Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Eopia posted:

Mortal Savant Lysithea being good is great news to me, because on my first Three Houses run that's exactly how I trained her so I wanted to do it again.

The swordmaster line is bonker fast and surprisingly safe because with how many hits it does it simply stunlocks everything, it can break through guards by sheer brute force without slowing down, and expose/deplete break gauges by the same means.

Just, you know, equip a Levin sword so she can deal damage before she masters MS. I think myrmidons don't have the sword rank for it but intermediate classes can be mastered in a chapter by training.

E: she also has innate darkness whenever she sends anybody flying, with the related status effect disabling the guard action but better (affected units can still guard but it does nothing)

Omobono fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Jul 10, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

For people who have finished at least one playthrough, is it worth it to try playing through each route on a New file to "get the full experience" (whatever that might be) or should I just go for new game + on my subsequent runs?

I only just got to part 2 of GD, so I've still got a ways to go...

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Inu posted:

For people who have finished at least one playthrough, is it worth it to try playing through each route on a New file to "get the full experience" (whatever that might be) or should I just go for new game + on my subsequent runs?

I only just got to part 2 of GD, so I've still got a ways to go...

There are things you can only get on each route, Hauteclaire is SB, Graduvius AG, Parthia GW, as well as the unique relics. All of that carries over. If you skip all cutscenes and go for speed you've got maybe10 hours to just clear a route and move on? whether that's worth it is up to you. The story can be quite different, AG is the most different this time around, why SB is closer to GW just with the Empire in the driver's seat.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I don't think it's worth doing a fresh restart for each route. If you want the combat to still be a challenge in NG+ you have the option to reset the character levels to 1 while keeping everything else, or you can play on Maddening difficulty which basically just scales all the enemy stats up to match the strength of an endgame character.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Edie is at least bi because of the incredible sexual tension with Claude.

Although I'd argue that basically everyone is bi because of the incredible sexual tension with Claude.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.
Oh well this is interesting. There's a paralogue in NG+ for one of the characters that you buy with bonus renown. Don't know if it's restricted to the bad route or not though. I got it rerunning AG and doing the opposite path to fight Byleth since I did it correctly the first time. It's an Arval paralogue specifically. It seems to going into more detail on Epimenides and Nemesis.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Eopia posted:

Oh well this is interesting. There's a paralogue in NG+ for one of the characters that you buy with bonus renown. Don't know if it's restricted to the bad route or not though. I got it rerunning AG and doing the opposite path to fight Byleth since I did it correctly the first time. It's an Arval paralogue specifically. It seems to going into more detail on Epimenides and Nemesis.

Bad route only. Specifically you have to have unlocked Byleth on the previous run, and then unlocked Arval and killed Byleth. I wish it was more detailed because it's still very vague about that time period.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Eopia posted:

Mortal Savant Lysithea being good is great news to me, because on my first Three Houses run that's exactly how I trained her so I wanted to do it again.

Three Houses makes you jump through a bunch of hoops or use specific characters to make swordmages, whereas in Three Hopes caster hybrids are basically flat out superior to either pure jocks or pure nerds in most cases because you get the speed, safety, and versatility of a physical moveset with the ability of the magic combat arts to simply delete a field.

Lysithea(and Lorenz) are merely especially good at it because they get the ability to overload their magic stat instead of needing somewhat of a balance.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
So I've recently started down the path of Mortal Savant Lysithea and Lorenz and both of them are monsters on it. I'm also having Lorenz detour in Warlock for spells and whatnot but it's glorious watching them tear up battlefields.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So does anything change for AG on the bad route besides Rodrigue being killed?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
They're both the bad route.

Looking over the event log, there appear to be four cutscenes around chapter 14 that you don't get on the Ashen Demon route. Two of those are bound to be alternate versions of Heaven and Earth and Death of the Demon, which are the cutscenes of Shez killing Byleth and Arval being stoked about it, but that leaves two cutscenes unaccounted for.

It's probably nothing major, but something must play out differently.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

I don't think it's worth doing a fresh restart for each route. If you want the combat to still be a challenge in NG+ you have the option to reset the character levels to 1 while keeping everything else, or you can play on Maddening difficulty which basically just scales all the enemy stats up to match the strength of an endgame character.

The problem is "keeping everything else" means weapons and poo poo, which means either you have to tediously keep your weapons at a certain level or else you might as well be level 900

Also for Lysethia-Sword give her enough levels in the Thief tree to get Shadowstrike, which is

A) Absurdly low cooldown with her crest sword
B) Dark element so she can use her passive on it
C) So strong in her hands that you can use it to effectively delete any enemy.

It's better than any other choice she has because it is cheap, spammable, and still does ridiculous damage.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 10, 2022

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
You can get Gradivus on other routes, it’s just random from A tank rusteds.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

ImpAtom posted:

B) Dark element so she can use her passive on it

While stronger than in the first FEW, mooks still have no poise* and will get sent flying by any weapon skill or magic, triggering a dark explosion with Lysithea's passive. I'd rather use another elemental move than doubling up on dark.

(Note: dark spikes or whatever the name is both dark elemental and gently caress cavalry elemental)

*Borrowing a soulsborne term

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omobono posted:

While stronger than in the first FEW, mooks still have no poise* and will get sent flying by any weapon skill or magic, triggering a dark explosion with Lysithea's passive. I'd rather use another elemental move than doubling up on dark.

(Note: dark spikes or whatever the name is both dark elemental and gently caress cavalry elemental)

*Borrowing a soulsborne term

You send them flying and then use her passive to bring anything left alive back in so you can continuing wrecking their poo poo. Another element generally isn't necessary because nothing survives long enough to even apply it.

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Hunt11 posted:

So does anything change for AG on the bad route besides Rodrigue being killed?

To answer your question No, not really. Rodrigue dies and you fight and kill Byleth in the mission where you kill Duke Aegir but other than showing up after literally every other enemy is gone it's identical. The final mission is also identical, no changes whatsoever. I guess you also kill Myson in the mission beforehand as there's no paralogue with Jeralt and he doesn't show up again but eh.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
everyone is op as a mortal savant because swords are dramatically better then axes and lances fall off when you stop having the swirl your lance around while prancing about on a horse move from the master tiers

sword emblem

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Gamerofthegame posted:

everyone is op as a mortal savant because swords are dramatically better then axes and lances fall off when you stop having the swirl your lance around while prancing about on a horse move from the master tiers

sword emblem

Now the hourglass turns for swords and not wyverns!

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alright, I finished SB for my first run. Definitlely regret killing so many people (especially a certain character the game goes out of its way to warn you about that I blew past) because I feel like a lot of the deeper mysteries didn’t get resolved there. But I liked the plot for what it was, and look forward to trying harder next time now that I know what I’m doing.

Think I’m gonna do blue lions next, since you all seem so hard on it that it feels like it ought to be a middle chapter. Then I’ll finish with Claude and see if his smile will finally reach his eyes.

I’m really really impressed with this game; it’s an excellent musou by that standard alone, but all the camp/character building stuff you do on the meta level, and the effort they put into the writing and production to make it capture the look and feel of three houses, my expectations are surpassed here. Between this and age of calamity (which unfortunately wasn’t an amazing game, but i respected the creative choices) i look forward to seeing what the Nintendo musous are gonna be like going forward.

I did notice that the mission structure got very samey very fast, if I had to pick something to complain about, but the gameplay was so fun that I didn’t really mind. I also liked the order system; just involved enough to make you feel like you’re a commander instead of just a guy with a sword, but not so complex that you actually have to be any smarter than just a guy with a sword

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Ainsley McTree posted:

I did notice that the mission structure got very samey very fast, if I had to pick something to complain about, but the gameplay was so fun that I didn’t really mind. I also liked the order system; just involved enough to make you feel like you’re a commander instead of just a guy with a sword, but not so complex that you actually have to be any smarter than just a guy with a sword
im now going to imagine that the little chevrons indicating enemy weaknesses are, essentially, someone else color-coding the map because shez's tactical know-how begins and ends with "group up and hit it 'till it dies!"

edit: it occurs to me that that's literally the entire point of the ZR menu on the map

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
It is funny that one of Shez's dislikes is "reading maps" when the whole order system requires you to spend a significant amount of time looking at maps

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I'm a single chapter from the end of AG and I have like 20 supports I need to get with characters not in other routes. It's kinda annoying.

Meanwhile Shez has maxed out A ranks with literally everyone recruitwble, but Dedue is still not b rank with Ingrid...

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m really really impressed with this game; it’s an excellent musou by that standard alone, but all the camp/character building stuff you do on the meta level, and the effort they put into the writing and production to make it capture the look and feel of three houses, my expectations are surpassed here. Between this and age of calamity (which unfortunately wasn’t an amazing game, but i respected the creative choices) i look forward to seeing what the Nintendo musous are gonna be like going forward.

Honestly it's kind of unfortunate that it doesn't seem likely that we're going to get HW's adventure mode in any other game because that really did give a lot more longevity to the game than anything postgame since. The closest thing to "challenge maps" are a literal handful per run of "no dodging" or "male units only", crafting materials only exist seemingly as a nod to "well it's a nintendo musou it has to have crafting materials", and it veers so hard away from the usual "bang action figures together noncanonically" that you can't even do that on NG+ outside of the record room if you want to replay missions for no real reward or progression reason.

I'm wrapping up route 3 but it's a lot more "I want to see where all 3 stories/supports go" than anything at this point

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
Hah, I saw that in the postgame checking supports, Claude Edelgarde and Dimitri have listed C-supports-with-text with each other, I used the records battles to get them up but couldn't figure out if there was ever a way at any point to get them technically "on the roster" with you so that you could actually see the support...but checking the support log from the title screen, it appears that the game just records their "C-supports" as their Into The Chasm discussions with each other. Alas.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

I'm liking the supports, but I still have some misgivings at everyone, and I mean everyone, staring at their interlocutor's chest and/or abs. Not that I don't understand but faces and eyes are further upwards you know?

I'm not imagining it right? They did accidentally put the focus point for the models' eyes too low during a lot of conversations

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Honestly it's kind of unfortunate that it doesn't seem likely that we're going to get HW's adventure mode in any other game because that really did give a lot more longevity to the game than anything postgame since. The closest thing to "challenge maps" are a literal handful per run of "no dodging" or "male units only", crafting materials only exist seemingly as a nod to "well it's a nintendo musou it has to have crafting materials", and it veers so hard away from the usual "bang action figures together noncanonically" that you can't even do that on NG+ outside of the record room if you want to replay missions for no real reward or progression reason.

I'm wrapping up route 3 but it's a lot more "I want to see where all 3 stories/supports go" than anything at this point
this is exactly why i like this game more lol, i would never engage with the 1 million hour postgame anyway so i appreciate all the focus going towards the part of the game i actually care about

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
yea but it could do with less mandatory filler episodes in between the plot battles

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Scarlet blaze chapter 12: who the gently caress where those two nobody thieves that got a death closeup during the chapter mission?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Minor Houses villains; Pallardo was the boss of the first post-timeskip map and Anna's paralogue, and Metodey was a flame emperor goon who showed up on a couple White Clouds maps and I think also Cindered Shadows.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

while I wish there was a proper free mode that you could replay stages in without having to go through the camp, the story mode makes it worth it for me. i think it's in the same category as dw7 for quality of their main story paths

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

KittyEmpress posted:

I'm a single chapter from the end of AG and I have like 20 supports I need to get with characters not in other routes. It's kinda annoying.

Meanwhile Shez has maxed out A ranks with literally everyone recruitwble, but Dedue is still not b rank with Ingrid...

How many chapters are there? Part II throws a ton of new recruits at you and I have concerns about getting all of the supports. I just started Part II so I assume I have some time, but I'm not sure how much.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

One of my biggest mechanical annoyances is that you can't train or deploy the secret characters outside of replaying maps. It's an extra level of frustration that means I've barely used them. They even have unique partner specials. :argh:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

lmao this guy sucks so much, even for a one note filler villain he's dogshit.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Eimi posted:

One of my biggest mechanical annoyances is that you can't train or deploy the secret characters outside of replaying maps. It's an extra level of frustration that means I've barely used them. They even have unique partner specials. :argh:

Yeah I know there's at least one paralogue I missed from flubbing picking up Byleth on a playthrough but I think I'm pretty done with this until DLC unless redoing a route you've already done lets you interact with your "Other" roster in a meaningful way

Raserys posted:

while I wish there was a proper free mode that you could replay stages in without having to go through the camp, the story mode makes it worth it for me. i think it's in the same category as dw7 for quality of their main story paths

Yeah story/supports is def. The Draw for this game, I just miss having replayability that actually felt like there was a reason for replaying it

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 11, 2022

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Sydin posted:

lmao this guy sucks so much, even for a one note filler villain he's dogshit.

That and because his name is Me Toadie. It's hilarious and I love the memes about him because of how lame he is.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I like Pallardo because he has stupid voice and he voiced by the same dude who did Raven from Tales of Vesperia

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I like him because he has some kind of magical body double ability that is never explained but he does it literally every time you fight him across both games.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Alright I have a modicum of interest in this game but I have to ask.

Mechanically how is TH's gameplay when compared to Dynasty Warriors or Warriors Orochi? I was down for Dragon Quest Warriors but the fact that the game far more like a Tower Defense game eventually soured my enthusiasm towards it.

Hubert is like 'you know the evil vizier/advisor in many Fire Emblem games? Well now you can play as/marry him'

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jul 11, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

This is very Dynasty Warriors. You have a weapon triangle, class systems, and combat arts/magic to take care of, but other than that it is killing far too many enemies for one person to reasonably handle easily before struggling to fight off Lu Bu.