Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Xeno
gears
saga
blade
View Results

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

More Xenoblade games should feature Wir Fliegen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kris xK
Apr 23, 2010
I really enjoyed XCX, IIRC you could sequence break pretty good by getting some random mech hidden on some random island. You could then stomp around at will, it was pretty great.

That and being irritated by the city music are the two main memories.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

The NLA day theme has about 10 seconds of vocals that are pretty close to being 1:1 from Dragon's Dogma's Cassardis theme. It sounds really out of place and bothers me every time I hear it.

turn off the TV fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Jul 11, 2022

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Imagine hating either version of the New LA theme. That would be hosed up.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

chumbler posted:

Imagine hating either version of the New LA theme. That would be hosed up.

Uh uh uh Yeah!

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Evil Fluffy posted:

I don't think you've actually played XCX.

4 members over 3 felt like a huge jump at least to me, coming from XC1. XC3 is probably gonna feel insane although technically the previous game had 6 damage dealers onscreen.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

Despite having more of them your other party members are a lot less important in X. Earlier in the game they're useful but by endgame/postgame all they do is commit insurance fraud with your robots. The AI is programmed to never use superweapons, which is the entire point of having robots.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

Elma serving up Ghost Factories is really all the AI is good for, and even then you can just play as her and do it yourself much more efficiently.

(Ok I guess Tanks doing Tank Things is also useful in certain circumstances)

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's cool they were willing to try out so much, completely different stuff in XCX. Sure there are obvious things like the Mechs but even the way they handled targetable parts of monsters was a neat feature.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DLC Inc posted:

there's literally a tiny jar jar binks race in that game, if anything XCX needed more Nopon and less of the other little freaks

They are not even remotely tiny jar jar binkses, except maybe in appearance. The whole problem with jar jar binks was the way he acted/talked, but the Manon are all cool guys/gals with a large variety of different personalities. Please do not call them "freaks."

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Are the Manon the ones that get obsessed with pizza?

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I didn't understand why they gave the Manon such grating voices until I got to the part with the woman who commits suicide when her restaurant got popular with them. It all clicked.

Electric Phantasm posted:

Are the Manon the ones that get obsessed with pizza?

Yes.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

Please do not call them "freaks."

Freaks is SWIFTLY becoming one of those words that qualifies the user FAR more than the recipient.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

'freaks' is a protected word in the xenoverse, sorry folks

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I saw one of the previews confirm that the stutter-step stuff from Xenoblade 2 is *not* in Xenoblade 3. Happy to hear that.

edit: And apparently auto-attacks don't form combos in like XC2 and are instead more like they were in XC1.

This same video also mentions one of the advantages of the character switching that I hadn't considered (even though it seems kind of obvious). I had previously thought of the issue with not knowing if AI characters have abilities active (so you might switch characters only to find they have no abilities up), but due to the way XC3 has these AoE effects in a radius around characters, you can do something like switch to a healer or tank and just move them near the characters who need healing/production. I imagine that's part of why they made healing/tanking/buffing skills work this way.

edit: Haven't heard this before, the Main Title screen theme apparently - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9X29062lEs

turn off the TV posted:

I didn't understand why they gave the Manon such grating voices until I got to the part with the woman who commits suicide when her restaurant got popular with them. It all clicked.

No. Manon have the voices of angels.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jul 11, 2022

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

glassyalabolas posted:

The last time they were available was June 30th. Nothing more since then.

FWIW, the Special Edition won't ship until the Fall, so there might be a chance for more down the road.

ah i assumed it was like once a week or some poo poo. oh well!

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

The Manon kicked rear end and were my favorite of the alien species

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The idea that they are looking at how Xenoblade 1 did combat and thinking it’s a good idea to bring back is extremely concerning

Xenoblade 1s combat is so so bad

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It doesn't really look much like Xenoblade 1 combat at all imo.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

The idea that they are looking at how Xenoblade 1 did combat and thinking it’s a good idea to bring back is extremely concerning

Xenoblade 1s combat is so so bad

If you're referring to my post, I was only talking about auto-attacks apparently not coming in combos (so there's no need for weird optimization involving the gap between each attack or differkng damage fir each attack). I believe that in XB1 auto-attacks were just the same regularly repeating attack without varying damage.

The overall gameplay is definitely way closer to 2 than 1.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I liked/prefer XB1'a combat :kiddo:

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I at least understand better how to do XB1's combat, but XB2 was neat too. This game's gonna have its own different style too.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Xenoblade Chronicles 1 may not have the deepest combat, but I give it a pass and I still love it to death because it's the only Xenoblade entry so far where I didn't need to constantly rely upon the internet in order to understand basic game mechanics

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
That’s surprising because while neither game is very good at describing what’s going on. XB2 is much easier to understand.

I still barely understand what exactly 1 was trying to do and at this point it ain’t worth learning

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Sounds like a you problem tbh

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Well they seem to have killed 1s combat so apparently not

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I like, eventually got there, but XB2's combat is comically hard to understand and is pretty anti user friendly. There's a reason why all these XB3 previewers are going "the tutorial is good this time guys"

Props to you if you found it not bad, I think you should consider getting an engineering degree or something

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
As badly tutorialized as it was. I also grasped XC2's combat system more easily than XC1's. I actually sort of gave up on the latter and turned the difficulty down to easy.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RuBisCO posted:

I liked/prefer XB1'a combat :kiddo:

Tbh I also preferred it to XB2's overall. XB2's combat is super boring until the late-game, and even then it's not really necessary to understand mechanics and the actual meaningful gameplay mostly just consists of choosing your team and arts correctly.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I'm playing through 2 for the first time at the moment and I'm really not sure how I feel about its combat. The arts cancelling stuff is neat, but it also basically makes positioning pointless since all you really care about is doing specials on enemies with break. There's basically no room in its systems for doing stuff like reflecting fortress unit's titan stomps or putting any thought into chain attacks.

The previews for 3 have made me a little worried since apparently there are even fewer options for building characters and its combat looks a lot like 2's.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
You get 7 arts instead of just 3 tho so it's more like 1's.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010

turn off the TV posted:

I'm playing through 2 for the first time at the moment and I'm really not sure how I feel about its combat. The arts cancelling stuff is neat, but it also basically makes positioning pointless since all you really care about is doing specials on enemies with break. There's basically no room in its systems for doing stuff like reflecting fortress unit's titan stomps or putting any thought into chain attacks.

The previews for 3 have made me a little worried since apparently there are even fewer options for building characters and its combat looks a lot like 2's.

Hrmm, the Official Game Overviews from Nintendo make it seem like positioning and different roles characters have being much more important than in 2, with things like only Healer role characters being able to revive fallen allies, or having to successfully play your combat role to build your special meter. It'll be pretty disappointing if all that is irrelevant to just, like, locking enemies down with the Combo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kris xK posted:

I really enjoyed XCX, IIRC you could sequence break pretty good by getting some random mech hidden on some random island. You could then stomp around at will, it was pretty great.

That and being irritated by the city music are the two main memories.

The only hidden mech I can think of is one you can get from a character's final affinity mission that is easy to produce and sells for a bunch of money (which you can then use to buy the regular end game mechs which were much stronger since this mech was level 50 and the best shop ones are level 60 iirc).

RuBisCO posted:

I like, eventually got there, but XB2's combat is comically hard to understand and is pretty anti user friendly. There's a reason why all these XB3 previewers are going "the tutorial is good this time guys"

Props to you if you found it not bad, I think you should consider getting an engineering degree or something

My issue with XB2's combat was that I didn't immediately setup my team to do full driver combos ASAP and once I did oh hey poo poo just absolutely melts now while showing the area in items and healing potions.

Like, my party killed stuff decently fast but once I had a proper driver combo spam setup I think I was able to farm some level 60 boss at level 50 in about 30-45 seconds per kill and with no real risk of dying because Nia or someone else would just grab the billion healing potions if someone was hurt.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I felt like XC1’s combat was easy to learn, difficult to master. Some characters were easy to be good with (Dunban) and some were difficult to learn but paid off when you did (Melia).

XC2’s combat was difficult to learn, difficult to master and you got new mechanics at a snail’s pace which made it annoying. But once you master it and can hit max damage you feel like a total badass. They just do a poo poo job of explaining things. Did they patch in the ability to see old tutorial messages? drat that game was a mess at launch, thanks BOTW!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
I don’t really think driver combos are a necessity but one of them or blade combos/chain attacks definitely are. If you sidequest at all and use inns the game is pretty easy really.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I enjoyed XC1's combat more than XC2's, especially later on when there was little point in doing anything besides holding down the Double Spinning Edge button until it was chain attack time.

God, Lightspeed Flurry was dumb.

Mea Tulpa
Sep 4, 2006

XC2 has one of the most complicated battle systems I can think of offhand, but you don't have to engage with it deeply in the main game.

I think the XC series draws a lot of inspiration from Xenosaga 2's combat. That game forced you to use its mechanics, and people hated it. Monolith probably learned some lessons back then. The combat style also flows a lot better with XC's real time battles.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I like XB1's combat well enough, but coming to it from 2 it feels like it has a lot more frustrating things in it. The vision mechanic is the biggest, but there's also fights with gimmicks that just don't feel good in this battle system.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I’m super psyched for the XB3 battle system.

Love class systems, I’m hoping it’ll scratch the itch games like Bravely Default do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

turn off the TV posted:

The previews for 3 have made me a little worried since apparently there are even fewer options for building characters

What

you literally have a job system and the ability to mix and match arts from different classes and then fusing them for bigger attacks