Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Kingtheninja posted:

Anyone have good tips for getting rid of bottles? Our 12mo switched to whole milk no problem, but will absolutely refuse the milk in anything but a bottle. Water is fine in a normal cup or a cup with a straw, but that's it. Even if we hide the milk in a covered cup, the second he drinks it and realizes our trick, he just spits it out.

I used Avent bottles and switched the nipple to a sippy cup kind from an Avent sippy cup to help transition her. She never had any issues drinking milk out of other cups though and took to straw cups really well.

At nearly 21 months I still can’t give her an open cup cause she’ll spill it all over herself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Nessa posted:

Oh, we had her in some layers. A long sleeve bodysuit with cable knit tights, thick socks and then fleece two-piece footie pajamas on top. I tried to put a hat on her, but she kept pulling it off.

We probably won’t go “camping” again until the next reunion in 3 years where she’ll be 4, and hopefully better able to handle tent sleeping. I would really like to maybe get a tent trailer for the future though.

Yeah for real. 6 degrees is also pretty seriously cold.

And tent trailers/RVs seem like the way to go for a lot of people for camping with kids.

Our solution has been to get really good hybrid foam/inflatable mattress pads -- we ended up going with the MEC Reactor 10 double, but there are a few other brands doing comparable mats. It rolls up pretty compactly, but when inflated feels just like sleeping on a real sprung mattress. It's also way better insulated than a standard air mattress or foamy. We ended up getting two so we could sleep and give the kid lots of room to roll around. We put a big king-sized fleece blanket on as a "sheet", and used an unzipped queen-size sleeping bag as a duvet. We were pretty cosy on our last trip, despite the temperature dropping to 8 degrees.

Arkanomen posted:

We've been finding that the kid almost has like two energy bars, one for the day and one for a couple of days. The day one follows the usual pattern where it's wake up, awake 13 hours then sleep 11, but now that we are doing more summer activities and trips were finding that if we do two days of back to back activities(even if it's just 30 min swim class) the third day is going to be a "trouble day" of less than great behavior. If we take that thrid day as an off-day of lazing around and movies it seems to help.

Lol yeah we've been finding this out the hard way, too. Gotta figure out a way to work in more down time for the kid in our vacations moving forward.

Also, some storytime fun anecdotes:

Partner, reading I love you, Stinky Face: "... and I couldn’t ever leave the swamp or I would die."
Kiddo: "Die! Die! Die! Hahahaha! Die! Die!"

Me, reading Oh the places you'll go, and getting to the page about being alone.
Kiddo: [Points to one of the black blob monsters with the scary eyes] "Da one!"
Me: "That's a strange, scary thing you'll meet when you're alone."
Kiddo: [Smiles, reaches hand out over the blob creature, and waves.] "Hi! Hi! Hi!"

Silent Linguist
Jun 10, 2009

Nessa posted:

At nearly 21 months I still can’t give her an open cup cause she’ll spill it all over herself.

LOL same, he’s perfectly capable of drinking from an open cup but he’d rather dump it all over his tray and splash in it. That’s why we only give him water that way.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah for real. 6 degrees is also pretty seriously cold.

And tent trailers/RVs seem like the way to go for a lot of people for camping with kids.

Our solution has been to get really good hybrid foam/inflatable mattress pads -- we ended up going with the MEC Reactor 10 double, but there are a few other brands doing comparable mats. It rolls up pretty compactly, but when inflated feels just like sleeping on a real sprung mattress. It's also way better insulated than a standard air mattress or foamy. We ended up getting two so we could sleep and give the kid lots of room to roll around. We put a big king-sized fleece blanket on as a "sheet", and used an unzipped queen-size sleeping bag as a duvet. We were pretty cosy on our last trip, despite the temperature dropping to 8 degrees.

I had planned to rent an RV for the weekend that offered delivery and pickup so we wouldn’t have to drag it around, but the owner had to suddenly be out of town and cancelled on me less than 3 weeks before the trip. There was nothing else available that worked for us at that point because of the holiday weekend.

We had kiddo in her pack n play with a thick crocheted blanket on a foam mattress and a blackout cover. I had to get a rooftop cargo carrier to pack all the things we’d need for 3 adults and a toddler camping for 2 nights. Unfortunately, we didn’t take the cargo carrier off when we went into town and the buckles all got broken beyond repair. Fortunately, some relatives with a truck were able to bring the rest of our stuff to us yesterday. I think my husband just threw out the carrier or left it behind.

I did really like our tent though. I found a 13 person tent on Facebook marketplace for 100 bucks. Screen room and main room with 2 partitions to create 3 rooms. My mom had her stuff in one partition, we had our mattress in the middle and put the pack n play in the alcove for the other partition. It was really nice when baby just wanted to go hang out in her pack n play and look at her books for a while. It got quite warm in the tent so my husband ended up having a nice nap in there in the afternoon after a bad nights sleep.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Timeouts seem to have stopped working on our kid.

He's been in a hitting phase and every time he hits one of us we send him to timeout and he....goes happily? And stands in his room or in the corner dancing and giggling? Then will come out and hit us again and we send him back to timeout and he just goes "OK!" And runs back off to timeout like it's a reward almost.

We keep telling him he can just go dance without having to be put into timeout but I'm not sure that's sunk in yet?

Edit: he's 2.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
Highly recommend against hospital stays with a 3 year old.

He's so busy getting angry over wanting to go home and crying over a general crankiness from being exhausted that he's forgetting that his throat hurts because it was loving sliced apart under general anesthesia.

The hospital is incredible though.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
This kid needs to loving sleep and nobody sleeps in hospitals. Every time we're about to get him down they barge in to give him medicine or take his vitals or add more wires or change his IV or god knows what.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

That is why I went home ASAP after I had my kids. Not easy to recover.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

The 2 year old is having constant meltdowns at bed time over his toys and stuffed animals not being in exactly the right place.

Is it just a phase? He gets into screaming thrashing meltdown phase every night it seems.

Do we just take all the toys away and let him melt down but hopefully he will go to sleep without the distractions?

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

L0cke17 posted:

The 2 year old is having constant meltdowns at bed time over his toys and stuffed animals not being in exactly the right place.

Is it just a phase? He gets into screaming thrashing meltdown phase every night it seems.

Do we just take all the toys away and let him melt down but hopefully he will go to sleep without the distractions?

My son did this. We allowed stuffed animals but kept a firm rule of no hard toys just to keep the amount of things manageable. Eventually just had his various requirements memorized even though he’d throw the occasional curveball. It eventually did just go way after a couple months.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

My son needs his 2 specific stuffed animals and my daughter needs 4. Daughter needs 3 different blankets and my son needs only 1.

Bedtime has been hell for us lately.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

L0cke17 posted:

We’ve somehow settled on 2 stuffed animals and 2 blankets, the pink one always on top of the blue one. The one hard and fast rule that we don’t bend on are no hard toys. Even the second stuffed animal took a very long time for us to give into because we can’t easily buy 2 or 3 of them but we’ve made our peace. I think it could have easily spiraled into 4 or 5 if we didn’t hold firm for a few months.

I’m basically trying to protect us from a late night vomit incident because if there are like 5 of those fuckers needed and 4 of them get thrown up on, that baby ain’t going to sleep for the whole night.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Being in covid isolation is the worst. At 3 he understands boredom but we're all too wiped to constantly come up with interesting things to do. He doesn't even like iPad or TV for more than like 15 minutes at max. I feel like I'm going slowly insane

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Our daughter needs her favorite two, now clipped, wub-a-nubs. There are others that she likes to have, but they aren't mandatory. She also must sleep with her small copy of Chicka Chicka Boom Boom on the top portion of her pillow, as she'll go through it when she wakes up in the morning. She also doesn't quite know how to put the blanket on herself in the middle of the night, so sometimes we are woken up by, "cover up mine toes!"

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Koivunen posted:

Letting off some steam quick. I had to leave work and pick up my kids from daycare because they are sick AGAIN. I have missed so much work, and I don’t have sick time or PTO. Daycare doesn’t refund for sick kids, but they can’t come back until they have a negative covid test and are fever free for 24h.

They have been sick CONSTANTLY for what feels like forever. I haven’t been able to hang out with my friends in months because my kids have been sick. One of my closest friends has a four month old who I haven’t met yet because my kids are sick. I have hung out with one mom friend and her kids in the last… six months? Grandparents have been busy and not able to help as much as usual. I’m feeling extremely isolated. They were with their dad for July 4th so I got a day to myself, but then I was sick so it was no fun.

Come on, universe, can’t my kids just have a little break?? Can’t I just have a little break??

we have a 4 and 2 year old. The 4 year old got pretty sick when we first sent him to daycare. The two year old was CONSTANTLY SICK FOREVER. We both have asthma and both of the kids do too. We give them inhalers and stuff.

We moved to a new daycare (from a 3-5 kid daycare to a large center) in Feb and the kids predictably got even more sick, regularly. We just moved again to a new daycare where you have to scan temperatures every day in the morning. We have now had no sickness in the house for almost two months. It's loving amazing.

The doctor also said, and I've literally never heard this before: "if your kid has asthma, your kid might have gut issues and skin issues (like eczema) and those are all things that make your immune system work harder than normal. We'll test for allergies and if that's the case then your kid should take zyrtec every day, which will probably result in them getting less sick overall". We did a full allergy panel about 8 months ago, before all of this, and she was negative. They gave her some blood test a couple of days ago and found <something> was high which showed she was allergic to something. So we're giving her zyrtec right now which hopefully helps her be less sick.

We're also running corsi cubes at home a lot and I mask up any time someone gets sick. We have a humidifier running non-stop in her room too. Just, whatever we can do that helps. All of it together seems to help!

Edit: also, I've been told by a bunch of people that if you send your kids to daycare, they will definitely get very sick a lot (and they do, although the first year of covid was a sickness holiday somehow). They are ok by the time they go to school. When the no-daycare kids go to school, they get super sick all the time there, at first. So it happens anyway but you sort of get to choose when.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
In my heart I knew they would get sick a lot, but in my mind I had no idea that “a lot” meant literally constantly. I would rather get it out of the way now and just have them miss out on basically play time, instead of missing out on school. It’s just a lot! And I know I’m preaching to the choir.

Another vent incoming: It looks like the divorce will be coming to an end soon, it will have been almost a year and a half since it started. My ex is getting everything he wanted financially because he continued to fight and fight, and I literally cannot afford to fight any more. I will spare the details because they are boring, but screw this state for being no-fault, and screw the legal system for awarding destructive and malicious behavior with money. My ex came to see the kids this morning and ridiculed me for having spent so much money on a lawyer while he’s getting more than he thought he was going to. Between forking over half of our kid’s nest egg, lawyer money, and covering my unpaid maternity leave for OUR baby by myself, I am essentially wiping out my entire savings.

He said “I have to look out for myself.”

He yet again tried to gaslight me and tell me all the things that I did wrong and how I was so mean and his life is in shambles and I kicked him out and bla bla bla. I’m so livid, I just want to scream at him but I can’t because the kids are right there. Trying to tell myself that it’s just money, hopefully one day I will be able to start saving again, and at least I have full custody of my kids, but god, it’s really rubbing salt in the wound.

I’m going to a friend’s wedding tomorrow, lol.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
loving infuriating!!!

At least when the kids get to school in a few years you can make full time nurse money. My god.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

What kind of hosed up legal system awards full custody while letting him walk away with more than he expected

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Koivunen posted:

In my heart I knew they would get sick a lot, but in my mind I had no idea that “a lot” meant literally constantly. I would rather get it out of the way now and just have them miss out on basically play time, instead of missing out on school. It’s just a lot! And I know I’m preaching to the choir.

Another vent incoming: It looks like the divorce will be coming to an end soon, it will have been almost a year and a half since it started. My ex is getting everything he wanted financially because he continued to fight and fight, and I literally cannot afford to fight any more. I will spare the details because they are boring, but screw this state for being no-fault, and screw the legal system for awarding destructive and malicious behavior with money. My ex came to see the kids this morning and ridiculed me for having spent so much money on a lawyer while he’s getting more than he thought he was going to. Between forking over half of our kid’s nest egg, lawyer money, and covering my unpaid maternity leave for OUR baby by myself, I am essentially wiping out my entire savings.

He said “I have to look out for myself.”

He yet again tried to gaslight me and tell me all the things that I did wrong and how I was so mean and his life is in shambles and I kicked him out and bla bla bla. I’m so livid, I just want to scream at him but I can’t because the kids are right there. Trying to tell myself that it’s just money, hopefully one day I will be able to start saving again, and at least I have full custody of my kids, but god, it’s really rubbing salt in the wound.

I’m going to a friend’s wedding tomorrow, lol.

Christ what an rear end in a top hat. It really loving sucks that adults can be so lovely with no consequences

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Trip update: a pretty relaxing ten days all told. Kids had a blast, although they're both mopey since they're leaving their nanny/papa behind as well as their aunt, uncle, and cousins. And the latter's golden retriever. Other than that it's been a week and a half of family and laughter.

It's also amazing what difference a ten degree difference can make. In Austin it's been close to 100 and we were miserable. Here in NC on the trip? Close to 90 and not nearly as bad, but we're flying back to an extreme heat advisory. The airport experience was also markedly different but then ABIA just sucks.

The only black mark was I had a moment's weakness re nicotine on Friday but I solved that with some lozenges that i bought.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

It's also been drat freaking hot for NC the last week, at least in the Raleigh area.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

It has been so hot here that we have to do our walk before morning snack because it is already almost 90. It was over 100° before noon today, it sucks.

The potty has been very promising. Despite us not prompting as it isn't potty training go time he will occasionally ask to go on it and will usually pee after a bit of getting comfortable and reading. Still no sign of being concerned about crapping himself though, and those are the diapers that I really look forward to not having to deal with.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Weekends with a 2 year old are loving miserable when the weather doesn’t cooperate

Christe Eleison
Feb 1, 2010

nachos posted:

Weekends with a 2 year old are loving miserable when the weather doesn’t cooperate

Dealing with three kids in 90+ temps today. Got them out before 8:30 but they were fuuuuurious about going out with the dog for a walk an hour or two after that. Gonna be a movie day I think.

Dobbs_Head
May 8, 2008

nano nano nano

My 3 year old told her first dick joke. She was cutting up some paper for art time and starts walking around with some paper trailing behind her. She says, “I got a man tail.”

My wife clarifies, “what do you have?”

“A man tail”

“What is a man tail?”

She puts the strip of paper in front of her crotch and wiggles it around.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

lmao

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

edit:

Alterian posted:

It's also been drat freaking hot for NC the last week, at least in the Raleigh area.

I was in MN for all last week. Beautiful weather. Came back today to 70 and rainy in NC, I'll take it over 90 and ball-stickingly humid like summer normally is.

Grandparents met their 2 year old grandson for the first time. He was huggy af and happy as hell (after the first day, of course).

Got the 4.5 year old on some rides at MoA. Looks like we might have an adrenaline junkie on our hands. Went on everything she was tall enough for and she just wanted more and more.

Kids were a goddamn wreck tonight, but they're out cold now after a long rear end day of travel. Maybe we can get them back to something close to a regular schedule, but lmao sucks to be day care teachers tomorrow, those two are a wreck.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jul 11, 2022

Renegret
May 26, 2007

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

My almost 14 month old has had like this unbelievable speech explosion suddenly. She loves to babble and talk so much and has picked up a lot of different words in the last few weeks while we were on our horrible nightmare vacation, but the most hilarious thing is that she has picked up the phrase "what are you doing?" Basically all day toddles up to us and asks that over and over.

Her other favorite thing now is yelling the word SHOE (and shoes in general), and E-I-E-I-O, which she pronounces kinda like "yayayo." It's hilarious and actually kind of incredible what they absorb. She understands so many words I'm kind of shocked and have no idea where she picked half of them up. There's a sesame street song about raising your hand up high, and the second she hears it she puts her hands up above her head with a giant grin on her face. Like where did that come from?!

Feeling very happy and extremely positive for the first time in a bit.

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

hallo spacedog posted:

My almost 14 month old has had like this unbelievable speech explosion suddenly. She loves to babble and talk so much and has picked up a lot of different words in the last few weeks while we were on our horrible nightmare vacation, but the most hilarious thing is that she has picked up the phrase "what are you doing?" Basically all day toddles up to us and asks that over and over.

Her other favorite thing now is yelling the word SHOE (and shoes in general), and E-I-E-I-O, which she pronounces kinda like "yayayo." It's hilarious and actually kind of incredible what they absorb. She understands so many words I'm kind of shocked and have no idea where she picked half of them up. There's a sesame street song about raising your hand up high, and the second she hears it she puts her hands up above her head with a giant grin on her face. Like where did that come from?!

Feeling very happy and extremely positive for the first time in a bit.

The language explosion is so fun! We’re going through that now at near 21 months. At 14 months she just had mama and animal noises. Now she’s learning new words just about every day. She’s constantly saying hi and buh-bye to everything and really likes saying baby. She’s able to express when she wants to go outside and to the park with “ow-sigh” and “pa”. She’s even got a bunch of her letters down.

She just got super into Winnie the Pooh and can say Pooh (Pooh), Piglet (Pi), Tigger (Ti), Owl (Ow), and Roo (Roo). She has Disney Store plushies of Tigger, Piglet and Eeyore that she’s become attached to, so I guess I need to get her a matching Pooh.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah in the last 45 days we've hit the language explosion as well. She can now name just about anything she can pick up (fork, spoon, cup, ball) and has a firm grasp on "table" but struggles to identify what makes a couch a couch (but can say couch) recently she suprised us by cracking open a new picture book from the book shelf, pointing at a flag and saying "bandera!" (flag in spanish). she can say all of the main colors but has no idea what they mean. she repeats what i say to "ok google" and what the car nav system says

we also went from a very verbal child, to one that grunts and squeals in frustration, rather than use words. previously she would say "cup" and reach for it, now she just stares at it and squeals in frustration

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Kid was picking up a ton of words today from all sorts of things which led to Mrs Pony saying "he's such a little parrot".

Cue him saying "parrot" over and over.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Hadlock posted:

we also went from a very verbal child, to one that grunts and squeals in frustration, rather than use words. previously she would say "cup" and reach for it, now she just stares at it and squeals in frustration

Ours does this too. Feels like the more their language develops, the less it’s used when they are frustrated.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Shifty Pony posted:

Kid was picking up a ton of words today from all sorts of things which led to Mrs Pony saying "he's such a little parrot".

Cue him saying "parrot" over and over.

That's god drat adorable.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Daughter status: she will sleep through the night without peeing in her diaper, ask to sit on the potty in the morning and watch Peppa Pig, and then get off twenty minutes later insisting on a new diaper which she will promptly fill with pee. C'mon man!

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Baby poops a giant amount in his diaper.

Get him to the changing table.

"Did you go poopoo?"

"No, I poo poo!"

Abyss
Oct 29, 2011
Our daughter talks all the time at home, but if she's ever in an environment where she's not immediately familiar with someone, she'll take 15-20 minutes before she engages. We think that's pretty smart and both of us are like that in any given social situation. This morning we heard her reading Chika Chika Boom Boom, she has most of the boom memorized and is able to sing all her ABCs, though she misses 'M.' Still super proud of her at 2 years, 3 months, and we were able to get that all on video which is rare because she has a sixth sense when we are filming her and will stop everything.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
My 18 month old is speech delayed :( he blew through every other milestone so fast, but the only words he says are doggie and just very recently bye. It’s just frustrating because the two doctors I’ve been to have given me advice and I already do those things! He’s just not interested in talking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
My son was also speech delayed. And had a bit of a lisp. It can for sure be discouraging.

However, we got him into a preschool speech therapy program through our school district at age 3/4 and now he’s 8 and a chatterbox with only the very rare difficult pronunciation.