doing anything to draw any aggression. One was an old dude yelling "that car come with depends and maxi pads?" At me while I got something out of my car, the other was an old lady screaming and flipping me off while I crept by her and her dog at 15MPH on a residential street. That 2nd one might just be mental illness though.

Gotta be honest, with my mindset the last few years some old boomer yelling at me in the street would escalate quickly.

Edit: vbulletin is hard.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
Did my first long-ish (over 100mi) trip in the MME.

- Free weekend on EA chargers? Idk, either way, plug and charge was flawless and it juiced up without a care in the world. Had a nice smoothie while I waited.
- BlueCruise worked very well! For some reason it turned off when it encountered toll scanners, but other than that it handled the entirety of the thruway without a problem.
- It’s still remarkable how pleasant an EV is on a road trip; the ride is smooth and comfortable, the miles fly by.

Bonus: Icebox frunk.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

kitten emergency posted:

Where's the shrimp?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
presentation of frunk, score: 1/10

notes: no skrimps

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

Zero One posted:

Where's the shrimp?

I will say that if you’re going to do frunk shrimp, ensure that you place the ice and shrimp in only after parking. i chewed through 20lbs of ice in about two hours, but once I stopped driving (and threw another 20lbs of ice in or so) it didn’t melt as fast. not sure how to explain the difference in ice performance?

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

I guess if you’re doing hot shrimp then you can maybe just drive around for a while to heat them up…? Maybe I should throw my aranet4 in there when it’s empty and see if it gets warmer while driving

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

kitten emergency posted:

- Free weekend on EA chargers? Idk, either way, plug and charge was flawless and it juiced up without a care in the world. Had a nice smoothie while I waited.
- BlueCruise worked very well! For some reason it turned off when it encountered toll scanners, but other than that it handled the entirety of the thruway without a problem.
- It’s still remarkable how pleasant an EV is on a road trip; the ride is smooth and comfortable, the miles fly by.

Me, standing outside of a frunk as it's opening: "I'd better be about to see some motherfucking cocktail sauce in there"

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Finally was able to get my order in for a 2023 Bolt EV 2LT. :toot:

It'll probably be late October by the time I get it :(

Eyes Only
May 20, 2008

Do not attempt to adjust your set.

kitten emergency posted:

not sure how to explain the difference in ice performance?

The ice is essential in cooling the MME battery, clearly this is in the manual somewhere.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Eyes Only posted:

The ice is essential in cooling the MME battery, clearly this is in the manual somewhere.

What does it trap with a frunk full of ice?

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo
A tree just fell on my jeep and crushed the hood and a bit of the engine. So it appears I now need a new vehicle. I wanted the Rivian, but now I cant wait a year.

Are there any EVs that can transport a family of 4 and a dog that are 110k or less, and available to obtain within a few weeks? Everything seems to be on backorder forever and marked up a ton.

I do not care about brand or anything besides range of at least 200 miles and as good of safety as I can get for the kids. It can be purple and striped, I do not care.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Used Taycan Cross Turismo 4

eg:
https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=649485614

Looking at actual used ones they are a bit over budget but you should still have a look.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Jul 10, 2022

Cinrac
Feb 22, 2004

bad boys for life posted:

A tree just fell on my jeep and crushed the hood and a bit of the engine. So it appears I now need a new vehicle. I wanted the Rivian, but now I cant wait a year.

Are there any EVs that can transport a family of 4 and a dog that are 110k or less, and available to obtain within a few weeks? Everything seems to be on backorder forever and marked up a ton.

I do not care about brand or anything besides range of at least 200 miles and as good of safety as I can get for the kids. It can be purple and striped, I do not care.

Polestar. They are available if you chose one of the pre-built configurations. Depends on how big the dog is though.

bad boys for life
Jun 6, 2003

by sebmojo

Cinrac posted:

Polestar. They are available if you chose one of the pre-built configurations. Depends on how big the dog is though.

Newfoundland, so ~105 lbs. Will check them out, looks like there is a dealer in Charlotte.

Also thanks Knox, will look at the porsche, didnt realize they made anything but super fast sports cars.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.

Newfoundland, so ~105 lbs. Will check them out, looks like there is a dealer in Charlotte.

Also thanks Knox, will look at the porsche, didnt realize they made anything but super fast sports cars.

Sup fellow Newfie owner and family of four haver. Definitely let me know what you end up with. I was looking at used Model X 6 seaters since there's plenty of floor space for our big doofus, but I just didn't like it.

I test drive an iX yesterday and it was...fine. Definitely didn't feel worth 85k base as the starting MSRP

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Get a used Town & Country to drive while you're waiting for the Rivian you actually want.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kitten emergency posted:

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

P*2 Will be a snug fit with everyone and the dog in there. The dog definitely won't be able to stand up and move around much in the back, but it could work.

Let us know what you think!

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
Hmm peugeot gifted me a 300€ discount code for their webshop(which is already heavily discounted), the e208 fits most of my requirements(beside awd). I might give it a spin, any goons have some weird gremlin to share on this car or is it too european?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
We don’t get those in North America but that looks like a pretty neat little inexpensive EV! Decent charging speed on DCFC too.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

kitten emergency posted:

CAT INTERCEPTOR, close the thread, it's served its purpose.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

ev thread mk 4 - my wife was murdered by an icebox frunk

Escape Goat
Jan 30, 2009

Im moving out of downtown Vancouver and will need to have a car again. Im very keen on the idea of a suv/crossover PHEV and my options are looking like Ford Escape, Hyundai Santa Fe, and Toyota rav4 prime in Canada.

I don’t know poo poo about cars but any suggestions for making a choice here? Ones to avoid? Or something else that should be on my radar?

Also if I decide to buy one today, how long would I be waiting for it?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Escape Goat posted:

Im moving out of downtown Vancouver and will need to have a car again. Im very keen on the idea of a suv/crossover PHEV and my options are looking like Ford Escape, Hyundai Santa Fe, and Toyota rav4 prime in Canada.

I don’t know poo poo about cars but any suggestions for making a choice here? Ones to avoid? Or something else that should be on my radar?

I don't know about the size, but the kia Niro just got a refresh for this year and looks pretty snazzy, comes in hybrid, PHEV, and BEV

Kreez
Oct 18, 2003

Escape Goat posted:

It's been a few months since I've called around, but the market for EVs in general in Vancouver is still super hosed and way tighter than in the US going by what I read in this thread anyway. 3+ year waits on anything worth buying, people reselling Ioniq 5's for 2x MSRP, etc.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy

SlowBloke posted:

Hmm peugeot gifted me a 300€ discount code for their webshop(which is already heavily discounted), the e208 fits most of my requirements(beside awd). I might give it a spin, any goons have some weird gremlin to share on this car or is it too european?

Friend of mine had the Corsa e which is the same car with different bits bolted on and was very happy with it. Well until someone rear-ended him so hard that it was totaled but you can't fault the car for that!

Never heard any complains otherwise from him!

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004

SlowBloke posted:

We get a family of 4 and a large collie comfortably in our Niro, but we have to fit the roof box if we're taking any amount of luggage with us, and that hits the range pretty hard. I imagine luggage requirements will go down as the children get older but right now it's only for commuting and day trips. The Niro is quite a bit bigger than the 208.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Availability is going to be your biggest problem. I think the Audi e-tron (the OG one that’s just called e-tron) could fit the bill and you might find a used one without too much difficulty as well.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Yeep posted:

We get a family of 4 and a large collie comfortably in our Niro, but we have to fit the roof box if we're taking any amount of luggage with us, and that hits the range pretty hard. I imagine luggage requirements will go down as the children get older but right now it's only for commuting and day trips. The Niro is quite a bit bigger than the 208.

I’m a goon so I only need to carry myself and my work bag. My current car is a 2006 Suzuki Swift which has fuckall for storage and I’m not having trouble with that. As it is bookies are showing better chances for good honest politicians getting voted and the world going carbon negative than me getting laid and having kids so no need for huge hulking cars. I had a reservation on a launch model Ioniq5 which I cancelled the moment I saw it in flesh, I don’t need so much passenger and cargo space to warrant driving a car almost as big as a base model transit.

Shai-Hulud posted:

Friend of mine had the Corsa e which is the same car with different bits bolted on and was very happy with it. Well until someone rear-ended him so hard that it was totaled but you can't fault the car for that!

Never heard any complains otherwise from him!

Well the fact that the car was totaled but your friend could talk about it is a good indicator of passenger safety, good to know :)

SlowBloke fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jul 11, 2022

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

SlowBloke posted:

Well the fact that the car was totaled but your friend could talk about it is a good indicator of passenger safety, good to know :)

It takes hardly anything to total a car these days. Just means repair cost is more than the value of the car.

e: to expound a bit, the way cars are put together now, relatively minor damage could wind up totalling it. If, for instance, it takes 20 hours of labor to replace the headlight, and an additional 40 hours to replace the quarter panel and repaint it, that could easily wind up totalling the whole car, from a 5mph collision in a parking lot.

cruft fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 11, 2022

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Especially with all the sensors lurking behind body panels. Tap a rear bumper corner and beyond a bit of paint damage you may have smashed a nearly thousand dollar radar unit. LED headlight units also can be eye-wateringly expensive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
car totals are way, way down right now due to the cost of replacement cars. rule of thumb is about 80-85% of replacement value but that's being driven upwards, plus replacement values are way up so you can buy a bunch more parts and labor before you total the car. part prices are more of a driver than labor; labor rates have essentially held constant for decades for paint and body.

sensors are pricey but they also contribute to the overall value of the car and they are becoming available on the used market usually what happens is that you have significant frame damage that's not really visible with the naked eye, and the airbags blow. people think "oh it doesn't look so bad" but it actually is significant. modern cars are tough and do a great job keeping a lot of the vehicle intact while being functionally not possible/not economical to repair.